Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010, 03:08 AM

SunSeeker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Aruba gets tram

After Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague, a fourth city in the kingdom of the Netherlands gets a tram: Oranjestad Aruba.

A half year from now the building of the line will start and the three kilometers long line should be ready in 2012.

Aruba is the financing of the railway line, but it involves cooperation with the The Hague tram company HTM. HTM will help Aruba especially with the exploitation and other logistical issues. The tram must connect the port and the center of Oranjestad. This way the thousands of cruise tourists can easily reach the city center.
Old Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aruba gets tram

I think this issue has to do with these articles:

Stop on public transport permits
February 1, 2010, 12:48 (GMT -04:00)

Email this article
Print this article

ORANGE CITY - The Minister of Tourism, Labor & Transportation Otmar Oduber (AVP) has a moratorium of two years on new permits to include taxis, buses, touring, car hire and rental motorcycles.

The scheme was introduced on the advice of Department of Public Transportation and Persons (DOPV). She has investigated the possible need for a moratorium. Currently, all licenses for taxis and buses forgiven. For rental cars is a limit of 4500 V-plates. Reason for not providing new permits is the plan of the Ministry to public transport on the island to restructure. There is an examination of how public transport can be improved, in view of developments in tourism and population growth.
Previously there was no moratorium on T (touring), O-(occasional), V (rental car) or MFV-(hire motorcycles) licenses. This need was not there, because these permits are seasonal and generally regulates the industry itself, the ministry said. To saturation and to prevent abuse of permits, is still decided that the moratorium also applies to these licenses. DOPV's investigation has also determined that there currently in the tourism sector, excluding cars, more permits in circulation than there actually be used. This year, all companies with licenses, those licenses are verified as genuine use. In general it is true that all permits for more than six months are not used, be repealed. This rule will, after the holder thereof has received notice, are actually implemented.
-------------

Tram in downtown
29 Jan, 2010, 12:54 (GMT -04:00) January 29, 2010, 12:54 (GMT -04:00)

ORANGE CITY - Prime Minister Mike Eman (AVP) examines the potential for a tram in the heart of Oranjestad. In . In the Netherlands, said the prime minister today with the Hague Tram Company (HTM).

Together they explore the technical and financial possibilities for a tram. This is the secretary of the cabinet Nicole Hoevertsz morning from the Netherlands to the newspaper announced.
In the context of urban renewal is the government looking for ways to make downtown attractive for both tourists and residents. The tramway would cruise tourists from the region until the end of the main street to transport. Moreover, guarded parking places along the tram ride, which lie outside the city. Staff and shoppers were able to park their cars there and then continue to drive the tram. “ "The tram is probably no modern interpretation, but rather a tourist. . As the open trams in San Francisco, "said Hoevertsz.
Besides a practical solution for more people to the downtown and to lure the city-traffic to the tram also a tourist attraction, said the secretary.

Last edited by lizzardo; Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
Mild Mannered Meek SuperModerator

sherry is on a distinguished road

that sure would be a neat thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
I think this issue has to do with these articles:

Stop on public transport permits
February 1, 2010, 12:48 (GMT -04:00)

Email this article
Print this article

ORANGE CITY - The Minister of Tourism, Labor & Transportation Otmar Oduber (AVP) has a moratorium of two years on new permits to include taxis, buses, touring, car hire and rental motorcycles.

The scheme was introduced on the advice of Department of Public Transportation and Persons (DOPV). She has investigated the possible need for a moratorium. Currently, all licenses for taxis and buses forgiven. For rental cars is a limit of 4500 V-plates. Reason for not providing new permits is the plan of the Ministry to public transport on the island to restructure. There is an examination of how public transport can be improved, in view of developments in tourism and population growth.
Previously there was no moratorium on T (touring), O-(occasional), V (rental car) or MFV-(hire motorcycles) licenses. This need was not there, because these permits are seasonal and generally regulates the industry itself, the ministry said. To saturation and to prevent abuse of permits, is still decided that the moratorium also applies to these licenses. DOPV's investigation has also determined that there currently in the tourism sector, excluding cars, more permits in circulation than there actually be used. This year, all companies with licenses, those licenses are verified as genuine use. In general it is true that all permits for more than six months are not used, be repealed. This rule will, after the holder thereof has received notice, are actually implemented.
-------------

Tram in downtown
29 Jan, 2010, 12:54 (GMT -04:00) January 29, 2010, 12:54 (GMT -04:00)

ORANGE CITY - Prime Minister Mike Eman (AVP) examines the potential for a tram in the heart of Oranjestad. In . In the Netherlands, said the prime minister today with the Hague Tram Company (HTM).

Together they explore the technical and financial possibilities for a tram. This is the secretary of the cabinet Nicole Hoevertsz morning from the Netherlands to the newspaper announced.
In the context of urban renewal is the government looking for ways to make downtown attractive for both tourists and residents. The tramway would cruise tourists from the region until the end of the main street to transport. Moreover, guarded parking places along the tram ride, which lie outside the city. Staff and shoppers were able to park their cars there and then continue to drive the tram. "The tram is probably no modern interpretation, but rather a tourist. . As the open trams in San Francisco, "said Hoevertsz.
Besides a practical solution for more people to the downtown and to lure the city-traffic to the tram also a tourist attraction, said the secretary.
Old Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010, 10:16 AM

aquaman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
that sure would be a neat thing.

I still believe they should address the issue of transportation for the whole island and not just an isolated area. Some may remember the post made as an April Fools joke regarding a monorail from the High Rise area through Oranjestad, Saveneta to Saint Nicholas. If this was done then as opposed to tourism and resort development being concentrated in one area (Palm Beach), then reat acces to efficent transportation could only assist in seeing other areas improved and developed or redeveloped, such as Saint Nicholas
Old Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

For a small island, I suppose the auto will be supreme in my lifetime.
All the same, I support efforts to make public transportation easier and efficient and cost-saving.
I'm not sure I understand the proposed route.
The present cruise terminal almost comes out in downtown.
If the container port moves and an improved cruise port moves out into the present industrial area, some kind of tram might work.
Old Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Aruba Expert

Who knows what will come out of it but at least they are looking into
the revitalization of town and also looking at the huge traffic
issues they have.

The car will always remain 'supreme'. I did see on TV a really
cool car they are introducing in CA. It's called the Toyota
Clarity. I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come! Google it.

Sorry for the off-topic (but it's really cool!)
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road

Liz, the Clarity is a Honda...................

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Aruba Expert

Thanks for the correction. Have been under the weather lately and been experiencing 'brain misfires'. It is a really cool car!
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 10:09 AM

ArubaMilie is on a distinguished road

I saw the plans.. I don't know much about it.. but I am not sure this will solve too much.... they need more parking downtown for one... and also improve the roads they have right now...and add some lanes on the main highways that still have 2 lanes (1 way each)... but hey, this might help some downtown.. you park one place, and hop on to do your errands....

Babymoon trip to West Coast- April 24-May 9
San Fran-Yosemite-Las Vegas-GC-UT NP's-Salt Lake City-Rapid City
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM

put a park and ride on the outskirts of both sides of downtown and have the tram take you everywhere. it's great for residents and tourists. then clearly mark the roads to navigate without driving downtown and it is perfect and unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaMilie View Post
I saw the plans.. I don't know much about it.. but I am not sure this will solve too much.... they need more parking downtown for one... and also improve the roads they have right now...and add some lanes on the main highways that still have 2 lanes (1 way each)... but hey, this might help some downtown.. you park one place, and hop on to do your errands....
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
put a park and ride on the outskirts of both sides of downtown and have the tram take you everywhere. it's great for residents and tourists. then clearly mark the roads to navigate without driving downtown and it is perfect and unique.

That sounds like a great idea - maybe you should be on the planning board. I really think that idea could work...
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 10:23 AM

ArubaMilie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Exactly.. that's what I meant with the park and hop on.. I worked on 2 park and rides here in GA... it's pretty common here.. I wonder if that's the reason why the main street downtown is shut down.. my dad said no more cars can drive through....

Babymoon trip to West Coast- April 24-May 9
San Fran-Yosemite-Las Vegas-GC-UT NP's-Salt Lake City-Rapid City
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM

that would be wonderful. if they do enough parking then it becomes the most viable place to rejuvenate. everyone including the cruise tourists will be able to take advantage of it.

Quote:
Exactly.. that's what I meant with the park and hop on.. I worked on 2 park and rides here in GA... it's pretty common here.. I wonder if that's the reason why the main street downtown is shut down.. my dad said no more cars can drive through....
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 05:38 AM

PYPHIL is on a distinguished road

Quote:

where have you seen the plans?
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 05:42 AM

PYPHIL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
that would be wonderful. if they do enough parking then it becomes the most viable place to rejuvenate. everyone including the cruise tourists will be able to take advantage of it.
You have a lot of wonderfull ideas regarding the tram project.
what is your opinion on this all?
will it succeed? are the Aruba people positive about this all?
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM

aaahruba is on a distinguished road

Nice idea, but I will believe it when I see it. I think 2012 is a very optimistic date. This is Aruba.