Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Thursday, March 23rd, 2006, 05:02 PM

jakesophie is on a distinguished road
Cool Moving to Aruba - lots of questions

My wife and I are moving to Aruba next year when the house we are having built there is complete. While we're definitely excited, we have lots of questions. Any help/advice on any of the below is much appreciated.

1. Working there - my wife is a college professor and I am an mgmt/IT consultant. We are are both happy to apply these skills there or if there is no practical need then we're happy doing something different. What are the rules about working there? i.e. who needs to approve employability and what is the process? Alternatively, is there any restriction to living there and working virtually back in the states or elsewhere?

2. Residency - should we try to be residents or not? What are the advantages/disadvantages? If we want to become residents - how do we do that? I understand one option is to maintain some amount ($50K) in an Aruban bank. True? If we don't become residents then what is the 90 day rule? Does it matter that we would be homeowners?

3. Taxes - I heard that residents pay up to 42% tax on income earned anywhere in the world. Is this true and does that include capital gains and dividends or just payroll income? Also, are non-residents taxed too?

4. Shipping - are there 1 or 2 primary shippers that service U.S. to Aruba moves? If so, who are they? Also, what shipping advice does anyone have? Does the process go more smoothly by using an "intermediary" to financially encorage officials to expedite the process - or is this not necessary as long as we aren't in any major hurry?

5. Cars - I assume we will want a type of car that folks on the island can readily service as needed. Along those lines, are there particular brands to stay away from or to turn to? Also, I understand from a shop owner we spoke with that we have to own any new car for at least six months before we ship it there to avoid additional taxes. True?

6. Garage - We're coming from snow country where garages are a necessity. Will we need a garage in Aruba (e.g. to protect from the sun) or just an overhead cover to park under?

Thanks in advance,

Jake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, March 23rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to Aruba - lots of questions

jake, how about reading this link first and then asking your questions. some questions will be answered in there and i bet there will be others added to the list, many things to think about when moving to another country.

http://www.arubarealestate.com/relocation/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesophie
My wife and I are moving to Aruba next year when the house we are having built there is complete. While we're definitely excited, we have lots of questions. Any help/advice on any of the below is much appreciated.

1. Working there - my wife is a college professor and I am an mgmt/IT consultant. We are are both happy to apply these skills there or if there is no practical need then we're happy doing something different. What are the rules about working there? i.e. who needs to approve employability and what is the process? Alternatively, is there any restriction to living there and working virtually back in the states or elsewhere?

2. Residency - should we try to be residents or not? What are the advantages/disadvantages? If we want to become residents - how do we do that? I understand one option is to maintain some amount ($50K) in an Aruban bank. True? If we don't become residents then what is the 90 day rule? Does it matter that we would be homeowners?

3. Taxes - I heard that residents pay up to 42% tax on income earned anywhere in the world. Is this true and does that include capital gains and dividends or just payroll income? Also, are non-residents taxed too?

4. Shipping - are there 1 or 2 primary shippers that service U.S. to Aruba moves? If so, who are they? Also, what shipping advice does anyone have? Does the process go more smoothly by using an "intermediary" to financially encorage officials to expedite the process - or is this not necessary as long as we aren't in any major hurry?

5. Cars - I assume we will want a type of car that folks on the island can readily service as needed. Along those lines, are there particular brands to stay away from or to turn to? Also, I understand from a shop owner we spoke with that we have to own any new car for at least six months before we ship it there to avoid additional taxes. True?

6. Garage - We're coming from snow country where garages are a necessity. Will we need a garage in Aruba (e.g. to protect from the sun) or just an overhead cover to park under?

Thanks in advance,

Jake
Old Thursday, March 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM

Thanks Sherry. From reading the info on the link it seems that our options include:

1. residing but not working, as either:
a. a permanent resident - assuming we get a permit
b. a temporary resident - leaving the country every 90 days for at least 24 hours

2. residing and working, by
a. starting a new business with an Aruban who must own 51%
b. buying an existing business
c. working for an existing business - assuming we aren't taking a job from a local and are "sponsored" by the employer and get the appropriate work permit

Is this correct? What help does HTR (their link was on that site) provide and are there others who do this as well?

Any ideas on the other questions would be much appreciated.

Jake
Old Thursday, March 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

beats the heck out of me who htr are (is? lol) but you do have the two areas down rather well.

working is a difficult thing for 'outsiders' on the island. it isn't because you are being rejected but, not to get political, it is the exact opposite to what we are doing in the states. arubans get the jobs. if an aruban is capable and available, an aruban will be picked. taking care of your own is a philosophy i can live with. what it means to the rest of us is that we are left with jobs that arubans can't or don't want to do.

realize also that the arubans as a group are very well educated and multi lingual. there is a 95+% literacy rate and very few 'drop outs'. most go on to some form of higher education. also, very few arubans want to leave their island so the population of well educated arubans grows leaving even less for us.

so, yes #1 and #2 are pretty accurate. it is a little frustrating for outsiders but i truly respect their views.

Quote:
Thanks Sherry. From reading the info on the link it seems that our options include:

1. residing but not working, as either:
a. a permanent resident - assuming we get a permit
b. a temporary resident - leaving the country every 90 days for at least 24 hours

2. residing and working, by
a. starting a new business with an Aruban who must own 51%
b. buying an existing business
c. working for an existing business - assuming we aren't taking a job from a local and are "sponsored" by the employer and get the appropriate work permit

Is this correct? What help does HTR (their link was on that site) provide and are there others who do this as well?

Any ideas on the other questions would be much appreciated.

Jake
Old Thursday, March 23rd, 2006, 07:39 PM

Ah - makes sense. And seems consistent with Bonaire's policies too. In Aruba recently, I noticed a number of shop managers (not owners) and other employees (waiters, windsurf instryctors, tennis pros, etc..) who were transplanted Dutch - folks who had been in Aruba for 5-15 years. Do they get preferential treatment for employment opportunities or was this a past privilege of being part of the Netherland Antilles that no longer exists as Aruba has moved to a more independent nation status?

Also, do the work prohibitions also impact volunteer opportunities? i.e. if no cash is changing hands, could we volunteer at an animal shelter or school or something else?

As we are both in our early 40's - we would want to do something productive in addition to purely enjoying the outdoor spoils of lovely Aruba.
Old Thursday, March 23rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Administrator

since arubans enjoy dual citizenship the dutch are given preferential treatment. remember, the island is independent but is still a military protectorate. queen beatrix is still their queen.

volunteering is accepted and admired as it should be. anyone who wants to give to the community is welcomed. there are opportunities in several areas including at least one orphanage and the animal shelter. it's also a great way to make friends and start learning the multiple languages.

Quote:
Ah - makes sense. And seems consistent with Bonaire's policies too. In Aruba recently, I noticed a number of shop managers (not owners) and other employees (waiters, windsurf instryctors, tennis pros, etc..) who were transplanted Dutch - folks who had been in Aruba for 5-15 years. Do they get preferential treatment for employment opportunities or was this a past privilege of being part of the Netherland Antilles that no longer exists as Aruba has moved to a more independent nation status?

Also, do the work prohibitions also impact volunteer opportunities? i.e. if no cash is changing hands, could we volunteer at an animal shelter or school or something else?

As we are both in our early 40's - we would want to do something productive in addition to purely enjoying the outdoor spoils of lovely Aruba.
Old Thursday, March 23rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Moving to Aruba - lots of questions

Having spoken to a lot of young Dutch people from Holland working in Aruba, I learned that many of them do their internship for college there just like here in the states, when our college kids do the same thing during one of their senior semesters.. Many like it so much that after graduation they return to Aruba and work there.
Old Friday, March 24th, 2006, 12:07 AM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Moving to Aruba - lots of questions

I cant answer your questions but I think I would have talked to someone in Aruban imigration and gotten my answers BEFORE I had my house built. Unless you are planning to use it for long vacations several times a year anyway.
Old Friday, March 24th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Thumbs up Re: Moving to Aruba - lots of questions

coulda, woulda, shoulda - but here we are. At the end of the day, we want to do the move for lifestyle reasons. While we don't have to work while we're there, we'd like to find a constructive way to engage in society. Worse case, if after a couple years we change our minds, then we have a lovely vacation home, rental property, or appreciated asset. So - that said - any thoughts on answers to my original questions would be much appreciated.

Thx, Jake
Old Friday, March 24th, 2006, 09:43 AM

arubabob is on a distinguished road

I dont think you can go wrong with a home as an investment in Aruba. Prices will never go down and you can always take a great extended vacation several times a year.
Where is the house located?
Old Friday, March 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Moving to Aruba - lots of questions

Jakesophie....I lived in Aruba from 92 to 99 having moved from Michigan to there. My circumstances were a tad different than yours as my late husband was Aruban, but I will answer the questions that I can. For getting a car to Aruba there are tons of Freight Forwarders in Miami, the 3 that I have dealt with are:

Miami Int'l Forwarders
305-594-0038

Mid-Atlantic Forwarders
305-594-0415

Maersk Inc.
305-220-5996

You need to call at least 4-5 different forwarders (they are listed in the internet yellow pages as Forwarders) as prices vary greatly and you need to shop your best deal. You allowed to bring one car INTO ARUBA duty free, and other cars will cost you an entry duty fee. You should use a freight forwarder that is reputable and you need them as all the paper work they have to fill out for Aruba Customs is in Dutch. STAY AWAY from Bon Bini Carriers in Aruba and Miami.....they are total rip offs, screwed me and several of my american friends who were living on the island. Back in 92 it cost me 900.00 to ship my car with all paper work being done....took 6 days from the time I left it in Miami till I got it from Aruba customs in Aruba. The 6 month rule about owning it before bringing it to Aruba are correct. No intermediary is necessary unless you just want to spend some money needlessly......one bit of advise, rushing Arubans in any given situation is not recommended....they are extremely methodical in their ways and don't like the American rush rush rush attitude.....THAT is one of the most important lesson I learned....cause they will dig their heels in and slow waaaaaay down if pushed.....and actually it was the BEST LESSON learned there and I brought it home with me......I NEVER press anymore and stress......I miss Aruba so much and go back twice a year to visit my friends....hopefully when I retire it will be there.....you guys need a gardener my chance ????
LOL

Secondly, jobs are there for Americans, but like pointed out above preference goes to Arubans, then Dutch Nationals from Holland, people married to Arubans and then to who is left over from there....teaching would be very difficult for your wife as all schools are taught in Dutch and teachers must be bi-lingual and know Dutch, Spanish, Papiamento and English. However, there is the International School of Aruba that is taught in English and based on the American School System. Might be highly sought after jobs though my ex-patriots and those tranferring in from the states.......I was fortunate and worked for the U.S. Justice Dept at the Queen Beatrix Airport as a U.S. Immigration Inspector, but that was possible as I was a permanent resident married to an Aruban. That wouldn't be an option unless you got legal permanent residency. The U.S. can't hire you unless your there permanetly and legally.

You know with your wife being a teacher she might try freelance tutoring, alot of my Aruban friends were interested from time to time in getting their children help with their english skills once they began learning english in school. I think they start gettin formal english in the 5th or 6th grades.

Residency I think takes 7 or 10 years on having a valid work permit and working, or I believe you can still qualify if you can show suffcient funds to live on the island without working. Check with a Notaris (Aruban Lawyer)for the most update and correct info on residency. I'm sketchy on it because again my late husband was Aruban which gave me full rights as a spouse. The Notaris I always used was the one we used when we got our property in Aruba, her name is Helen Lejuez and she is excellent, I highly recommend her for any situation you might find yourselves in.

Taxes: Wage taxes are ridcuiosly low compared to the states. I paid 9.2% compared to 33% I currently pay being back here in the states (that was on my first 2 non-Immigration job......i worked for 2 Aruban companies prior) I was not responsibly to pay any U.S. taxes on earnings abroad unless I made over 85,000 a year.......for a married couple I'm not sure what it would be.......

Cars to stay away from are any cars where there is not a dealer for on the island as getting parts is VERY HARD unless there is a dealership....I had a 94 Mercury Capri convertable when I was there and there was no Mercury dealer....I had to schlep all the way to Miami to get parts or pay a crazy amount to have them shipped in......I don't pay attention to what dealerships are on the island anymore, but I do know there are more and more sprining up all the time. No garage needed in Aruba, but a carport is advised as the sun can do a number on the paint job, it will fade the color eventually. Do yourselves and buy a white car....any other color is hot hot hot, NO BLACK CARS or Black interiors.....way too hot !

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions and want to contact me directly here's my email address.....I still have tons of contacts in Aruba, so let me know what you need as you proceed and I will ALWAYS try to help

cwillemsbe@aol.com

Claudia
Old Friday, March 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Very helpful Claudia, thanks. I'll send you an email now with my contact info as well.
Old Friday, April 6th, 2007, 07:54 PM

GaryIryna is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Moving to Aruba - lots of questions

We are hoping to retire to Aruba. When we do, my son will be 10 years old. Does anybody have any info or experience of the international school there? does it have a good name? Are exams certs reconised all over the world?
reiring to aruba, must show that you are getting $42,000 per year. What i dont understand is, is this the amount per house hold? or per person? I dont know anybody who gets that pension per year? Can someone throw some light on this subject?

Aruba and Bonaire both sound wonderfull. Bonaire for peace and quiet. Aruba for sheer paradise.

Would like to speak to people who have now retired there, get some tips and advise on living there.

Old Friday, April 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

it is per household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryIryna View Post
We are hoping to retire to Aruba. When we do, my son will be 10 years old. Does anybody have any info or experience of the international school there? does it have a good name? Are exams certs reconised all over the world?
reiring to aruba, must show that you are getting $42,000 per year. What i dont understand is, is this the amount per house hold? or per person? I dont know anybody who gets that pension per year? Can someone throw some light on this subject?

Aruba and Bonaire both sound wonderfull. Bonaire for peace and quiet. Aruba for sheer paradise.

Would like to speak to people who have now retired there, get some tips and advise on living there.
Old Saturday, April 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Tom H. is on a distinguished road

I don't think you can ship a vehicle from the U.S. without paying duty until you have your residence permit. Also, I would check if there is duty on furnishings.

We did purchse all our furniture in Aruba. As i didn't know how to go about shipping from the U.S. Also, we live in Michigan, so there would be an additional charge to get the goods to Miami.

Do you have a bank account yet? If not, go to www.arubabank.com There is instructions on how to apply for an account. We use Aruba Bank, but I would check out others also.

I would be interested on hearing details & how you come out on the residince permit.
Old Saturday, April 7th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Is there places in Aruba where you can buy second hand cars ? I know new ones there are very expensive, but perhaps you can get a good deal on a used motor?

Old Saturday, April 7th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Tom and Pam is on a distinguished road

Hi Jake,

Good to hear that you are building and moving to the island. My wife are doing the same thing. Our house is about 40% complete and we are going down the first 2 weeks of May to check things out. Now is the time for us to make any additions and or changes. Where about are you located? ? We are in Boroncana which is about 1 mile inland fom the Marroit Hotel. It's a new 52 lot development by Better Homes. . . . We arealso not far from Tara del Sol and the new Golden Sands. . . . We have some of the same questions that you have. We did go pick up our resident paper work and found the DIMAS office to be very UNHELPFUL. . . . We do have a new neighbor that is trying to help us out with appointments and getting us information. . . .

Good luck to you and maybe we can get together on the island. . . . .
We are from south of Boston. Little town of Hull, MA. . . .

Tom and Pam
Old Saturday, April 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Tom and Pam

Did you have to wait long for your permit to reside in Aruba? We will look at Better Homes next year, to see what the build is like. Next year we will see what option is best for us. either buy land first, then get Better Homes to build our home, or just buy allready completed. Which ever option we take, we will make sure our garden is large enough for a swimming pool and palm trees. Good luck to all of you in your new homes.

Old Saturday, April 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Aruba Expert

Ron B is on a distinguished road

I saw you post this on the other Aruba boards. I am glad that you have found all 3 helpful in giving you the information you need.

I wanted to give you some more info. If you are looking for info in how to open a Business or working in Aruba I have found the Aruban Chamber of Commerce a great Help.

They sent me the info a few years ago on how to start a Business and working in Aruba Yes You do need an Aruban Partner and Yes He will be majority Owner . There was a lot of valuable info in what they sent me as I will be opening a part of my Import / Export Business in Aruba. That is in the not to distant Future so I had to know the laws and Business Tax Codes and Licenses I would need You Can check them out By going to their Website www.aruban chamber of commerce.com Now If this does not change colors and take you directly there then you can go on to this site and find it in the opening webpage for visit aruba.com

Old Sunday, April 8th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Tom and Pam

Did you have to wait long for your permit to reside in Aruba? We will look at Better Homes next year, to see what the build is like. Next year we will see what option is best for us. either buy land first, then get Better Homes to build our home, or just buy allready completed. Which ever option we take, we will make sure our garden is large enough for a swimming pool and palm trees. Good luck to all of you in your new homes.
We are still in the process of getting our permit. This trip we hope to get all our paper work filled out and get first hand information on what to do next. From what we have heard from other people applying, it may take up to a year to get teh permit thru. I am hoping to retire this fall, move down and get in line to get the permit issued. . .

Better Homes has package deals that include the land and your choice of over 30 home styles to choose from. Thet are also very good to work with. . .

Tom and Pam
Old Sunday, April 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Tom and Pam

Do they do package deal...land and build in places not too far from beach? in the west of the island ? or do they work more in the east of the island?

Just wondered how they can keep the house prices low.

If its possible near Eagle beach, ect...might be very tempted.

Old Sunday, April 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Tom and Pam

Do they do package deal...land and build in places not too far from beach? in the west of the island ? or do they work more in the east of the island?

Just wondered how they can keep the house prices low.

If its possible near Eagle beach, ect...might be very tempted.
Take a look at their web site www.betterhomesaruba.com. They offer a few developments under the "land" banner. You can contact them and they will give you a location as to where the site is located. They seem to be all over the island. I think they are inland (about a mile or so) because, like here, if you are on the beach or very close to it, the prices are very high. . . . Give them a try. . . . .

Tom and Pam
Old Sunday, April 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Aruba Expert

tico is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesophie View Post

Thanks in advance,

Jake
There is a site called arubaplaza.com on this site there is info about living and moving to aruba...I hope this helps you
Tico
Old Monday, April 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Moving to Aruba - lots of questions

Forget about getting help from the DIMAS office formally DOOV.....it is a sheer test of frustration. If you are seeking to reside on the isnald legally with a resident permit I would HIGLY suggest getting with an Aruban Notaris (Lawyer) they are very reasonable compared to USA Lawyers and you will have a much much better understanding of what you need to do and what forms need to be completed. I know Helen Lejuez is an excellent Notaris and helped me out on several occassions when I was living on the island from 93-99. Her offices are located acroos the street from "The News" offices or behind DePalm Tours main offices. I believe the street is Italistraat. But if you wanna make sure all your t's are crossed and i's dotted, a notaris is the way to go.......

P.S. To the question about the International School of Aruba. It is based on the American School System and is recognized all over the world, most importantly the USA, it is a U.S. State Dept sponsored overseas school......it has always had a very good reputation. At ten years old it would be extremely difficult to place your child in the local schools as it is taught in Dutch and he would be at a 5 year disadvantage for learning that language. You can google ISA and get info on the school.

Here's one link, but there are many more that you can goggle and get all your needed info about the school.......

http://www.state.gov/m/a/os/56540.htm
Old Saturday, December 8th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road

Just curious how everything has worked out for everyone.

Met someone at the airport who had just gotten residency, he had hired a lawyer.

Old Saturday, December 8th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

You will get tons of advise and even more encouragement as well as discouragement. Do what you feel you should.

That said, some of your questions are simple ones and have been answered to some degree on this BB. My honest and sincere suggestion to you is

Get a lawyer and have him give you the information you need and the options or actions you can take, then have the same lawyer move on those recommendations.

Immigration laws are in flux and change on an almost monthly basis and the decision or action you take today, might not be valid in a few months. Also, consider that when you start to process your paper work, you will not understand a great deal of it since it will probably be in Dutch. These are little items but they will make a big difference.

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesophie View Post
coulda, woulda, shoulda - but here we are. At the end of the day, we want to do the move for lifestyle reasons. While we don't have to work while we're there, we'd like to find a constructive way to engage in society. Worse case, if after a couple years we change our minds, then we have a lovely vacation home, rental property, or appreciated asset. So - that said - any thoughts on answers to my original questions would be much appreciated.

Thx, Jake
Old Sunday, March 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Update:

We bought a place in Tierra Del Sol that is now under construction (2 years after purchase agreement). We are hoping and contractually expecting that it will be complete in the next 10-12 months.

We have also submitted our residency paperwork to DIMAS thru a well established lawyer on the island. We understand that they now have 90 days, per their own internal policy, to render judgement on our application.

With any luck we will be living there full time this time next year. Thanks for all the posts above. We're now going to focus on the logistics of moving so we have that worked out well in advance....

Cheers
Old Sunday, March 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM

can it be true that residents pay up to 42% tax on income earned anywhere in the world ? If true, thats crazy taxes to have to pay. If true, this would make me think very hard,, if you are rich, no problem i guess, but for most of us, very high. I wonder if you rent out your property in Aruba, if you still have to pay this crazt tax? i was always under the impression that Aruba taxes were low, not high? any one shine some light on this?

Old Sunday, March 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM

this is tax page for Aruba

http://www.lowtax.net/lowtax/html/jarpetx.html

Old Sunday, March 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator

gary i am not sure of the exact amount but their taxes are not low. i know their tax base is higher than here in the states but they do get the benefit of health care and higher education. we get neither included in our taxes.

Quote:
can it be true that residents pay up to 42% tax on income earned anywhere in the world ? If true, thats crazy taxes to have to pay. If true, this would make me think very hard,, if you are rich, no problem i guess, but for most of us, very high. I wonder if you rent out your property in Aruba, if you still have to pay this crazt tax? i was always under the impression that Aruba taxes were low, not high? any one shine some light on this?