Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, October 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default scam warnings

i know that by now everyone thinks i'm paranoid because i warn about spams, scams, credit card theft, id theft, burglaries and the rest. however, i still have to hack away at it because i care.

it came to my attention via some friends that they have been receiving very tempting emails. they go along the line of this one :

I saw your nice profile id at ***** and something motivated me to communicate with you'i found you worthy of acceptance and godly;My Dear in your usual time may it pleases you to write me back in email address,So that i can send you my pictures and also tell you more about myself . A friendship is the foundation build on other relative things to come.May God bless you as i wait impatiently to hear from you. Your lonely friend

that along with those that are hacking accounts and sending off emails to everyone on peoples' mailing lists saying thing like:

hi *** i am *** and as you know i'm on vacation in ***. everything i own was stolen and i am without money, clothes and identification....

these people are scammers not spammers. they find out your email by hacking or by the carelessness of all of us and will do anything to get your money and the rest. they pretend to be your friend or pretend to want to be your friend and people bite because in one case, the person sounds so damned nice and in the other they add in little pieces of information they hacked out of your friend's emails so they can mention things like a family name or an illness someone is suffering that makes you sure they are your friend.

i have mentioned before that places like facebook are rampant with these people. they have several ways in. as an example, you play facebook games. your information is now stored and shared with anyone who will pay for it. facebook openly warns you that signing up with these things will make your info public.

now, think about this... look at the first letter in red above. these people go in, click on your name, and if you allow members to send emails to you, these people have their opening. if you advertise your timeshare anywhere on any site and post your contact email, you have given them an opening.

so, i am going to recommend what i have in the past. go to your 'user cp' and then go to 'edit options'. 'uncheck receive email from other members'. leave a check mark in the box 'receive email from administrators'. we do send emails on very rare occasions and never release or sell your email addresses.

i will also suggest that no one ever again use their email address as their screen name on any site. nor should you ever post your address for anything. most quality sites have private messaging. use that for contact until you totally know and trust a person.

please heed this warning. i have several friends now who have gone thru hell including having their on line banking info stolen.

thanks for reading this!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: scam warnings

Smart thread and I hope it is heeded.
be well
charles
Old Sunday, February 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM

Darryl is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: scam warnings

Like everything else in this world, unfortunately, we have to be quite alert to scams. One hint is the poor spelling (sometimes) that are a dead giveaway. Also, poor English usage. However, forewarned is forearmed!! THANKS!!

Old Sunday, February 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Administrator

poor spelling is truly a clue sometimes but you would be surprised how many devious people are out there and are really proficient in english. you have no idea of the foolishness i get to see as a moderator. actually, yes you do since you got to read at least one spam, didn't you? lol. opening some of the links included in these spams opens you to scams. the number of scams we get to see and the number of hackers we get to witness amazes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Like everything else in this world, unfortunately, we have to be quite alert to scams. One hint is the poor spelling (sometimes) that are a dead giveaway. Also, poor English usage. However, forewarned is forearmed!! THANKS!!
Old Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

You mean something like this?

Good day, Am Mary Grant, 29years old ,native of Scranton Pennsylvania, am
deaf and single,which i will like to meet you to be a friend (or lifelong
partner) - In that order.Am very sorry for disturbing you... My nature is to
care, provide and treat everything in my life with love respect and dignity;
I am happy person. I would be interested in meeting You. I am so sorry for
disturbing you ,please can will have some chat.. I think i am not rude with
my words .. . I think i will stop right here until we meet.

Best regards ..

Why in heavens name would I ever respond to something like this? I would surely hope someone from pennsylvania had a bit better knowledge of the english language. I really don't understand people who do.

But then again, maybe I am missing out on millions because of all those e-mails that I marked as spam...
Old Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM

Horseshoe is on a distinguished road

It is always a welcome sight to see others warning about what obviously is a scam.

Thanks,

Horseshoe
Old Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

i wonder which she considers worse-being deaf of single, lol. not something you would normally see bunched together, lol.

unfortunately, the reason people do that type of email is that others really do respond. scary, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
You mean something like this?

Good day, Am Mary Grant, 29years old ,native of Scranton Pennsylvania, am
deaf and single,which i will like to meet you to be a friend (or lifelong
partner) - In that order.Am very sorry for disturbing you... My nature is to
care, provide and treat everything in my life with love respect and dignity;
I am happy person. I would be interested in meeting You. I am so sorry for
disturbing you ,please can will have some chat.. I think i am not rude with
my words .. . I think i will stop right here until we meet.

Best regards ..

Why in heavens name would I ever respond to something like this? I would surely hope someone from pennsylvania had a bit better knowledge of the english language. I really don't understand people who do.

But then again, maybe I am missing out on millions because of all those e-mails that I marked as spam...
Old Sunday, March 13th, 2011, 03:14 AM

Manzanita is on a distinguished road

My response to these spammers is always, tough poo!