Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Friday, June 13th, 2008, 07:27 AM

VacationLover is on a distinguished road
Default Setar hours

Can anyone tell me what time Setar, near the high-rise area, opens and closes during the week -- specifically on Monday (just incase they have a night of later hours).

Need to activate a cell phone.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, June 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Setar hours

From their web site.
Opening hours
Monday-Saturday, 09:00-17:30

http://www.setar.aw/index.php?option...per&Itemid=140

Old Friday, June 13th, 2008, 11:09 AM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road

When we were there in April, the Setar high rise location was closed for remodeling. We had to go to the location by the post office. They're probably back open by now, though.

Bobbie
Old Friday, June 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Setar hours

As a FYI, you can also do that right outside of the airport at the little kiosk when you arrive. The lines at Setar are always a real pain in the ***.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacationLover View Post
Can anyone tell me what time Setar, near the high-rise area, opens and closes during the week -- specifically on Monday (just incase they have a night of later hours).

Need to activate a cell phone.

Old Friday, June 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Aruba Expert

There is also DIGICEL which I use.

http://www.digicelaruba.com/retailers_v4/index_ABW.php

Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 06:06 AM

When you say you can have a cell phone activated at the kiosk outside the airport, does that mean a U.S. cell phone???

I should have been more specific in my initial post. I have a cell phone that was purchased at Setar several years ago. Each time we go to Aruba I go to Setar to get it activated since it de-activated after 90 days of non-use.

That aside, does anyone know if the Setar by the highrise is still under renovation or whether it's reopened?

Also, as a last resort, where can Setar calling cards be purchased? The ones that must be used specifically at Setar phones?

My 20-year old daughter and friends are going and here I thought they would be able to easily activate my Aruba cell phone to stay in touch with home. (Crazy mothers we all are!) I know there's the Setar shop in town but that will be inconvenient for them to get to during business hours.

Thanks.
Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 06:34 AM

I Love Aruba Re: Setar hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
As a FYI, you can also do that right outside of the airport at the little kiosk when you arrive. The lines at Setar are always a real pain in the ***.
You got that right!!
Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 06:44 AM

Not to sound like a complete idiot ... but after going to Aruba for 15 years, where specifically is the Setar kiosk at the airport?

Before Customs? After Customs? In the luggage carousel area? Outside of the airport? I have no clue!

And to think, old-age hasn't even set in yet!!

My apologies, as well as thanks to all.
Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
I should have been more specific in my initial post. I have a cell phone that was purchased at Setar several years ago. Each time we go to Aruba I go to Setar to get it activated since it de-activated after 90 days of non-use.
Thanks.
I also bought my unlocked cell phone in Aruba. You can use either Setar or digicel SIM cards.

Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Unfortunately, my Aruba cell phone does not have a SIM card. It is a cell phone purchased directly from Setar. Normally all I have to do is go to the Setar office, they re-activate the account/phone number and I purchase a prepaid card of which the numbers get entered into the phone. I can then purchase additional pre-paid cards and enter them myself as needed; it's just the re-activation that needss to be done at Setar. When the account is dormant for three months or more, it gets de-activated.

This routine has always worked out fine for us. But now a poster mentioning that the Setar office in Palm Beach may be closed still for renovation would be a major inconvenience since my daughter who would normally be across the street from it at the Playa Linda would then have to take a taxi into town during business hours...thereby missing prescious beach time.

If the Setar office at Palm Beach is now reopened, it really isn't an issue. Or, if there is a Setar facility in the airport that has the capability to re-activate an existing account, that would be wonderful. I've tried to e-mail Setar but no response yet. Plus, being the weekend....we all know how that is.

Digicel and and unlocked phones and things like that are not what I am seeking. But I do appreciate everyone trying to offer assistance!
Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Just as you walk outside the doors to catch a cab or whatever, it's to your left, and Fast Phones is to your right. There's usually only one woman there, and she's on Aruba time, but I'd rather wait there and get it over with.

EBB - I, too, have a cell I bought in Aruba years ago at Setar, but last year I began using skype and I love it.

Quote:
Not to sound like a complete idiot ... but after going to Aruba for 15 years, where specifically is the Setar kiosk at the airport?

Before Customs? After Customs? In the luggage carousel area? Outside of the airport? I have no clue!

And to think, old-age hasn't even set in yet!!

My apologies, as well as thanks to all.
Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Elaine S., thank you. So then is the Setar kiosk near the car rental company kiosks but to the far left? I cannot believe I never noticed it in all these years. Perhaps were were scurrying about to get over to the car rental kiosk and never took the time to notice!

Dare I ask, what is skype?
Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Mild Mannered Meek SuperModerator

sherry is on a distinguished road

this new computer has the built in webcam and microphone. i tried it this morning and chatted with my daughter in africa (also got to see my camel skull, lol). it was the first skype phone call and i loved it. certainly an easy way to communicate and free too. the aruba phone is still great for local and other cell phone calls.

Quote:
Just as you walk outside the doors to catch a cab or whatever, it's to your left, and Fast Phones is to your right. There's usually only one woman there, and she's on Aruba time, but I'd rather wait there and get it over with.

EBB - I, too, have a cell I bought in Aruba years ago at Setar, but last year I began using skype and I love it.
Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Elaine S., thank you. So then is the Setar kiosk near the car rental company kiosks but to the far left? I cannot believe I never noticed it in all these years.
It is inside the building, just after clearing customs.

Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

EBB ~ you're right.... what was I thinking?? Sorry VL. I now remember having to wait in line for quite a while, and running outside a couple times to smoke!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-Beach Boy View Post
It is inside the building, just after clearing customs.
Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

It's only free computer to computer.... but, computer to hard line is very reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
this new computer has the built in webcam and microphone. i tried it this morning and chatted with my daughter in africa (also got to see my camel skull, lol). it was the first skype phone call and i loved it. certainly an easy way to communicate and free too. the aruba phone is still great for local and other cell phone calls.
Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Linda A is on a distinguished road

We also have a cell phone we purchased from Setar and always have to go specifically to the office in the highrise area to have the phone number reactivated every year after not having used it for a long period of time between visits. It's a pain but my DH gets there half an hour before opening time so he's one of the first in line.
Old Saturday, June 14th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Linda, the only reason I know they put the new chip in the phone to reactivate is because the woman in front of me at the Setar kiosk was having that done. I was just waiting to buy a monthly card for WiFi, and it took forever for the woman in front of me to be finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda A View Post
We also have a cell phone we purchased from Setar and always have to go specifically to the office in the highrise area to have the phone number reactivated every year after not having used it for a long period of time between visits. It's a pain but my DH gets there half an hour before opening time so he's one of the first in line.
Old Sunday, June 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Elaine, So if I understand you correctly, he should definitely be able to have it reactivated right there at the Setar booth at the airport? The last time he tried to have it done there the lady told him she couldn't do it, that he'd have to go to the office up in the high-rise area where he usually had it done. That was about 2 years ago so he hasn't tried since. (maybe she just didn't want to take the time....or didn't have the "chip" you mention on hand)
Old Sunday, June 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Linda, we've never had any luck at the airport either. Either the booth is closed or they can't activate the phone there. We've even tried to get someone to use the phone in between our trips, but didn't have any luck. We got up early on Mon., took the bus to the bus station and then a cab to the Setar office. Fortunately we didn't miss much beach time. Good luck to you and have a wonderful time in Aruba. Have a drink for me.

Bobbie
Old Sunday, June 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Linda... the only thing I can say is that it's worth a try because you're right there anyway, and have nothing to lose. I know the woman who was in front of me had two phones activated while I waited, and waited, and waited.... you get the picture!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda A View Post
Elaine, So if I understand you correctly, he should definitely be able to have it reactivated right there at the Setar booth at the airport? The last time he tried to have it done there the lady told him she couldn't do it, that he'd have to go to the office up in the high-rise area where he usually had it done. That was about 2 years ago so he hasn't tried since. (maybe she just didn't want to take the time....or didn't have the "chip" you mention on hand)
Old Sunday, June 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Thanks Bobbie for the good wishes. You'll have to put a hold on that drink for a time though because we don't go again till early January

Elaine, I guess it's worth a try again at the airport, thanks!
Old Sunday, June 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Elaine S., thank you. So then is the Setar kiosk near the car rental company kiosks but to the far left? I cannot believe I never noticed it in all these years. Perhaps were were scurrying about to get over to the car rental kiosk and never took the time to notice!

Dare I ask, what is skype?
Setar is not across the street where the car rentals are. When you walk out the door from the baggage pickup area, Setar is right there to the left - it's inside the arrival building.
Old Monday, June 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road

Do they also sell the unlocked phones at the Setar airport location? I know exactly where it is because we alway purchase our phone cards there.

If any of you know where I can purchase an inexpensive unlocked phone I would really appreciate it. I have looked online and have found only digicell website with no information on it. I was thinking that maybe a retailer other than Setar might have phones?

Old Monday, June 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Suzie... I bought mine from the Setar store when it was in town. Think I paid $90 for it, and it served me well, but can only be used while in Aruba, and needs to be reactivated after no useage for 6 months. I've always kept the same phone number.. Mafalda kept mine the last time, and used it so didn't have to reactivate! In fact, I just remembered that I owe her money 'cause I had her pick me up a new minutes card before I got there this past February.
Old Monday, June 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmorgnsgrl View Post
If any of you know where I can purchase an inexpensive unlocked phone I would really appreciate it. I was thinking that maybe a retailer other than Setar might have phones?
I bought my phone at a counter at the grocery store in Paradera. Just before the circle. You buy the phone and you select your service.

Old Monday, June 16th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Aruba Expert

Thanks for all the info. I rented a car the past couple of years from Royal and they gave me a phone to use for the two weeks I was there. All I had to do was buy the minutes. So I was looking for somthing just to make calls, nothing fancy. I will be staying at the Brickell Bay for one night prior to checking in at the ABC. I think there is a phone store either Setar or Digicell right next to the hotel. Maybe I will check it out.

Old Monday, June 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I rented a car the past couple of years from Royal and they gave me a phone to use for the two weeks I was there. All I had to do was buy the minutes. So I was looking for somthing just to make calls, nothing fancy. I will be staying at the Brickell Bay for one night prior to checking in at the ABC. I think there is a phone store either Setar or Digicell right next to the hotel. Maybe I will check it out.
It's Setar that is next to Brickell Bay. It is usually very busy with locals paying their bill.
Old Monday, June 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Aruba Expert

Thanks Liz for the heads up on that! Maybe I will try another store! Any suggestions? As you know that Island so well, you would be the one to ask.

Old Monday, June 16th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Thanks Liz for the heads up on that! Maybe I will try another store! Any suggestions? As you know that Island so well, you would be the one to ask.
If you are getting the phone from Royal again then it's not going to work out getting the minutes card from the airport kioski since you have to pick up the car off airport property. So you may just have to buy the card from the Setar office. Most gas stations/gift shops sell the card. I like getting the card at Setar only because they program the minutes into the phone for me. I got the card at the Holiday Inn gift shop a few times but they wouldn't program it for me. La Cabana mini-market always helps me out and does it. Isn't there a gift shop or mini-market at your timeshare the next day that sells the card?
Old Tuesday, June 17th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

One Happy Island Re: Setar hours

Suzie ~ they sell Setar cards at the phone/computer place near the Alahambra, and minute cards at the perfume store and drug store at CDM.
Old Tuesday, June 17th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Aruba Expert

I am not renting a car through Royal this year, so I won't be using their phone. That is why I wanted to purchase a phone and was wondering where I could buy one? And if they sold them at the setar kiosk at the airport? That way I can bring it back with me to Aruba next year and get it reactivated each time I come back.

Old Tuesday, June 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
I am not renting a car through Royal this year, so I won't be using their phone. That is why I wanted to purchase a phone and was wondering where I could buy one? And if they sold them at the setar kiosk at the airport? That way I can bring it back with me to Aruba next year and get it reactivated each time I come back.
Then you would want to go to Setar next to Brickell Bay. They have a large selection of phones. When I bought mine there, I asked for the cheapest phone. If you don't arrive early enough on Thursday, I think they close at 5 pm, try to be there when they open on Friday.
Old Tuesday, June 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Aruba Expert

Thanks Liz,

That is the information I needed!

Old Saturday, June 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road

I know she already left, but if anyone is going to get a phone, be aware of when the Arubans phone bills are due. They all pay at the Setar store and the lines are outrageous! It normally says in the Aruba Today when the bills are due so stay away. Also, the other company (I can't think of the name right now) will not sell a cell phone unless you are a local.

Old Saturday, June 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-Beach Boy View Post
That's it, Digicel. They would not sell me a phone, I needed to have a copy of a phone bill or something to prove I loved there. How did you get one? This was about 4 years ago when I bought my phone, I tried to check out both places. I also got the cheapest phone.

This is so funny, I have never had to reactivate my phone, the reason, I guess, is because I always let my friend use it. My last use is in March and my friend uses it in Sept. She always goes to Setar to get minutes so maybe they reactivate it then? She never said anything. Is it 4 or is it good for 6 months? My friend decided not to use her TS this Sept. so I will not be using it until Dec. It will be impossible to get it activated then because of the holidays. I may not be able to use it until after New Year's. This is not good.

Last edited by DiviAruba; Saturday, June 21st, 2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old Saturday, June 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM

I THINK it's only good for 3 months unless you keep using it.

Bobbie
Old Saturday, June 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffdhoff View Post
I THINK it's only good for 3 months unless you keep using it.

Bobbie
Bobbie ~ the one I bought from setar is good for 6 months before it has to be reactivated...
Old Saturday, June 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM

Thanks, Elaine. I let DH take care of that detail. We only get to Aruba once a year (dammit!) so it doesn't really matter, I guess, in our case.

Bobbie
Old Saturday, June 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffdhoff View Post
Thanks, Elaine. I let DH take care of that detail. We only get to Aruba once a year (dammit!) so it doesn't really matter, I guess, in our case.

Bobbie
Me too!
Old Sunday, June 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Aruba Expert

Actually 6 months probably is right. My friend normally leaves about mid Sept. and I never get to Aruba until late Dec., after Christmas which would put it over three months and I always just buy a card and add it. I wish we could use it in the US to keep it going.

Old Sunday, June 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Aruba Expert

Hi everyone! I arrived Friday at 1:13pm...got my rental car and the first thing I did was drive over to the Setar shop in the high rise area. There was only one person in there. I was in and out in 15 minutes. Bought my phone and everything has been working out well. Thanks everyone for the advise. It is just gorgeous here, a little overcast, but paradise as usual.

Old Sunday, June 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Hi everyone! I arrived Friday at 1:13pm...got my rental car and the first thing I did was drive over to the Setar shop in the high rise area. There was only one person in there. I was in and out in 15 minutes. Bought my phone and everything has been working out well. Thanks everyone for the advise. It is just gorgeous here, a little overcast, but paradise as usual.
Great to hear from you Suzie. Glad you didn't have a long wait at Setar. Guess it's not "pay your bill" time of the month.
Old Sunday, June 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Bobbie ~ the one I bought from setar is good for 6 months before it has to be reactivated...
The one I bought from Setar is longer. Last year I couldn't tell as I went to Aruba an average of every 3 months (4 times).

Oops. I was going to say that I left last Sept. and this year went back in April. That's 7 months and my phone worked. I just now remembered that I came home Oct. 9 and this year arrived April 4. That's a few days less than 6 months so I still don't know how long before my phone has to be activated again.