Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM

john is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Verizon Cell Phone Use

Saw On Another Aruba Website That Seter Has Now Entered Into Agreement With Verizon And If You Have An All Digital Phone That Is Cdma (whatever That Is) You Can Now Use In Aruba. I Called Verizon And Was Assured It Will Work. Of Course, That Is The Same Story I Got Last October And It Did Not Work. The Girl At Verizon Said It Wuld Be $1.29/minute. Anyone Had Any Experience Recently?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Verizon Cell Phone Use

Got back yesterday, Verizon cell did not work.

Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 06:37 PM

hdaruba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
Saw On Another Aruba Website That Seter Has Now Entered Into Agreement With Verizon And If You Have An All Digital Phone That Is Cdma (whatever That Is) You Can Now Use In Aruba. I Called Verizon And Was Assured It Will Work. Of Course, That Is The Same Story I Got Last October And It Did Not Work. The Girl At Verizon Said It Wuld Be $1.29/minute. Anyone Had Any Experience Recently?
Hey what web site did you see ths on???
Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 08:39 PM

john is on a distinguished road

IT WAS ON aruba-travelguide.com.
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM

KarenlovesAruba is on a distinguished road

going Jan 20th and spoke to verizon and they stated that you must have international calling (no fee) added to your phone. I hope it works-- also phone works closer to town--go to verizon website and go to international calling then pick Aruba--all info there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
IT WAS ON aruba-travelguide.com.
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Aruba Expert

2hokies is on a distinguished road

Here's the article from the Setar website:
Visitors from the U.S.A. with a CDMA mobile phone can now roam in Aruba. Recently SETAR, our local all service provider has come to agreements with the U.S.A. providers Verizon and Sprint, making it possible that a wide variety of mobile phone users can just travel with their own phone to Aruba and use international roaming. SETAR has always brought to the island the latest in telecom technologies. Besides the existing roaming possibilities with GSM (Cingular Wireless and T-Mobile), now CDMA customers from Verizon and Sprint can also communicate while on the move in Aruba. Other services that this provider has taken care of is the Wi-fi service on the island by having a long list of hotspots on and about the tourist area making the latest in wireless communications very accessible for everyone visiting our island.

http://www.setar.aw/index.php?option...=441&Itemid=69
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Tom and Pam is on a distinguished road

Hi gang,

Just read about being able to use my Sprint cell phone in Aruba. Good and bad news. . . Will be nice for the kids here to call us there, but the roam charge is $2.00 per minute. . . I did just call Sprint and had the international roam feature turned on. Very easy to do. THey (Sprint) told me it is a new service and gave me an international help number to call incase of any problem. . . . Thanks for the update on cell phone service. Now we just need to remember to turn it on when we get there. . . As if that is going to be the top 10 things to do on the island. . . . .

Tom and Pam
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Aruba Expert

If you think you might talk a lot, it still might be cheaper to rent a phone on the island in the long run. If you're just going to use it for emergencies, or a quick check-in, then it might be worth it.
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 04:34 PM

sbatjc is on a distinguished road

This is a really good thing for verizon customers (me) but a very bad thing too. I LOVED being able to head out of town and say "sorry my cell phone doesnt work there". It just sorta gave me a feeling that I was SOOO diconected from the office and reality. Oh well, times change. It will be pretty cool though to call the office while laying out...
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

Let me try to answer this in an unbiased manner since we have Fast phones. - Here goes...

We have quite some folks come to our booth and ask about assisting them with the VERIZON connection so that they can roam. We are finding the following:
For a reason (totally unknown to me as to why) some of the VERIZON phones work. It seems as if at this point it is a matter of the model of phone you have. Now - I have to admitt that this does not make alot of sense to me since all the phones should be able to roam.

If you have a VERIZON unit and want to see if it will roam, you can come to our booth and we will make all efforts to help you, I feel sure SETAR will do the same thing to assist you.

As far as to it being worth it, you can check the various rental sites and see what each offers. It is all about minutes and your anticipated use. If you will be using it for a few minutes a day, stick with your home unit. If you feel that you might exceed 10 minutes a day, consider one of the varied rental offers.

Phones offer call and receive services while calling cards offer call services since you obviously cannot receive a call on a calling card. Consider what your needs are and then move in that direction.

All of us here are willing to assist you.

NOW .. that was pretty unbiased and fair , tight??

be well
charles
arubafastphones.com
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Mild Mannered Meek SuperModerator

sherry is on a distinguished road

you did really well charles,

my personal opinion on cell phones is it doesn't take long to spend the $1.29 per minute up into a category fit only for the rich and famous.

if you plan to check in with family, call restaurants, set up times for cruises, call friends in other hotels or friends who live on the island, it mounts up to an outrageous total faster than you can imagine.

the cost per minute is very low if you rent or buy on aruba. the more you use the bought or rented one, the cheaper the investment becomes in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes View Post
Let me try to answer this in an unbiased manner since we have Fast phones. - Here goes...

We have quite some folks come to our booth and ask about assisting them with the VERIZON connection so that they can roam. We are finding the following:
For a reason (totally unknown to me as to why) some of the VERIZON phones work. It seems as if at this point it is a matter of the model of phone you have. Now - I have to admitt that this does not make alot of sense to me since all the phones should be able to roam.

If you have a VERIZON unit and want to see if it will roam, you can come to our booth and we will make all efforts to help you, I feel sure SETAR will do the same thing to assist you.

As far as to it being worth it, you can check the various rental sites and see what each offers. It is all about minutes and your anticipated use. If you will be using it for a few minutes a day, stick with your home unit. If you feel that you might exceed 10 minutes a day, consider one of the varied rental offers.

Phones offer call and receive services while calling cards offer call services since you obviously cannot receive a call on a calling card. Consider what your needs are and then move in that direction.

All of us here are willing to assist you.

NOW .. that was pretty unbiased and fair , tight??

be well
charles
arubafastphones.com
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenlovesAruba View Post
going Jan 20th and spoke to verizon and they stated that you must have international calling (no fee) added to your phone. I hope it works-- also phone works closer to town--go to verizon website and go to international calling then pick Aruba--all info there.
Thanks, Karen!

Charles - a very fair opinion indeed!

Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Aruba Expert

I have to admit, I love to call someone back home, while I sit on the beach, and say "Guess where I am right now?" It's cruel, I know! And if they call me a dirty name, I don't care
Cathy
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post

if you plan to check in with family, call restaurants, set up times for cruises, call friends in other hotels or friends who live on the island, it mounts up to an outrageous total faster than you can imagine.
Hmmm, did we do that??
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 05:35 PM

we sure did and the cheap minutes kept us from breaking the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hokies View Post
Hmmm, did we do that??
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
we sure did and the cheap minutes kept us from breaking the budget.
I did have to refresh my minutes at least once last trip. Used them all up!

You'll have to call me from the Costa Linda beachfront while I'm chowing down on my Maine lobster this summer.
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
my personal opinion on cell phones is it doesn't take long to spend the $1.29 per minute up into a category fit only for the rich and famous.

But it is worth it when you have to check up on your teen-age daughter! I can keep the yelling to a bare minimum if I have to!

Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 08:12 PM

not disputing it at all princess... i just think that 1.29/min is foolish when i can get a phone there and spend a lot less in total. i know that i talked many minutes on the cell phone when there. if it had been my verizon it would have been well over $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
But it is worth it when you have to check up on your teen-age daughter! I can keep the yelling to a bare minimum if I have to!
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
not disputing it at all princess... i just think that 1.29/min is foolish when i can get a phone there and spend a lot less in total. i know that i talked many minutes on the cell phone when there. if it had been my verizon it would have been well over $100.

We dont really use our that much. But we just discussed it and will probably rent one because the other one I will be using will be from Aruba, so when we call each other back and forth, they will be local calls.

Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Verizon Cell Phone Use

This conversation is like should you go AI or not... everyone feels differently. I bought my phone on Aruba a few years ago that can only be used there to call back home or locally, but can't be used in the US. I think I spent about $70 or $80. I buy ventaha cards, and it's been wonderful. Best investment I've made. Because I forgot to leave it with a friend last year to use every now and then, I'll have to go to Setar and have it reactivated, I guess. Not a big deal. As long as you use it every six months or so, you keep the same phone number... Guess I'll get a new number or find out how that works.
Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM

From VZW web site...

International Roaming - Aruba
Per Minute Rate
Voice Calls are $1.29 per minute.
City Listing
Bakval
Pos Chiquito
Balashi
Sabana Basora
Bubali
Santa Cruz
Catashi
Savaneta
Eagle
Simeon Antonio
Noord
St. Nicolas
Oranjestad
Tanki Leendert
Palm Beach
Valero Oil Refinery
Paradera

CDMA roaming rate is either $0.69 per minute or $1.29 per minute, depending on the country, or per your Corporate Agreement. This information is current as of 8/3/06, but is subject to change without notice.

These are the PHONES listed???
Global Phones
Built with both CDMA and GSM capabilities, so you can use it in the U.S. and overseas with the included SIM card.
Motorola a840
  • Voice-activated dialing
  • 1.2 megapixel camera with flash
  • Get sports, news & email with Mobile Web 2.0*
  • Get It Now capable*
  • Speakerphone, scheduler, contact directory

Samsung a795
  • Voice-activated dialing
  • Large 260K internal color display
  • Web browser*
  • Get It Now capable*
  • Scheduler, calculator, alarm clock, contact directory

Samsung i830
  • VZEmail with Wireless Sync
  • Bluetooth® Capable
  • Microsoft® Pocket PC 2003 Phone Edition, 2nd Edition
  • Integrated QWERTY Keyboard
  • 64MB RAM/128 MB Flash
  • SD I/O Expansion Slot for additional memory and peripheral devices
  • High resolution screen: 2.8" 240*320, 65k TFT LCD
Old Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Aruba Expert

We just need to be smart consumers. Know your personal cell phone company, know your phone (Can it do what you want?) and know your needs while in Aruba. That will help you decide how to handle things!
Cathy
Old Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 11:27 AM

KarenlovesAruba is on a distinguished road

Did you have international service added to your phone??
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiviAruba View Post
Got back yesterday, Verizon cell did not work.
Old Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Aruba Expert

HOkies are saying amouthfull about being smart consumers. They are 100% correct.
First, dedcide if you will need a phone and then if you do, here are some tips on figuring out which way to go:

If you own a phone that roams (no matter which company) you do not need to buy a phone but are only concerned with call rates. In most cases, you will pay for both incomming and outgoing.

As a middle of the road number, let's use $1.25 per minute.

If you call or receive calls for about one hour during the entire trip, then the cost to you is 60 X $1.25 = $75.00 This averages out to be less than 10 minutes a day for both incomming and outgoing combined. as a matter of fact it is about 8minutes and 31 seconds.(more or less)

The average phone rental package is in the $50 per week range including outgoing minutes. Different companies offer different amounts.

By checking out the amounts offered, you can do the rest of the math and come up with something tht suits you.

In a large % of the cases, renting is cheaper. So the question is - "Why do people like ROAMING?" The answer is that it allows business associates to refer to a familiar number and many phones come programmed to carry much information that is valuable during the business calls.

What we sadly see is a loss of phone information or cell damage due to mistakenly going into the pool or sauna with the cell in the pocket. another big destroyer is beach sand. As cool as it is to sit out there with your $1,000 smart phone and make calls from the beach chair, it does carry a real risk.

The credit card phones are the most expensive way to go. I have met the owners of that company and they shared with me that sales are declining and they anticipate the fact that shoppers (callers) have gotten smarter, will bring their business to an end within a few years.

Calling cards are inexpensive but they are definately a ONE-WAY ticket. Cant receive a call on them and that is at odds with the folks that get them to stay in touch because of emergencies back home.

Some of the hotels have come with a $10 per day fee for unlimited calls. that is turning out to not be so popular. I do not know why.

Which way should you go? Your call completely.

If you have any questions, I would be glad to handle them either here or PM.

I notice that HDARUBA printed a rental company ad. This is basically set up for roaming. In other words, what you are renting is a roaming phone. In my humble opinion, you are better off roaming with your own. Sorry but just an opinion.

be well
charles
Old Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Aruba Expert

chrisnwillie is on a distinguished road

I called Nextel on Friday morning (who Sprint bought out). I have a IDEN phone and they told me Nextel customers would have to open an additional account with Sprint.

OR, I could purchase a I-920 or I-930 phone, put my sim card in it, turn on Nextel Worldwide Service, and hope it works there and if it does, pay $1.99/per minute for incoming and outgoing calls.

I think I'll just keep my phone I bought there, and use it for $.34/minute outgoing and free incoming.
Old Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 03:29 PM

artdorko is on a distinguished road

International calling from Aruba (incoming & outgoing) on Verizon Wireless will cost $1.29/minute with no additional daily or monthly charges. You can call *611 from your cell phone & they will add international calling to your phone plan. You will then hang up & dial *228 to reprogram your phone to make & accept international calls.

Verizon does have a "Value Plan" for $3.99/month, which allows you to make calls TO Aruba for $.39/min instead of $1.49/min from your home calling area. These rates do not apply while roaming. Soooo, if you call Aruba from home for more than 3 minutes, you are better off signing up for the value plan, which you can cancel at any time, no penalty. We will be setting this up for my MIL before we leave, so she can call us in our room.

If your phone was purchased anytime in the last 3 or so years, it is most likely a CDMA or Tri Mode phone. This will allow you to add the int'l calling. When you call Verizon, tell them which phone you have. They will look it up for you. I have a Samsung A650. Bob has a Razr3m. We have set up the int'l calling & in 9 days, we will see if they work.

I think some of the people who have trouble using their Verizon phones, may not have set up int'l calling & then done the *228 to reprogram the phone. This must be done from your home calling area.

Old Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnwillie View Post
I called Nextel on Friday morning (who Sprint bought out). I have a IDEN phone and they told me Nextel customers would have to open an additional account with Sprint.

OR, I could purchase a I-920 or I-930 phone, put my sim card in it, turn on Nextel Worldwide Service, and hope it works there and if it does, pay $1.99/per minute for incoming and outgoing calls.

I think I'll just keep my phone I bought there, and use it for $.34/minute outgoing and free incoming.
My I930 works fine in Aruba but it makes more $$$'s and cents to rent one as charles states... Lets see $1.29 per min or $.34 per min..

CHARLES what I posted was from Verizons web page... on the cost of using Verizon in Aruba.
Old Tuesday, January 16th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Aruba Expert

OOHH OK. Now it makes sense. Some of the companies that claim to have "World Phones" actually on ly rent you a phonne with "roaming" capabilities.
be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdaruba View Post

CHARLES what I posted was from Verizons web page... on the cost of using Verizon in Aruba.
Old Tuesday, January 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM

artdorko is on a distinguished road

At $1.29/minute on Verizon, I don't plan to use the phone much, if at all. If we wanted to be available, or if we wanted to make a lot of calls, we would definitely rent a phone on the island instead of using our Verizon. I can see how we could run up a huge roaming bill very quickly.

Old Wednesday, January 17th, 2007, 09:45 PM

scubafever is on a distinguished road

As long as international calling has been added, there should be no problem calling home. However, I did not read any mention that we will have to place the call using the U.S. country code. From Aruba, you should call 00+1+area code+local number. You can verify how to make any international call by going to www.countrycallingcodes.com.

scubafever.com