Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road
Default Zeerovers

There is an active discussion on one of those "other" bulletin boards about Zeerovers. It seems rather civil at this point, but that could change at any time.

Opinions are more moderate here and I value your opinions.

Any experiences to share with this restaurant? It seems it is very much a local place. I am confused by some replies. They sell fresh fish to take back to cook. They don't really have a menu, but they serve food...unless they run out. One person said it is far less "snobby" than Flying Fishbone or The Old Man and the Sea. I saw a number of photos. It looks like it is a bar...that may or may not sell and/or serve fish.

Help me straighten out my thinking. Sounds like a place we would like to try...to buy fish, to eat seafood.

Thanks!

Last edited by JohnJT; Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Correction
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010, 06:48 PM

aaahruba is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zeerovers

Haven't seen the other board but we stopped in the last time we were there last Fall. There are some days they don't cook anything and I can't remember which days. They told us to 'call ahead' and check. It's not geared to tourists - everything is on Aruba time. Sometimes they might have fish and cook it - sometimes not. You can hang out, have a seat at the water and get a Balashi for $1.40 though! To even compare it to Flying Fishbone or any other restaurant would be really far fetched. Would I recommend going? Sure, but just for a drink and soak up some local color. (remember I Love Lucy when she was in Italy and wanted to 'soak up some local color'?? )) - and, if they happen to be cooking sea food that day, that's an added bonus.

Last edited by aaahruba; Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010, 08:44 PM

Manzanita is on a distinguished road

This place sounds like right up our alley. Good food or not, we like local color. Still waiting to buy our plane tickets to Aruba for Nov-Dec. I'm working too much OT & Dad's jugglin' the books to make it happen! LOL
Old Thursday, June 3rd, 2010, 08:27 AM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road

We have been there many times and always have found it really clean.
We love the atmosphere.

It is a great place to stop, sit out on the deck and have a drink. Also have some sea food if we want.
We have eaten it there and bought it to go.

Ignore some of the posts on the other board.

Old Thursday, June 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM

jawz is on a distinguished road

Hi JohnJT
Zeerovers is a local fish pier and Bar. I suggest you go and have a cold refreshment and just ask the people serving the drinks at the window, when they will be serving fish and how you can get in on the fun. They are great people and are more than Happy to help you out and have you come back and enjoy the place. It's not even comparable to a restaurant as it is fun place to eat and hang out. Not a flying Fishbones and it isnt meant to be. They also have live music sometimes. You just have to ask people there and they will guide in the right direction.
Go and relax. It's worth the visit.

Last edited by jawz; Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Thursday, June 3rd, 2010, 01:24 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road

Where is this place?
Old Thursday, June 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM

On the west side of Savanetta. The same road as Flying Fishbones.
Zeerovers sunsets are the best. Great place for pics !
Old Thursday, June 3rd, 2010, 10:19 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

OK, I have one of my long stories here about Zeerovers. I'm not sure what it's like now, we were there a long, long time ago. I certainly never thought of it as a restaurant and I never saw anywhere to sit outside. My husband and I had quite the experience here about - gee I want to say about 10 years ago? It was definitely before 911 because I was still smuggling seafood home in a cooler and I've definitely had to give that up after 2001. I had it in my head that I was going bring home wahoo and so I went on the hunt for it. While having a beer at the Paddock, one of the waiters said to go to Zeerovers (I still have the piece of paper he wrote the name on) and ask for mulato, and that the people there would know what I was talking about. So we get in the car and head to Savaneta and start asking people on the street where it is, and finally a woman points to this building that I would NEVER think was the place. I was so sure it wasn't the right place that I told Frank to stay in the car while I check it out. When I walked in (and it seemed I was walking into a cave), I saw about a dozen men standing around drinking and talking. When they saw me, everyone shut up. I mean it was dead quiet. My first thought was hmmm, maybe I shouldn't be here, kinda nervous. But then I managed to squeak out the word "mulato?" And all of a sudden, I had 12 brand new friends. They laughed and said, "Yes, much mulato here!!" They put their arms around me, patted me on the back and put a fresh balashi in my hand. Then I remembered Frank and went out and motioned for him to come on in! For the next several hours we spoke whatever Papiamento we could and they spoke whatever English they could. We had the BEST time ever. Every time we were almost finished with our beer, another one magically appeared. We wanted to buy beers back, but they always beat us to the punch. I'm not kidding - I'm ashamed to guess how many of those little bottles of balashi we had. Well into the double digits. They were lined up along the wall behind us. Finally, I asked someone how the heck can we buy back, and he said the trick is you have to buy the beer when you see their bottle is almost empty. That's why they kept beating us to the punch.

And the fish guy? What can I say about this big smiling guy with his heavy leather apron, and holding this big cleaver? He was the best!! A boat would come in, he would clean the fish, cut it up, and fry the pieces right there on the spot in this big huge pot. Right in the middle of the room! They kept bringing us paper plates of it with the hot papaya sauce. They seemed impressed how hot we like it. I don't know how it could be a restaurant because we ate for free all afternoon. We met all kinds of people, fisherman, teacher, waiters, hotel workers, a doctor named "Doc", and every single one of them treated us like family. And to think, at first, I was a little nervous about having walked in there alone. We got there about 1:00 in the afternoon, and left around dinner time. And we only left because we were taking another couple out to dinner that night, although I'm not sure how we made it. This was definitely one of those wonderful unplanned days. We have never forgotten our day with these wonderful people. We've never been back - and I think it's mainly because the memory is so great the way it is I don't want it to change.

Oh, and I DID go home with my wahoo. And it was huge. They had to cut it up into thirds to get it to fit. They would only sell me the whole fish you see. I remember it cost $30 for the whole thing. I also found out that I absolutely suck at cutting up wahoo. I positively mauled that thing.

So, if the place stayed the same - it's WONDERFUL. And if it became a full-fledged restaurant, even better.
Old Thursday, June 3rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

ok ro, you've convinced me. i must go there in august.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
OK, I have one of my long stories here about Zeerovers. I'm not sure what it's like now, we were there a long, long time ago. I certainly never thought of it as a restaurant and I never saw anywhere to sit outside. My husband and I had quite the experience here about - gee I want to say about 10 years ago? It was definitely before 911 because I was still smuggling seafood home in a cooler and I've definitely had to give that up after 2001. I had it in my head that I was going bring home wahoo and so I went on the hunt for it. While having a beer at the Paddock, one of the waiters said to go to Zeerovers (I still have the piece of paper he wrote the name on) and ask for mulato, and that the people there would know what I was talking about. So we get in the car and head to Savaneta and start asking people on the street where it is, and finally a woman points to this building that I would NEVER think was the place. I was so sure it wasn't the right place that I told Frank to stay in the car while I check it out. When I walked in (and it seemed I was walking into a cave), I saw about a dozen men standing around drinking and talking. When they saw me, everyone shut up. I mean it was dead quiet. My first thought was hmmm, maybe I shouldn't be here, kinda nervous. But then I managed to squeak out the word "mulato?" And all of a sudden, I had 12 brand new friends. They laughed and said, "Yes, much mulato here!!" They put their arms around me, patted me on the back and put a fresh balashi in my hand. Then I remembered Frank and went out and motioned for him to come on in! For the next several hours we spoke whatever Papiamento we could and they spoke whatever English they could. We had the BEST time ever. Every time we were almost finished with our beer, another one magically appeared. We wanted to buy beers back, but they always beat us to the punch. I'm not kidding - I'm ashamed to guess how many of those little bottles of balashi we had. Well into the double digits. They were lined up along the wall behind us. Finally, I asked someone how the heck can we buy back, and he said the trick is you have to buy the beer when you see their bottle is almost empty. That's why they kept beating us to the punch.

And the fish guy? What can I say about this big smiling guy with his heavy leather apron, and holding this big cleaver? He was the best!! A boat would come in, he would clean the fish, cut it up, and fry the pieces right there on the spot in this big huge pot. Right in the middle of the room! They kept bringing us paper plates of it with the hot papaya sauce. They seemed impressed how hot we like it. I don't know how it could be a restaurant because we ate for free all afternoon. We met all kinds of people, fisherman, teacher, waiters, hotel workers, a doctor named "Doc", and every single one of them treated us like family. And to think, at first, I was a little nervous about having walked in there alone. We got there about 1:00 in the afternoon, and left around dinner time. And we only left because we were taking another couple out to dinner that night, although I'm not sure how we made it. This was definitely one of those wonderful unplanned days. We have never forgotten our day with these wonderful people. We've never been back - and I think it's mainly because the memory is so great the way it is I don't want it to change.

Oh, and I DID go home with my wahoo. And it was huge. They had to cut it up into thirds to get it to fit. They would only sell me the whole fish you see. I remember it cost $30 for the whole thing. I also found out that I absolutely suck at cutting up wahoo. I positively mauled that thing.

So, if the place stayed the same - it's WONDERFUL. And if it became a full-fledged restaurant, even better.
Old Friday, June 4th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
ok ro, you've convinced me. i must go there in august.
Zeerovers attitude is still the same. Come one , come all. They have alot more seating as a hurricane passed north west of here 2 years ago and wiped out the old pier. Now it has new larger one with umbrellas and palm tress lining the walk way. They updated the bathrooms and so on. Still the same atmospher it had when it opened and all the same employee's. A few added family Pelican friends and crabs.
You don't beat ice cold beer on this dock on a hot day !!!!!
Old Friday, June 4th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator

looks like they will get an influx of 6 people in august. hope they can tolerate us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz View Post
Zeerovers attitude is still the same. Come one , come all. They have alot more seating as a hurricane passed north west of here 2 years ago and wiped out the old pier. Now it has new larger one with umbrellas and palm tress lining the walk way. They updated the bathrooms and so on. Still the same atmospher it had when it opened and all the same employee's. A few added family Pelican friends and crabs.
You don't beat ice cold beer on this dock on a hot day !!!!!
Old Friday, June 4th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
looks like they will get an influx of 6 people in august. hope they can tolerate us.
If they can deal with me !!!!!!!!!!!! They can handle 50 more just like me LOL
I havent been down in a few weeks, so today, I am on my way , this post is making me thirsty already and it's not even 9:00 A.M. My wife is gonna shoot me as she has to work today Glad she's a good sport. I'll have one for all the fun loving members. (Each and Everyone !)
Old Friday, June 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
If they can deal with me !!!!!!!!!!!! They can handle 50 more just like me LOL
I havent been down in a few weeks, so today, I am on my way , this post is making me thirsty already and it's not even 9:00 A.M. My wife is gonna shoot me as she has to work today Glad she's a good sport. I'll have one for all the fun loving members. (Each and Everyone !)

When my husband and I stopped by there so long ago, we felt we had stumbled into a local hangout. It did not resemble a restaurant by any stretch of the imagination. Just a bar and the fish they were passing around. But I do remember it was a Friday and everyone had that "everbody's working for the weekend" attitude. arty: As usual, the people are what stood out here - they were all so interesting and so interested in us as well. I did occasionally see a wife come in and drag their spouse home though LOL. I wonder if it's time for another visit.

Jawz, perhaps you were among the crowd that Friday long ago?
Old Friday, June 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
When my husband and I stopped by there so long ago, we felt we had stumbled into a local hangout. It did not resemble a restaurant by any stretch of the imagination. Just a bar and the fish they were passing around. But I do remember it was a Friday and everyone had that "everbody's working for the weekend" attitude. arty: As usual, the people are what stood out here - they were all so interesting and so interested in us as well. I did occasionally see a wife come in and drag their spouse home though LOL. I wonder if it's time for another visit.

Jawz, perhaps you were among the crowd that Friday long ago?
Everyday seems like Friday L0L
It's not like when you work all week and watch the news to see the weather and to find out if it will be nice on your day off. I really loose track of what day it is because it's just about the same everyday. About the only way I keep track of what day it is, is when the Bills arrive !
Tough Life, but someone has to live it

P.S. If I were there that Friday, you would probably know me ! LOL
Old Thursday, June 17th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Aruba Expert

Arubalisa is on a distinguished road

Sherry, take me with you and I will buy the first round of Balashi's!
Old Thursday, June 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Administrator

that would be great. come on down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
Sherry, take me with you and I will buy the first round of Balashi's!
Old Saturday, August 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM

Singingirl96 is on a distinguished road

I just returned from Aruba and my meal at Zeerovers was definitely one of my best. It came highly recommended by several locals.
As mentioned, zeerovers is a local bar with a LOT of local flavor. This is not a touristy hangout, but he locals are really nice and will welcome you with open arms.
You buy the whole fish (whatever they have available that day, I had the red snapper) at the window and they will prepare it along with bread, plantains and french fries.
Because they bring the fish in and clean it by the water, the whole place smells of fish, didn't bother me, but my husband was a little turned off by it. We solved the problem by sitting at the end of their pier.
The fish was delicious and the sunset was awesome too.

Highly recommend this place.
Old Sunday, August 29th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Aruba Expert

qlaval is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On the west side of Savanetta. The same road as Flying Fishbones.....
Can you be more specific about the location?
Before or after FF?
Old Sunday, August 29th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Zeerovers

Glaval, I was wondering myself so I googled it and here is the sight.
Zeerover (Fisherman's Bar), Savaneta, Aruba

I remember seeing the big statue in front so its right before you turn on the stone road to go to FF. Its on the water and here are some pics of it on this sight. I will have to try it this winter. I would love to get some fresh wahoo. Kent

29th trip Nov 4th for 5 months!!
Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
www.arubabobsnorkeling.com
Old Sunday, August 29th, 2010, 07:53 PM

mafalda is on a distinguished road

before ff...look on your right for a house with a huge statue of BETICO CROES in their porch (i am not kidding) and next u will see several containers...it is right there...behind the containers...there is no sign but there is always lots of cars parked in front
Old Sunday, August 29th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Aruba Expert

qlaval is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Qlaval, I was wondering myself so I googled it and here is the sight.
Zeerover (Fisherman's Bar), Savaneta, Aruba

I remember seeing the big statue in front so its right before you turn on the stone road to go to FF. Its on the water and here are some pics of it on this sight. I will have to try it this winter. I would love to get some fresh wahoo. Kent
Thanks for the link Kent!
Old Tuesday, August 31st, 2010, 04:33 PM
Aruba Expert

Oh we definitely have to go back. This time though, I will just have a dinner portion and eat it there. All we wanted on our visit 10+ years ago was to smuggle a wahoo home to the states. I had no idea wahoo was like 3+ feet long!!! The smuggling days are over, but I am really looking forward to eating there again. It's time for another visit!!!!