Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare & Vacation Properties > Timeshare Q&A

Timeshare Q&A General questions about timeshares.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Friday, June 9th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road
Default Any RCI Points Members???

I have a ton of questions I will either ask here or PM anyone who knows anything about them.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, June 11th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Luckydog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any RCI Points Members???

Yes, DiviAruba
We are members of both RCI points & II. I'll be glad to help if I can.
Barb
Old Monday, June 12th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Aruba Expert

Many questions:

1. How easy can you trade to Aruba? Looking at March weeks.
2. You can only trade within 10 months?
3. If you have points, you are giving up your week all together right? You would have to pay RCI to get the week you own? Let me explain. I own Divi Village week 11, one bedroom. I would have to search with RCI points for my week 11 week? I could not just go to the Divi Village week without having RCI points involved? I guess what I'm saying is that my week 11 would automatically be "banked" with the point system?
4. Fees are only $99. for 7 nights anywhere? No extra fees except for the $99. per year to be a points member?

It seems like a lot of money to have to pay so much for 3 nights all the way up to 7+ nights at $99. (But weeks members pay over $150. to trade).

They make it sound like Aruba is a breeze to trade to. I doubt that but want to know from soemone experienced. I am looking at a place with 92,500 points every other year, but if I play my cards right I will be able to get a week each year if I get a studio or 1 bedroom. But I want to hook a week onto a timeshare I own at the Divi Village in March.

How lucky have you been with Aruba trades? I have been very disappointed with RCI weeks with my timeshare so used Interval for my Aruba week which I had to bank last year. I am never planning on banking my Aruba week again. With the Aruba weeks being so expensive I was hoping to buy a points week and getting to Aruba. What I don't understand is why would it be so easy to get an Aruba week with points when it is almost impossible with weeks? Does RCI take all the points owners time and keep it there and not use the weeks members deposits?

What I am wondering is if I should buy a Points timeshare instead of a cheap Interval related timeshare and probably get Aruba through Interval. What I don't like about Interval is that they will not let us trade to the Marriott because I own in Aruba. I would like to stay there at least once.

Where do you own and where have you traded to with points? I own at the Divi and also in South Africa. I guess if I buy a points week I can change my week membership into points (27,500) for under $30. This makes no sense, but I guess it can be done.

After you answer I will probably have more questions, like if I don't have enough already!

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by DiviAruba; Monday, June 12th, 2006 at 06:06 AM.
Old Monday, June 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Diviaruba,
We own at Divi Village also. That is where we have the points system. So we don't actually trade into Aruba as we own there, however with the points system it should't matter where you own.

1. Once you get into points system, you would always have to reserve your week12-13 months in advance. (your week at your resort) A one month window is all you have.
2. Home Resort 11-12 months in advance (not your week , but your resort) Again a one month window
3. Home Group (All divi resorts) 10-11 months in advance.
4. Standard RCI points reservation 10 months or less.( 1 day -10 months)
So to anwser one of your questions, Yes your week automatically is deposited. To reserve your particular week you must do it 12-13 months in advance.The 99$ is just the membership fee. There are still fees involved with trading.
I'll get back to you later today, as I have to get to work.. More answers to come.
Old Monday, June 12th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Question Re: Any RCI Points Members???

Diviaruba,
I'm a little confused.. Are you considering buying another timeshare with points system aready or are you considering changing one over to the points system? If you are hooked on your week 11 in Aruba with Divi ,then there is no value in changing that one over to points. If the other one in South Africa can be changed over, there is a lot to consider. I don't know who told you that you could change a weeks to points for 30$, however I can pratically gaurantee you that is NOT true. I'm not sure when week 11 is, if it is near the end of March ,you would stand a better chance of getting the week following yours. People don't usually give up their weeks in high season to RCI or II. They rent them out, as they can get more for them than to bank them, and not get what they want.
On the other hand the points gives you lots of flexability with your week,
particularly if you are getting 90 some thousand points. You could go to aruba 2X. Or if you reserve it earily enough could add it on to your existing week, and still have enough points to go again or somewhere else.
Also if you stay in the states and can go within 45 days, you can either use last call @ RCI or 9000 points.
I know this can all sound confusing, PM me or if you have a verizon cell phone, leave it in the PM, I'll explain as much as I can to you.
Old Monday, June 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Aruba Expert

I am thinking of buying at an RCI Points place in Florida so I can use the points for Aruba. I will not be changing my Divi Village to points as I have no plan on ever banking it. Week 11 will be 3/18-3/25 in 2007. It is considered the first week of the Gold season within Divi resorts. Actually I called the RCI Points number and they said I could change my Weeks unit to points for $26. or $29. per year if I have at least one Points resort.

I am trying to decide whether I would get a better trade with Interval or RCI Points to Aruba without an Aruban week. All the Aruba weeks when I want to go are way out of hand price wise. I especially like the low rise Divi area or Casa Del Mar, ABC, Costa Linda. I am really not interested in trading to the high rise area. It appears that only the Divi's and Playa Linda are points members, but the guy at RCI Points said that I could also get a week that a "week" member has. I am so confused. Yjamnks for all the info. I am also PMing you.

Old Wednesday, July 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM

intheblue is on a distinguished road

We just found this web site www.TimeshareRevealed.com and it is too bad that we did not know about it before we bought our timeshare from Point To Point Destinations. If we knew all the facts instead of listening to their sales presentation, we would never buy it to begin with. We are very disappointed with Point To Point Destinations (West Coast Timeshare or PTP Destinations). We sent them the following letter but there was no reply other than a short phone call telling us that there is nothing they can do about anything.

=======================================

"TO: Point to Point Destinations / RCI

To Whom It May Concern:

Dear Sirs:

I would like to bring to your attention the following points and I would like you to address it to the right person to provide me with a prompt response.

I just returned from a vacation in Hawaii and these are my comments and concerns:

-I used my points to pay for a one bedroom in a “Gold Resort” category, Kahana Falls and to my surprise it was only a “Silver Resort”. I was not notified of the change nor given a refund for the difference in points.

-I paid a fee for the use of the condo at the time of booking.

-I paid membership fee of $118 August 30, 2007.

-I paid my annual maintenance fee or strata fee of $239 for the year, which is supposed to cover maintenance, electricity, power etc.

-Then to my surprise I had to pay another a fee of $114 for electricity on top of the regular charge for the use of the condo electricity at my check out time.

-By the time I was done paying all the fees for the use of one week I would have been better off renting a beach front condo for the same amount and without all the hassle of having to book 1 year in advance.

-January 1/2007 the fee went up from $239 to $276.25 this is a 17% raise.

-January 1/2008 the fee went up again another 12% to $309.

-I bought this points to ensure I could vacation in my old age as a pensioner. In the next 20 years by my retirement date this fees will be up over 320% or more? This is absolutely ridiculous and I would call it a s**m.

-I do not record voting or proxy voting to increase strata fees. Strata fee increases in BC have to be voted on by all owners.

-In August 2007 I booked another short vacation in the Okanagan and to my surprise I was not in a Resort, I was in a “Trailer Park”. There was no beach access and the Trailer park was located in a no-swim lake. This is not my kind of vacation resort.

For all these reasons I would like to have someone contact me as soon as possible to discuss the back purchase of my points or to sell them since I am not happy with the RCI system and is not going to be useful to me in the future. I am very disappointed."
Old Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Aruba Expert

I think you are not fluent in the way timeshares work which unfortunately made the timeshare buy not good for you.

-I used my points to pay for a one bedroom in a “Gold Resort” category, Kahana Falls and to my surprise it was only a “Silver Resort”. I was not notified of the change nor given a refund for the difference in points.

It does not matter if the resort is downgraded, points are points, they will more than likely stay the same.

-I paid a fee for the use of the condo at the time of booking.

Paid a fee to who? RCI? The place in Hawaii?

-I paid membership fee of $118 August 30, 2007.

Are you talking about the fee for being an RCI member? If so, that is something that will never end.

-I paid my annual maintenance fee or strata fee of $239 for the year, which is supposed to cover maintenance, electricity, power etc.
-Then to my surprise I had to pay another a fee of $114 for electricity on top of the regular charge for the use of the condo electricity at my check out time.
-January 1/2007 the fee went up from $239 to $276.25 this is a 17% raise.
-January 1/2008 the fee went up again another 12% to $309.

$239. is a cheap main. fee, even $309. is. Mine is over $700. Many timeshares have extra taxes and/or electricty fees. Aruba has this even to the owners.

-In August 2007 I booked another short vacation in the Okanagan and to my surprise I was not in a Resort, I was in a “Trailer Park”. There was no beach access and the Trailer park was located in a no-swim lake. This is not my kind of vacation resort.

You should have been able to look up where you were staying and see what it had to offer. tripadvisor.com could give you reviews. Research is needed for anywhere to ensure you will have a good time.

Research is needed for all vacation plans in my opinion. I have found that out by not researching and going to resorts that were less than perfect. A timeshare is a huge investment and should not be taken lightly.

I paid about $100 a week for my Aruba fixed March timeshare week, 37 weeks left at $3,200. Even with the main. fees ($708.) and extra $$ for taxes $45.50 + $21. energy surcharge, it is still cheaper than the $4452.56 that the resort would charge from their website for my 2009 week.

I paid $84.49 per week I own
$708.00 main fee
$45.50 taxes
$21.00 energy surcharge
________
$858.99 to stay the week in 2009

$4452.56 (pay through resort)
- $858.99 (I will pay)

Old Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 09:07 PM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Any RCI Points Members???

RCI points may be alright but I own RCI timeshare and I can NEVER get a trade into Aruba. With my II, I can trade into Aruba almost any week except Christmas or New Years. Other than those 2 weeks, I can trade into Aruba with II ANYTIME. Let me know if the RCI point system is any better.

29th trip Nov 4th for 5 months!!
Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
www.arubabobsnorkeling.com
Old Friday, August 1st, 2008, 08:19 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
RCI points may be alright but I own RCI timeshare and I can NEVER get a trade into Aruba. With my II, I can trade into Aruba almost any week except Christmas or New Years. Other than those 2 weeks, I can trade into Aruba with II ANYTIME. Let me know if the RCI point system is any better.
RCI points are better than weeks, I own both. I always use my fixed week (except once) and with the points I have been able to always go to Aruba for New Year's. The one time I had to bank my fixed Aruba week, I banked it with Interval. With II you will get Aruba, normally a smaller unit (I own 1 bed, got a studio--but then a bonus week for $199 got another studio at LaCabana). RCI is very hard to get into Aruba through weeks, but RCI Points I have not had a problem, even New Year's.