Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare & Vacation Properties > Timeshare Q&A

Timeshare Q&A General questions about timeshares.

Old Saturday, October 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM

RAVENJLS is on a distinguished road
Default General Rental Info

I am a newby to timeshares. My family and I will be in Aruba in June and wish to stay at the Marriott (Ocean Club or Surf). My question is this...what do you look for or questions to ask to make sure when renting a timeshare from someone that it isnt a scam. I have never been to Aruba and Ive never rented a timeshare, the last thing I would want is to get there and find out I have no place to stay...is there any way to find out ahead time that the transaction was legit? I would certainly like to help someone out by renting their timeshare and of course at the same time getting a break off the Marriott rates but not if there isnt a positive way to make sure its on the up and up...

thanks in advance for any feedback...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, October 28th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: General Rental Info

raven, there are several people on this board who will be able to give you good answers to this question. rarely are the timeshares offered on a bulletin board scams. however, i don't blame you for worrying.

you might want to give us a little list of what you are interested in and we can suggest timeshares that will suit you. that will reduce your confusion a little. so let me ask a few questions.

1. how many people? ages of children?
2. do you like peace and quiet or lots of activity?
3. do you want beach front? or would you be satisfied with being within 100 yards of a beach?
4. do you require a really nice pool or are you more interested in the ocean?
5. how many weeks are you planning to stay?
6. do you have a price range or budget?

there are several timeshares that fit each category so lets narrow it down a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENJLS View Post
I am a newby to timeshares. My family and I will be in Aruba in June and wish to stay at the Marriott (Ocean Club or Surf). My question is this...what do you look for or questions to ask to make sure when renting a timeshare from someone that it isnt a scam. I have never been to Aruba and Ive never rented a timeshare, the last thing I would want is to get there and find out I have no place to stay...is there any way to find out ahead time that the transaction was legit? I would certainly like to help someone out by renting their timeshare and of course at the same time getting a break off the Marriott rates but not if there isnt a positive way to make sure its on the up and up...

Old Saturday, October 28th, 2006, 09:52 PM

Joann71 is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: General Rental Info

Raven,

If you know that you want to stay at the Surf Club they are offering a preview package. The only downside to this package is that you have to go to a 90-minute presentation where they try to sell you a timeshare. I bought this package at the airport in Aruba in 2005 and recently returned from the trip where I used it. The package is for one of the lock-off units for 5 nights but you can pay for up to 2 additional nights and upgrade it to the one bedroom villa for a one time fee. I stayed in the one bedroom for 7 nights for $877- plus they give you 4 $25 gift certificates the day after you check-in which you can use at participating restaurants and stores throughout Aruba. If you don't mind sitting through the presentation it really is a good deal.

I did not have a problem scheduling mine - but you may want to ask what their availability looks like for the timeframe that you want to go. I originally booked mine for March and didn't have a problem. I also had to postpone the trip a couple weeks before I was supposed to go and they let me reschedule it for October even though that was past the expiration date of my package.

If you're interested I can send you the website or give you the 800# to call to purchase the package.

Joann
Old Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Sherry...first off thank you for such a nice response. My family consists of 6 people (2A, 2 girls ages 23, 22 and 2 boys ages 16, 12). We are used to going to the Riviera Maya - 5 star resorts - where the boys participated in water sports and beach games while the girls tanned on the beach. We definately want beach front. We do like a nice pool. Price is not a factor (as I was able to get airfare with AA for 238.00 + tax from Baltimore) I do believe from what Ive read so far that I would prefer to try out the restaurants in Aruba instead of doing an all-inclusive - too bad they dont have an all-inclusive for breakfast and drinks 0nly! Our dates of travel are 6/2 - 6/9. Thanks again for all your help.
Old Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Hi Joann,

That does sound like a great deal but I definately need a 2 bedroom with my family. I do have a question though, I know the ocean/surf club has tennis courts...do you need to bring your own rackets and balls or do they provide them at the resort?
Old Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Administrator

my pleasure raven... my first suggestion would be playa linda. it is right in the heart of the action on the beach which with that crew of yours would definitely be important. i know someone can give you a link to their member site where you can check for rentals.

marriott is also an excellent choice because it is big and active. they also have 2 bedroom units and if price isn't a factor you have it made there.

now...how in the world did you get that price from baltimore? bwi is my airport and i have never seen that price. tell me more, lol.

Quote:
Sherry...first off thank you for such a nice response. My family consists of 6 people (2A, 2 girls ages 23, 22 and 2 boys ages 16, 12). We are used to going to the Riviera Maya - 5 star resorts - where the boys participated in water sports and beach games while the girls tanned on the beach. We definately want beach front. We do like a nice pool. Price is not a factor (as I was able to get airfare with AA for 238.00 + tax from Baltimore) I do believe from what Ive read so far that I would prefer to try out the restaurants in Aruba instead of doing an all-inclusive - too bad they dont have an all-inclusive for breakfast and drinks 0nly! Our dates of travel are 6/2 - 6/9. Thanks again for all your help.
Old Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
my pleasure raven... my first suggestion would be playa linda. it is right in the heart of the action on the beach which with that crew of yours would definitely be important. i know someone can give you a link to their member site where you can check for rentals.

marriott is also an excellent choice because it is big and active. they also have 2 bedroom units and if price isn't a factor you have it made there.

now...how in the world did you get that price from baltimore? bwi is my airport and i have never seen that price. tell me more, lol.

LOL...AA had a sale Thursday, that same exact flight is now $650 pp. Because the cost was under 350 I am getting two free tickets using my miles with my credit card co...over 350.00 I would have only gotten 1 free ticket. So I really lucked out.

I think the Marriott Ocean club or surf club would be the best match for us too ...I just dont know whether to book directly with marriott or try and find a timeshare rental...
Old Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

if you promise to look at their property and listen to the talk, you might again be able to get an upgrade to the 2 bedroom at a bargain rate. check it out with them. joann will give you the phone # if you send her a pm. otherwise, prices are extremely expensive any time you book directly with a timeshare. they get premium while owners tend to give bargains. you also will pay less taxes per day renting thru an owner.

i will have to really watch the aa site. i haven't been checking it the last few weeks. of course, they don't usually put august on sale this early.

thanks for the info!

Quote:
LOL...AA had a sale Thursday, that same exact flight is now $650 pp. Because the cost was under 350 I am getting two free tickets using my miles with my credit card co...over 350.00 I would have only gotten 1 free ticket. So I really lucked out.

I think the Marriott Ocean club or surf club would be the best match for us too ...I just dont know whether to book directly with marriott or try and find a timeshare rental...
Old Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Joann71 is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: General Rental Info

Quote:
Hi Joann,

That does sound like a great deal but I definately need a 2 bedroom with my family. I do have a question though, I know the ocean/surf club has tennis courts...do you need to bring your own rackets and balls or do they provide them at the resort?
Raven,
I'm not sure whether you need to bring your own tennis equipment but they could probably tell you once you called the 800#. Since you already booked your airfare, you would need to make sure before you buy the package that they can guarantee you the same dates and allow you an exception to get a 2-bedroom upgrade. This was not in the documentation anywhere but as Sherry said they may allow this if it will get you there as a potential buyer.

Joann
Old Saturday, March 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM

njkate is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I too am a newbie in renting a timeshare. I've contacted someone in regards to their rental..how do you verify it's legit, especially if you are paying by cheque as there is no recourse like you would get through your credit card.

Old Saturday, March 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM

Weimaraner is on a distinguished road

You can check with the timeshare company. For example, we own through the Marriott Vacation Club and I provide the toll free phone number for people who want to call to verify ownerhsip. Also I took steps to be Square Trade Verified (Ebay requires it) and I had to send proof of ownership to the third party which verified the info and provided me with a Square Trade Verified number.
Old Saturday, March 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM

njkate is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: General Rental Info

Thank you!!!! whilst most people are honest and above board it's not always the case.
I would shudder to arrive in Aruba and discover I've been had

Old Sunday, February 24th, 2008, 05:52 PM

craftygirl is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Preview package info at Marriott

Hi there, would you be so kind as to provide the 800# so I could look into that? Thks!!
Old Sunday, February 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM

craftygirl is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: General Rental Info

HI, I am also new to timeshare renting and have chosen one at Marriott Surf Club and have dealt with the owner this one time and he is very nice and accomadating. I asked for changes to the rental agreement/Lease and he had no problem at all.
He has already provided the Marriott confirmation to me without any payment at all. Should I ask for a letter of authorization from him and/or should I double check with the hotel about his status as far as being current on maintenance fees, etc? Thks for your help!
Old Sunday, February 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Weimaraner is on a distinguished road

You can try this number for Marriott Vacation Club: 1-800-845-5279