Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Tourist Tales

Tourist Tales What makes you visit? What amazing stories have made you come back?

Old Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM

ccharles is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Aruba Airport Public Phones Scam

I recently traveled to aruba in Sept and I used one of the credit card pay phones at the gates. To my surprise when I got my credit card bill, I was charged $41.91 for a one minute call. I filed a complaint with company and the BBB in California and found out this company has numerous complaints from customers in the same situation as I. There is no rates posted or disclosed at the pay phone or at the time of the call. When I called the company I was told there's a 5 minute minimum and it's a satellite call. None of which was disclosed on the pay phone or at the time of the call. I asked to see the agreement with the satellite company and they refused. Further calls to the company, they offered me a credit of $8.31 which I refused. A second call to them, they offered $10.50 credit which I also refused. Each time I asked to speak to a supervisor which they said is unavailable. You will never find this type of business practice in the U.S., I was surprise scams like this still exists... especially at an well recognized airport with close ties with the U.S. like ARUBA. I enjoyed vacationing at ARUBA but this is not the best way to end my trip, spending numerous hours filing complaints and attempting to resolve this issue with the credit card company for this charge.

Aruba airport should do the right thing and protect the travelers to come to Aruba to spend their hard earn money vacationing. This is absolutely the worse thing the Aruba can ever do to tourists that come to Aruba and support it's economy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aruba Airport Authority is getting paid off by the company in high price leases for the telephone space!!!

The company name for the pay phone is International Satellite Communications, 511 East Sanysidro, Suite 1770, Sanysidro CA, 92173 800-576-5402.

The following BBB office handles and has many complaints against this company. Please take steps to either remove the pay phones from the airport or have them post rate information on the pay phone or disclose rate and charges before connecting the call so the tourists does not fall into the trap like I did and get a $42 charge on the credit card for a one minute land line call that they claim to be satellite.

BBB of Silicon Valley
(San Jose, CA)
700 Empey Way, Suite 110
San Jose, CA 95128
Phone: (408)278-7400
Fax: (408)278-7444
Email:
info@bbbsilicon.org
Web: http://www.bbbsilicon.org

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aruba Airport Public Phones Scam

I want to make it clear up front that I am NOT condoning what the company did to you with the phone charge - it's definitely not right! That being said, I have always known from very early on that you should NEVER make a phone call on a public phone in another country using a credit card. In Aruba, or anywhere else for that matter. It's unfortunate that you didn't know that going into it.

The information on this board is often times priceless, and having seen so many tips on how to call from Aruba to the US, this is something I have always known and more or less assumed at times as well.

I hope you get your money back.

Old Monday, October 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road

ccharles....I am not condoning what this company did either......but as the last reply stated calling internationally from a pay phone with a credit card anywhere's in the world is an invite for a zinger of a charge.....and in all fairness to Aruba, they can not regulate what an American company charges you. They simply rent the phone space to the USA company.

Best bet for making calls when traveling internationally is an international phone card with typical rates of 18-25 cents a minute. They can be bought in the states at Wal-Marts, Targets etc. etc.
Old Monday, October 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelldiver View Post
ccharles....I am not condoning what this company did either......but as the last reply stated calling internationally from a pay phone with a credit card anywhere's in the world is an invite for a zinger of a charge.....and in all fairness to Aruba, they can not regulate what an American company charges you. They simply rent the phone space to the USA company.

Best bet for making calls when traveling internationally is an international phone card with typical rates of 18-25 cents a minute. They can be bought in the states at Wal-Marts, Targets etc. etc.
Well said. And thank you.
Old Friday, October 19th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road

This company also has phones @ the Phoenix. We learned the hard way a few years ago. It was much more convenient than going to a Setar location, so we thought they were great. Three (short) calls home @ $35.00 each............. The past couple of years we've stayed in touch with email. This year, we're giving in and going with a Modowon.

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Old Friday, October 19th, 2007, 07:46 AM

ARUBA777 is on a distinguished road

I Hate To Admit It But That Happened To Us And I Got A Bill For Over $400.00 For A 10 Minute Call But After Telling Them I Refuse To Pay The Bill The Adjusted It To $12.50 And Sent Me Another Bill Which I Graciously Paid In Full. After That Ordeal I Never Used Another One Of Those Phones Again!
Old Tuesday, February 5th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

For clarities sake, this is not in any way related to the
Fast Phones booth that does offer short single calls at a very reduced rate. What we offer is mostly for the

"HI MOM WE MADE IT" crowd.

Be well
charles
Old Tuesday, July 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Peterson is on a distinguished road

I just got a telephone bill for a call I made at the airport on Sunday July 6 on my return back to MA for less than 1 minute since my office at home was closed. Cost billed to my credit card was $49. No information on the phone just after passing Aruba customs.
A real rip off to say the least.
T. Peterson
Old Tuesday, July 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

i would dispute the bill. call your credit card company immediately and tell them you need to dispute the bill and they will tell you how to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
I just got a telephone bill for a call I made at the airport on Sunday July 6 on my return back to MA for less than 1 minute since my office at home was closed. Cost billed to my credit card was $49. No information on the phone just after passing Aruba customs.
A real rip off to say the least.
T. Peterson
Old Wednesday, July 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Aruba Airport Public Phones Scam

We still use the booth at the Alhambra shops. 25 cents a minute. Talk as long as you want. As for making a call at the airport, I cant really see any pressing need. Wait untill the plane lands in the U.S. and use my cell phone. No prob.
Old Wednesday, July 16th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

i agree with you completely bob but some people need to notify others ahead of time. especially if it is a direct flight and they want someone to pick them up, lol. i also use skype. it is a wonderful thing and either very very cheap or free depending on your usage of it.

no matter what, that phone should be removed and we need to warn people. for every one that posted you have to assume there were many that didn't. think how much money that thief is making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
We still use the booth at the Alhambra shops. 25 cents a minute. Talk as long as you want. As for making a call at the airport, I cant really see any pressing need. Wait untill the plane lands in the U.S. and use my cell phone. No prob.
Old Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Darryl is on a distinguished road

[quote=sherry;80775] i also use skype. it is a wonderful thing and either very very cheap or free depending on your usage of it.

Skype! An amazing service. For $.02 per minute for calls back to N.J. we get to speak to the children, grandchildren and mother - in - law for minutes on end. It's wonderful! No waiting in line for phone use; no rip off; call from the privacy of your hotel room! Fabulous!!!

Old Monday, July 28th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Peterson is on a distinguished road

This is interesting, but i never heard of skype. Can you provide more info.
Terry
Old Monday, July 28th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Skype is a free, dowloadable program which enables you to utilize the internet to make phone calls. Learn all about it at www.skype.com. I gave them $10.00 to put into my account; used it for about a half hour and still had almost $8.00 left in the account. I think I paid $.02/minute to call the USA from Aruba. It's amazing!!!. You have to have a microphone and head set for it to work best. A cheap investment for a great way to stay in touch!

Old Monday, July 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Aruba Airport Public Phones Scam

I love skype. I use it from home to call friends in Aruba, and use it in Aruba to check in at home. Computer to computer is free. I believe Aruba to the states is 16 cents a minute, and the same from home to Aruba. Like Darryl, I put $10 in my account, and it lasts for a very long time!
Old Monday, July 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
. I believe Aruba to the states is 16 cents a minute, and the same from home to Aruba.
Yes, the service is wonderful. And...it's like talking to someone sitting right next to you. I think the price is/was $.02 per minute to call the USA from Aruba. I see where the Skype site says it is $.16/minute....I'll have to check my account because I'm sure FROM Aruba TO the USA they charged $.02/minute. Could it be that 1. They've increased prices? or...2. Prices are cheaper from Aruba to the USA?????

Old Monday, July 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

One Happy Island Re: Aruba Airport Public Phones Scam

Darryl ~ I've been using skype for a couple years, and my recollection is that it's always been $.16 per minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Yes, the service is wonderful. And...it's like talking to someone sitting right next to you. I think the price is/was $.02 per minute to call the USA from Aruba. I see where the Skype site says it is $.16/minute....I'll have to check my account because I'm sure FROM Aruba TO the USA they charged $.02/minute. Could it be that 1. They've increased prices? or...2. Prices are cheaper from Aruba to the USA?????
Old Saturday, July 3rd, 2010, 07:53 AM

Of course, you could be correct, Elaine. I just visited the Skype pricing site...here it is...take a look. I think I'm right!! Pay as you go - Skype

Darryl

Old Saturday, July 3rd, 2010, 08:54 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

You're right, Darryl.

In February, I video skyped computer to computer with my daughter every night... sometimes, a couple times a night... free! I showed her the Caribbean while she showed me the 4 feet of snow in her driveway!!

Several of my Aruban friends now use Magic Jack, and have a permanent phone number, and love it.

Skype works great for me... I usually keep about $20 in my account, and use it to call the island. I'm not sure how the Magic Jack numbers work, and what, if anything, I'd be charged to call one of them from my landline phone.
Old Saturday, July 3rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Administrator

darryl, calls to aruba are 16.4 cents landline and 23.9 mobile:

Pay as you go - Skype

i seem to remember calling from aruba was much cheaper though and the little i can find shows 2 cents to the states:

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=61074

what this means is you are both right.

don't forget there is a minimal connection charge of a few cents.

Quote:
Of course, you could be correct, Elaine. I just visited the Skype pricing site...here it is...take a look. I think I'm right!! Pay as you go - Skype

Darryl
Old Saturday, July 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM

It is really difficult to find a list of prices for calls TO the USA from other countries. I have written to Skype specifically requesting the rate FROM Aruba to the USA. If they reply before we leave, I'll post their response here.

This is their response to my first request for the rate FROM Aruba TO the USA; it really doesn't help!!! :

"Hello Darryl,

Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service.
We understand your concerns regarding your Skype calls.
To some of the most popular destinations, we have one unified rate, which we call the SkypeOut Global Rate. These destinations are:
Argentina (Buenos Aires), Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Canada (mobiles), Chile, China (Beijing, Guanzhou, Shanghai, Shenzhen), China (mobiles), Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hong Kong (mobiles), Ireland, Italy, Mexico (Mexico City, Monterrey), Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland (Poland, Gdansk, Warsaw), Portugal, Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburg), Singapore, Singapore (mobiles), South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (Taipei), United Kingdom, United States (except Alaska and Hawaii) and United States (mobiles).
Unless it is specifically mentioned, the SkypeOut Global Rate is only for calling regular landline telephones. Calls to mobile phones are more expensive. Please note that 0.017 EUR is approximately the same as 0.021 USD or 0.012 GBP.
All of our rates can be found on our site, simply look up the location you are dialing for the exact per minute charge:
http://www.skype.com/go/rates
Specified to Aruba: (THIS RATE IS TO ARUBA, WHEREAS I REQUESTED THE RATE FROM ARUBA!!!)
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/feature...g-rates/#cc=AW
All of our calls are billed based on their destination. The destination is determined by the PSTN carrier that handles the last portion of the call to the regular number. If you are certain that the number you have called is being incorrectly labeled (i.e. a landline is billed as a mobile) please forward us the complete number you are trying to reach and we will investigate
Please review your Call List to see a list of all calls you have made and their costs"

Pasa bon dia!!

Old Saturday, July 3rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Administrator

darryl, i listed the prices directly from the skype forum to the states and from the skype website from the states. the price from anywhere in the world to the usa is 2.1 cents/minute plus the hookup/vat charge which should keep it down under 4 cents if i recall. i can tell you that murray called his office 5 times and spent 3-5 minutes on the phone each time. we had less than 50 cents spent, lol.

Quote:
It is really difficult to find a list of prices for calls TO the USA from other countries. I have written to Skype specifically requesting the rate FROM Aruba to the USA. If they reply before we leave, I'll post their response here.

This is their response to my first request for the rate FROM Aruba TO the USA; it really doesn't help!!! :

"Hello Darryl,

Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service.
We understand your concerns regarding your Skype calls.
To some of the most popular destinations, we have one unified rate, which we call the SkypeOut Global Rate. These destinations are:
Argentina (Buenos Aires), Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Canada (mobiles), Chile, China (Beijing, Guanzhou, Shanghai, Shenzhen), China (mobiles), Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hong Kong (mobiles), Ireland, Italy, Mexico (Mexico City, Monterrey), Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland (Poland, Gdansk, Warsaw), Portugal, Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburg), Singapore, Singapore (mobiles), South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (Taipei), United Kingdom, United States (except Alaska and Hawaii) and United States (mobiles).
Unless it is specifically mentioned, the SkypeOut Global Rate is only for calling regular landline telephones. Calls to mobile phones are more expensive. Please note that 0.017 EUR is approximately the same as 0.021 USD or 0.012 GBP.
All of our rates can be found on our site, simply look up the location you are dialing for the exact per minute charge:
Pay as you go - Skype
Specified to Aruba: (THIS RATE IS TO ARUBA, WHEREAS I REQUESTED THE RATE FROM ARUBA!!!)
Pay as you go - Skype
All of our calls are billed based on their destination. The destination is determined by the PSTN carrier that handles the last portion of the call to the regular number. If you are certain that the number you have called is being incorrectly labeled (i.e. a landline is billed as a mobile) please forward us the complete number you are trying to reach and we will investigate
Please review your Call List to see a list of all calls you have made and their costs"

Pasa bon dia!!
Old Saturday, July 3rd, 2010, 04:08 PM

THANK YOU, Sherry!!! I knew it wasn't $.16 per minute FROM Aruba TO the USA!!!

Old Saturday, July 3rd, 2010, 04:25 PM

Thumbs up Re: Aruba Airport Public Phones Scam

Not to belabor the point...but it's good for all of us 'Arubaphiles' to know. Just received this reply from SKYPE:

"Hello Darryl, Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service.
We are sorry for your confusion regarding call rates.
Please be informed rates to US destinations are as follows:

United States
1.7 cents
2 cents (inluding VAT)
United States - Alaska
3.8 cents
4.4 cents
United States - Hawaii
1.7 cents
2 cents
United States - Toll Free
0 cents
0 cents

Please note that call rates to Aruba are more expensive:

Aruba
13.3 cent
15.3 cent (including VAT)
Aruba - Mobil
19.4 cent
22.3 cent

Pay as you go - Skype
Should you need more assistance, feel free to contact us again; we will be glad to help.
Regards,

Anikó,
Skype Customer Service"

Old Sunday, July 4th, 2010, 01:37 PM

lmccollom is on a distinguished road

I just used Skype when we were in Aruba at the beginning of June. Those numbers sound right, it is about $.02 per minute to call the US from Aruba. It is really easy to use. I have never done the computer-to-computer camera calls but am hoping to figure that out for our next trip.
Old Sunday, July 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator

no problem. we will be there to teach you. it is wonderful and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmccollom View Post
I just used Skype when we were in Aruba at the beginning of June. Those numbers sound right, it is about $.02 per minute to call the US from Aruba. It is really easy to use. I have never done the computer-to-computer camera calls but am hoping to figure that out for our next trip.
Old Sunday, July 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Something I can finally teach, but I won't be there!! Damn!! arty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
no problem. we will be there to teach you. it is wonderful and easy.