Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Tourist Tales

Tourist Tales What makes you visit? What amazing stories have made you come back?

Old Monday, May 31st, 2010, 08:05 AM

sunscreen is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Seems like a lot more construction is going on...

particularly in the Palm Beach part of the island. We have noticed more new buildings or those being constructed. ACQUA CONDOMINIUMS (next to the surf club) most have received their bailout because construction has finally started or at least you can now see physical buildings. Also, the Palm Beach shopping area HAS REALLY EXPANDED. The trade off perhaps will be a decline in visitors going downtown,as we noticed some businesses were very light.

Moomba's has a new canopy. Not as indigenous as the original but it gets the job done. Throughout parts of the island you can see fresh paints and other improvements.

I know there's always an issue with overcrowding, etc. but, it's nothing like various projects being expanded or completed as the direct effect are workers being able to benefit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, June 1st, 2010, 01:40 PM

divirick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Seems like a lot more construction is going on...

Sad but true, nothing stays the same.
Old Saturday, October 23rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Almost Aruban

ruba4ever is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board mr. aruba.....we're glad you're here. We value any and all opinions here and yours is not alone. However, it would be a little short sighted to blame the so called destruction of the island solely on timeshares. I do believe that lots of changes have occured outside of the timeshares. I would think that malls would add to the demise of the downtown and businesses that were there. I'm sure that your area of the world has had it's share of change in the last 40 years. Everything and everywhere changes..including us...you know...bigger waistlines...less hair...you get the idea. To think that Aruba would stay as it was all those years ago is just so unrealistic. No offense..and believe me there is none intended..because as I said at the beginning...we value any and all opinions...but we can't blame just one thing for the changes that have occured to our paradise. I still love this place..and will support it.
ruba

Old Saturday, October 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM

iamromo is on a distinguished road

I agree, but at the same time I disagree. Change is inevitable, but I do feel they have ruined the island experience by all the building. We have been coming for 12 years and wish they would have not allowed the Ritz to be built. By eliminating the fisherman's huts they have changed Aruba FOREVER. It no longer is a unique island...still a nice island...
Old Saturday, October 23rd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

I will always love my Aruba. I am a diehard and, kind of like a marriage, will support the island through thick and thin. The overbuilding (and final straw the Ritz Blitz) is definitely part of the "thin". Really breaks my heart. But change can go in either direction. I hope that this is the end of the "thin", and that any future changes will lean torward a return to the island charm of the past and preserving what's left. Hmmm, think there's any kind of counseling for this overbuilding problem?

Old Sunday, October 24th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Almost Aruban

I do agree about the Fishermans huts...and I am afraid it has changed things up there that can't be reversed.
Ro...I couldn't have said it better.....I too hope this is the end of the "thin"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamromo View Post
I agree, but at the same time I disagree. Change is inevitable, but I do feel they have ruined the island experience by all the building. We have been coming for 12 years and wish they would have not allowed the Ritz to be built. By eliminating the fisherman's huts they have changed Aruba FOREVER. It no longer is a unique island...still a nice island...

Old Sunday, October 24th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Almost Aruban

We've only been going to the island since 99....so all those places were already there. And when we bought our timeshare, we too were told about the moratorium on building...that the Surf Club would be the last building to go up on the island. Well, we know how that turned out. The Riu and now the Ritz...and other things as well. I guess if I had gone as many years as you, and saw all that change, it would be more heartbreaking to me as well. But all in all....this island destination is still weather friendly..safer than just about anywhere else...people friendly....so I will stand beside her and on her for hopefully many more years to come.... We just have to pray that all the madness of building will wind down and come to a halt very soon.
ruba

Old Sunday, October 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Aruba Expert

Moratorium - talk about a buzz word. I remember coming back the year we bought our timeshare and telling everyone about the moratorium. Wow, did they see us coming with that line. I guess we all got the same story and well all believed it. Regardless, buying was still the best decision we ever made.

Old Sunday, October 24th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Almost Aruban

Mr....that is my hope to someday be a snowbird...lol. And we can usually depend on the weather....not just this year....we had really bad weather this year....but it's all good.....next year will be back to normal....

Old Sunday, October 24th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Seems like a lot more construction is going on...

I think we were all fed that moratorim word!

I love Aruba... and, hope to travel there for many years to come, but I don't love what's happening.

My very first year as a tourist, I was so taken with the charm of the island, and how quaint Oranjestad "was." Because of the new malls, the town's a ghost town... very sad.

Arubans, I'm sure, would rather the old charm... the government's another story.. and, that's even sadder. I really thought the change in parties would make a difference, but it appears to be the same old, same old.
Old Monday, October 25th, 2010, 12:14 PM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road

They, they, they, they. The simple truth to the matter is, it is we who are to blame. ALL of us. If we didn't go to Aruba, there wouldn't be a need for all the rooms and resorts that there are.

Just MHO.

Bobbie
Old Monday, October 25th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Almost Aruban

Good point Bobbie....well said I've said this before in other discussions that we've had here...I know we as tourists are what keeps Aruba going. But do we have the right to try and tell another country what they should or shouldn't do with their country?? I also know that if they do alot of things that we don't agree with, after a while, the tourists will stop coming. Or will they?? I don't think that neccessarily has to be true. I for one...look beyond all the building and try and focus on what I still love about the island. I still see the beautiful sea...and the sand...the wonderful people...friends that we have there...food...and above all relaxation. Does a building on an island really impede your vacation when you lay looking out at the blue water?? with a cool drink in your hand??? and hopefully someone that you care about beside you???? Now before anyone gets in a tizzy...I know that all the buildings (especially the Ritz) are changing the lay of the island....but in the end it is up to the powers that be in Aruba to stop it....we can only hope that they know when enough is enough. I also know that the traffic is worse and the malls are taking business out of Oranjestad (that does make me sad)...but, again, it is not my fault or my responsiblity to try and change it. I have enough things in my own country, and my own backyard for that matter, that need changing. I will now get off the soapbox and return you to your regularly scheduled program....
ruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffdhoff View Post
They, they, they, they. The simple truth to the matter is, it is we who are to blame. ALL of us. If we didn't go to Aruba, there wouldn't be a need for all the rooms and resorts that there are.

Just MHO.

Bobbie

Old Monday, October 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

I Love Aruba Re: Seems like a lot more construction is going on...

It's hard separating our love for the island, and being critical at the same time. And, while I know we're only guests, many of us have a vested interest...

In the particular case of overbuilding, it's my opinion that if demand actually warranted supply, that would be one set of circumstances...but, I don't see that as a cause, and the infrastructure can't handle the traffic as it is!

Every year, I see more and more half finished buildings, and less than half finished buildings sitting there like ghosts, and unsightly. Condos are being built... but, for who? Who's buying? Again, a supply without a demand.

Funny, I don't see the over building on Aruba being "our" fault...there was plenty of room for everyone. I see it just as I see things right here in the
US - done for one reason - greed. And, just like here at home, "we the people" have no voice. We vote, elect whomever we think will do the best job, a fair job... and, in no time, it's business as usual, and same old, same old.

This past February I went up to the high rise area, and felt like I was at Times Square... We couldn't wait to leave the area, and didn't go again. We then rode through town where there was barely a soul. I think priorities are screwed up, and screwed up badly.. I'm hoping the revamping of Oranjestad will become a reality so that once again that little town will be as charming as it was "back in the day."
Old Monday, October 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Almost Aruban

All excellent points Elaine...and that is why I love this board...we all feel free to voice our opinions and I for one learn things about Aruba and myself that I didn't know before. Seeing your point of view gives me something more to think about. We all have our thoughts about the place we love...and I for one am very, very protective of her. And you're right, we all do have a vested interest. But just like here....and just like you said...even though we vote...we don't have much to say about anything that happens in our government once the votes are counted and the candidates take their places in office. Thank you for your thoughts my friends.....
ruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
It's hard separating our love for the island, and being critical at the same time. And, while I know we're only guests, many of us have a vested interest...

In the particular case of overbuilding, it's my opinion that if demand actually warranted supply, that would be one set of circumstances...but, I don't see that as a cause, and the infrastructure can't handle the traffic as it is!

Every year, I see more and more half finished buildings, and less than half finished buildings sitting there like ghosts, and unsightly. Condos are being built... but, for who? Who's buying? Again, a supply without a demand.

Funny, I don't see the over building on Aruba being "our" fault...there was plenty of room for everyone. I see it just as I see things right here in the
US - done for one reason - greed. And, just like here at home, "we the people" have no voice. We vote, elect whomever we think will do the best job, a fair job... and, in no time, it's business as usual, and same old, same old.

This past February I went up to the high rise area, and felt like I was at Times Square... We couldn't wait to leave the area, and didn't go again. We then rode through town where there was barely a soul. I think priorities are screwed up, and screwed up badly.. I'm hoping the revamping of Oranjestad will become a reality so that once again that little town will be as charming as it was "back in the day."

Old Monday, October 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Aruba Expert

You're right, it is hard to separate our love for Aruba and our regret for some of the changes happening there. On the one hand, I'm worried about all the environmental impacts, loss of wind, etc. I would certainly prefer that the building come to an end. But if I have to turn a blind eye to the overbuilding, I guess I can. As a matter of fact, I guess I have to. And I have no problem just looking out at the wide open sea and the fabulous sunsets. I don't have to look at all the overbuilding. Matter of fact I only have to see it on my way to somewhere else as I certainly don't have it in my immediate view. But I would rather go anywhere on the island with my eyes WIDE open and love everything I see. Does it take away my love for this place we call paradise? No way. I will ALWAYS love Aruba. Something that doesn't change are the people - we'll always have that and it's also another reason I go back every year.

Ultimately, I have no say what they build, where they build, or how much they build - but I can't take any blame for it either. Like Elaine said, it's not about supply and demand. It could be what the Aruban government wants to call progress, but let's face it, seems more like it's the lure of the almighty buck (or florin). Here in America, we say love it or leave it. For Aruba, maybe it's love it or don't come back. I for one am going back. In the end, it's Aruba's decision and we are all just along for the ride. And that's just my MHO.

Old Monday, October 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Aruba Expert

By the way Ruba, you are right. Focus on the good, not the bad. And also that we have plenty of improvements to make right in our own backyard. All well put. Meant to add that to my last post.

Old Monday, October 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruba4ever View Post
Mr....that is my hope to someday be a snowbird...lol. And we can usually depend on the weather....not just this year....we had really bad weather this year....but it's all good.....next year will be back to normal....
Bad weather? In Aruba or back home?
Old Monday, October 25th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Aruba Expert

Yeah, very strange. Aruba had 2 weeks of rain (maybe more?), and a lot of it torrential. Flooded streets, closed roads, etc. Check out the Trip Report section. Ruba has her trip report in there - poor thing had mostly rain the entire time, but still managed to stay upbeat, at least for most of the time.

Old Monday, October 25th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

I Love Aruba Re: Seems like a lot more construction is going on...

Without a doubt, all the wonderful things about Aruba far outweigh the not so wonderful things..

The magnificent sea hasn't changed; it's the bluest green, and hypnotizing. The sunsets; still, after all these years, captivate me. The Aruban people haven't changed; they're the most fantastic of hosts, the warmest and most caring people by far! The weather; a little quirky every now and then. Even us... we change while on island. When we say good morning or good evening, we REALLY mean it, and aren't just being polite! Man, we're into life... and the appreciation of it.

Construction/overbuilding, and our love for the island, in my opinion, are two totally different issues. Do we love it any less? Nah... Does it impact our vacation? Traffic is certainly an issue getting from point A to point B in the evenings, and parking can be a nightmare, depending on where you choose to go.

Even with all the "not so wonderful," I love that little island of paradise, that little piece of heaven on earth where I always find a peace that I find nowhere else, and never tire of..

Look out mi dushi Aruba, I will be back again and again and again!! You can't get rid of me!!
Old Sunday, February 13th, 2011, 09:48 PM

The yearly fee plus what you paid divided by 20 or 30 years of use is a heck of alot cheaper than $500 a night in a hotel. (Marriott charges $6,000 for the week) Ours has a full kitchen and laundry. We save a ton of money on food which then gives us extra money for great dinners out each night...The only hassle is the process it takes to secure the week you want.