Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > About the Visit Aruba Forums > Rules & Regulations

Rules & Regulations New to the forum. This is the place to learn.

Old Thursday, February 12th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default a new note to those renting units

recently we had what i consider a thief on our board. this person was finding prime timeshare rentals on timeshare forums and offering them, as if they were their own property, for rent on ours and possibly other aruba forums. today this person was caught in her lie when she tried to rent a timeshare to other people and the owner found out. what makes it worse is that this person didn't even hold claim in any way to that property. this person had not even rented it yet. that implies that this person possibly would have taken an unwary renter's money and never delivered the property. we had no way of knowing that this person was doing it until i received an email from the actual owner.

this problem has made us aware that others can be doing the same thing. this person has also made it a little tougher for anyone else multiple listing timeshare rentals with us. so i will warn you in advance that if you post many different timeshare rental weeks with our forum, be prepared to send me proof of ownership if i ask for it. if you don't own it, and are renting it, you are either a commercial realtor or a scam artist. neither is accepted on this board. if we find you are doing it we will ban you, announce it on the forum, and make sure that other forums are aware of you. what you do is unethical at the least and will not be tolerated.

Last edited by dwippies; Friday, February 13th, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, February 13th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: a new note to those renting units

I just wanted to add that as a LaCabana owner, I always send the renter the confirmation number given to me by LaCabana so that the renter can contact them for proof of ownership.

Old Friday, February 13th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Administrator

thank you princess. that is a wonderful point. this is something that we all need to learn to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
I just wanted to add that as a LaCabana owner, I always send the renter the confirmation number given to me by LaCabana so that the renter can contact them for proof of ownership.
Old Friday, February 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM

kthy66 is on a distinguished road

Wow.. it is amazing what lengths people will go to scam others!
Old Friday, February 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator

It has come to our attention that a person using the alias pamw, having the email address pawfosters@twcny.rr.com has been soliciting rentals for timeshare units from various timeshare resorts, on several Aruba Forums including ours. When a case like this is brought to our attention, we do intervene, and aggressively at that. This scam was brought to our attention by an owner who noticed that their unit was being offered for rent, while the owner knew nothing about it. We have also proactively contacted another owner whose unit was posted for rent by the person with email address pawfosters@twcny.rr.com and they also confirmed that this was not legitimate. It appears that the perpetrator has been looking at various sites that have timeshare properties listed for rent, including timeshare resort property sites and other online timeshare aggregators to see what units are for rent, and then pretend to be the owner of the unit to offer the unit for rent on popular Aruba forums and possibly through other channels we are not aware of (e.g. classified ads). We have immediately banned the person from our website and are taking steps to provide all information we have to the owners who we have been in contact with along with all timeshares so that they can take appropriate action against this person.

Please understand that we will do this with any other person we find scamming tourists. It can not and will not be tolerated.
Old Friday, February 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

The way to get at a guy like this is to buy him a huge golden keyboard that has all the bells and whistles and give him a list of 300 potential customers and then cut his fingers off.

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
It has come to our attention that a person using the alias pamw, having the email address pawfosters@twcny.rr.com has been soliciting rentals for timeshare units from various timeshare resorts, on several Aruba Forums including ours. When a case like this is brought to our attention, we do intervene, and aggressively at that. This scam was brought to our attention by an owner who noticed that their unit was being offered for rent, while the owner knew nothing about it. We have also proactively contacted another owner whose unit was posted for rent by the person with email address pawfosters@twcny.rr.com and they also confirmed that this was not legitimate. It appears that the perpetrator has been looking at various sites that have timeshare properties listed for rent, including timeshare resort property sites and other online timeshare aggregators to see what units are for rent, and then pretend to be the owner of the unit to offer the unit for rent on popular Aruba forums and possibly through other channels we are not aware of (e.g. classified ads). We have immediately banned the person from our website and are taking steps to provide all information we have to the owners who we have been in contact with along with all timeshares so that they can take appropriate action against this person.

Please understand that we will do this with any other person we find scamming tourists. It can not and will not be tolerated.
Old Friday, February 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Administrator

hahahaha... i love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes View Post
The way to get at a guy like this is to buy him a huge golden keyboard that has all the bells and whistles and give him a list of 300 potential customers and then cut his fingers off.

be well
charles
Old Friday, February 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM

kmdionne is on a distinguished road

Sherry, You should think about reporting it to a few of the internet scam and fraud reporting sites such as fbi.gov and consumer fraud reporting. It's a shame that a few bad eggs always ruin it for others. Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention.
Old Friday, February 13th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator

what a great idea. i will discuss it with the office and volunteer them to get the info needed.

i can always depend on all of you to help with wonderful ideas.

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdionne View Post
Sherry, You should think about reporting it to a few of the internet scam and fraud reporting sites such as fbi.gov and consumer fraud reporting. It's a shame that a few bad eggs always ruin it for others. Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention.
Old Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

LOB the fingers !!!!!!!

That said, - for every con-man, there is a sucker. Don't be one
c

Quote:
Old Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Excellent idea!

Old Tuesday, February 17th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Linda A is on a distinguished road

Here's another version of a scam that the webmaster had posted on the CDM bulletin board last summer:

One of our members has reported what appears to be a variation on a scam widely used on sites where users buy & sell items.

You offer your timeshare for sale or rent and get a response from an interested party. The party agrees to send a payment to you but makes a "mistake", sending a check for more than the agreed amount.

They then notify you that it is ok to deposit the check and send them a check back for the overpayment.

A week or so later your bank notifies you the original check is no good but you have already sent the "change" back to them.

You will never hear from them again and you have made their day.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 08:01 PM

fluffs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
Excellent idea!
Another beware is the real estate or rental agent you do business with. Beware of ABLE REALTY in Aruba. We did business with him. His name is Tony Lejuez. We rented a place for 3 months and other people had rented for a month He kept all the owner's rents. We gave him a deposit but fortunetly for us the owners returned that to us. They have filed charges against him with the Aruba police. They got a lawyer in Aruba but chances of them getting any of their money doesn't look good.
Old Friday, December 11th, 2009, 07:20 AM

Intolerantbobj is on a distinguished road
Question Re: a new note to those renting units

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
recently we had what i consider a thief on our board. this person was finding prime timeshare rentals on timeshare forums and offering them, as if they were their own property, for rent on ours and possibly other aruba forums. .

Hello Sherry,

I have P B V week(s) I'd like to rent and worry of scam mentioned above. I have posted this rental on Multiply but would like to reach a little further then just the P B V choir.
To ' CYA ', I think P B V should begin asking for the ' Contract ' numbers prior to issuing a ' Confirmation '.
I have never needed to provide those numbers before but maybe it's time to start.

Having been a victim of the ' John + Irwin ' scam, you can't take enough precaution ... on that note, I'm still waiting for the ' P B V Stockholder ' scam to show its first dividend ... do you think I should stop holding my breath ?

I don't see the ' Rentals ' button on the Forum list ... where shall I post it ?

Weeks 9, 10 + 11 - P B V - 2 bdrm., poolside, Sat. to Sat. ( week 12 is taken)

Thank You,

Bob J
Old Friday, December 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator

hi bob,

the place to post is Aruba Timeshare for Rent - Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba

we are hoping to revamp the rentals so they are directly in the specific timeshare forum by the end of the year but no promises since at holiday time we are always short staffed at the office.

you are exactly right about each timeshare confirming by asking contract numbers. you also can 'cya' by contacting the timeshare itself to verify that the person you are talking to is actually the owner. if you use phone contact before the rental, google the phone number. there are many ways to protect yourself. we just still all tend to believe in the tooth fairy and santa claus.

also, never post your email. do your rental via private messages on whatever forum you find a renter until you are far enough into the process to trust them with your private information. i am now up to a dozen or more friends who have been hacked thru simple mistakes that none of us would think of.

good luck on your rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intolerantbobj View Post
Hello Sherry,

I have P B V week(s) I'd like to rent and worry of scam mentioned above. I have posted this rental on Multiply but would like to reach a little further then just the P B V choir.
To ' CYA ', I think P B V should begin asking for the ' Contract ' numbers prior to issuing a ' Confirmation '.
I have never needed to provide those numbers before but maybe it's time to start.

Having been a victim of the ' John + Irwin ' scam, you can't take enough precaution ... on that note, I'm still waiting for the ' P B V Stockholder ' scam to show its first dividend ... do you think I should stop holding my breath ?

I don't see the ' Rentals ' button on the Forum list ... where shall I post it ?

Weeks 9, 10 + 11 - P B V - 2 bdrm., poolside, Sat. to Sat. ( week 12 is taken)

Thank You,

Bob J
Old Friday, December 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Thank You Sherry ... just posted my weeks w/P M request as you mentioned .. good idea !

You own/stay at P B V also ?
Old Friday, December 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator

no i own at costa linda but i thing PBV is totally lovely, quiet and peaceful. it's my kind of place and if the days matched with costa linda's (friday to friday) i'd be tempted to rent my extra weeks there.

Quote:
Thank You Sherry ... just posted my weeks w/P M request as you mentioned .. good idea !

You own/stay at P B V also ?
Old Sunday, January 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM

rocheles is on a distinguished road

I AGREE WITH THE FINGER BIT. CUT THEM OFF.

I own a few weeks at the Renn and at LaQuinta.
So far so good. I usualy take half and as soon
as I receive the confirmation in their name I ask
for the second half before I forward them the
confirmation. I do not send it unless I receive
the cashiers check. If they don't want to work
it this way, that's ok too. They can always rent
from someone else. These renters deserve the
confirmation from the resort in their names.
Rae
Old Tuesday, January 5th, 2010, 01:13 PM

One Happy Island Re: a new note to those renting units

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocheles View Post
I AGREE WITH THE FINGER BIT. CUT THEM OFF.

I own a few weeks at the Renn and at LaQuinta.
So far so good. I usualy take half and as soon
as I receive the confirmation in their name I ask
for the second half before I forward them the
confirmation. I do not send it unless I receive
the cashiers check. If they don't want to work
it this way, that's ok too. They can always rent
from someone else. These renters deserve the
confirmation from the resort in their names.
Rae

Hello R,

Until this year we've rented to only friends or folks recommended by friends, and they usually just send me a check and I then forward the confirmation.
I did rent one week this year to a fellow whom I have never met, but everything has gone well and I hope he and his family enjoy the extra time they'll have at sunny Aruba. I did the same for him and he seemed pleased.

I was telling Dennis ( this site I believe ? ) about some Aruba Newspapers that I have saved .. mid + late 1970's ... I'm going to get the ' Puter Genius ' ( my youngest son ) to scan some of the photo's and stories and I'll post them here if it's okay ... talk about changes, wow !

Long before P B V or the Mega Joint beside us or Costa I told Aruban friends .. ' slam the brakes on this or you won't own your island any longer ' .. and now, well they no longer own their island .. their home.

I think back to the ' people ' I encountered when Aruba was a ' cute , quiet, crime-free, little island ' .. do I miss those friendly, outgoing people ... I wish they had taken the Bull-by-the-Horns, and I think they wish they had too.
Old Tuesday, January 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Administrator

bob, we would love to see those articles.

i agree, although my time there didn't start until 1989, that things have changed and tourism has affected the people as much negatively as it has positively. but i suppose that is true anywhere that needs a future because their past or present isn't operating up to par. survival is not always pretty, is it? just look back at our own cities in those same days and compare to now. it's enough to make you cry.

Quote:
Hello R,

Until this year we've rented to only friends or folks recommended by friends, and they usually just send me a check and I then forward the confirmation.
I did rent one week this year to a fellow whom I have never met, but everything has gone well and I hope he and his family enjoy the extra time they'll have at sunny Aruba. I did the same for him and he seemed pleased.

I was telling Dennis ( this site I believe ? ) about some Aruba Newspapers that I have saved .. mid + late 1970's ... I'm going to get the ' Puter Genius ' ( my youngest son ) to scan some of the photo's and stories and I'll post them here if it's okay ... talk about changes, wow !

Long before P B V or the Mega Joint beside us or Costa I told Aruban friends .. ' slam the brakes on this or you won't own your island any longer ' .. and now, well they no longer own their island .. their home.

I think back to the ' people ' I encountered when Aruba was a ' cute , quiet, crime-free, little island ' .. do I miss those friendly, outgoing people ... I wish they had taken the Bull-by-the-Horns, and I think they wish they had too.