Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Where have you been?

Where have you been? Trip reports and questions about places you travel when not visiting Aruba.

Old Wednesday, April 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default repeaters?

obviously, for most of the members of this forum, aruba is the place for us.

where have you been besides aruba that you would go back to 'in a heartbeat'? what were the spots that were your favorites?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, April 1st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Default Re: repeaters?

I loved Naples, Florida so much that I wouldn't mind retiring there some day if ever I get the courage to pick up and leave my roots. The pace is slow, beaches are very nice, and the weather's usually lovely. I also spent a week in a friend's home on Marco Island in a gated community. Wow... the house is gorgeous, and just steps from the beach. It certainly gave me a chance to see how the "other half" lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
obviously, for most of the members of this forum, aruba is the place for us.

where have you been besides aruba that you would go back to 'in a heartbeat'? what were the spots that were your favorites?
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 12:03 AM

TomR is on a distinguished road

I have never been to Naples, but did spend a great week in Marco Island. We exchanged into the Charter Club and it was one of the best exchanges we ever made. Nothing real fancy about the timeshare, but it was right on the beach and the view from the balcony was fabulous. I remember sitting there in the morning watching the dolphins swim going to our left. In late afternoon, I watched them swim going to our right. It was almost like clockwork. The beach was fine, the weather was beautiful, the restaurants were good, but it is the dolphin parades that I remember the most. A few years later, we confirmed another exchange to the Charter Club only to have the exchange wiped out by one of the hurricanes that hit the Gulf Coast. The timeshare was closed for several months, and we never returned. I wouldn't mind giving it another go in a year or two.
Tom
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Aruba Expert

ArubaAmy is on a distinguished road

As far as other beach destinations, we go to Siesta Key (gulf side near Sarasota) and South Beach (Miami) alot. Siesta Key is laid back and quiet with sand that is like sugar. South Beach is walkable (no rental car needed) with great restaurants and that "city energy" that we love...but right on the beach.

As far as other destinations....we love, love, love Europe (Paris and the Netherlands being our favorites).

Also spent some time in the Calif. wine country (Napa and Sonoma) last summer and fell in love with the area. It's definitely on our list to go back to.

Another favorite....Sedona, AZ - absolutely gorgeous!

26th trip to Aruba: April 2012
27th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2012
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

I wish that political/social realities in Venezuela were different because it is an amazing country. Angel Falls is the single most impressive thing I have ever seen.

I have a real soft spot for Costa Rica, as well.
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

It has been many years now but I've been to Hawaii 6 times and would go back in a heart-beat IF on the way over and back I could spend a night in Calif. to break up the LONG plane ride. Maui is a beautiful island although I loved Oahu for all it's touristy things. Even during busy seasons in Aruba, never like Oahu year round. Now that I'm older I'll stick with Aruba where I find peace and tranquility.
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Aruba Expert

Ron B is on a distinguished road

That is a good question and right off the top of my head Amesterdam and not just for one of the most well known reasons either but I will say I do love the Euro style. It is just that it is so much like NY but with that European Panache. Now when I say like NY it means just all the people you meet from all over the world so Cosmopolitan. And for the most part we all just hung out telling stories having some drinks and jamming to music .

Copenhaven Denmark where I have been 3 times is another great City. I just had so much fun espacally during there annual Jazz festival and cruising the Fijords going into the Dannish countryside and seeing Castles and ancient Burial mounds built by people over a 1000 years ago So cool .Checking out the Viking museum and seeing some of the ancient ships. The people were just so cool at the clubs I went to dance and groove to the music Places like this just make you relax and take it all in.

There are other places but those 2 were where I had the most fun. besides Aruba and I would go back to both places in a heartbeat.

Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road

I have a wishlist of places I'd love to go someday...

Switzerland
Spain
Tahiti
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

For a beach vacation, Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. Iberostar is a European resort, with great food, drinks, gorgeous beach, so nice people and less obnoxious Americans.

In general, Paris. I literally took my breath away!

Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 05:23 PM

crosby is on a distinguished road

We took a riverboat cruise through the Netherlands at tulip time. I'd take another riverboat cruise maybe from Amsterdam to Vienna. All tours were included in the price of the cruise. There are many companies that do this. My friends were so impressed with our description, they've been on three or four.
crosby
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 07:19 PM

Sunny Beaches is on a distinguished road

Amy - Yes to Sedona! It's absolutely magical - the red rocks, blue sky, just the vibe of the whole area. We love it and luckily, we're only an hour south so it's not too difficult to go back when we can.

Elaine - Tahiti and her islands have to be one of the most beautiful places on earth (next to Aruba, that is ). We've been blessed to go there twice, first on our honeymoon and again on our 20th anniversary. The French Polynesian people are as friendly as Arubans, the water so many shades of blue, beautiful beaches, lush, deep green mountains, great snorkeling with all those pretty fishies. We'd definitely go there again in a heartbeat!!
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM

EHampite is on a distinguished road

Have made 3 trips to Italy and love it just as much each time! Venice, Florence and Sorrento are probably my 3 favorite places there.

Also would return to the Greek Islands - particularly Santorini and Mykonos. Made one trip there and have not yet made it back. It's about a 10-hour flight which was fine when I was younger! But I much prefer shorter flights these days!
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaAmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHampite View Post
Have made 3 trips to Italy and love it just as much each time! Venice, Florence and Sorrento are probably my 3 favorite places there.
I went to, what seemed like, almost every city in Italy and those are my 3 favorite cities, too, along with Capri (Sorrento is my favorite.) Only reason I left it off the list was because I traveled there before I met my husband so for some reason it seems like it doesn't count. My hubby has never been to Italy at all so we definitely have plans to go...and I'm sure it will be a completely different (even better!) trip with him by my side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Beaches View Post
Amy - Yes to Sedona! It's absolutely magical - the red rocks, blue sky, just the vibe of the whole area. We love it and luckily, we're only an hour south so it's not too difficult to go back when we can.
You're lucky you live so close! Sedona does have a magical aura to it - we love it there!

26th trip to Aruba: April 2012
27th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2012
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM

EHampite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaAmy View Post
I went to, what seemed like, almost every city in Italy and those are my 3 favorite cities, too, along with Capri (Sorrento is my favorite.) Only reason I left it off the list was because I traveled there before I met my husband so for some reason it seems like it doesn't count. My hubby has never been to Italy at all so we definitely have plans to go...and I'm sure it will be a completely different (even better!) trip with him by my side!
Ah yes, Capri. I loved it there, too - the ride up the funicular and the boat trip to the Blue Grotto...Fabulous! Funny, my first two trips were before I met my husband, too. My third trip was in 2000 and I took my son (13 at the time) with a group of kids. Hubby wasn't interested in that kind of trip, but we had a blast! Would go again in a heartbeat!
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: repeaters?

I've been to Kauie 8 times, Mauie and Honolula once, Puna Cana once, Bahamas twice, Cancun twice, Cayman Island 9 times Bonaire once Ft. Myers Beach probably 40 times All over Florida many times, Hilton Head Island 15 times and Aruba 16 times. I'll take Aruba over any of them. Then Bonaire and then Ft. Myers Beach.

29th trip Nov 4th for 5 months!!
Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
www.arubabobsnorkeling.com
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Oh, yes Capri and Sorrento too! Beautiful!

Old Sunday, April 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: repeaters?

Of all the cities I've visited, Paris is by far, my favorite. I've been there 3 times and would definately go back again. It's a beautiful city with great landmarks and history. Plus, I love to shop.
I would also go back to Munich. I've been there a couple of times too, but I would only go back for Octoberfest. Two years ago, our last day in Germany was in Munich. We got to see the Octoberfest parade and were able to go to the fairgrounds for a couple of hours. I would definately do that again.
Dresden is a beautiful city that is still being restored from WWII. It sat in a pile of rubble for 50 years until reunification. It is rich in history with much to see and do.
We did a bicycle tour in the Canadian Rockies some years ago. The scenery was breathtaking. Would definately like to return there. Where ever we looked, there was a picture ready for a post card.

Bobbie
Old Monday, May 25th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road

I like Venice, FL. Haven't been there for a few years but loved the small town center and looking for shark teeth on the beach.

I also like San Diego.

We have not found any other Caribbean or Mexican cities that we like as much as Aruba. Did stop on a cruise ship to Huatulco, MX and would love to go and stay there before it gets too commercialized, but would have to take 3 separate planes and flights are high. Some day hopefully I will go back.

Old Monday, May 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Arubaweek6 is on a distinguished road

We're real beach people, so there haven't been too many beaches we've been to that we didn't like.
We just spent Easter at Couples Swept Away in Negril-seven mile beach is just beautiful.
Some of the others mentioned were great vacations also:Siesta Key-going back there next month, Marco Island, Punta Cana and St John were some of our favorites.
Old Monday, May 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Along with my month of February in Aruba, I recently returned from ten days in Naples, Florida. Naples is so beautiful. I get on my bike every morning and spend an hour or so looking at the homes of the rich and famous. I love Naples and all it has to offer----the restaurants, the stores, the general ambience-----my second favorite place to be in the world. I have been the guest of friends who have a villa in West Naples, three blocks from the ocean. Sitting on the lanai in the evening overlooking the high-rises and the sunset reminds me of being in Aruba. Well, it is second best to Aruba!!!!
Old Monday, May 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Great thread, Sherry---I am taking notes!!!!! Elaine mentioned a wish list---on my wish list is 1) Ireland and England (forebears) 2) Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I had the good fortune of spending a month in Oahu, Hawaii about ten years ago. I took many side trips----Maui, Kawaii, the big island of Hawaii-----although I was based in Oahu I much preferred the other islands. Funny thing----I traveled with my 80 year old mother and we were guests of her 75 year old cousin who had lived in Oahu for 70 years. First thing she told us-----"I never turn on the air conditioner." It was the hottest July ever----and I had to remind my mother several times, "We are Babs' guests. If she says, no a.c.----then that's how we will live!" c'est la vie