Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba Restaurant Questions

Aruba Restaurant Questions Questions about restaurants. For restaurant reviews please click here.

View Poll Results: the restaurant service charge poll
we do not like the service charge 26 46.43%
we do not mind the service charge 4 7.14%
we add a tip to the service charge for excellent service 25 44.64%
we never add a tip to the service charge 10 17.86%
we would tip more without the service charge 21 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Monday, March 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default the restaurant service charge poll

i have been having discussions with several restaurants about the 15% service charge that many of them use. they have expressed their reasons for it and asked that i request opinions from tourists.

i know of at least two restaurants that return the 15% directly to servers to be split as tips. i know of at least 2 restaurants that take most of the money for themselves and give a small portion to the servers.

i also know that most restaurants pay the servers as we do in the states with a very bare hourly wage plus tips. i actually only know of one, although there may be more, that pays minimum wage to their servers.

they all value your opinions. i don't know if this will change anything or if we want to change anything but they do want to know your thoughts. so please comment on this subject and reply to the poll.

i will hide names on this poll because i want people not to feel pressured to answer 'gently'.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old Monday, March 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

could we possibly get people to explain viewpoints here so the owners know why we each feel the way we do?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old Monday, March 2nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
lmccollom's Avatar
lmccollom lmccollom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 21st, 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 143
lmccollom is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: the restaurant service charge poll

I think that the amount of the tip should be left to the customer. I understand the point about the service charge, especially with large groups, but if the point is to compensate based upon the service provided, then that should be at the customer's discretion. With the service charge added, I think that most people are not inclined to add to that amount, whereas I would assume that the servers earn larger tips without the service charge. Also, if you tip the server directly, there is a much better chance of the money getting to the server.

This opinion comes from having spent many years as a server in college, and from having a spouse who worked as a server for about eight years and who is still in the service industry (though not serving, thank God). Places that add on a mandatory service charge to every ticket, not just parties of eight or more, are notorious for keeping a larger portion than the servers get, and (in my humble opinion), the owners should get their profit from the food and the alcohol, and not from the service.

Also, from the server's perspective, most customers are willing to tip a minimum of 15%, so by making the service charge mandatory, you are only insuring a minimum tip. Plus, every time I tip someone after eating out, I always remind myself that person is - at a minimum - trying to support himself/herself, and often a family as well, and that extra $2, $3, $5, or $10 means a whole lot more to him/her than it does to me, especially after a good meal.

This is just my two cents' worth, which may or may not actually be worth two cents.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009, 02:06 AM
JanetB's Avatar
JanetB JanetB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 5th, 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 136
JanetB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Sorry - voted but didn't comment earlier. I think the service charge is confusing for a number of reasons, which you stated above - the first being that what it covers and who it goes to varies from restaurant to restaurant.

If don't know how much is going to the server vs the restaurant, you're going to assume it's going to the server and only leave an additional tip if the service was above & beyond.

If the restaurant is adding it as an additional fee and not giving it to the servers as a tip, then why don't they just raise their prices? Otherwise, their servers are really getting short-changed and I would think it will become increasingly difficult for them to retain good employees.

I don't necessarily mind the service charge - I think it just needs to be clear what it is covering up front - so I know if the meal I am ordering is really priced 15% above what the menu states (which might p*** me off - as I stated - just raise your prices and get over it) or is it actually going to the servers. And if it is covering anything else (such as breakage, etc., then I think they just need to realize at some point there is a cost to doing business and they need to just deal with it).
__________________
Visit my website www.janetsreef.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Cooks Restaurant's Avatar
Cooks Restaurant Cooks Restaurant is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: June 29th, 2007
Posts: 267
Cooks Restaurant is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Before I was not going to post regarding the service charge on any forum looking at the fact that on some other forum it appears at times that no matter what you say is not good enough for certain people. Therefore, especially with this subject you will never satisfy everyone. But if everyone can put their constructive criticism together we all can get to a solution to this issue of which we can approach all other restaurants with without being harsh, derogatory or maybe in a manner of provoking one another.

I do have a restaurant and this is the way we do the service charge:

I'm not going to talk about the way other restaurants do it, because I know there are quite a few who do abuse the use of the service charge.

1. We do charge the 15% service charge on the bill which is divided among the staff. If for any reason the client feels they did not get a good service we will take off the service charge.

2. For us, the service charge is the tip. When you tip someone is because they gave you a good service.

3. Since at the majority of restaurants all wait staff put their tips in a box and then they divide it among themselves (Kitchen staff, bar tenders, waite staff, etc), it became the habbit of some where they get a colleage who was not trustworthy or in general they didn't trust eachother for whatever reason. Since they don't have an automated system between themselves, we make use of our computerized system to hold their tips, in this case the service charge, for them.

4. Draw back to this is that, since we have it inserted in the system I have to pay taxes to the government for it. Furthermore, if the client pays with a credit card, the credit card company charges us between 3 to 5% on it as well. So then I am in the hole. Therefore the restaurant do keep a certain percentage equal to its cost to holding the money for the staff.

Furthermore, I know that some restaurants do pay well below a full salary to their employees and those restaurants also charge the 15% service charge. We on the other hand pay our employees full salary where they make extra on the service charge collected provided they give our customers the good service they deserve.

I would greatly appreciate any constructive suggestions or opinions.

Thank you.
Ommi Henriquez
Cooks Restaurant
__________________
Visit us at www.cooksrestaurant.com or e-mail us at cooksrestaurant@live.com.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old Monday, March 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM
luraln luraln is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 4th, 2009
Posts: 5
luraln is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

The service charge is inconsistent among the hotels and restaurants so it is important to pay attention. We often tipped on the total bill.

Recently we were told that the service charge is not a tip, rather it is gathered to pay employees. According to a manager in one of the high rises , the service charge pays for health insurance costs and taxes etc. and the employees are actually working for very little money. Eg, 600.00 dollar check every two weeks.
The manager said that the tips above the service charge is given directly to the service provider and that they are grateful for any amount. ( we usually add a five percent increase to make the total about a 20% average amount)
He (the manager) does not like the service charge because it does not encourage excellent service. Employees are not motivated to provide excellent service because they are not working for tips per say.

He says service is better in hotels like the Marriott because the service providers are working directly for tips and this hotel does not add a service charge. So, it is a bit confusing, but I do agree that some hotels provide more enthusiastic prompt service, and some consistently do not.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old Monday, March 9th, 2009, 06:23 PM
ArubaMary's Avatar
ArubaMary ArubaMary is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 7th, 2006
Posts: 879
ArubaMary is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Perhaps it is just me---but after some 50 visits to Aruba in 25 years I understand that the service charge is split many ways. I believe in always give extra to go to the person who waits on my table. I vary between 15 and 20 per cent over and above the service charge.
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old Monday, March 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
ArubaMary's Avatar
ArubaMary ArubaMary is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 7th, 2006
Posts: 879
ArubaMary is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Dear Ommie,
Thank you for the explanation. It gives added credence to my belief of giving 15-20 % over and above the service charge.
On another note-----thank you for our wonderful evening at Cook's the night I was with Elaine and Bobbie. I have, and will continue to, recommend it to my friends who visit Aruba in April, July, August and November. I thoroughly enjoyed my drinks and meal. Cooks is one of my favorite restaurants, and you are the ultimate of hosts.
Mary
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old Tuesday, March 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM
oldwindsurfer oldwindsurfer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 24th, 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1
oldwindsurfer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

anyone care to list the restaraunts that automatically add a service charge.

Last night we walked around to different places and checked out the menus before eating. it seems like the fancier places add the SC.

we ended up at Gianni's in the high rise area. they add a SC. the matridee also explained upfront how it was split. 50/50 between wait staff and restaraunt.

i'd rather patronize the places that do not add the SC and feel sure that my tip actually goes to the servers and not the owners of the restaraunt.

if the owners feel they need to add a SC to cover health and welfare issues, then raise the prices.

Tips should be left up to the patrons. personally, i tip in the 20% range unless the service sucked.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old Wednesday, March 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Cooks Restaurant's Avatar
Cooks Restaurant Cooks Restaurant is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: June 29th, 2007
Posts: 267
Cooks Restaurant is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Please don't get me wrong, but I also want to get a solution to this problem.

In our case it was the servers themselves who proposed to put the service charge in place. We as a restaurant were not too much for it. The reasons they gave us were the following:

1. They do not have a computerized or automated system to control the tipping for them, because they put all their tips in a box and then will divide it among themselves at the end of the night.

2. There were instances where servers would take all the tip and do not split it the others who helped the server with his service. For example, the busser, bar tender, kitchen staff, etc.

3. Since this practice was common from their experience working at other restaurants as well they grew a lack of trust among themselves. Furthermore, who can guaranty that the busser, bartender, kitchen staff or anyone else who helped the server in getting that tip, that he or she is getting his or her fair share of the tip?

This is where they proposed it themselves. For my part we can leave it out because they are being paid full salaries, but then we will have to deal with quarrels all the time between staff members. For those other restaurants who do not pay their wait staff full salaries I can not speak for them. They may have their reasons.

Draw back is that we as a restaurant have to pay the government the taxes involved in charging the service charge. That we do and we only take out what we have to pay the government for. So, with the service charge our restaurant does not make any profit. Everything else after tax goes completely to the staff. We only help the staff manage their tips. Since we do have a Micros Restaurant system for our restaurant, why not make use of it and help the staff with their tips. In the case the client is not satisfied they will not charge the service charge.

I would appreciate any other suggestion in dealing with this.
__________________
Visit us at www.cooksrestaurant.com or e-mail us at cooksrestaurant@live.com.

Last edited by Cooks Restaurant; Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #11  
Old Wednesday, March 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM
ArubaMary's Avatar
ArubaMary ArubaMary is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 7th, 2006
Posts: 879
ArubaMary is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Hi Ommie,
Thank you for taking the time to explain the service charge. I have always been somewhat aware of the service charge being divided amongst the workers, but your clarification has spelled it out further. I know many people who do not tip over the service charge. I, however, continue to leave an additional tip for the server, esepcially for extraordinary service.
Mary
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old Friday, March 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Cooks Restaurant's Avatar
Cooks Restaurant Cooks Restaurant is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: June 29th, 2007
Posts: 267
Cooks Restaurant is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Hi Mary,
I too was not too happy about adding the service charge to the bill when the staff first proposed it, but looking at the fact that I am actually helping them manage their tip I didn't see any reason in not helping them with it. I agreed to it with the condition that they will not add the service charge if the client is unsatisfied with the service.

I do sympathize with a lot of people who dislike the service charge. Some I noted on other boards get angry just the mention of the service charge. Reality is, there are quite a few restaurants who do abuse or mis-use the service charge. I don't think that the late Mr. Ike Cohen ever intended the service charge to be the way some are doing it. Furthermore, even we are not adding the service charge for the reason the late Mr. Ike Cohen had introduced it. We are putting it in place just as a means of helping the staff manage their tips, and this does make for better working environment between staff members. Additionally, from our experience, it reflects a better service to our clients.
__________________
Visit us at www.cooksrestaurant.com or e-mail us at cooksrestaurant@live.com.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old Wednesday, August 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM
TomR's Avatar
TomR TomR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 23rd, 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 166
TomR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

As a general rule, I tip between 20 and 25 percent. When I see a 15 percent extra charge on the bill, I donít care what the restaurant calls it, I donít care what the restaurant does with it or how they divide it. That is not my problem. I consider the 15 percent a tip and add 5 to 10 percent more depending on the quality of the service. If the service was absolutely horrible, I would probably add nothing, but I donít recall that happening in Aruba. Slow service to me does not equate to horrible service. I am on vacation and not in a real big hurry to go anywhere.

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old Thursday, August 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM
stevej64 stevej64 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 19th, 2007
Posts: 2
stevej64 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Cooks
you say since you have put this program in your system you have to pay taxes to the govt.Tips left on tables NOT TAXABLE?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old Thursday, August 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Cooks Restaurant's Avatar
Cooks Restaurant Cooks Restaurant is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: June 29th, 2007
Posts: 267
Cooks Restaurant is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Cooks
you say since you have put this program in your system you have to pay taxes to the govt.Tips left on tables NOT TAXABLE?
Hi Steve,
Yes, we have to pay taxes to the government. This automated system is linked to our administrative system and by law we have to pay taxes to the government. That was something that the staff were made aware of and they accepted it.

If and whenever tips are left on the table for the waiter/waitress by law they have the obligation to declare it to the government's internal revenue department and pay taxes on it. I don't have any ways of knowing if they received tips or not when left on the table for them or handed to them.

When tips are left on the credit card payment, the restaurant has to pay taxes on that as well, because it shows as an income to the restaurant.

Now that we are going to re-open in September, I have decided that there will be no service charge. Only the 3% BBO tax. We will no longer handle their tips for them, so if the customer wants to leave a tip for the waiting staff all tips will have to be paid to the waiter/waitress directly.

I too did not like the idea of adding a service charge to the customer's bill, but we did so to help the staff as I explained before in my previous posts.

Thanks for the questions Steve. If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.

Best regards,
Ommi
__________________
Visit us at www.cooksrestaurant.com or e-mail us at cooksrestaurant@live.com.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old Thursday, August 6th, 2009, 06:06 PM
stevej64 stevej64 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 19th, 2007
Posts: 2
stevej64 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

cooks
I was kidding I know you have to declare your tips to the govt.We have the same deal in the USA.Some resturants in NEW YORK CITY add 20% your bill,some also add 18% if you have a party over 6 .Tavern on The Green in NYC 18 dollars for a rum and coke plus 20%.Will stop in when things slow down at home.My wifes grandmother is a Lejuez,Voges.
steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old Monday, August 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Linda A Linda A is offline
Member
 
Join Date: October 9th, 2004
Posts: 57
Linda A is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Here's what I find a little off about tips. Say you have two tables of 2 people each. Table number 1 orders 2 filet mignon dinners 2 glasses of wine and the other table orders 2 hamburgers & 2 sodas. It takes the same about of time & energy to carry the filet mignons & glasses of wine to the first table as it does to carry two burgers & sodas to the other one. Yet the 15% tip for the exact same service costs the table w/the steaks waaaaaaaaaay more just because they ordered more expensive dinners.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old Monday, August 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Linda A Linda A is offline
Member
 
Join Date: October 9th, 2004
Posts: 57
Linda A is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Wanted to edit to add something to my above post but not quite sure how to do that so added this post to say........perhaps the tip should be based on how many people you serve at each table instead of the total bill. I don't know if that would work better but the other way just seems odd to me for the reason I stated. Oh and I was a waitress a looooooooong time ago.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old Monday, August 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Cooks Restaurant's Avatar
Cooks Restaurant Cooks Restaurant is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: June 29th, 2007
Posts: 267
Cooks Restaurant is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
cooks
I was kidding I know you have to declare your tips to the govt.We have the same deal in the USA.Some resturants in NEW YORK CITY add 20% your bill,some also add 18% if you have a party over 6 .Tavern on The Green in NYC 18 dollars for a rum and coke plus 20%.Will stop in when things slow down at home.My wifes grandmother is a Lejuez,Voges.
steve
I thought you were.

It is unbelievable....$18.00 dollars for a rum and coke plus 20% ??? What is it made of ???

When you're on the island stop by the restaurant. My family has known the Lejuez family for many years. Very nice people.
__________________
Visit us at www.cooksrestaurant.com or e-mail us at cooksrestaurant@live.com.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old Saturday, June 12th, 2010, 09:57 PM
jawz jawz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 10th, 2010
Location: Aruba
Posts: 145
jawz is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooks Restaurant View Post
Hi Steve,
Yes, we have to pay taxes to the government. This automated system is linked to our administrative system and by law we have to pay taxes to the government. That was something that the staff were made aware of and they accepted it.

If and whenever tips are left on the table for the waiter/waitress by law they have the obligation to declare it to the government's internal revenue department and pay taxes on it. I don't have any ways of knowing if they received tips or not when left on the table for them or handed to them.

When tips are left on the credit card payment, the restaurant has to pay taxes on that as well, because it shows as an income to the restaurant.

Now that we are going to re-open in September, I have decided that there will be no service charge. Only the 3% BBO tax. We will no longer handle their tips for them, so if the customer wants to leave a tip for the waiting staff all tips will have to be paid to the waiter/waitress directly.

I too did not like the idea of adding a service charge to the customer's bill, but we did so to help the staff as I explained before in my previous posts.

Thanks for the questions Steve. If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.

Best regards,
Ommi
Dear Cooks,
I respect the fact and applaude you , that the staff will have to earn their own tips. This way they will be forced to learn what customer service is .When you were charging the 15% were you also keeping a percentage for the company ? Just a thought as I know this is common practice here. Good service will always be rewarded by most tourist, especially Americans. We are by far the best tipping country in the world.
I also think they should not have to share their tips with anyone other than the "Buspeople". The cooks and other staff should be paid APPROPIATE" wages and not need to survive off the wait staff. Their "Keep" should be based on their performance and paid what they are worth. Although this is a Caribean Island with a European way of business, you deal primarily with Americans and need to treat your employees appropiatly , based on the fact that this is how it is done in the States. Love it or hate it, it's the facts of this Island. Americans don't register the European way, we tip based on Food, Courtesy, attentiveness, cleanliness and so on. Please understand I am not singuling out, the problem is prevelant all over the Island. I also am not asking any Island company to cater just to Americans, It's just my opinion and advise.
Regards
Arucano JAWZ
P.S. I appologize for the poor English Spelling. Im sure may Europeans and locals spell better than I !
P.S.S. American VS. England : Tie in the World Cup Yee Haw U.S.A.
I also watch the Dutch and wear my Orange for my Aruba Netherlands Team !!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #21  
Old Sunday, June 13th, 2010, 12:22 AM
sunscreen sunscreen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 30th, 2006
Location: virtual
Posts: 70
sunscreen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

golly - sounds confusing. no wonder people run to Lings, or Certified or even to Super Foods. Although an explanation is provided......it's a shame to confuse the service charge with the tip because in the end the server or whoever may be receiving the tip is surely to get short changed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old Sunday, June 13th, 2010, 07:34 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

jawz, the waitstaff in every american restaurant is paid nearly nothing. the owners do not have to abide by minimum wages and they extremely rarely do. no one who works as waitstaff could ever survive on the wages paid in an american restaurant. tips are what they live for and live on.

when cooks was charging 15% they did exactly what 90% of the other restaurants did on aruba. i never was fond of the 15% standard and am thrilled with any restaurant that drops it because yes, a portion always seems to go to the owners when the patrons mean it to go to the staff.

yes americans tip best because we are used to the practices in the states where a waiter would starve on their wages. which brings me to my question. is the reason that people from other countries tip less or nothing that the waitstaffs of restaurants in those countries actually get decent wages? i've always wondered about that. does anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz View Post
Dear Cooks,
I respect the fact and applaude you , that the staff will have to earn their own tips. This way they will be forced to learn what customer service is .When you were charging the 15% were you also keeping a percentage for the company ? Just a thought as I know this is common practice here. Good service will always be rewarded by most tourist, especially Americans. We are by far the best tipping country in the world.
I also think they should not have to share their tips with anyone other than the "Buspeople". The cooks and other staff should be paid APPROPIATE" wages and not need to survive off the wait staff. Their "Keep" should be based on their performance and paid what they are worth. Although this is a Caribean Island with a European way of business, you deal primarily with Americans and need to treat your employees appropiatly , based on the fact that this is how it is done in the States. Love it or hate it, it's the facts of this Island. Americans don't register the European way, we tip based on Food, Courtesy, attentiveness, cleanliness and so on. Please understand I am not singuling out, the problem is prevelant all over the Island. I also am not asking any Island company to cater just to Americans, It's just my opinion and advise.
Regards
Arucano JAWZ
P.S. I appologize for the poor English Spelling. Im sure may Europeans and locals spell better than I !
P.S.S. American VS. England : Tie in the World Cup Yee Haw U.S.A.
I also watch the Dutch and wear my Orange for my Aruba Netherlands Team !!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old Sunday, June 13th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Cooks Restaurant's Avatar
Cooks Restaurant Cooks Restaurant is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: June 29th, 2007
Posts: 267
Cooks Restaurant is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz View Post
Dear Cooks,
I respect the fact and applaude you , that the staff will have to earn their own tips. This way they will be forced to learn what customer service is .When you were charging the 15% were you also keeping a percentage for the company ? Just a thought as I know this is common practice here. Good service will always be rewarded by most tourist, especially Americans. We are by far the best tipping country in the world.
I also think they should not have to share their tips with anyone other than the "Buspeople". The cooks and other staff should be paid APPROPIATE" wages and not need to survive off the wait staff. Their "Keep" should be based on their performance and paid what they are worth. Although this is a Caribean Island with a European way of business, you deal primarily with Americans and need to treat your employees appropiatly , based on the fact that this is how it is done in the States. Love it or hate it, it's the facts of this Island. Americans don't register the European way, we tip based on Food, Courtesy, attentiveness, cleanliness and so on. Please understand I am not singuling out, the problem is prevelant all over the Island. I also am not asking any Island company to cater just to Americans, It's just my opinion and advise.
Regards
Arucano JAWZ
P.S. I appologize for the poor English Spelling. Im sure may Europeans and locals spell better than I !
P.S.S. American VS. England : Tie in the World Cup Yee Haw U.S.A.
I also watch the Dutch and wear my Orange for my Aruba Netherlands Team !!!!!
Good morning Jawz.
I thought I explained quite in detail what we did with regards to the 15% service charge, but I appologize for not being clear enough. As I mentioned in my previous posts, due to the fact that our restaurant system is automated and link to our administrative system we had to deduct only the taxed portion of the tip/service charge. The service charge would go entirely to the staff except the taxed portion of which we had to submit to the tax authorities. When your asking "if we were keeping a portion for the company" the fact is NO. The company keeps nothing of the service charge for its profit.
About what you mentioned about "APPROPIATE wages" I can sya the following: All of our wait staff are paid full wages covering their taxes, healthcare insurance, etc. All of our staff, including the kitchen staff, are paid more than what their wages were at the hotels. That is what they are expressing to me since they did work at various hotels. Yet we sell our items at a lower price with a higher quality than most hotels.
I agree with Sherry, you can not compare tipping in the US to tipping in some other parts of the world. In the US, and I have lived there long enough to know it, they work for tips and have little or no wages at all. We have had locals tipping $175.00 and some $195.00 for a table of 6 and a table of 8.
If there are some other restaurants that abuse the service charge system is another fact, but we can not generalize it to all. I agree with you, respect and applaud your thought that the message should go arround to those restaurant that abuse the system and make a bad name to what it actually should stand for. Tipping is for the staff and NOT the restaurant company. I always thought as well that tipping here in Aruba should not be obligatory but at the guest's descretion for good service, Food, Courtesy, attentiveness, cleanliness and so on.
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
Best regards,
Ommi
P.S. For the US team to give England a hard time says enough what to expect from the US team. It'll be a tough team to beat.
__________________
Visit us at www.cooksrestaurant.com or e-mail us at cooksrestaurant@live.com.

Last edited by Cooks Restaurant; Sunday, June 13th, 2010 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old Monday, June 14th, 2010, 06:04 PM
roschone's Avatar
roschone roschone is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: September 28th, 2005
Posts: 801
roschone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

I have to say, I have always considered a 15% Service charge added to the bill as part of the overall tip. If the service was good, I add another 5-10% on top of that. And I think that's pretty fair. Having been in the restaurant business, on both the tip receiving end and non-tip receiving end, I feel I'm pretty generous as a rule. My tipping practices are the same in Aruba, the US or wherever I dine. I don't usually add an additional 15% on top of a service charge as that would make the tip total to 30%. And I think that's kind of high. (Although after a certain amount of alcohol it's been known to happen LOL) Let's face it, it's certainly a lot easier to figure a fair tip if there's no service charge. I just never feel like I really know how the tip $ are being distrubuted.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old Saturday, January 15th, 2011, 09:22 PM
classiclincoln classiclincoln is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 25th, 2010
Location: Vineland, NJ
Posts: 193
classiclincoln is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

I realize this is an old topic, but this is the first time I'm seeing it. Let me give you my perspective (admitting I did not read each post, so excuse the redundancy if it exists). I used to work in the restaurant industry. I know what should be expected and what should not. A good restaurant will not "auction off" the food. That drives me crazy. If that happens, the most the server will get is 15%. If they don't auction off the food, they'll probably get close to 20%. I'm sorry, there are many ways NOT to auction off food, so if it happens, it's just poor training or just being lazy.

A tip is "to insure prompt service". This gives no incentive for good service from most (not all) servers. When we were in the Bahamas, we had the worst service ever, and it was consistently bad. I think it was because the entire country adds a service charge to the bill.

If I get good service, I'll most definitely tip well. We were at the Knife & Fork restaurant in Atlantic City and had the best service ever. We tipped 30%.

Servers should know (or be trained) how to give good service, thereby getting good tips. When I used to work at a national full service restaurant chain (about 20 years ago) a server was reporting over $25,000 of tips! G-d only knows what she was actually making!!

So, no service charge, I won't add a tip if there is a service charge, and my normal tip for good service is close to 20%. That's just me, and my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #26  
Old Saturday, January 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

the knife and fork-is that the stand alone restaurant at the bottom of ac near the hilton? if not, where is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiclincoln View Post
I realize this is an old topic, but this is the first time I'm seeing it. Let me give you my perspective (admitting I did not read each post, so excuse the redundancy if it exists). I used to work in the restaurant industry. I know what should be expected and what should not. A good restaurant will not "auction off" the food. That drives me crazy. If that happens, the most the server will get is 15%. If they don't auction off the food, they'll probably get close to 20%. I'm sorry, there are many ways NOT to auction off food, so if it happens, it's just poor training or just being lazy.

A tip is "to insure prompt service". This gives no incentive for good service from most (not all) servers. When we were in the Bahamas, we had the worst service ever, and it was consistently bad. I think it was because the entire country adds a service charge to the bill.

If I get good service, I'll most definitely tip well. We were at the Knife & Fork restaurant in Atlantic City and had the best service ever. We tipped 30%.

Servers should know (or be trained) how to give good service, thereby getting good tips. When I used to work at a national full service restaurant chain (about 20 years ago) a server was reporting over $25,000 of tips! G-d only knows what she was actually making!!

So, no service charge, I won't add a tip if there is a service charge, and my normal tip for good service is close to 20%. That's just me, and my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #27  
Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 10:27 PM
classiclincoln classiclincoln is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 25th, 2010
Location: Vineland, NJ
Posts: 193
classiclincoln is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

Yup, that's it.

Knife & Fork Inn
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #28  
Old Tuesday, September 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM
SunSeeker SunSeeker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: August 20th, 2009
Location: Netherlands Dordrecht
Posts: 49
SunSeeker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

We donít mind the service charge. I think it is usual in travel business. If the service is good, we add another 5 to 10%.
However, is the service is horrible.. of course no extra.. And if the service charge is on the bill, we will pay. But it was the last time we visit the place. It only happens once.
__________________
Whether you want a romantic, active, family, or adventurous vacation, in Aruba you can have it all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #29  
Old Thursday, January 17th, 2013, 09:12 PM
rocheles rocheles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 25th, 2004
Posts: 208
rocheles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the restaurant service charge poll

We have been going to Aruba for 20 years and I just can't stand
when I see that service charge. I have asked the servers numerous
times what it is and I have always been told that it's a charge for
the kitchen. I always knew it's part of the tip. Whenever I eat
out home, I usualy tip 20% or more. It's never added to the bill
unless it's six people or more. When I'm in Aruba and they tell
me that, I add 5% and leave it at that. At first I felt bad and
gave an additional 20% but than the meal was costing me 35%
for tip and I did not like that. There has got to be a solution.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #30  
Old Thursday, May 23rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Becksterlh1 Becksterlh1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 21st, 2013
Posts: 1
Becksterlh1 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: the restaurant service charge poll

If they are going to dictate the tip at 15% then that's all they are going to get. They all look at you like you have 10 heads when you don't leave more. One guy told us the 15% was split between all staff and that the owners put that on the bill automatically. Well if you don't like what the owners do then get another profession. I told him that was his tip then. He said no that is for owners. Oh well, that's your tip!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com