Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba Restaurant Reviews

Aruba Restaurant Reviews For new aruba restaurants reviews or to post a new review click here. To view archived reviews click here.

Old Friday, June 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM

arubaariba is on a distinguished road
Default A Foodie's Review - Various 5/22-6/2

This being our 20th visit to Aruba, we have tried many, many restaurants. We had tried a few new places this trip, and returned to some of our favorites:

• Amadeus – An outstanding restaurant with extremely quality food and excellent service. I am an advocate of this restaurant and recommend many to try it We had dined her twice during our stay. The first time with Cammiedog & JD on Sunday night. Appetizers of Coconut Shrimp and Escargots were awesome as usual!! Entrees consisted of Tilapia, Veal Chop, and Veal Culets w/homemade spaetzle. Food was quality, and the presentation and service were excellent. The second time we had gone with some local friends, and once again everything was wonderful!! My friend Hubert made the comment, that amongst the 12 other restaurants that we has taken them to – this was the best!! And believe me when I say… we had taken them to other well-known restaurants. The restaurant is non-smoking, but you can just step outside on the nice patio for a smoke (we are smokers) – no problem. It is Very easy to get to…… if you have not tried it – add it to your list.

• Bingo's – Always our first night stop. Food, service and comfort is their specialty…. And we keep returning. Stopped here a couple of timed with JD & Cecile for some beverages – and of course a few shots of Schrobeller. On the two dinner occasions combined we had Bingo Burgers, Grouper, the BarHop special of tenderloin tips in pepper sauce, Coconut shrimps, encrout chicken, Bingo Salad, and probably some other things. All were excellent!! It was great to see Nannette back to work again too! Mike & Franz have a great place!!

• Sawasdee Thai – it only took me 4 years of bugging Debbie to try this place – and finally she said ok!! Saw it from the road for years, heard great reviews from C & JD…. And was not disappointed!! Oriental restaurants can differ greatly in their dishes, so the waitress explained some dishes. We chose an appetizer of chicken and beef skewers, the Chicken Pad Thai and the Drunken Chicken. We like it very spicy – so she brought us a side of their hottest….WOW!! My endorphins were going nuts – gotta have more!! Needed that green ice cream (forget name – made from a plant) to cool off my lips. The food was very good, nice atmosphere – and much better than we expected. Location and appearance can be deceiving – but I am so glad we went. The new owners Simon and Peter (who also own Bavaria next door) put a lot of money to upgrade the kitchen (yes – I went back there) to have a very nice restaurant. We will return.

• B55 – stopped here for lunch on the way back from Mango Halto. Been here 3 or 4 times before….. had to get our shrimp bisque fix!! Was very good, but recipe had changed slightly – more tomato base, less garlic, still 3 big shrimp, and still very good!! Had the special tuna & shrimp wrap, and grouper. Portions big, priced right, and a great view!! He added an extension at the back for 40 more people – looking over the nature area.

• Gasparito – JD & Cecile took us here….and it was a very enjoyable evening and meal. We sat outside on the patio – and everything was exceptional!! Had 3 appetizers: escargot, shrimp salad and coconut shrimp. All outstanding!! Our entrees consisted of Gasparito Chicken (boneless, flavorful seasoned "roll" breaded and sliced), Shrimp Thermidore, and 2 mixed plates (see Cammiedog's review). There were no complaints at all– and only a small leftover container – so I know everything was very good! Service was great –and the food and evening was awesome!! Thanks again Cecile & JD – will go back.

• Old Cunucu House – we like this place not only because of the good food, but the cool restaurant inside. Had my Keshi Yena as usual – excellent!! Debbie had Grouper of course, and said it was very good. Had some pumpkin soup and Oyster soup for appetizers. Their pumpkin soup is not like a "butternut squash" soup as others have – this is very pumpkinny (new word for Webster) and unique – is always good! Had some flan for desert – and who doesn't like flan?? Their pan bati and funchi are very good also. The only complaint that I have is that dinner was served with veggies and a small scoop of mashed potatoes. The potatoes were instant and unseasoned. I talked to the owner's sister – and told her that a big mistake to even think of serving. Apparently they ran out of the real thing and made instant, but never again. I tend not to complain, but instant potatoes suck. Other than that – all was great inside, in our own little room in air conditioning. It was too hot and still to sit outside on their patio.

• Bavaria Restaurant – stopped by after our Sawasdee dinner (right next door) for an ice-cold German Beer on tap in a frozen glass!! That hit the spot!! And so did the following 3 more. Took a look at the menu, talked to Peter the owner, and took the tour. Ate there the next night. If you like ethic food – or are just a "foodie" like me – stop in. The place has outside seating, and inside seating – with the feeling of a German Beer Hall. What he can't get on Aruba – he gets shipped from Germany. I wanted to try some of his German sausages, but we had a couple of different Scnitzels instead. Deb had JeagerSchnizel (mushroom/onion gravy was awesome) and I had another Schnitzel with a lot of onions on top. Both were lightly breaded and tender – like they should be. Had some homemade potato pancakes and red cabbage. Of course I had a few more of those ice-cold German Beers on tap in frozen glass – which is the best on a warm night!! If you are German- or if you are not German, you will like this place.

• Gostoso – went here our last night, and introduced JD & C to a new place. The owner definitely is very passionate about his food selections. Everybody gets the full descriptions of what it is, how it's made, etc. I like that!! Had their special sushi roll (nothing raw – very unique) and the sausages (chorizo and Mozilla) as apps. Both very good!! I had the tenderloin medallions with the little pear onions soaked in wine – if you've been there, you know what I mean. Deb had the grouper (excellent), Both JD & C had the snapper special – one with a Creole sauce and the other with garlic butter. Had some tres leche cake and tiramisu for desert. I like this place because the food and service are very good – and it is off the beaten path. Small place with a great feeling!!

• Pincho's – What is a trip to Aruba without going to Pincho's!!! Usually just drinks and appetizers. Great place!! Great staff!! Great food and drink!! Had some Bacardi & Cokes, some vino and the 3 selection bar appetizer of chorizo, shrimps and chicken skewers. Of course they have fancier names, but come with nice sauces. Did not get the cucumber salad like usual – damn! Guess I will have to go back – and will.

• Shon Gecko (LaQuinta) – the pool bar where we stayed. Food is very good!! Homemade Onion rings, Chicken fingers breaded and fried upon order, and Huge BLT. This is a nice place for lunch – with a nice atmosphere. You do not need to stay there to eat – nice place for lunch.

Well, I think that's about it for this trip – next trip in November. The STAR of the trip (for the second time in a row)……….. AMADEUS.
Share with Facebook
Old Friday, June 4th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Foodie's Review - Various 5/22-6/2

From one foodie to another, what a great list of reviews. I love reading other's opinions of both restaurants I'm familiar with and of those I want to try. Thanks!
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, June 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM

arubaariba is on a distinguished road

It's funny.... for us - the only real decision (or big question of the day) that needs to be made, while laying out on the beach is.... which restaurant should we go to tonight? Nothing else seems to really matter....
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, June 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

totally agree. that's the first thing we ask each other every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubaariba View Post
It's funny.... for us - the only real decision (or big question of the day) that needs to be made, while laying out on the beach is.... which restaurant should we go to tonight? Nothing else seems to really matter....
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, June 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Almost Aruban

ruba4ever is on a distinguished road

That always seems to be the discussion on the beach with all our friends each and every day......

I start making a list way before we leave....I make a list of places that are must do's .... and then a list of new places I want to try. We try to do at least one new one every year.....and that list always seems to grow.

Down to 105 days.....that's not to far right???

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, June 7th, 2010, 08:06 AM

aaahruba is on a distinguished road

Where is Gostoso? I googled this to find out and evidently, that term has a ***ual connotation in some language because some VERY scantily clad men and women came up along with some x rated websites!

edit - what? you can't type s ^ e ^ x ^ u ^ a ^ l but you can type x rated ?

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, June 7th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

isn't that hysterical. our censor software has the most unusual idea of smut. s-e-x as three letters together in any word gets '***'. so ***tant should bleep.

but to answer your question i just googled gostoso aruba and got this:

Gostoso - Portuguese, Aruban and International cuisine in Oranjestad Aruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaahruba View Post
Where is Gostoso? I googled this to find out and evidently, that term has a ***ual connotation in some language because some VERY scantily clad men and women came up along with some x rated websites!

edit - what? you can't type s ^ e ^ x ^ u ^ a ^ l but you can type x rated ?
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, June 7th, 2010, 09:30 AM

aaahruba is on a distinguished road

Got it - thanks, Sherry! I wonder what else is near it - looks by the map like it's pretty east from 'town'. We'll have to try it. Tim and I wanted to hit a Portuguese restaurant a few years back and we arrived in Aruba about 2 weeks after they closed

From the internet altho 'gustoso' means delicious, it evidently also means some pretty vulgar things within the slang vernacular of certain countries. Not sure if I would have picked that name for my restaurant :-/

Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, June 10th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review..looks like I will have a couple of new places to try! Gostoso being one of them.

Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, June 10th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

Here the map to Gostoso's. I was there 2 years ago but my friend (a local) drove (the back way). It was very near St. Fransiscus Church and my friend said it was by the old hospital.
Share with Facebook
Old Friday, June 11th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz from N.J. View Post
Here the map to Gostoso's. I was there 2 years ago but my friend (a local) drove (the back way). It was very near St. Fransiscus Church and my friend said it was by the old hospital.
Thanks Liz! How are you by the way....when will you be in Aruba again?

Share with Facebook