Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Tourist Tales

Tourist Tales What makes you visit? What amazing stories have made you come back?

Old Wednesday, July 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
Aruba Expert

Dogwriter is on a distinguished road
Default July 6-17 Observations

Just Back:Highlights
Back from Divi and CDM on Saturday night. Had a great time, as usual.
Observations/Highlights:
There was a screaming fugitive in the last seat of the plane going down. He was surrounded by burly authorities, returning him to Aruba. I don't know what they did, but he suddenly fell silent with lidded eyes and a glazed-over expression.
It rained more than we have seen before in July.
There was much less wind.
There were more flies and gnats.
It was hotter than usual and the locals were complaining.
The Divi is doing some nice work. New landscaping, Bali Beds, lounging pool and more.
Divi and Tam felt like England in a heat wave. There must be some great prices being offered because we have never seen so many Brits. Usual accents are Boston, CT and New York. This time, London, Liverpool and Wales.
Upgrades at Casa del Mar are moving along well. Beach was far better than last year. Pool is still a problem. Does not stay clean all day.
Bully was great. Waiting for us at the airport and got us back with time to spare.
Arubafastphones and Iris got my SIM card to me right away.Fantastic.
World cup semis and finals made the island festive. When a cabbie asked who I wanted to win, I told him, Holland, because they were the underdog to the favored Spain." I guess he misunderstood what that meant, because he was offended and overcharged us.
The airport is my favorite, coming and going. Food, drink, shopping, slots, TV and even smoking areas make it a nice adventure, even on a Saturday.
Matthew's Rib Night still great, as is Promenade Appetizer Dinner.
Too hot and hectic this year at Texas de Brazil.
Tortuga Grill at ABC is still the best-kept secret, best priced venue for great food at good prices, right on the beach.
Downtown is empty, even on a Saturday night.
Palm Beach is the new "downtown."
Won't waste time going to the Marriot again. Plenty to do without going up there.
Number of visitors from South America is up as well. Seems Aruba is not counting on just American tourism dollars.
Glad to be home, but missing Aruba already. I guess that is a good sign.

"Vacation is what you make of it, what you take from it and what you leave behind."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 21st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: July 6-17 Observations

welcome home walt! glad you had a great time. interesting observations. wonder what the 'fugitive' had done. hopefully the wind will be back within 16 days so we get to cool down a little from the weather here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwriter View Post
Just Back:Highlights
Back from Divi and CDM on Saturday night. Had a great time, as usual.
Observations/Highlights:
There was a screaming fugitive in the last seat of the plane going down. He was surrounded by burly authorities, returning him to Aruba. I don't know what they did, but he suddenly fell silent with lidded eyes and a glazed-over expression.
It rained more than we have seen before in July.
There was much less wind.
There were more flies and gnats.
It was hotter than usual and the locals were complaining.
The Divi is doing some nice work. New landscaping, Bali Beds, lounging pool and more.
Divi and Tam felt like England in a heat wave. There must be some great prices being offered because we have never seen so many Brits. Usual accents are Boston, CT and New York. This time, London, Liverpool and Wales.
Upgrades at Casa del Mar are moving along well. Beach was far better than last year. Pool is still a problem. Does not stay clean all day.
Bully was great. Waiting for us at the airport and got us back with time to spare.
Arubafastphones and Iris got my SIM card to me right away.Fantastic.
World cup semis and finals made the island festive. When a cabbie asked who I wanted to win, I told him, Holland, because they were the underdog to the favored Spain." I guess he misunderstood what that meant, because he was offended and overcharged us.
The airport is my favorite, coming and going. Food, drink, shopping, slots, TV and even smoking areas make it a nice adventure, even on a Saturday.
Matthew's Rib Night still great, as is Promenade Appetizer Dinner.
Too hot and hectic this year at Texas de Brazil.
Tortuga Grill at ABC is still the best-kept secret, best priced venue for great food at good prices, right on the beach.
Downtown is empty, even on a Saturday night.
Palm Beach is the new "downtown."
Won't waste time going to the Marriot again. Plenty to do without going up there.
Number of visitors from South America is up as well. Seems Aruba is not counting on just American tourism dollars.
Glad to be home, but missing Aruba already. I guess that is a good sign.
Old Wednesday, July 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM
Aruba Expert

Thanks Sherry!
I wonder what he had done, but, I wonder MORE how they got him quiet?
People were complaining that he was scaring their kids and the flight crew said that he would quiet down. He did.
Hopefully the welcome winds will return in time for your trip.

"Vacation is what you make of it, what you take from it and what you leave behind."
Old Wednesday, July 21st, 2010, 11:41 PM

amarg is on a distinguished road

Hi, thanks for your observations. We are staying at CDM for two weeks, Sept 18 to Oct 2 and it's our first visit to Aruba. Very excited of course! Why doesn't the pool stay clean all day? What are they doing about it? Does this mean the kiddy pool is icky too as we have a 13 month old going with us (13 months at time of travel, 11 months now) and so we chose CDM cause it is so baby friendly but I can't handle a gross pool. Are they good at listening to guests requests and/or complaints at CDM? Is there anything else I should know about going there? We are staying in a presidential, room 1213 and I wonder how the beds are and the comfort, air conditioning, water pressure, kitchen amenities, etc., but I'm sure it's great overall.
Do you tip the maid daily in a TS rental or at the end of the week end of stay or a few times here and there?
Does anyone know when renting someone else's TS, beside the rent and the energy surcharge, are there any other fees, charges, taxes, etc., that we should expect or be aware of? If we charge things to our room while staying there, is there an extra charge for that or an automatic gratuity, tax or service charge applied? Is it a good idea to charge things to the room or pay cash as we go?
Thanks so much for all your help. Last question, mosquitoes and weather in mid to end of september?
Old Thursday, July 22nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarg View Post
Hi, thanks for your observations. We are staying at CDM for two weeks, Sept 18 to Oct 2 and it's our first visit to Aruba. Very excited of course! Why doesn't the pool stay clean all day? What are they doing about it? Does this mean the kiddy pool is icky too as we have a 13 month old going with us (13 months at time of travel, 11 months now) and so we chose CDM cause it is so baby friendly but I can't handle a gross pool. Are they good at listening to guests requests and/or complaints at CDM? Is there anything else I should know about going there? We are staying in a presidential, room 1213 and I wonder how the beds are and the comfort, air conditioning, water pressure, kitchen amenities, etc., but I'm sure it's great overall.
Do you tip the maid daily in a TS rental or at the end of the week end of stay or a few times here and there?
Does anyone know when renting someone else's TS, beside the rent and the energy surcharge, are there any other fees, charges, taxes, etc., that we should expect or be aware of? If we charge things to our room while staying there, is there an extra charge for that or an automatic gratuity, tax or service charge applied? Is it a good idea to charge things to the room or pay cash as we go?
Thanks so much for all your help. Last question, mosquitoes and weather in mid to end of september?
We love CDM. We bought room 1203 a few years ago and we are very pleased, except for the big pool. It seems to be an issue with many folks. They clean it every morning, but it gets pretty cloudy by afternoon. The baby pool is smaller and looked much better.
Brand new king size mattresses in the units. Brand new toilets, all kitchen amenities included. Plenty of hot water in both showers. Great A/C and room air purifiers in units.
We tipped the maid daily, but some split into two payments and some tip at the end. No real rule.
You can cash $100 in Travelers Checks per day, at front desk. You get a clean pool towel per person daily.
The fee at check-out is now $128.00. (Energy fee and new timeshare tax.)
I am sure you will love the place. Units are very large and very clean with everything you need right there.