Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Tourist Tales

Tourist Tales What makes you visit? What amazing stories have made you come back?

Old Wednesday, October 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM

mikesgrandma626 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Super?Car Rental

We always travel to Aruba with a big group and this year was no exception. We had 6 adults and 3 children, ages 4, 2 and 1. We rented a 12 passenger van from Super Car Rental for the week of September 29th through October 6th. After spending a long day travelling with three small children,we looked forward to getting our luggage into the van, and getting to our hotel. Super Car Rental brought the van around to the front of their building by the airport, and helped us load our luggage into the back. The attendant then told us that we had to close the trunk with a string, because the latch on the rear door was broken. We got the three kids into the carseats we rented at an additional cost, and got in for our trip to La Cabana. The van seemed terribly warm, but we thought that if it had been sitting int the Aruba sun, and just started up, that it would take a little while to cool down. It never did. The other and even more upsetting thing was the foul odor in the van. We had the windows closed in an attempt to get the air conditioning going and the smell of urine was unbelievable. Since we were all loaded in, we drove to La Cabana, still hoping the air might kick in. When we checked in and got setttled, I called Super?Car Rental to let them know about the problems and the phone just rang and rang. This was at about 5:00pm. I tried again later that evening and still got no answer. I called again the following morning, and an agent picked up. I told him that about the lack of air conditioning, and the horrible odor and that we wanted someone to come and pick up the van immediately. We were told to leave the keys at the front desk and they would come for the van later that day, and they would leave a voucher.
We checked with the desk later that afternoon and were told that the van had been picked up and that they left a receipt. We had been billed $134.00 for use of their stinky van for the 6 miles to La Cabana!!!
I called and again got no answer. The following morning I tried the number and was connected with the agent I spoke to originally. He told me that I had to speak with a manager at a number. She seemed to be familiar with my complaint, and basically told me, too bad! That we used the car for the day, whether it was 6 miles or 600 miles and that was the charge.
The van was absolutely disgusting. It would have been impossible for anyone to use it. The lack of air conditioning would have been bad enough, but the smell was horrendous. Definitely not "SUPER"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, October 18th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Super?Car Rental

How terrible! Thanks for letting us know. We always have people giving thier opinions about what has happened when they rent vehicles. But this one sounds awful. I hope you were able to go on and enjoy your vacation.

Old Thursday, October 18th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

how did you pay? if by credit card i would dispute the bill. it is easy to do and with that horror story. if you want to do it i will tell you the steps. just let me know.
Old Friday, October 19th, 2007, 07:58 AM

mikesgrandma626 is on a distinguished road

How could you not have a great time in Aruba? We used taxis for the rest of the week and it worked out great.
Thanks,
Mary
Old Wednesday, October 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Helmut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesgrandma626 View Post
We always travel to Aruba with a big group and this year was no exception. We had 6 adults and 3 children, ages 4, 2 and 1. We rented a 12 passenger van from Super Car Rental for the week of September 29th through October 6th. After spending a long day travelling with three small children,we looked forward to getting our luggage into the van, and getting to our hotel. Super Car Rental brought the van around to the front of their building by the airport, and helped us load our luggage into the back. The attendant then told us that we had to close the trunk with a string, because the latch on the rear door was broken. We got the three kids into the carseats we rented at an additional cost, and got in for our trip to La Cabana. The van seemed terribly warm, but we thought that if it had been sitting int the Aruba sun, and just started up, that it would take a little while to cool down. It never did. The other and even more upsetting thing was the foul odor in the van. We had the windows closed in an attempt to get the air conditioning going and the smell of urine was unbelievable. Since we were all loaded in, we drove to La Cabana, still hoping the air might kick in. When we checked in and got setttled, I called Super?Car Rental to let them know about the problems and the phone just rang and rang. This was at about 5:00pm. I tried again later that evening and still got no answer. I called again the following morning, and an agent picked up. I told him that about the lack of air conditioning, and the horrible odor and that we wanted someone to come and pick up the van immediately. We were told to leave the keys at the front desk and they would come for the van later that day, and they would leave a voucher.
We checked with the desk later that afternoon and were told that the van had been picked up and that they left a receipt. We had been billed $134.00 for use of their stinky van for the 6 miles to La Cabana!!!
I called and again got no answer. The following morning I tried the number and was connected with the agent I spoke to originally. He told me that I had to speak with a manager at a number. She seemed to be familiar with my complaint, and basically told me, too bad! That we used the car for the day, whether it was 6 miles or 600 miles and that was the charge.
The van was absolutely disgusting. It would have been impossible for anyone to use it. The lack of air conditioning would have been bad enough, but the smell was horrendous. Definitely not "SUPER"
You have rented 3 toyota yaris's for the week and still come out cheaper than the van
Old Saturday, November 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM

mzade is on a distinguished road

That sounds awful!!!! We rented with them a while back. Same problem minus the smell; no air conditioning and no accomodation for the inconvenience. Although I love the Aruban heat, when driving in a metal vehicle you need air!!! Next time try Ace, I was never so impressed with a car rental agency as I was with that one. We have rented from about 5 different places so far and this year we went with Ace online prior to arriving. The car was wonderful, the price was a great deal and the service was great too...
Old Monday, January 7th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Banned

imlavinia is on a distinguished road

Too bad! It will surely have a negative impact on the establishment.
Old Tuesday, October 7th, 2008, 12:46 PM

tds-ken is on a distinguished road

We always use Ruba rent a car, they have always done well by us. Who knows, it depeneds on the day of the week I think!!!