Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare & Vacation Properties > Timeshare Q&A

Timeshare Q&A General questions about timeshares.

Old Thursday, June 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Industry changes

As with any industry, and Timeshare is just that - changes will come when the demand for the current offerings is sated. From all that I have been able to find out, it seems as if the demand for the conventional (and what is that anymore?) timeshare offerings on Aruba are slowing down. When I think about the myriad of terms and offerings available, it amazes me that this industry hasn't collapsed a long time ago:
  • Fixed week
  • Floating week
  • Limited usage
  • Club Membership
  • Right to use
  • Deeded
  • Samplers
  • maintenance
  • maintenance week
  • check in taxes
  • internal exchange
  • exchange company
  • fly-buy
  • unit week banking with exchange company
  • Seasonality
  • High
  • Swing
  • Low
  • Lock-out
  • How could I forget CHIKI - HUTS
  • And on and on and on and on.....
It is posible to meet someone on Aruba and ask where they are staying, and receive the following response: (this is just a fun example)

We have a swing floating unit in Omaha and are here via II on a banked week combined with a fly-buy as long as we go to a presentation to see about a two/one lockout where we can make use of a rental pool for the single side and use the double for the family.

I could be way off base, but I believe that someday someone is going to come along and simplify all of this and make a timeshare vacation wnat it should be SIMPLE

Do I love timeshare? Yes
Do I love how we confuse things? No
Do I think that a simpler product would be well accepted? Absolutely
Did anyone ask me for my opinion? Nope

be well
charles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, June 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Industry changes

charles, your opinions are always asked for and welcomed. as usual, your post was a lesson we needed to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes View Post
As with any industry, and Timeshare is just that - changes will come when the demand for the current offerings is sated. From all that I have been able to find out, it seems as if the demand for the conventional (and what is that anymore?) timeshare offerings on Aruba are slowing down. When I think about the myriad of terms and offerings available, it amazes me that this industry hasn't collapsed a long time ago:
  • Fixed week
  • Floating week
  • Limited usage
  • Club Membership
  • Right to use
  • Deeded
  • Samplers
  • maintenance
  • maintenance week
  • check in taxes
  • internal exchange
  • exchange company
  • fly-buy
  • unit week banking with exchange company
  • Seasonality
  • High
  • Swing
  • Low
  • Lock-out
  • How could I forget CHIKI - HUTS
  • And on and on and on and on.....
It is posible to meet someone on Aruba and ask where they are staying, and receive the following response: (this is just a fun example)

We have a swing floating unit in Omaha and are here via II on a banked week combined with a fly-buy as long as we go to a presentation to see about a two/one lockout where we can make use of a rental pool for the single side and use the double for the family.

I could be way off base, but I believe that someday someone is going to come along and simplify all of this and make a timeshare vacation wnat it should be SIMPLE

Do I love timeshare? Yes
Do I love how we confuse things? No
Do I think that a simpler product would be well accepted? Absolutely
Did anyone ask me for my opinion? Nope

be well
charles
Old Thursday, June 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Industry changes

I love this, Charles!! And, you're so right on.

Give me simple because I'm a simplistic person. I knew the weeks I wanted; I knew I wanted ownership for as long as I'm alive; I don't trade... don't know the first thing about Interval or "floats," and don't want to; once a year I write a maintenance check.... walla, that's it for me! I go, I enjoy, get to visit with my island friends, (well, most of them ) and will hopefully continue to do the same simple things every year for a very long time.
Old Friday, June 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Hi Charles,
I have owned timeshare in Aruba since 1986. I continued to purchase weeks, and look forward to buying additonal weeks, but only in Aruba. I have never regretted buying at Aruba Beach Club. Love the ABC, love Aruba and especially love the Aruban people.
Mary
Old Friday, June 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Aruba Expert

Dogwriter is on a distinguished road

After many trips we had tough criteria for buying. We needed a beachfront two bedroom that was deeded and it had to be a bargain. We wanted to be sure to have a guaranteed vacation after retirement where we could control some costs, as opposed to the all-inclusives we usually do. The resort needed a good reputation and had to be low-rise. Last spring, I found a private sale at CDM that met all of our requirements, including the right week.(28) We banked that week with CDM and will be getting a two week stay this year.(Weeks 27 and 28) We don't really care about trading, but I suppose we could someday. The industry gets a bad name from the shady operators out there.You need to do your homework and remember you do not have all the legal protections you have at home. in some countries, it is really much worse.

"Vacation is what you make of it, what you take from it and what you leave behind."
Old Monday, June 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

Hi Mary,
I like what you wrote and that is as it should be. I know a family that does the same thing right outside of Gatlingburg. It is where they go every year and they love everything about it. It is a vacation and you have to go where it makes you happiest.
be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaMary View Post
Hi Charles,
I have owned timeshare in Aruba since 1986. I continued to purchase weeks, and look forward to buying additonal weeks, but only in Aruba. I have never regretted buying at Aruba Beach Club. Love the ABC, love Aruba and especially love the Aruban people.
Mary