Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Tourist Tales

Tourist Tales What makes you visit? What amazing stories have made you come back?

Old Friday, August 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Aruba Expert

SanNic44 is on a distinguished road
Default Aruba Flying Club

This afternoon I had the pleasure of an introduction to the Aruba Flying Club. A local friend of mine is a member and a student pilot. We've been talking about airplanes and flying for several years now and we finally made time to go to the airport. There I was introduced to the fellow who re-started the club after it had been inactive as well as to their number one instructor, who had just been up with a student.

You may not notice it when landing in Aruba aboard a jetliner, but those winds make it very challenging to land in a small plane like the Cessna 172 owned by the club. This is the same type of plane that I fly in the states. However, I don't have much experience in 30 knot winds. I spoke at length with the instructor, a guy who holds most every certificate there is including helicopters. He has about 15,000 hours in the air.

I was also impressed at the amount of general aviation activity at the airport. There are turboprop planes carrying between 6-10 passengers back and forth to Venezuela all day long. There are also a number of planes owned by islanders and others parked on the ramp. The new GA terminal features security and immigration facilities, a small lounge, and a snack bar.

This is one more reason why I like Aruba, a great flying club. I look forward to flying with them when I turn in my next novel.

For a direct link to the photo of us see: http://bentpage.wordpress.com/2009/0...lying-friends/.

Bon dia from la isla. 44
Old Saturday, August 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Aruba Flying Club

Daniel... a couple years ago my brother wanted to rent a plane and do some flying in Aruba, but got turned off with the rhetoric he got from whomever he was doing "business" with at the airport, and never got to do it.

He's been a pilot since 1969, and has a Moony.

Perhaps if you're on island in February, we can make arrangements so he can get in touch with you because I know he'd love to get together with other pilots, and do some flying!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
This afternoon I had the pleasure of an introduction to the Aruba Flying Club. A local friend of mine is a member and a student pilot. We've been talking about airplanes and flying for several years now and we finally made time to go to the airport. There I was introduced to the fellow who re-started the club after it had been inactive as well as to their number one instructor, who had just been up with a student.

You may not notice it when landing in Aruba aboard a jetliner, but those winds make it very challenging to land in a small plane like the Cessna 172 owned by the club. This is the same type of plane that I fly in the states. However, I don't have much experience in 30 knot winds. I spoke at length with the instructor, a guy who holds most every certificate there is including helicopters. He has about 15,000 hours in the air.

I was also impressed at the amount of general aviation activity at the airport. There are turboprop planes carrying between 6-10 passengers back and forth to Venezuela all day long. There are also a number of planes owned by islanders and others parked on the ramp. The new GA terminal features security and immigration facilities, a small lounge, and a snack bar.

This is one more reason why I like Aruba, a great flying club. I look forward to flying with them when I turn in my next novel.

For a direct link to the photo of us see: http://bentpage.wordpress.com/2009/0...lying-friends/.

Bon dia from la isla. 44
Old Saturday, August 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Aruba Expert

Default Re: Aruba Flying Club

Elaine,

Stay in touch and I would be happy to introduce your brother to the guys at the flying club. They have a very positive attitude and are eager for pilots to stop by. Of course he would have to do a check-out flight with them before taking the plane up solo but that's standard procedure for anywhere. I'd keep one of the local guys with me anyway, because they know the local rules and conditions. If your brother has a Mooney, he's used to a much sportier plane than the 172, but flying is flying and I'm sure it would enjoy it.

Also, I do most of my flying around Philadelphia. Does your brother fly in that area. I've stopped in at Pottstown-Limerick, Wings Field, Brandywine, Chester County and so on. It would be fun to meet him around there if that's his theater of operations.

Anyway, good to hear from you. Always do your checklist and watch your airspeed.

PS: It only takes two things to fly: airspeed and money.
Old Saturday, August 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Aruba Flying Club

Daniel... he has a hangar at the Perkiomen Airport in Collegeville. Many years ago he kept his plane at Wings. He can be found at the airport most Saturdays with dog in tow while he polishes or cleans his plane 'cause he's a fanatic with it. Before this one he had a Piper Cub.

We weren't too keen on him flying over Aruba and the surrounding areas, and kinda glad it didn't work out!! lol

Edited to add: As to where he flies, he uses his plane for business a lot, and flies all over the country.
Old Saturday, August 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Aruba Expert

Default Re: Aruba Flying Club

Elaine,

That's excellent. I flew into Perkiomen Valley for some night training. That's a narrow field with not too much runway and that big oak tree off the eastern end. A real challenge but a good lesson.

When I get back, I'll have to stop by and have a chat. Thanks for the tip.