Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba Safety

Aruba Safety Safety issues for travel in Aruba and elsewhere.

Old Wednesday, September 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Arubawasnice is on a distinguished road
Default Car break-in attempted at Eagle Beach

I wanted to mention that about 2 weeks ago when I went to Eagle Beach I was walking back towards my rental car, a Yaris from U-Save, and noticed a man with his face to the driver window. We he spotted us he pretended like we was waiting for the bus and never got on the bus we it arrived. I should have called the police but I gave him an ugly stare and left.

My mistake I realized later was I parked under a shady tree which made it easier to attempt something like this.

Big thumbs up to U Save they gave me a steering wheel lock and told me when renting no to leave anything inside the car.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, September 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM

john is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Car break-in attempted at Eagle Beach

when we first visited aruba in late 90's the car rental guy said to not ever leave any valuables in the car or trunk and to not lock the car. that way the thief won't have to break the window to find out there is nothing in the car. worked for many years, although a couple of years ago they stole the radio "face plate" while we were dining at el gaucho. luckily the car rental guy never noticed it.
Old Wednesday, September 15th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car break-in attempted at Eagle Beach

If you don't lock the car the trunck can be opened and the spare tire will "disappear!"
Old Saturday, September 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM

arubanut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
...rental guy said to not ever leave any valuables in the car or trunk and to not lock the car. that way the thief won't have to break the window to find out there is nothing in the car. worked for many years, although a couple of years ago they stole the radio "face plate" while we were dining at el gaucho. luckily the car rental guy never noticed it.
I agree Lynn.

Been visiting Aruba every year since '91.
I will always lock the car.
Old Friday, September 24th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Wannagoback is on a distinguished road

Just returned from Aruba Wednesday. Tuesday night my daughter and son in law parked in the street next to the Hyatt and had their rental stolen. It was a Mitsubishi. The person at the Hyatt who helped them said it was rare that that was stolen because they usually take Yaris.
Unfortunately they had her birthday present from her husband in the trunk so that and some snorkel gear were gone with the car.
PS they put the stuff in the trunk before they parked by the Hyatt.
Old Friday, October 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM

Manzanita is on a distinguished road

We used to rent cars in the 90's & used to dress "fancy" & wear jewelry then, too. Never had a problem then, but have learned to wear "older clothes," never wear jewelry & take the bus & cabs everywhere now.

We're extremely observant of our surroundings & find that nobody EVER gives us a second glance. It's a very relaxing & confident way to travel. I'm just sayin' ...
Old Thursday, October 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM

LearJet9 is on a distinguished road

We too had an issue with our rented yaris. Parked at the Playa Linda and had the front grille and headlight lenses stolen. My wife no longer brings expensive jewelry to Aruba and the items purchased while in Aruba are put in the safe until we leave. While we feel Aruba is still safe, we realize it's just not as safe as it used to be. Seems the criminal element is expanding. I really hope it doesn't get to the point that we feel so unsafe we stop going to Aruba. It is [was] one of the main reasons we loved Aruba.
Bill & Donna
Old Sunday, November 7th, 2010, 10:32 PM

PaulVegas is on a distinguished road

Guys... any where in the world there is crime... no matter how small or how big... common sense, says DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR .... even if you're in your own driveway or Aruba for that matter. Always lock your doors to your vehicle, park it in a well lit area, and park it where there is alot of people traffic....
Old Sunday, November 7th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

paul, first...welcome to our forum.

it's funny you should mention in your driveway. years ago that happened to me. honestly, why would anyone steal bowling balls (duckpin balls) and old bowling shoes? i guess the shoes were really stinky because the bowling bag was left in front of the local bowling alley and i got them and the balls back, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVegas View Post
Guys... any where in the world there is crime... no matter how small or how big... common sense, says DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR .... even if you're in your own driveway or Aruba for that matter. Always lock your doors to your vehicle, park it in a well lit area, and park it where there is alot of people traffic....
Old Sunday, November 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM

PaulVegas is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome Sherry!!! I'm a huge fan of Aruba... I'll be there for 18 days in Dec. so pumped!! glad you got your balls back..lol!! Have a good night!!
Old Tuesday, November 9th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Mermaid is on a distinguished road

In May I rented from Ace/U Save car rental and our Yaris was broken into at Grapefield beach - the driver window smashed. Ace/U Save did not want us to report it to the police, but we did. They chargde us nearly $300.00 for the replacement, even though we had full cover. It seemed very suspicious to us and the worker there at the office said that they replace windows all the time. Would not recommend renting from them.
Old Monday, November 29th, 2010, 10:38 AM

95yj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
They chargde us nearly $300.00 for the replacement, even though we had full cover. It seemed very suspicious to us and the worker there at the office said that they replace windows all the time. Would not recommend renting from them.
This is how car rental agencies on all the islands through the Caribbean work, same as in the States. Insurance covers an accident, less the deductible. A broken window or stolen spare tire are less than the deductible therefore you are responsible. Nothing suspicious here.

The real difference is that in the States, you don't go to or park in bad neighborhoods. No such thing as a bad neighborhood on the island but since the islands are so small the few bad elements who will steal have access to anywhere instead of their own neighborhood.
Old Monday, November 29th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

I've been tracking this thread-----I have always rented a car while in Aruba. This year I will have my Yaris for two weeks out of the four. I will be very concerned about damage and/or someone stealing the car. Next year I will have to give serious thought about renting/not renting a car. This is sad because I always enjoy getting into the car, driving around, getting in and out of the car to take pictures, etc.---not to mention the trips to restaurants and grocery stores. Such is life nowadays.
Old Monday, November 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM

95yj is on a distinguished road

You can always rent a Jeep. The spare tire is locked on with a chain and padlock and there are no windows to break. If someone of questionable morality wants to check out the inside of your rental to find out that you didn't leave anything valuable in it, they will just unzip the windows, if you even have them in and you locked the doors. Most of the rental jeeps come with a Club for locking the steering.
Old Sunday, January 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM

skompa is on a distinguished road

Why dont you just leave the windows down and the doors unlocked? then nothing will be broken or removed from the car (of course you dont leave valuables in the car)
Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 04:58 PM

NYLady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skompa View Post
Why dont you just leave the windows down and the doors unlocked? then nothing will be broken or removed from the car (of course you dont leave valuables in the car)
The spare tire will be at risk...
Old Wednesday, January 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM

phillyboater is on a distinguished road

Most Visa and Mastercard provide rental coverage for almost any issue for no charge. Of course you must use their card to rent the car and decline additional insurance from the rental car company. American Express has a premium rental car coverage. I think the cost is $24.95 and covers even more. Check with your CC company. This way you have a car and some piece of mind.

As far as spare tire at risk. Inside truck release can be pulled with window open or with broken window. If they want to get in the trunnk they will. Best bet is to park in well lit and traveled areas and leave no valuables in the car.
Old Thursday, January 20th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

ARUBAISNICE - people and their needs change.

Dear Nice,

I took a look at all of your posts. Have you got anything nice to say?

Aruba as well as the rest of the planet is undergoing horrid times and the kind of "break-in" crime mentioned will increase for sure. No excuses - just harsh reality.

What I (as a local) do regarding my car.

I never leave anything of value in it.
I never lock the doors
I try to leave the windows down
I park in obvious places and not try to hide the car from the sun etc.
I am insured

It works for me.

So far - no problems.

be well
charles
Old Thursday, January 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

only one problem with your advice charles,

i know that my auto insurance at home (fireman's fund) is very reticent to pay out if your car was found to be unlocked. i honestly don't know if the insurance on my credit cards is any different but i know that state farm was the same way when we had them. i agree eliminating temptation is great but check with your insurance company first.

another piece of advice, if the car you rent is a yaris, the gas gauge shows how full the tank is even when the car is off. if the car you rent does that, never leave a full tank until you are returning the car. vandals who want your gas (we learned this the hard way), look thru the window at the gauge before they bother to cut the gas line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes View Post
ARUBAISNICE - people and their needs change.

Dear Nice,

I took a look at all of your posts. Have you got anything nice to say?

Aruba as well as the rest of the planet is undergoing horrid times and the kind of "break-in" crime mentioned will increase for sure. No excuses - just harsh reality.

What I (as a local) do regarding my car.

I never leave anything of value in it.
I never lock the doors
I try to leave the windows down
I park in obvious places and not try to hide the car from the sun etc.
I am insured

It works for me.

So far - no problems.

be well
charles
Old Friday, January 21st, 2011, 12:45 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

My car insurance covers any theft of any article in the car at any time anywhere.

That said, there is a problem in how I do it. If I am robbed, I have to produce a sales and purchase receipt for the item and it has to have my name as the customer that bought the stolen item.

Another small problem is that they do not cover items that were bought second hand, unless the receipt states it was purchased as an "Antique".
Old Thursday, February 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM

getaway is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Car break-in attempted at Eagle Beach

Sherry,
Thanks for the advice about the gas tank...I never would have thought of that...I'll have to be sure and remember it when we visit again. Seems like crime is on the increase all over and even in my hometown...the bitter cold has not slowed home burglaries down this winter...frightful!
Old Saturday, February 26th, 2011, 10:14 PM

Manzanita is on a distinguished road

We still love taking a bus, everywhere! One of the best ways to meet & greet locals & always have a fun time travelling in Aruba. It's convenient & cheap!