Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare & Vacation Properties > Aruba Timeshare and Vacation Property News

Aruba Timeshare and Vacation Property News Members and Timeshare companies can post news about their property.

Old Sunday, December 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM

freshair is on a distinguished road
Default Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program

We just attended our infosession on the new points- based ownership approach to vacations. For most properties in the US and Caribbean, it appears now that you buy points and not weeks. If you already own weeks at various properties, you still own the weeks but you have a point value assigned to your property that you can use towards a travel package that allows any length of stay, any day check-in, etc.

If you opt for this program, current cost is $695 to join and $199/yr thereafter. The $199 supposedly covers any Interval International fees and other fees imposed related to exchanges.

One example we were given was that rewards points used for a 6 day stay in Australia and airfare, would be 250,000 points. Under the Destinations program, a tour package for 16 days to Australia and New Zealand which includes meals for two adults would cost 9000 program points.

We own 2 weeks in Aruba with a minimum of 3000 points each. My understanding is that if I wanted to use the points towards Australia, I would be choosing to not use those 2 weeks but put the points towards the 9000.

You can buy points, initial minimum is 1500 @ a cost of $9.20/point or about $13,000.

Owners can receive an annual allotment of points, in our case, based on our properties. I can choose to use one home-base property in my traditional way, booking a week in my season, or I can use the points assigned towards something else.

There was something also mentioned about borrowing points, but I'm not sure how that works.

For those that like to travel to a lot of different places, it might provide a lot of flexilibility and options, to others who are satisfied with their home-base travel properties, it might not.

I want to hear from others,if you decided to join and why or if you didn't, what your thoughts are. If you've had experience using this new program, what are your thoughts about it and how did it work for you?

There's a lot more detail presented in the infosession and this is a partial overview of my understanding...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, December 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM

ilene13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshair View Post
We just attended our infosession on the new points- based ownership approach to vacations. For most properties in the US and Caribbean, it appears now that you buy points and not weeks. If you already own weeks at various properties, you still own the weeks but you have a point value assigned to your property that you can use towards a travel package that allows any length of stay, any day check-in, etc.

If you opt for this program, current cost is $695 to join and $199/yr thereafter. The $199 supposedly covers any Interval International fees and other fees imposed related to exchanges.

One example we were given was that rewards points used for a 6 day stay in Australia and airfare, would be 250,000 points. Under the Destinations program, a tour package for 16 days to Australia and New Zealand which includes meals for two adults would cost 9000 program points.

We own 2 weeks in Aruba with a minimum of 3000 points each. My understanding is that if I wanted to use the points towards Australia, I would be choosing to not use those 2 weeks but put the points towards the 9000.

You can buy points, initial minimum is 1500 @ a cost of $9.20/point or about $13,000.

Owners can receive an annual allotment of points, in our case, based on our properties. I can choose to use one home-base property in my traditional way, booking a week in my season, or I can use the points assigned towards something else.

There was something also mentioned about borrowing points, but I'm not sure how that works.

For those that like to travel to a lot of different places, it might provide a lot of flexilibility and options, to others who are satisfied with their home-base travel properties, it might not.

I want to hear from others,if you decided to join and why or if you didn't, what your thoughts are. If you've had experience using this new program, what are your thoughts about it and how did it work for you?

There's a lot more detail presented in the infosession and this is a partial overview of my understanding...
This has been discussed on TUG for months--I suggest you read the threads there.
Old Tuesday, December 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM

classiclincoln is on a distinguished road

I'd be very cautious about joining. There are some good conversations on TUG, however, I'll try to sum them up here for you.

If you own only Marriott resorts and want Marriott to Marriott exchanges, it could make sense. If you own non Marriott resorts (Ren Aruba is not considered a Marriott resort) or want to exchange to non Marriott properties, it might not make sense.

The $199 annual DC fee only covers Marriott to Marriott exchanges. If you own a non Marriott week, you still need to pay for a separate II account and will pay a fee.

The DC program gives you flexibility of shorter stays, however, you pay for this by the "skim". Marriott doesn't give you enough points for your home week to book a week there. For example, they may give you 3,000 points for your Surf Club week, but if you want to book it, you need 3,500 points.

I also think you may have mis understood (or were mis lead) regarding the points. The Australia trip may cost 250,000 Marriott Rewards Points, however, through the DC program, it probably costs 9,000 DC points, not Marriott Rewards points.

I believe you have more flexibility regarding banking weeks with the current system. I think you can carry over DC points for a year less than when you bank a week with II. Can't remember all the details....

Some seem to think that down the road, you won't be able to get a Marriott exchange. I personally don't think that will happen, because in order for that to happen, EVERY deeded week owner would have to join the DC program except me...that'll never happen. Also, while Marriott is a top notch operator (and I'm very loyal to them), they are not the only top notch operator and they don't have resorts everywhere.

We own 2 Marriott weeks (3 BR Gold Grande Vista and 2 BR Platinum Grande Chateau), along with the Ren Aruba. We pretty much never stay at our home resort (except for the Ren, which we just go this year), and for us, it didn't make sense to join. The $2,000 fee for the 2 weeks didn't give us enough benefit.

Hope this helps!

Stu
Old Wednesday, December 15th, 2010, 09:43 AM

freshair is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program

I have since seen the discussion on TUG, very beneficial. I too, am very skeptical that the so-called benefits of the destination points are any better than what I have now.

The 9000 points I stated before were for the DC points (for Australia) and not the rewards points.

Interestingly, after taking the "tour", Marriott offered a gold week for the cost of $1299 for a 1 br villa vs a 2 br villa ($1599) to be used in the gold season in the next 18 mos. I guess the question I have is why are they offering that and would I want to pay for a gold week when I can split my current one into 2 weeks??? Is that taking part of II's inventory??? Don't know.
Old Thursday, December 16th, 2010, 09:19 PM

iamromo is on a distinguished road

WHERE and or WHAT is TUG?

I can't use my reserved week (Aril 23-30) because of a change in my wife's school schedule and Marriott is trying to convince me to join Destinations...
Old Thursday, December 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

tug is timeshare users group Timeshare Users Group - The first and largest online community of timeshare owners providing timeshare resort reviews, timeshare ratings, FREE timeshare advice and FREE Timeshare Classified ads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamromo View Post
WHERE and or WHAT is TUG?

I can't use my reserved week (Aril 23-30) because of a change in my wife's school schedule and Marriott is trying to convince me to join Destinations...

Tags
destinations , flexilbility , options , points , program