Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Where to Stay

Where to Stay Questions, information, and reviews of mainstay as well as out-of-the-way hotels, apartments, and rental properties. To post a retail ad click here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Tuesday, January 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM
m1970 m1970 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 5th, 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7
m1970 is on a distinguished road
Default Renaissance Aruba hotel

We have reservations here and wonder if anyone has stayed there and has any tips etc. This is our first time to Aruba and just want to relax in the warm sun! We are staying here because of a great rate at this hotel so didn't really explore any other options
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old Tuesday, January 5th, 2010, 04:38 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

the ren is lovely. you have nice rooms, a nice pool and pool bar, you are surrounded by restaurants and a casino or two and you get to go to the private island for swimming. you made a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1970 View Post
We have reservations here and wonder if anyone has stayed there and has any tips etc. This is our first time to Aruba and just want to relax in the warm sun! We are staying here because of a great rate at this hotel so didn't really explore any other options
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old Tuesday, January 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM
m1970 m1970 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 5th, 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7
m1970 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

Thanks--the reviews on Trip Advisor were mostly horrible so I was concerned--glad there are a lot of things to walk to as we normally go to our timeshare at Atlantis and hardly ever leave the resort. Since my DH works for the corporate office we got a great rate!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
sarasmile sarasmile is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11th, 2010
Posts: 1
sarasmile is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

I'd be interested in first hand feedback as well !! The thought of getting boated out to an island is fantastic!! I looked at the video tours and pictures on the site and the place looks amazing. What kind of negative stuff was on the expedia site?? It's a Marriott Hotel isn't it? They normally have a good reputation...

Cheers
Sara
__________________
Looking for resources on good aruba hotels!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 08:44 PM
m1970 m1970 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 5th, 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7
m1970 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

Yes it is a Marriott--it was Trip Advisor--said it was old and not very well maintained--I will post when I return but this site and another I found have good reviews and the island sounds great!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 08:57 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

where in maryland are you? when do you leave for aruba?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1970 View Post
Yes it is a Marriott--it was Trip Advisor--said it was old and not very well maintained--I will post when I return but this site and another I found have good reviews and the island sounds great!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM
m1970 m1970 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 5th, 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7
m1970 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

I live in Olney, Md and we leave on Jan 30th for 6 nights!
Can't wait to get away from the cold weather here! I am counting the days till summer and using my house in Bethany!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 09:21 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

we are about 45 minutes from you. bethany is a great area! however, it isn't conducive to swimming in january, lol.

looking forward to your opinions on aruba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1970 View Post
I live in Olney, Md and we leave on Jan 30th for 6 nights!
Can't wait to get away from the cold weather here! I am counting the days till summer and using my house in Bethany!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM
m1970 m1970 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 5th, 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7
m1970 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

Sherry--you are so right--no swimming now--but we rent our house some in the summer and this year people are booking earlier than normal and I am convinced it is because it is SO cold here this year! July is almost fully rented.
I will post when I get back!
Glad I found this site--I am a destination expert on TA for Nassau so I looked there and found mostly negative stuff so this makes me feel a lot better!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

glad you are having a profitable summer so early, lol. much better to be in bethany than oc. too many people swarming thru.

honestly, so far i have only found one place i would never go back to on aruba. it was a little place far from tourist areas. i would easily go to the ren and may be staying at their timeshare side this august. yes, it is older but i know many people who have stayed there and the negatives were petty things while the positives were many. you will have the best of both worlds there. aruba and easy access to everything and a short boat ride to ren island to spend your relaxing days. i'll take that double whammy any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1970 View Post
Sherry--you are so right--no swimming now--but we rent our house some in the summer and this year people are booking earlier than normal and I am convinced it is because it is SO cold here this year! July is almost fully rented.
I will post when I get back!
Glad I found this site--I am a destination expert on TA for Nassau so I looked there and found mostly negative stuff so this makes me feel a lot better!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #11  
Old Friday, January 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM
m1970 m1970 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 5th, 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7
m1970 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

OK--now to muddy the water we can get the same rate at the Marriott Stellaris--it is beach front--all rooms with a balcony--both these things appeal to me--can anyone give me any pros/cons to this hotel--looks newly renovated
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old Friday, January 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

well, it totally depends on what you want out of a hotel. if you want to just lounge at a pool sipping drinks, that is a great place with a good casino. you have a distance to walk to the rest of the high rise area and the new mall but the activity is there along with restaurants. you do not have privileges to the lazy river so pool and ocean are your places to be. it is an excellent choice.

ren is in town. there's a bit of shopping, 2 casinos and again lots of restaurants. the difference is you have the pool but you have ren island which i hope to be going to this summer for the first time. everyone i know that goes loves it. if you are not staying at the ren it costs $75/person. if staying there it is free. it is also an excellent choice.

at this point i would say, get that coin out of your pocket and flip 2 out of 3, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1970 View Post
OK--now to muddy the water we can get the same rate at the Marriott Stellaris--it is beach front--all rooms with a balcony--both these things appeal to me--can anyone give me any pros/cons to this hotel--looks newly renovated
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old Saturday, January 16th, 2010, 10:20 AM
cleo cleo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 30th, 2007
Posts: 15
cleo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

If I had the choice I'd stay at the Marriott Stellaris. The private island is nice but I find it bothersome to take the boat over and back. Once your there, your there for the day unless you want to take the boat back and forth again. We like to go back to the room for drinks, snacks etc. Palm Beach, where Marriott Stellaris is located, has everything you'll need. Shops, restaurants, movie theater, casinos. There are upscale, mid-priced restaurants and fast food. Subs, pizza, burgers. If you're a beach walker at the Renn there is no stretch of beach to walk. On palm beach you can walk for miles. One year we got bumped and the airline put us up at the Renn. We got a room in the hotel not on the water side. I felt like I was in a hotel in NY city. The rooms on the ocean side, which are generally timeshares, would be better. Not sure which building you'd be in. Rooms at the Stellaris are spacious and very clean. Just my opinion:-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old Saturday, January 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
m1970 m1970 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 5th, 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7
m1970 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

Thanks for the info--I do like to walk on the beach and I hadn't factored that in to the decision so I guess right now I am leaning more towards the Marriott.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old Saturday, January 16th, 2010, 01:00 PM
lmccollom's Avatar
lmccollom lmccollom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 21st, 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 143
lmccollom is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

M1970 -

I have to weigh in on the Stellaris/Renaissance issue (HA - Sherry, you knew this was coming....). We have stayed at both (my husband works for Marriott as well), and they are both beautiful and in excellent condition. Both have been renovated in the last 3 or 4 years. The choice boils down to what you want to do. If you want quiet, peaceful relaxation time for you and your spouse, go to the Renaissance. I strongly recommend the Ocean Suite side, which is the one on the water (the Marina Hotel is usually cheaper but the rooms don't have views or balconies). If you are taking kids and want things to do, then go to the Stellaris. The spa is also much better at the Renaissance (the spa at the Stellaris has amazing people, amazing services, and great products, but it needs a good remodel). Both have casinos. The Stellaris is always busy, day and night, and there are people everywhere, many with kids. There are lots of things to do on the beach (parasailing, tubing, etc.), but the beach is packed too. IMHO, there is not enough beach space for the three Marriott properties that are there together, so the beach is just nuts. Both have wonderful restaurants, etc. The Stellaris is closer to the new big mall and many of the other restaurants on the high rise end of the island. The Renaissance private island is nice as well - yes, it is a pain to take the boat, but the ride is about six minutes and the beach there is so much quieter and peaceful than anything near the big Marriott properties.

Sorry for rambling....let me know if you have any other questions. I wish I was going with you on the 30th! (or with Elaine.......)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old Saturday, January 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

yeah, i knew word for word what you were going to say. i also agree that the four of us should be surprising elaine with a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmccollom View Post
M1970 -

I have to weigh in on the Stellaris/Renaissance issue (HA - Sherry, you knew this was coming....). We have stayed at both (my husband works for Marriott as well), and they are both beautiful and in excellent condition. Both have been renovated in the last 3 or 4 years. The choice boils down to what you want to do. If you want quiet, peaceful relaxation time for you and your spouse, go to the Renaissance. I strongly recommend the Ocean Suite side, which is the one on the water (the Marina Hotel is usually cheaper but the rooms don't have views or balconies). If you are taking kids and want things to do, then go to the Stellaris. The spa is also much better at the Renaissance (the spa at the Stellaris has amazing people, amazing services, and great products, but it needs a good remodel). Both have casinos. The Stellaris is always busy, day and night, and there are people everywhere, many with kids. There are lots of things to do on the beach (parasailing, tubing, etc.), but the beach is packed too. IMHO, there is not enough beach space for the three Marriott properties that are there together, so the beach is just nuts. Both have wonderful restaurants, etc. The Stellaris is closer to the new big mall and many of the other restaurants on the high rise end of the island. The Renaissance private island is nice as well - yes, it is a pain to take the boat, but the ride is about six minutes and the beach there is so much quieter and peaceful than anything near the big Marriott properties.

Sorry for rambling....let me know if you have any other questions. I wish I was going with you on the 30th! (or with Elaine.......)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old Saturday, January 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Elaine S's Avatar
Elaine S Elaine S is offline
Almost Aruban Moderator
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 6,954
Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

I can't weigh in since I know very little about either facility, but I sure as hell respect Lora's opinion..and, she makes perfect sense.

As to the "surprising Elaine with a visit," that would be the neatest thing in the world!
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old Saturday, January 16th, 2010, 09:47 PM
ArubaMary's Avatar
ArubaMary ArubaMary is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 7th, 2006
Posts: 879
ArubaMary is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renaissance Aruba hotel

M1970----you made the right decision----Marriott. Hope to see you in Aruba.
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com