Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM

Nee913 is on a distinguished road
Default 1st time to Aruba

My wife and I finally booked our 1st trip to Aruba through MCM Tours for July 18th-25th at the Westin! We are pumped and are looking forward to an awesome vacation. Any tips or advise for our trip would be welcomed. Can't wait until it is time to go.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 12:47 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: 1st time to Aruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nee913 View Post
My wife and I finally booked our 1st trip to Aruba through MCM Tours for July 18th-25th at the Westin! We are pumped and are looking forward to an awesome vacation. Any tips or advise for our trip would be welcomed. Can't wait until it is time to go.

How long are you staying? Give us a little info about yourselves. Do you enjoy great food, do you play golf, do you snorkel, do you scuba dive are you adventurous???? Blossoms at the Westin has great chinese food and a sushi bar if you are into that. I dont remember the name but there is a restaurant at the Westin by the beach and it has great burgers and salads with an ocean view. Great place for a relaxing lunch. Fishes and more is across the street and a little north of Westin. Several good restaurants in the other hotels and along the strip there. If you are staying for a week or more, rent a car and drive around the island. Go to baby beach and Charlies bar.
Old Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1st time to Aruba

bob, it's a week and i agree with everything you said especially renting a car for a day or two and exploring the island.

nee, it's a shame your scheduled for 3 weeks before we get there. we would have loved to show you the island. we still explore after 21 trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
How long are you staying? Give us a little info about yourselves. Do you enjoy great food, do you play golf, do you snorkel, do you scuba dive are you adventurous???? Blossoms at the Westin has great chinese food and a sushi bar if you are into that. I dont remember the name but there is a restaurant at the Westin by the beach and it has great burgers and salads with an ocean view. Great place for a relaxing lunch. Fishes and more is across the street and a little north of Westin. Several good restaurants in the other hotels and along the strip there. If you are staying for a week or more, rent a car and drive around the island. Go to baby beach and Charlies bar.
Old Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 03:58 PM

We mostly want to take in the sun and walk the beach during the day and enjoy some drinks. In the afternoon we want to check out some local shops and explore some. Night time we just want to check out a different restaurant each night. We are mostly laid back and want to get away from the stress of our busy lives and relax and not think for a week. Some Restaurants that we heard were a must are: el gaucho, madamn jennettes, and flying fishbone.
Old Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 05:00 PM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road

All I can say is, start saving your money now....for your next trip, because once you go, you'll probably be hooked. Hey, we all had a first trip. I never thought I'd want to go back to the same place, year after year. But here I am, 9 years later and have gone from 1 week to 3 weeks. Have fun!

Bobbie
Old Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
We mostly want to take in the sun and walk the beach during the day and enjoy some drinks. In the afternoon we want to check out some local shops and explore some. Night time we just want to check out a different restaurant each night. We are mostly laid back and want to get away from the stress of our busy lives and relax and not think for a week. Some Restaurants that we heard were a must are: el gaucho, madamn jennettes, and flying fishbone.
All great choices for dinner. Our favorite on the island is Madame Janettes. You will have a hard time narrowing down your dinner choices. There is a restaurant review section on this board that might be of some help. Pick out 6 or 7 of them that appeal to you and ask what the board thinks.
You will be in the right place to relax. Nice pool area and beach with lots of palapas on the beach. Can stroll down the beach or boardwalk to all the other hotels and beach bars on palm beach. You will be on the south end of palm beach with all the other hotels to your north.
Old Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

Hi, Nee. Bon bini to the board. Excellent choice for a vacation destination, by the way. I don't have too much to add but make sure you take some time to get away from the resorts and explore the interior and north shore of Aruba. The island is small enough that you can pretty much cover the whole (or most of the) place in a single day.
Old Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 10:04 PM

phillyboater is on a distinguished road

Two other suggestions for dinner. Cook's Restaurant around the corner from El Gaucho and Bingo (local food) on the road to Noord. Enjoy your trip and with what you said you are looking for you'll be hooked.
Old Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Administrator

yes philly! cooks is amazing. best red snapper i ever ate. bingo has what i consider the best burger on the island and amazing french onion soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyboater View Post
Two other suggestions for dinner. Cook's Restaurant around the corner from El Gaucho and Bingo (local food) on the road to Noord. Enjoy your trip and with what you said you are looking for you'll be hooked.
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 06:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Everything sounds great. There is nothing better than great food on vacation. Is there a lot of good places within walking distance from the Westin both shopping and food?
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

yes there is. you are close to everything in the high rise. the only thing not there is a grocery and they do have convenience stores at all of the hotels and timeshares so you can get pretty much anything you need.

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. Everything sounds great. There is nothing better than great food on vacation. Is there a lot of good places within walking distance from the Westin both shopping and food?
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM

arubasurfclubcanada is on a distinguished road

We went for the 1st to Aruba in Jan 2005, ended up buying 2 weeks at the Marriott Surf Club, which can be converted into 4 weeks. We've been there 9 times since and were going back on March7th for 2 weeks>

My wife and I love Trattoria Da Vittorio's, it's in fron of the Hyatt. Eat outside with the nice romantic italian music, some nice wine, can't go wrong. I have become good friends with the host Maurizio. All of there food is imported from Italy via KLM, twice a week....

Jim
arubasurfclub@yahoo.ca
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Do we need to worry about dress codes for any of the restaurants? When we went on our honeymoon to the Bahamas we didn't bring the right attire for some of the restaurants. For me I like to wear shorts, sandals, and a polo shirt or nice t shirt. My wife will like to wear a causal dress (nothing fancy) or shorts.
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Administrator

very few restaurants have any sort of dress code. however, i always tell people to dress as you would at home to go to dinner. if you are going to a fancier place, dress shorts or slacks with a nice shirt/polo for men and slacks or a casual dress for women. there is absolutely no place that requires ties or jackets or fancy clothing.

Quote:
Do we need to worry about dress codes for any of the restaurants? When we went on our honeymoon to the Bahamas we didn't bring the right attire for some of the restaurants. For me I like to wear shorts, sandals, and a polo shirt or nice t shirt. My wife will like to wear a causal dress (nothing fancy) or shorts.
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Bermudas and polos are fine for almost all the restaurants including El Gaucho and Madame Janettes. Casual dresses, shorts or casual slacks for women. There are 1 or 2 restaurants that wont let you sit inside without slacks. I believe those are Le Dome and the French restaurant downtown. There may be others but I have not been to them. I took a sports coat and tie on our first trip to Aruba because like you, we had been to the Bahamas and didnt have them with us. I never wore it and I havnt taken one since.