Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Saturday, June 20th, 2009, 06:57 PM

conigs139 is on a distinguished road
Default Is all-inclusive the way to go??

Hello,

I am planning a trip Aruba in September for my Honeymoon! I have been torn on doing all-inclusive. I keep hearing what great places there are to eat and drink in Aruba. Any advice would be great. We were looking at the Amsterdam or Bucuti. If we did AI, most likely the Divi.

Thanks for your help
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, June 20th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is all-inclusive the way to go??

Congratulations on the nuptuals and, may I add, you have made a great choice for your honeymoon destination. My preference is not to go AI. Too many great restaurants that you will miss out on plus I always am leery that AI folks will fall into a comfortable rut and never leave their resort. That would be a shame because the island away from the resorts is worth a look/see.

But there are a lot of people that feel strongly in favor of AI. Maybe on one's honeymoon, the idea of staying close to the nest has a special appeal. At the end of the day, it really comes down to personal preference.
Old Saturday, June 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

as charlie said, there are many opinions on this. so far i prefer not doing all inclusive because of the restaurants. however, i would certainly pick the divi if i was doing the AI.

for a honeymoon that was not AI, although i really love amsterdam manor and would never balk at going there, i would pick the bucuti which in my opinion is the top small hotel on the island. it is just so peaceful, recently updated, bigger rooms, rarely a child on premises, little flags at your beach chair to flag a waitress for drinks or food, and lots of space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conigs139 View Post
Hello,

I am planning a trip Aruba in September for my Honeymoon! I have been torn on doing all-inclusive. I keep hearing what great places there are to eat and drink in Aruba. Any advice would be great. We were looking at the Amsterdam or Bucuti. If we did AI, most likely the Divi.

Thanks for your help
Mike
Old Sunday, June 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM

Thanks for the help! I guess my biggest fear is spending $$$$ on drinks! We always seem to get our money's worth on vacation.
Old Sunday, June 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM
Aruba Expert

tico is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for your help
Mike
We have stayed at the Divi for many years and are very happy with the place, but we have also gone outside to a few of the resturants. The Divi does have a great honeymoon pakage also
Tico & Miss Judy
Old Sunday, June 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. I echo Charlie in the respect that Aruba is perfect for a honeymoon. It is only my opinion but I would never choose all-inclusive. I have been going to Aruba since 1985 and stay at Aruba Beach Club. My unit is an efficiency (studio) with a small kitchen. Therefore I can shop for the basics---have a light breakfast and lunch and go to one of the marvelous restaurants on the island. You will never enjoy meals such as you will experience in Aruba. I would much prefer to have a list of restaurants outside your resort rather than A.I. I know many people who choose A.I. and they tend to stay at their resort because they have paid for it. I love the freedom to go where I want, when I want. You will, however, love Aruba I am sure---and will return many times in the future. Good luck.
Mary
Old Sunday, June 21st, 2009, 05:52 PM
Aruba Expert

Dogwriter is on a distinguished road

Ask yourself if, on your honeymoon, you want a kitchen, shopping and cooking. If not, all-inclusive works well. Probably will have plenty of time for those chores when you get home.

"Vacation is what you make of it, what you take from it and what you leave behind."
Old Sunday, June 21st, 2009, 11:50 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Is all-inclusive the way to go??

We do not go AI to Aruba. Many fine restaurants and bars available for all meals. Some people think that if you stay in a condo with a kitchen that you are cooking all the time. Not even close. Just bagels, fruit and coffee for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch for us. Cold drinks at hand without leaving the room. But that is for another thread. If I were going to go somewhere other than Aruba, I would consider AI.
Sherry suggested the Bucuti for your honeymoon and I agree with her. There are several good restaurants within walking distance and it has the best beach on the island imho. Never crowded. Plenty of palapas and beach service.
Congrats on the wedding.
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM
Aruba Expert

Know yourself. Some folks love the ease of A-I. RIU and Occidental are in the style you find all over the Caribbean and Mexico. Divi and Tam are more Spartan. You do not have to go A-I in Aruba, but many choose to. We have done both and have recently purchased at CDM where it is not all-inclusive. Frankly, we wish it was as we are not foodies and don't feel that the food on Aruba is extraordinary or unique enough to get that excited about.
Either way, you will love Aruba. Congrats!

"Vacation is what you make of it, what you take from it and what you leave behind."
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 06:34 AM

Helmut is on a distinguished road

Dining out is a pretty subjective experience. But IMHO, I stayed at the Accidental a few years ago and had to get the mandatory A/I. As someone who dines out around 4 nights a week all year I found the food to be cafeteria grade, not that other people did not enjoy it. I think stand-alone restaurants have a greater incentive to provide a decent meal than all-inclusives. Although some offer drink plans which may work out.
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Dining out is a pretty subjective experience. But IMHO, I stayed at the Accidental a few years ago and had to get the mandatory A/I. As someone who dines out around 4 nights a week all year I found the food to be cafeteria grade, not that other people did not enjoy it. I think stand-alone restaurants have a greater incentive to provide a decent meal than all-inclusives. Although some offer drink plans which may work out.
I pretty much agree, except our stay at the Occidental was a little more positive. Drinks alone can get really expensive and a drink plan, which we used at the Ren one year, was a good deal. Deciding where to eat, making reservations and getting there, can be a pain to some and an adventure for others.

Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 08:42 AM

jasejase is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with everyone... There are some EXCELLENT restaurants on that island! and you should definetly make your way to a few of them.

We always stay AI... its a personal preference (at the divi), and we always hunt for a great deal, so we fell ok with eating out about twice during our week stay for dinner... and another two times or so for lunch.

The food at the divi in our opinion is pretty good. everything isnt perfect, but where is it always perfect?!

The ai feature just appeals to us personally... we love the idea that if we want a snack an hour after lunch - we get one. we dont ever have to factor that cost / benefit issue into the decision.

if we want a drink, we get one. if we want to try something new - we do. it truly lets us explore some new options and go about the vaca in a relaxed mindset, knowing everything is already paid for... We spend alot of time on the beach, and drinks all day can be pricey (upwards of $8 a pop)... so if we did 5 drinks a day, each.. thats $80 right there. Im sure the cost would still work out in our favor if we didnt do AI - but like i said, for us - it adds a more relaxing aspect to the trip.

there's no way to stay in aruba!
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasejase View Post
I totally agree with everyone... There are some EXCELLENT restaurants on that island! and you should definetly make your way to a few of them.

We always stay AI... its a personal preference (at the divi), and we always hunt for a great deal, so we fell ok with eating out about twice during our week stay for dinner... and another two times or so for lunch.

The food at the divi in our opinion is pretty good. everything isnt perfect, but where is it always perfect?!

The ai feature just appeals to us personally... we love the idea that if we want a snack an hour after lunch - we get one. we dont ever have to factor that cost / benefit issue into the decision.

if we want a drink, we get one. if we want to try something new - we do. it truly lets us explore some new options and go about the vaca in a relaxed mindset, knowing everything is already paid for... We spend alot of time on the beach, and drinks all day can be pricey (upwards of $8 a pop)... so if we did 5 drinks a day, each.. thats $80 right there. Im sure the cost would still work out in our favor if we didnt do AI - but like i said, for us - it adds a more relaxing aspect to the trip.

there's no way to stay in aruba!
Wow, 5 drinks a day. We are teatotalers to you guys and im sure there are plenty of boarders that think you dont drink much. That is the one advantage I can see for going AI. If you drink a lot it will save you money. Linda will have 1 or 2 a day and I will have 2 or 3 a day at happy hour mostly so no advantage for us.
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator

bob, don't forget beverages include sodas and iced tea along with other non alcoholic beverages. hubby likes his colas and iced tea and i live on club soda. kills me to spend $3-5 on bubbled water.

also, people somehow got to the conversation of going to a timeshare vs AI. i think this poster is more interested in a nice hotel room and a relaxed feel. i would never cook meals on my honeymoon. that is a part of marriage that can wait for the reality of home, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
Wow, 5 drinks a day. We are teatotalers to you guys and im sure there are plenty of boarders that think you dont drink much. That is the one advantage I can see for going AI. If you drink a lot it will save you money. Linda will have 1 or 2 a day and I will have 2 or 3 a day at happy hour mostly so no advantage for us.
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road

I have mixed emotions about going AI or not... The good thing is that if you go AI, nothing precludes you from going off "campus" to try a restaurant should you want to. I think it depends on what your personal likes and dislikes are, and how long you're staying.

There are many nights I don't feel like going out, and would rather stay on the beach late, and watch the sunset... those nights I usually wind up eating (not cooking) something in my unit, and at some point may go out later in the evening for coffee, a few drinks and dessert. However, I'm there for a month, and I get tired of eating out.

As for drinking ~ I keep a stash in my unit, and since my timeshare's on the beach, it's not a problem running up and pouring myself something to "quench my thirst." I pour a lot!!

If I were going to Aruba to honeymoon, I'd probably stay at the Buccuti, and as others have said, there are a multitude of places to eat nearby within walking distance. I'd keep some snacks and booze in the room, and just do what I wanted whenever I wanted to .... no schedule. To me, that's what a vacation is all about.
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 12:46 PM

Helmut is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed the Hotel itself immensely as well as the different bars. I would return again but rent from someone who had non-mandatory A/I, I just didn't enjoy the food, but my second week was at Costa Linda so I was able to enjoy the usual haunts.arty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwriter View Post
I pretty much agree, except our stay at the Occidental was a little more positive. Drinks alone can get really expensive and a drink plan, which we used at the Ren one year, was a good deal. Deciding where to eat, making reservations and getting there, can be a pain to some and an adventure for others.
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 12:51 PM

I should have clarified the 5 drinks a day... we're not talking 5 scotches a day here... But nonetheless, 5 'alcoholic' drinks on a long beach day, but most of those are frozen drinks, which dont have a ton of alcohol in them. maybe a beer here and there.

I never drink frozen drinks... EXCEPT on vaca. I must say, im actually addicted to pink panthers at the divi! best ever!

a drink spaced out every 90 minutes or so (in addition to about 10 diet cokes and waters a day) doesnt really do much damage!

you guys arent planning an intervention are you!??

LOL
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator

ok, what's a pink panther? i'm hooked on brown ladies.

Quote:
I should have clarified the 5 drinks a day... we're not talking 5 scotches a day here... But nonetheless, 5 'alcoholic' drinks on a long beach day, but most of those are frozen drinks, which dont have a ton of alcohol in them. maybe a beer here and there.

I never drink frozen drinks... EXCEPT on vaca. I must say, im actually addicted to pink panthers at the divi! best ever!

a drink spaced out every 90 minutes or so (in addition to about 10 diet cokes and waters a day) doesnt really do much damage!

you guys arent planning an intervention are you!??

LOL
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Is all-inclusive the way to go??

Personally for me there are two reasons why I dislike AI....first, if I travel internationally I want to experience the local beat of the island and it's foods. Ariba has INCREDIBLE restaurants, some of the very best I have been into in my 22 caribbean island hopping days. And the second reason which is related to the first, if I travel internationally I DO NOT want to spend the week laying next to fellow Americans, nothing personal, I just get my fill of them 50 weeks out of the year !!!! LOL. I like to become more involved with the locals in their restaurants, stores and on the beaches that "they frequent" they always know the BEST spots.

Whichever one you choose only you two know for sure what will work for you.....but if you do AI, make it a point to spend time with some Arubans you meet, they love to meet new people, they are the friendliest people you will ever meet and trust me if you go to Aruba again and bump into them WILL REMEMBER YOU !!! They really are the most incredible hosts I have ever met in ANY COUNTRY !

Congrats by the way !
Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 03:17 PM

Pink Panther:

1 oz. Amaretto
2 oz. Ponche Crema (Light Cream)
1 tsp. Grenadine red
oz. Vodka

It's delicious, and not very alcoholic at all. This drink (as do some of the others) vary based on the bartender making them. Each trip, i immediately pinpoint the bartenders that make it 'right'... and frequent that bar.

Then if anyone asks about my pink, frozen cocktail - i immediately mumble something about my wife loving them, and I order a beer... and a shot of whiskey...

Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator

hahahaha... love it. macho drinks rule for men.

Quote:
Pink Panther:

1 oz. Amaretto
2 oz. Ponche Crema (Light Cream)
1 tsp. Grenadine red
oz. Vodka

It's delicious, and not very alcoholic at all. This drink (as do some of the others) vary based on the bartender making them. Each trip, i immediately pinpoint the bartenders that make it 'right'... and frequent that bar.

Then if anyone asks about my pink, frozen cocktail - i immediately mumble something about my wife loving them, and I order a beer... and a shot of whiskey...

Old Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 03:43 PM

TJMadhouse is on a distinguished road

My vote is for an AI.

We have stayed at the Tamarijn (at least) 15 times, and like it. I have also stayed at some of the non AI's and some of the time shares, so I think I have at least a small basis for a comparison.

That being said:
If you think that you are the type of person that will feel "TRAPPED" or will feel that you HAVE TO STAY ON SITE, or somehow feel that your Not getting money's worth when you go off site, then I would advise you to do a NON AI. You really wouldn't enjoy an AI on Aruba. Personally we don't have any of these issuses and enjoy the AI option and still go out whenever and where ever I want...lunch, dinner, breakfast whatever and whenever....IMO that's what a vacation is for. As already noted there are many nice restaurants, as well as many nice beaches to visit. Seeing everything in a week is impossible, but you really don't want to miss it all.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, steering wheel in one hand, Martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "Haaa Wooo, what a ride!!!"
Old Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM

arubasurfclubcanada is on a distinguished road

I would not recommend All inclusive. There are too many nice restaurants that you need to go to, especially on your honeymoon. I would recommend all inclusive when you bring your young kids back in 5 years. It is wonderful to walk at night , and especially to tthe restaurant and back to your hotel.

Have Fun....

Jim
arubasurfclub@yahoo.ca
Old Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Aruba Expert

Ron B is on a distinguished road

Having done a little of both. I went AI for my 1st trip to Aruba way back in 98 at the Tam then in 2002 I had the breakfast and dinner option at Manchebo Beach then in 2003 I stayed at CDM that was for only 4 days I really don't have a major preference. I will say this.

In these tough economic times I like many others want to get the most bang for the buck. If I find that going AI is worth it for me and Yes I do like to sample many of those frozen aruba drinks then I will do AI in a heartbeat. The food at the tam was good. I didn't see any complainers for any of the breakfast, lunch, or dinners that I ate there . And Yes I was not tied down to my resort as I did go to other resturants outside of the resort. The Waterfront Crabhouse and the once great but no longer there Bononononos come to mind during that time. I did not in any way feel I was wasting money by doing this. The same as Manchebo Beach . I mean you get to eat at The French SteakHouse every nite which was exactly what I wanted . I got to try many of there dishes Grouper , and steak being some of the great meals I had there. I went to the Pega ,Pega bar to get my lunch which most of the time all I wanted to eat was either hamburger and fries or chicken and fries I was more into the drinking getting my buzz on.

When I went to CDM I ate out but even then there were no major places that I wanted to go to.

See for me my most important thing when I travel is not the food it's the atmosphere that I am around or in the case of Aruba my view from my room.In the case of the Tam well since that is all Oceanfront that is what I want most of all . At Manchebo beach again it is my beachfront room where I can walk out of my bay window and step on sand in 5 steps that is what I want . Same at CDM. That is my only concern not where I eat. Now I like to eat good food just like any one else but what decides for me weather to go AI or not is how much money I take on the trip.

Last edited by Ron B; Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old Friday, June 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Jaydee is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Is all-inclusive the way to go??

Congratulations!
My husband and I have been going to Aruba for the last 15+ years and have stayed at either the Tam or the Divi--we love the AI- no headaches of where to we go for breakfast, lunch, or dinner-the meals there we find are find as well as the snacks and drinks. You can also try some of the restuarants if you want a change and I think you will find them good--but--expensive , especially the drinks, if you go to the Divi you have a choice of eating and drinking at both the Divi and the Tam. The Tam serves snacks(ie) pizza, sandwiches, ff etc. till late at late--we love it. the restuarants in Aruba a fine but not cheap and the drinks are expensive-so it all depends on your pocketbook-
What ever you decide--you will, I am sure have a wonderful time!

Jaydee
Old Saturday, June 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM

getaway is on a distinguished road

Mike,
We have been to Aruba 4 times....and hoping for a 5th trip in September.
We have always done AI...first time at the Tam, second time at the Holiday and the last two trips were to the Riu. Last October I surprised my husband with the Riu.....he thought we were staying at the Holiday Inn. For us, AI works great....and we have also eaten away from the resorts either for dinner or lunches.
The time we were at the Holiday Inn, I tried to keep a close tally on what we would have been spending if we had not done AI......just drinks alone would have been outrageous, because they are not cheap, and I couldn't believe how much we saved by doing AI.
I have to say, the food at the Riu is excellent and such a variety. There isn't anything they leave you wanting for....especially with the 4 speciality restaurants.
Some nights we were just too tired to venture out after daily activities. One thing I really liked is we would have coffee and orange juice each morning from room service and sit out on our balcony. Then we would go to breakfast.
Whatever you decide, good luck on your upcoming wedding and I know you will enjoy Aruba.
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM

TJMadhouse is on a distinguished road

Just to clarify one thing....In the past if you stayed at the Divi you could use that Tamarijn facilities, but if you stayed at the Tam you had to BUY an upgrade (Called Mega) to use the Divi facilities. Presently regardless of what resort you stay (the Tam or the Divi) you can use the other resorts facilities without an upgrade.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, steering wheel in one hand, Martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "Haaa Wooo, what a ride!!!"
Old Saturday, July 18th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road

We do a combination of both. In Dec. We will be staying in a studio. We got 16 nights for our 1 bedroom TS we own, so it is about $60. a night including a portion of our initial TS price ($2,000 for 38 weeks), RCI fee and exchange fee. If we do the AI ($95. p.p. per day curently) it comes out to $250 per night, cheap in our book considering it's New Year's and we can use the Divi, Tam, Mulligan's and Sea Breeze. We normally get fruit for breakfast from one of the buffets and will get a shrimp caesar, share a pizza or burger for lunch, and get something for dinner. We will then hit the Divi for drinks and when going back to the room we will stop at Mulligan's for dessert and a martini. Bigger room and the AI. We do not do the AI all days we are there, but like the option. We love being able to use the Village restaurants.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn AI for a week starting 2/28, it's under $200. a night. It's hard to get a room for that price, so AI is definately worth it.

A lot depends on if you are also on the same schedule. My husband and I wake up at different times and I like being able to just go and get something fast and he will join me after. We also often want lunch at different times, so AI works well.

Old Friday, August 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM

SunSeeker is on a distinguished road

In my opinion All Inclusive is not the way to go. There are just too many nice restaurants represented at this island.
Once in the 2 years we go to Egypt for scuba diving. Egypt is just one big desert and it is not safe to leave the resort at your own. So when we go to Egypt we always go All Inclusive.
When we go to Aruba we try as many different restaurants. There are some restaurants we visit every time. Madame Janette, Flying Fishbone and Texas de Brazil. When you go All Inclusive you hardly leave your hotel because you have all the facilities over there.
Old Monday, August 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Sunny Beaches is on a distinguished road

If your staying at the Divi, you have 10 restaurant's to choose from between the Divi & Tam. Being Honeymooners Windows on Aruba is also a choice ($30 pp) across the street. The shuttle will take you there(staff will call for return shuttle). Beautiful sunset views, classy restaurant, food and service wonderful. Congrats!
Old Monday, August 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Aruba Expert

Cooks Restaurant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
ok, what's a pink panther? i'm hooked on brown ladies.
How was the Brown Lady this time ???
Old Monday, August 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Administrator

it was wonderful! so was the wine, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooks Restaurant View Post
How was the Brown Lady this time ???
Old Sunday, August 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM

mambo is on a distinguished road

No one hasn't mentioned the difference in cost, AI versus not going AI. It
probably cost an additional 1000 bucks or more for going AI for one week, depending on where you are staying. My wife and I go for two weeks and probably don't spend that much total for all our drinks and meals and we eat at some very nice restaurants, but then again we don't eat out every single night, so that might be a factor when considering AI or not. We do get things for breakfast and lunch but even that doesn't cost much. There are just to many great restaurants to experience in Aruba and would never consider going AI. Again if you don't want the hassle of going out and find it easier that everything is in one place then then AI is the way to go.
Old Sunday, August 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM

getaway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambo View Post
probably cost an additional 1000 bucks or more for going AI for one week, depending on where you are staying. My wife and I go for two weeks and probably don't spend that much total for all our drinks and meals and we eat at some very nice restaurants, but then again we don't eat out every single night, so that might be a factor when considering AI or not. We do get things for breakfast and lunch but even that doesn't cost much. There are just to many great restaurants to experience in Aruba and would never consider going AI. Again if you don't want the hassle of going out and find it easier that everything is in one place then then AI is the way to go.
I did the numbers back in '06 when we stayed at the Holiday Inn.....the prices were on the menu and then I tried to keep track of drinks.....figure $5.00 for a beer and $8.00 for mixed drinks.....plus we did go out but only one night at MJ's which cost us around $120.00....each time we've gone the AI has been a much better deal. Everyone is different.....there are evenings we are too tired and even getting ready to go out seems to be a chore. Darn, I wish I would have saved those figures I'd written down. But then....we also budget our vacations.....I will say, if we had nasty food at an AI, we definitely would not do it again.
Old Sunday, August 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM

Sunny Beaches is on a distinguished road

Honeymoon no cooking AI at the Divi or the Tam, you have 10 restaurants and also Windows on Aruba at 30 pp off main menu, great views and food,service. Drinks 4 to 7$ depending on finances that could go over budget. Congrats & you will return.
Old Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009, 12:04 AM

johntheott is on a distinguished road

My wife and I like the convenience of AI! We have done it both ways over the last 17 years so far exclusively at the Divi properties and prefer the AI. Both the Divi and Tam have received extensive upgrades so are now in great condition.

On a honeymoon it's a relief to be free of the obligation of making reservations, paying for cabs or a rental car, getting there on time, etc., etc. At the Divi/Tam, there is nightly entertainment and dancing to live music or DJ until 11:00 PM or later. The buffet meals are good and substantial and the restaurants, (by reservation,) give you a fairly wide choice of cuisine. And there is pizza and/or sandwiches available at the snack bars which are usually the last to close at 1:00 AM

You usually find more than a few honeymoon couples at the Divi/Tam and they seem to find each other and join up!

We like the convenience and still manage to meet up with friends we've made over the years to go out to a restaurant once or twice. We don't feel 'locked in', in fact, we feel free to do what we want when we want!!

"Don't look back, What ever is chasing you may be catching up!"

Satchel Paige
Old Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambo View Post
The AI cost at occidental Grand is $175 per day per person and I can tell you for a fact that we can eat and drink at any of our favorite restaurants for a lot less than that.Typical eat out day- Breakfast at Matthews $6.00 each. Lunch At The Paddock $9.00 each. Dinner at Madame Janettes $20.00-$39 each depending on selection. The breakfast comes with coffee or tea. Take a lot of drinks to reach any where near the cost of AI.
Old Thursday, September 3rd, 2009, 05:22 AM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
The AI cost at occidental Grand is $175 per day per person and I can tell you for a fact that we can eat and drink at any of our favorite restaurants for a lot less than that.Typical eat out day- Breakfast at Matthews $6.00 each. Lunch At The Paddock $9.00 each. Dinner at Madame Janettes $20.00-$39 each depending on selection. The breakfast comes with coffee or tea. Take a lot of drinks to reach any where near the cost of AI.
Is that just food & drink for the time share people or is it their package rate? If it's just food & booze, I'd say it's way out of line.

Your meal figures are much lower than ours, but there's no way we spend $350/day for food & beverages...............

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Old Thursday, September 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droykelly View Post
Is that just food & drink for the time share people or is it their package rate? If it's just food & booze, I'd say it's way out of line.

Your meal figures are much lower than ours, but there's no way we spend $350/day for food & beverages...............
RCI has the OC for trade all the time. It says AI mandatory and lists the fee for AI at $175 per person per day so thats just for food and drinks. Still have to pay for the trade and taxes etc. I dont know what the others charge for AI, but I have checked rates for a week at Divi and the Tam and it is quite high, to us, as we can usually get a pretty good rate for a timeshare and a few extra days. Last May we stayed at the Reaissance suites for a week in a 1 br with ocean view for $445.00(Ebay) plus taxes. We stayed an extra night at Divi village for $105 and 4 nights at Westin for $129 a night(hot wire). I think it was around $400 a day for 1 week at Divi beach AI. Might have been more.
Old Thursday, September 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM

Talking Re: Is all-inclusive the way to go??

Thanks for all the advice. We decided to stay at the Amsterdam Manor booking a one bedroom suite. With that said, after crunching the numbers, we saved close to $250 per day from not choosing the Riu and OG. That's a nice chunk of change to spend as we seem fit. Granted its our honeymoon and I really don't see us pinching pennies.
Old Thursday, September 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. We decided to stay at the Amsterdam Manor booking a one bedroom suite. With that said, after crunching the numbers, we saved close to $250 per day from not choosing the Riu and OG. That's a nice chunk of change to spend as we seem fit. Granted its our honeymoon and I really don't see us pinching pennies.
Congratulations on the wedding. You dont have to pennypinch with that extra money. You can celebrate at some very nice places. Matthews is at the Casa Del Mar resort. It is a great place to have breakfast and dinner. Right on the beach. Very reasonable for breakfast. CDM is behind the Alhambra casino not far from Amsterdam manor. Another of our favorites is just down the street from AM. It is Chalet Suisse. Very good food. Very good service.
Old Friday, September 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM

Cathy&Jim is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

We too honeymooned in Aruba 10 years ago and have been back 14 times since. So, you're off to a great start!

Your post has generated a lot of responses and all have great points of views so I guess I will add in my two cents.

For us, we go AI. Would I love to dine out in Aruba? You betcha! Can I afford it? Nope! We do try and go out on our last night there as a treat though. To get to Aruba from Canada, it is cheaper to fly on a package deal which is chartered and offers AI. So, that's what we have done. We normally stay at the Holiday Inn which has an AI plan but I won't lie when I say it's not the best but we've never starved there and a drink is a drink

Last April we stayed at the Rui. Now that was fantastic! I really enjoyed the food there! I only wish we could have gotten the same deal we did then for this October but they wanted over $3,000 pp!

We personally do not mind AI and maybe that is because if we want to travel to Aruba twice a year, we have to go that route financially. I do love that I can sample all the drinks on the menu, be brave trying new food and snacks..... all without taking out my wallet. It is sort of guilt free

As others mentioned, it's your honeymoon, so do what will make you happy! Go big and no matter what you decide, you will have a fantastic time!

I wish you both as much happiness as we have had since honeymooning in Aruba! This October will be our 15th visit since being married and Aruba makes us keep the love (sappy, I know!).
Old Friday, September 4th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Administrator

awwww... that last line was soooooo lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Jim View Post
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

We too honeymooned in Aruba 10 years ago and have been back 14 times since. So, you're off to a great start!

Your post has generated a lot of responses and all have great points of views so I guess I will add in my two cents.

For us, we go AI. Would I love to dine out in Aruba? You betcha! Can I afford it? Nope! We do try and go out on our last night there as a treat though. To get to Aruba from Canada, it is cheaper to fly on a package deal which is chartered and offers AI. So, that's what we have done. We normally stay at the Holiday Inn which has an AI plan but I won't lie when I say it's not the best but we've never starved there and a drink is a drink

Last April we stayed at the Rui. Now that was fantastic! I really enjoyed the food there! I only wish we could have gotten the same deal we did then for this October but they wanted over $3,000 pp!

We personally do not mind AI and maybe that is because if we want to travel to Aruba twice a year, we have to go that route financially. I do love that I can sample all the drinks on the menu, be brave trying new food and snacks..... all without taking out my wallet. It is sort of guilt free

As others mentioned, it's your honeymoon, so do what will make you happy! Go big and no matter what you decide, you will have a fantastic time!

I wish you both as much happiness as we have had since honeymooning in Aruba! This October will be our 15th visit since being married and Aruba makes us keep the love (sappy, I know!).
Old Saturday, September 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

We are seniors now and we were older than your average honeymooners.
But we're celebrating #21 in Aruba this month and have been back every year for our anniversary. Hoping for several more.
We do not do AI although we stayed at the Tam when it was still a hotel on that first visit.
Bought a timeshare on our honeymoon, added another week in 1990 and a third week in 2005.