Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Closed Thread

Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Aruba Expert

Ice Princess is on a distinguished road
Default Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenchi
Is this John P.Coale a Scientology lawyer?
I can't find anything about him / the story on the Court Tv website.
Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 07:04 PM

nelson from New York is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine
anngie - Let's give Nelson a chance to explain, before you get so upset. Nelson, did you see her yourself or did you hear that from other people?
Hi guys having a good time hear but unfortunatly I have to leave back to New York tomorrow. Regarding the Twitty sighting yes I saw her with my own eyes, but again as some people said before she cant just sit there with just 4 walls around her. You need some disstraccion if not you would just go insane.

Also she got from this Aruban artist yesterday I saw it on the news this beautiful airbrushed painting of Natalee. She got very emotional. I spoke to some locals on the island regarding this case verybody has the same feelings regarding this case and they are all sympathetic with the Twitty,s and want a closure and move on with life. What really the people are upset about is how the media portrait the island and its people to be. No base what so ever not even close to the thruth. Everybody is fedup with the media and there bashing of the system, the government and calling for a boycott from some people.

But still they are not broken because of this because they know that this was an isolated case and nothing like this has never happened before, eventhough may not believe this, but they live here and life goes on. For the millions that visit the island they all know better. Alot of people had been intervieuwed by the local media and they all fel in love with the island and had only positive thing to say and that they never felt so safe before anywhere else.

This is also a boost for the locals moral after all the bashing. Tourism is only going up, which is good and the locals are only becoming more welcoming then ever before, kuddos to everyone for that only shows the heart of the Arubans which never let me down.

Well will go on enjoying my last night here, but not the last!!!.
Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenchi
Is this John P.Coale a Scientology lawyer?
I just read an article which seems similar to this, it was published in a German newspaper, you can find it in the www.aruba.com website under Natalee site. Sounds very intresting!!.
Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Aruba Expert

Have a few drinks for me. Have a great last night!
Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Wow Nelson, that was a quick trip!!! Have a safe flight back... and then we want to hear everything!!
Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Aruba Expert

blenchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson from New York
I just read an article which seems similar to this, it was published in a German newspaper, you can find it in the www.aruba.com website under Natalee site. Sounds very intresting!!.
I am not a member so can`t read the story but on the internet I read that he is a member of the scientology church?
Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
I can't find what he is talking about. Is it on the BB? What article is he talking about the one from Pat Hurley, or the one pgsoder talked about?
Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Nelson - TOTALLY off topic, but if you check in again tonight- I am heading for dinner in your neighborhood tomorrow - a place called Pomaire that has Chlilean cuisine. If you see this before you leave - it is good? I've read good reviews! oh - it is on 46th between 9th and 10th! Thanks!

Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Bob Costas refused to cover Larry King's show Thursday night:

http://www.optonline.net/Entertainme...cle%3D15566896

Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

Elaine, very well said - hopefully we can all take that deep breatrh soon.

I took a few minutes during a commercial during the Redskins game (zzzzzzz), and caught some of Nancy Disgrace's show. It shows how little I know of her that I sat there staring at this woman I'd never met - despising her, based on how many here have described her...and 10 minutes later she says she's subbing tonight for Nancy. Oops - sorry for the hateful thoughts, lady!

Here's some interesting reading, from the AP:

Costas Refuses to Host Show on Holloway

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

document.write(getElapsed("20050819T205427Z"));4 hours agoUPDATED 3 HOURS 31 MINUTES AGO

NEW YORK - While some cable TV hosts are making their living off the Natalee Holloway case this summer, Bob Costas is having none of it.

Costas, hired by CNN as an occasional fill-in on "Larry King Live," refused to anchor Thursday's show because it was primarily about the Alabama teenager who went missing in Aruba. Chris Pixley filled in at the last minute.

"I didn't think the subject matter of Thursday's show was the kind of broadcast I should be doing," Costas said in a statement. "I suggested some alternatives but the producers preferred the topics they had chosen. I was fine with that, and respectfully declined to participate."

Costas' manager declined to elaborate on what Costas didn't like about the topic.

Thursday's guests included Beth Holloway Twitty, the girl's mother; a television reporter; and an investigator in the case. Seven of the show's 10 guests talked about the missing girl, the other segments were about the BTK killer.

The Holloway case has been a big attraction on cable news networks during a slow news period, with Fox News Channel's Greta Van Susteren getting record ratings as she's paid almost nonstop attention to it. Reports of Costas' decision first surfaced on the mediabistro.com Web site on Friday.

"There were no hard feelings at all," Costas said. "It's not a big deal. I'm sure there are countless topics that will be mutually acceptable in the future."

Wendy Walker, senior executive producer of "Larry King Live," described it as a mutual decision for Costas not to do the show because he was uncomfortable with the subject matter.

"We love having Bob ... and since `Larry King Live' covers an extremely extensive palate of subjects, there will always be shows that he will enjoy hosting," she said.

The NBC Sports personality, also host of "Costas Now" on HBO, had agreed to be host for about 20 editions of "Larry King Live" this year. He's done six, the network said.

His decision is reminiscent of Keith Olbermann, the former sportscaster who left his MSNBC news show in the late 1990s in part because he was asked to repeatedly cover the Monica Lewinsky story. Olbermann is back now for his second run at MSNBC.
Old Friday, August 19th, 2005, 09:44 PM

Ellen is on a distinguished road

I got an email from Greta Van Susteren today. She actually answered my email about whether her interview with the mother of the Kalpoe brothers disproves their text messaging alibi. Basically, Greta said that she is investigating the issue and is trying to prove or disprove the existence of the messages.

Last edited by Ellen; Saturday, August 20th, 2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 05:06 AM

Eddy_AUA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaDad49
So, I guess this means that the Hyatt is not worried about a downturn in tourists?
Tourism in Aruba is up and mid term prospects look very positive.
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d
I took a few minutes during a commercial during the Redskins game (zzzzzzz), and caught some of Nancy Disgrace's show. It shows how little I know of her that I sat there staring at this woman I'd never met - despising her, based on how many here have described her...and 10 minutes later she says she's subbing tonight for Nancy. Oops - sorry for the hateful thoughts, lady!
Kevin if you thought she was bad, you should see the "real" Nancy. She is so much worse.

Last night I thought was actually pretty good. Arlene stated how the Arubans feel and the Fine guy started saying how Birmingham feels then the satellite went down, don't know if I believe that one. I'm wondering what would have happened if Nancy was on it. She never lets anyone talk.
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Aruba Expert

I think it's coming to an end soon. Does anyone know why TE and the FL search people want to sue each other, or is it just one suing another?

What is this about TE starting the fire at the dump?

I'm confused. They bring up stuff but then they don't give the whole story.
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Princess
I think it's coming to an end soon.

I'm confused. They bring up stuff but then they don't give the whole story.
You just summed up in two sentences why I (usually) stay away from the talk shows. I watched a bit last night simply because everyone's always talking about Nancy et al, and I felt like I should see the faces. It turns out I didn't actually see her, but I feel like I've seen enough ...
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 10:19 AM

SandraK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S
Sandra, since you live in Aruba - word's going around that the gardener works for Jossy Mansur's nephew. Do you know if that's true??? Thanks!

YES..Jossys Brother's son..
Deepak was Chatting on the internet..in a Chatroom.
So Joran "Text" Messaged Him on the Celly.
Won't be lost or misconstrued

Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 11:26 AM

anngie is on a distinguished road

I think that misinformation and innuendos are the main problem with the whole case. We don't have any idea what the truth is and until someone talks we won't know. We have heard of a confession early on and then retracted. We have heard of at least 11 different stories told by Joran. Last night the former FBI profiler said that he talked to Deepak yesterday and Deepak seemed to want to express himself but really did not say anything important except that he knows what a plea bargain is but that Aruban law does not allow that. Did Deepak know who he was talking to and that he would be on MSNBC last night telling all about their conversation?
Now there is a German newspaper reporting a partnership with Greta VS' husband and Jug Twitty. Why a German newspaper and what does it mean?
We all want to know the truth but all of these half truths or half lies are getting pretty old.
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by anngie
We all want to know the truth but all of these half truths or half lies are getting pretty old.
True, except for one correction - not 'are getting', but 'have gotten'...if you notice, this thread has finally slowed down quite a bit, due to the lack of news/updates and the self-control and maturity of our members. Even Beth is basically waiting until Sept 4th to 'see what happens', and she said she's expecting not only for Joran to remain in custody, but for Deepak to be detained again.

The bottom line is that we don't know all the details, nor does Beth. If you think we're frustrated, imagine how she feels...
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Ed of Me is on a distinguished road

I returned from Aruba last night after two weeks.

While there, I spoke with many on my Aruban friends; some in very prominent positions.

They all agreed that that only the Americans are keeping this alive with their news shows and bulletin boards; none of which have facts, only speculation.

If you want the facts, go to Aruba and ask those that know; rather, than using the media as fact.

Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
True, except for one correction - not 'are getting', but 'have gotten'...if you notice, this thread has finally slowed down quite a bit, due to the lack of news/updates and the self-control and maturity of our members. Even Beth is basically waiting until Sept 4th to 'see what happens', and she said she's expecting not only for Joran to remain in custody, but for Deepak to be detained again.

The bottom line is that we don't know all the details, nor does Beth. If you think we're frustrated, imagine how she feels...
I don't think they can keep him any longer in jail. He is not acquitted of anything.
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 05:47 PM

FAMEDFLIRT68 is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlierat
Sherry, you scared me. I just finished my morning rant and went to submit it and got the message that the thread was closed. Momentary panic.

Anyway, what I said was, I have a little spare time this morning so I am going to start bright and early.

A few days ago, I passed on some info about Mountain Brook, Alabama. Some of this will be repetitious but, Mountain Brook is the most affluent community in the State. The average household income is six figures and I suspect that the first figure is not a 'one.' It is a snobbish, elitist, cliquish enclave populated by a class of social supremacists who truly believe, not just that they are better than us commoners, but that the rest of are are supposed to understand and accept their superiority. That's where this 'I'm entitled' attitude comes from.

So now these overprivileged freeloaders are back; and this time, they're "really angry." Well, so am I.

Here's a little Natalee anecdote that I haven't shared before out of deference to the family. I have a friend who moonlights as a bartender at private parties and catered events. He has worked lots of functions in Mountain Brook over the years and has met the Twits, including Natalee. At a recent (pre high school graduation) party, he recalls how Natalee snuck up to him and tried to get him to pour her some wine. In the process, she got real flirty with him. This is our perfect chaste little naive angel that would never do any wrong.

I have given the family unlimited license because of what they are going through. I still want to but, obviously, the license was not unlimited because my limit has been reached.

You continue to bash everything Aruba with a promise that it's only go to step up from here. All the while, you're staying in a free hotel suite, eating for free in our restaurants, and driving a free rental car.
You come to my homeland, bring down a band of vigilantes who destroy a sea turtle's nest in a protected area, bring down a thug who feels free to roam the island harassing the citizens...can you say 'Deportation?'

As we would have said in the sixties, put that in your pipe and smoke it, Beth and Jughead. Don't bogart. Pass it around to Nancy Disgrace, Greta, Mark Furhman, Geraldo and O'Wrongly.

I promise to lighten up.
Does it really matter if someone is wealthy? I would think the main thing is that Natalie be found and the people responsible for this are brought to justice!!
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

There have been 1371 posts on this thread. You just quoted the 6th post and then tried to revive a topic that was discussed at length 2 weeks ago.
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
They all agreed that that only the Americans are keeping this alive with their news shows and bulletin boards; none of which have facts, only speculation.
I agree 100% - the sooner we all realize this and give it a rest, the sooner we'll all get some rest. The only place for facts is within the files of ALE and the FBI. I also agree that Joran may well walk on Sept 4, unless there is some bombshell evidence we're unaware of (very possible).
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Quote:
I agree 100% - the sooner we all realize this and give it a rest, the sooner we'll all get some rest. The only place for facts is within the files of ALE and the FBI. I also agree that Joran may well walk on Sept 4, unless there is some bombshell evidence we're unaware of (very possible).
I agree 100% as to who really knows the facts.... ALE and the FBI, no question in my mind. And, no question in my mind that they know something that will detain Joran further and "perhaps" reincarcerate Deepak. Maybe my thinking is pie in the sky, but I have all the faith and confidence in the law enforcement putting a good case together... and what I respect even more is with all the heat they're taking, they are not being intimidated into giving out whatever facts they may have.
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 08:41 PM

anngie is on a distinguished road

Kevin, what we have to hope for is that there is the bombshell evidence that we are unaware of. If that happens hopefully justice will prevail.
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Me
Welcome home Ed! Nice to "see" you. Tell us about your trip and enlighten us to what's being said.
Old Saturday, August 20th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anngie
I think that misinformation and innuendos are the main problem with the whole case. We don't have any idea what the truth is and until someone talks we won't know. We have heard of a confession early on and then retracted. We have heard of at least 11 different stories told by Joran. Last night the former FBI profiler said that he talked to Deepak yesterday and Deepak seemed to want to express himself but really did not say anything important except that he knows what a plea bargain is but that Aruban law does not allow that. Did Deepak know who he was talking to and that he would be on MSNBC last night telling all about their conversation? ....

Anngie, you are certainly right about the misinformation, but there is perhaps another way of getting at the truth. If Joran did harm Natalee for no apparent reason, he must be a person with no empathy for others--like a young Scott Peterson. He must show little outward emotion or concern for others. Perhaps, there is something in his actions both now and in the past that reflect that lack of emotion. All I can remember right now is his comment to Jug Twitty when he asked him about Natalee. Joran supposedly said, sarcastically, "What do you want me to do about it?" Wouldn't most innocent men in his position be upset and surprised to hear she was missing and offer to help find her.

Last edited by Ellen; Saturday, August 20th, 2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 12:47 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

welcome home ed. so glad it isn't me yet, lol. you are completely right about the natalee situation. the views are so different here with arubans. they don't suffer thru fox and msnbc. they are so lucky. they have no greta, o'reilly or the rest. it is a blessing. they hear more of the factual stuff because they are there to witness the searches and everything else. their perspective is straightforward and honest. awfully refreshing to listen to people who's views are not tainted by the media frenzy.

Quote:

While there, I spoke with many on my Aruban friends; some in very prominent positions.

If you want the facts, go to Aruba and ask those that know; rather, than using the media as fact.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 04:00 AM
Aruba Expert

Pantherus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMEDFLIRT68
Does it really matter if someone is wealthy? I would think the main thing is that Natalie be found and the people responsible for this are brought to justice!!
No, it really doesn't matter, at least not where I'm standing from. - Still, don't forget that you're threading up against a whole lot of 'Baby Boomers' on this: the most Self Centered, Idealistic, & Greedy generation America ever spawned.

Were talking the same Cocaine 2 Rogaine, Teddy Kennedy Generations that once scorned everything about Life Americana, especially when most were feeling a few wild oats in the 60's and 70's Namí yrs.

Funny thing is that today, most of these very same people can't seem to scream & whine for Government Protection & Social Security loud enough, even though few ever cared about anyone elseís Social Welfare or Security, back then?

Ah, well, but of course, we're all very much aware of the fact that all it takes is a small pittance of a check to stop the bad guys, today.
Right???

Last edited by Pantherus; Sunday, August 21st, 2005 at 05:15 AM.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 05:25 AM
Aruba Expert

Talking Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry
welcome home ed. so glad it isn't me yet, lol. you are completely right about the natalee situation. the views are so different here with arubans. they don't suffer thru fox and msnbc. they are so lucky. they have no greta, o'reilly or the rest. it is a blessing. they hear more of the factual stuff because they are there to witness the searches and everything else. their perspective is straightforward and honest. awfully refreshing to listen to people who's views are not tainted by the media frenzy.
A Blessing, Me Ladie, depending on which side of the line your on.

However, I agree, there is much to be said about no Media 2 solve our needs, today!!
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 05:43 AM
Aruba Expert

Wink Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Quote:

Welcome Back, Brother Man....
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 06:41 AM
Aruba Expert

For anyone who did not see the painting of Natalee that the Aruban gave her mother, it is in Aruba Today Friday 8/19 edition.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 07:52 AM

Hi guys, yes I'am back allready and I had a great time as usual. Let me first start with a few comments I read and to clear some of them, first all the cabs in Aruba are CLEARLY marked with a yellow taxi sign on top of the roof of the car and its lighted and night, so now I dont believe the story when Twitty implied that her daughter did not know she was getting in a strangers car instead of a cab and also there are 3 boys in the car, you would think thats a cab??? come on now, who would believe this story.

Also I was refering to an article which was translated in English, this came from a newspaper in Germany, I think what its implying is that Jugs family is involved in some partnership which spreads over a few country also in Aruba they have some partners. Its in www.aruba.com under messege board. Very intresting.

From my friends in Europe everybody there does not agree with the US media anyway, so they see things more realistic, the only reaction they have is more sentiment over how the US want to impose ontop of everybody instead of respecting others cultures and way of life. This has brought more negative light against the Americans instead of bringing the Europeans closer and feel more compassionate towards the Twitty family. Europeans are very upset since there legal system has been attacked.

On the island itself its very quiet people really had enough of the whole fiasco, for them they just can't wait for Sep to come and hear whats the verdict of the judge. The media really played a good one on Aruba but the moral of the people is still strong it did not diminish in any sense, as some people suggest with the boycott.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 09:26 AM

This is breaking in Europe.

Here is the article in German:
"Washington,DC USA

In der Suche nach der vermissten jungen Frau auf Aruba, sind neue Fakten zu Tage gekommen. Die junge Frau war Anfang Juni spurlus verschwunden, nur Stunden
bevor sie in die USA zurueck kehren sollte.

In den Vereinigten Staaten haben sich viele uber die uberaus weite Berichterstattung im Fernesehn erregt. Viele Amerikaner sind der Auffassung, daB dies nicht richtig ist, da so viele Menschen taglich vermisst werden. Wie es sich nun herausstellt, ist der Ehemann einer der Journalsiten in einer Geschaftsbeziehung mit dem Stiefvater der verschwundenen Amerikanerin.

Der Ehemann der fur Fox News Network arbeitenden Greta van Susteren. John P.
Coale ist einer der Hauptinvestoren in einer
Immobilien Anlage. Er halt 25%, dieselbe Beteiligung die George Twitty, Stiefvater der verschwunden jungen Frau halt.

Die weiteren Anleger sind sind zwei
Deutsche und ein Niederlander, der in der Aruba lebt. Aruba ist eine autonome Region der Niederlande."

The intl. news section, where they talked about George Twitty. from Mountain Brook, Alabama ,who's stepdaughter had been disappeared on the Caribbean Island of Aruba in the beginning of June.

Regarding the extensive media coverage, they
brought up that one of the main reporters for Fox News Network Greta van Susteren has a very special connection to the case.

Her husband, John P. Coale, and George Twitty are both investors in a large real estate development in Richmond, VA. Each of them hold 25% of the development. The other 50% is held by a group of 2 Germans and a Dutch investor, who resides in the self-governing entity of Aruba.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 10:40 AM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

Nelson, Thanks for re-posting this article. I had read it on Courttv.com but when I went back to read it again I could not find it. Again thanks. Now you all won't think I just made that story up about Greta and her connection with the Twitty family.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 01:10 PM

tom carlson is on a distinguished road

Nelson
I hope you told your friends in europe that we dont all agree with the media either. We have all been curious as to where the connection were guess we are starting to find out now.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
.... I spoke with many on my Aruban friends; some in very prominent positions.

They all agreed that that only the Americans are keeping this alive ....

Ed, what are the "facts" your Aruban friends told you?
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Hi guys, yes I'am back allready and I had a great time as usual. Let me first start with a few comments I read and to clear some of them, first all the cabs in Aruba are CLEARLY marked with a yellow taxi sign on top of the roof of the car and its lighted and night, so now I dont believe the story when Twitty implied that her daughter did not know she was getting in a strangers car instead of a cab and also there are 3 boys in the car, ... come on now, who would believe this story.

Europeans are very upset since there legal system has been attacked.
Sorry, to disagree with you about the mistaken-cab theory, but Natalee was apparently so drunk that she might not have noticed the lack of a sign on top of the car or not been aware that all cabs in Aruba have such signs.

I also have one real criticism with the European legal system: the 2-year statute of limitations for murder. Taking someone's life is a unique crime that should have no statute of limitations. Apparently under current European law, Adolph Hitler could not be prosecuted for the Holocaust if he came forward today. That 2-year state of limitations for murder is crazy and apparently common throughout the word.

Last edited by Ellen; Sunday, August 21st, 2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Greta van Susteren has a very special connection to the case.

Her husband, John P. Coale, and George Twitty are both investors in a large real estate development in Richmond, VA. Each of them hold 25% of the development. The other 50% is held by a group of 2 Germans and a Dutch investor, who resides in the self-governing entity of Aruba.
Very interesting, I wonder how this was kept under wraps for nearly 3 months. It would seem to explain the level of coverage and effort, to the point of considering it a conflict of interest of some sort. For example, if Loren and I had a daughter and she went missing in Italy, I wonder if Greta would be covering it for months? Maybe I need to go into business with Coale...
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 01:45 PM

tom carlson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen
Sorry, to disagree with you about the mistaken-cab theory, but Natalee was apparently so drunk that she might not have noticed the lack of a sign on top of the car or not been aware that all cabs in Aruba have such signs.

I also have one real criticism with the European legal system: the 2-year statute of limitations for murder. Taking someone's life is a unique crime that should have no statute of limitations. Apparently under current European law, Adolph Hitler could not be prosecuted for the Holocaust if he came forward today. That 2-year state of limitations for murder is crazy and apparently common throughout the word.

You are so rite our system is far supperior we arrest, convict and jail child molesters, rapeist, murderers and alike but we let them out to strike again until our system is perfect i feel I do not have the rite to critisize others
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 01:50 PM
Almost Aruban

I would agree that one can be drunk enough to possibly not notice the light/sign on top, but combine that with the fact that it's a car full of boys and that none of her friends stopped her, and it becomes doubtful that she believed it was a cab when she got in.

A 2 year statute does seem short from our murderous US perspective. I can't claim to know the facts on the statute for Aruba or Europe, but I'm glad to know ours has no limits. Just ask BTK if he wishes he lived in Aruba!

Quote:

Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 02:50 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom carlson
You are so rite our system is far supperior we arrest, convict and jail child molesters, rapeist, murderers and alike but we let them out to strike again until our system is perfect i feel I do not have the rite to critisize others
I whole heartedly agree with you! Our justice system IS far from perfect, Tom.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Quote:
Ellen, you need to go to the original Natalee thread that was started here. A mother of one of the girls on the trip who was a poster on this board made it very clear that Natalee indeed knew it wasn't a cab!
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I would agree that one can be drunk enough to possibly not notice the light/sign on top, but combine that with the fact that it's a car full of boys and that none of her friends stopped her, and it becomes doubtful that she believed it was a cab when she got in.

A 2 year statute does seem short from our murderous US perspective.... Just ask BTK if he wishes he lived in Aruba!
Natalee might have been fooled by seeing Joran in the back seat since she apparently thought he was also a Holiday Inn guest--not a resident of Aruba. Perhaps, she thought she was only sharing a ride back to the hotel with another hotel guest.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM

Manzanita is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I just Googled Europe statute of limitations murder and found that Greece, Finland & France have at least 20 year statutes of limitations for murder, based upon several recent cases tried for murders within the time frame. There seemed to be several other European countries with long term statute of limitations for murder. I was unable to find any country with a 2 year statute.

I don't know much about the legal system, so I could be very wrong. Could you provide a source where it states the European 2 year statute. If it's true for Aruba, it would be a terrible thing for the NH case.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom carlson
Nelson
I hope you told your friends in europe that we dont all agree with the media either. We have all been curious as to where the connection were guess we are starting to find out now.
Oh dont worry about that, they know the difference, they are well to rounded to believe everything they see on TV. Europeans in general are world travelers and they are strong opinionated people, they are not easily influenced by just what is fed to them. Thats why I like the news broadcast of BBC, its not bias and also not just one sided and gives you real news from around the world.

They are just dissapointed the way the media make their system look as mediocre and having too many cracks, it seems the Americans potrait that the only GOOD system that works perfectly is the one here.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 04:37 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Apparently under current European law, Adolph Hitler could not be prosecuted for the Holocaust if he came forward today. That 2-year state of limitations for murder is crazy and apparently common throughout the word.
Where did you get that from???? Ofcourse he would be prosecuted!!!
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 04:54 PM

Ellen but sorry I do have to disagree with you, ever heard of The Hague?, its the capitol of the Netherlands, all war criminals are tried there, maybe you should read a little bit more over the European laws.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 04:56 PM

Jan78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ed, what are the "facts" your Aruban friends told you?
Ellen, what facts do you want to know??
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 05:35 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:

And ELLEN please look at this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4716909.stm

In the Netherlands, life imprisonment means in principle that the prisoner is to spend the rest of his life in prison. After 20 years he can appeal for mercy, but granting such an appeal happens only very rarely. http://www.answers.com/topic/life-imprisonment-2