Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, January 30th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default All Timeshare Owners—we Need Your Suggestions

As you are all aware, Costa Linda is going thru some troubled times. We have seen it at ABC/CDM, Lacabana, and several others. Troubles seem to come to timeshares mainly because it’s politics. Greed, desire for power, personality conflicts and total stupidity cause most of the problems.

So, we watched our board and saw insults fly. Over the last few days a few constructive comments have started to appear and the children creating the offensive posts have given themselves a time out. This becomes the opportune time to face reality.

Now maybe I am being naďve but I have the hope that if we gather together as timeshare owners, not just Costa Linda owners, and create constructive suggestions to place in front of the board at the end of February, they might actually look at them. The reason I suggest all timeshare owners is that this either has happened or will happen to your timeshare sooner or later. If we all come together and work on it with one timeshare we have a basis to help for the next place. We also need those fresh views of people who have watched the Costa Linda fiasco and said ‘hell, if it was me I would…’

Lefty has offered to compile the list as we create it. In a week or two I will take the list and create a multiple choice poll to rate them in order of importance.

Please people, help us out. I know I would be tempted to post humorous suggestions and that’s fine as long as you also post real ones. We really need your help in this matter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, January 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: All Timeshare Owners—we Need Your Suggestions

Sherry- sounds like a good idea and I will be anxious to see what other owners post.
We are not timeshare owners-we are considered "club members" at the old Aruba Grand.Not sure what we will be at the Riu- I can't offer any suggestions since we are in a different position but am anxious to hear what others say.May help us when we are faced with the new management.
Old Wednesday, January 31st, 2007, 01:56 PM

Tooch is on a distinguished road

Sherry,

Some modest suggestions:

1. Begin with the Costa Linda Articles of Association and Bylaws that were approved by the membership in May, 2004.

2. Establish that these Articles of Association and Bylaws are in conformity with Aruban legal requirements.

3. Amend these documents to require communication to members via the Costa Linda Web site*, and require hard copies filed and available to members in the manager’s office:
1. Minutes of every Board of Directors meeting.
2. Minutes of every General Membership meeting.
3. Quarterly Financial Statements showing all income and expenses.

4. Amend these documents to establish a Member Relations Standing Committee chaired by an Owner Board Member with 2 other owners who may or not be Board Members responsible for providing a forum on the web site for responding to members’ concerns and questions regarding Board policies, practices, and actions.

* Historically, the publication of the annual Convocation Packet results in the widespread distribution of detailed Association business. There should be no problem with making information available to members on their password protected site.

Best regards,

Tooch
Old Thursday, February 1st, 2007, 06:35 AM

Carol B is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: All Timeshare Owners—we Need Your Suggestions

Bravo Tooch,
That would be a great start and end some vicious rumors.
Carol Beck
Old Thursday, February 1st, 2007, 12:31 PM

retireddave is on a distinguished road

Carol:

Your idea of ALL owners of Aruba timeshares to band together is a good one. All of us, whether we own one week or 52, has an investment to protect. We must hold Boards of Directors accountable for the integrity of our individual resorts in terms of financial stability, the management and appearance of the property and competence of the staff. The annual meeting of the CLBR is usually sparsely attended because the audience is limited to owners who are vacationing at the resort at the time. However, we should not be reticent to express our sentiments on issues by way of emails to the general manager and emails or letters to board members. They must be made to understand that they are responsible to us for their performance.

Lastly, because we are, essentially, "absentee owners," CLBR management must do a better job communicating with us.

Dave Lorenzatti
McCormick SC
Old Thursday, February 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM

Tooch is on a distinguished road

Sherry,

I am placing this as a new post because I ran out of time to add to or edit my previous one.

Some modest suggestions:

1. Begin with the Costa Linda Articles of Association and Bylaws that were approved by the membership in May, 2004.

2. Establish that these Articles of Association and Bylaws are in conformity with Aruban legal requirements

3. Amend these documents to require that in a timely manner, the following reports be posted within the members’ only section of the Costa Linda Web Site*, and also be filed and available to members in the manager’s office:

1. Minutes of every Board of Directors meeting.
2. Minutes of every General Membership meeting.
3. Quarterly Financial Statements showing all income and expenses.
4. Annual Convocation Packet.

4. Amend these documents to establish a Member Relations Standing Committee chaired by an Owner Board Member with 2 other owners who may or not be Board Members; responsible for providing a forum on the web site for responding to members’ concerns and questions regarding Board policies, practices, and actions.

* Historically, the publication of the annual Convocation Packet results in the widespread distribution of detailed Association business. There should be no problem with making information available to members on their password protected site.
Old Monday, February 5th, 2007, 11:38 AM

gemini50 is on a distinguished road

I think the suggestions so far are spot on. I would like to add another suggestion:

How each Board Member voted on an issue is openly noted (which directors voted for and which voted against each item).

I know this is one of the items on the ballots that are going around and I think it is important. Members need to know what each board member does and represents. This would give transparency to the owners and would probably go a long way to preventing future "who said what" debacles like the one we are currently experiencing. Members would be able to see for themselves which directors are representing their positions and would also have a voting record to follow as Board Members run for re-election (just like in our federal government). Turn the spotlight on and let all members see what the Board Members are doing for them.

This next suggestion does not need to go on the agenda, but I think is equally important.

When visiting the Costa Linda, all members should take a little time to talk to the Costa Linda employees (your bellman, your maid, bartenders, etc.). Just say hello or thank them for a job well done. Morale is low at this point in time. The employees think of us members as part of their family. They want to do a good job for us, but they are not unaware of what is going on and are worried about their jobs, their member-friends and the reputation of the Costa Linda.

Every member should try to get to know at least 3 employees on each visit. It will add to the whole Aruba experience.

Thanks,
Old Monday, February 5th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

From one gemini to another, welcome to the BB. Excellent point about getting to know workers at the resort, a great way to enhance the experience you have as well as theirs.