Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM

Helmut is on a distinguished road
Default Arrival-Bringing Alcohol Through Aruba Customs

Has anyone recently brought alcohol into Aruba through customs in their checked luggage? There seems to be some rumblings about Customs officials checking luggage this year(carry-on and checked). I know in years past they just wave you through. Anyone have any recent experiences(2009)? Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM

lynnen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arrival-Bringing Alcohol Through Aruba Customs

When we went through in Feb we just got a wave! Actually the customs agents were standing around talking and didn't stop anyone.
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM

Thank-You!

QUOTE=lynnen;88157]When we went through in Feb we just got a wave! Actually the customs agents were standing around talking and didn't stop anyone.[/QUOTE]
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
Almost Aruban

BigPapa is on a distinguished road

In Feb...was the first time we got stopped. He asked us if we had anything to declare..and then we were on our way...Never had that happen before.

Dan & Sweet Georgene
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 08:03 AM

Thanks BigPapa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
In Feb...was the first time we got stopped. He asked us if we had anything to declare..and then we were on our way...Never had that happen before.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM

Tom H. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Has anyone recently brought alcohol into Aruba through customs in their checked luggage? There seems to be some rumblings about Customs officials checking luggage this year(carry-on and checked). I know in years past they just wave you through. Anyone have any recent experiences(2009)? Thanks
Arrived Jan 5th. Asking everybody if the had anything to declare & searching about half the people entering. Only had 2 inspectors and it took forever to get thru.

When we arrived last Sept. (I know this is not recent), they were searching 100% - all bags.

If you need to drink, just be honest and pay the tax.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 10:08 AM

I've brought it in for years in checked luggage with no questions asked, it would appear they're now looking for the scratch. This condition will only worsen as Tourism dramatically declines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Arrived Jan 5th. Asking everybody if the had anything to declare & searching about half the people entering. Only had 2 inspectors and it took forever to get thru.

When we arrived last Sept. (I know this is not recent), they were searching 100% - all bags.

If you need to drink, just be honest and pay the tax.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM

Tom H. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've brought it in for years in checked luggage with no questions asked, it would appear they're now looking for the scratch. This condition will only worsen as Tourism dramatically declines.
We have gone to Aruba over 30 times. It has only been since last Sept. we have experienced this, & it happened 2 of our last 3 trips. On our last arrival on Jan. 5, along with some searching, there was also a dog "checking" all luggage.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 01:04 PM

You're right, quite possibly there could be drug issues as well, coming into the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
We have gone to Aruba over 30 times. It has only been since last Sept. we have experienced this, & it happened 2 of our last 3 trips. On our last arrival on Jan. 5, along with some searching, there was also a dog "checking" all luggage.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM

rdharles is on a distinguished road

I'm confused. What's this issue? You can (legally) bring a bottle of booze into Aruba from the States in your checked luggage.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Only my personal opinion, but I can't imagine that there should be a problem with a legal amount of alcohol.
You know, in the days before airlines clamped down on the amount of luggage, there were several reports of people bringing in coolers of beer and more...as checked luggage. Years ago, we used to bring a small carry-on cooler that contained a few food things (non-alcoholic) for days 1 and 2 (until we got to the market) and probably something for one good home-cooked meal in our timeshare. Now it is NOT worth the hassle.
We did occasionally bring in duty-free liquor or purchase it in the days when the liquor cart was in operation in the Aruba airport.
Since we have been going on cruises coming back to the US, we do look for good prices in the Caribbean. Legally, you can bring back 1 bottle per person. We have never been hassled for bringing back 2 bottles per person...but sometimes it is just not worth the hassle of jugling another box through the arrival process.
We no longer bring back duty-free liquor from Aruba. Many other Caribbean destinations are cheaper...St. Martin is a cruise favorite for cheap liquor.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

rd, the problem is that if you bring in over the limit, aruba has the right to 'tax' you on it. it is not a cheap tax. for many years they didn't bother anyone and still usually don't for checked luggage. however, as the economy and therefore tourism sours all over the world, convincing people to buy their product locally is a trend you will see in all tourist locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdharles View Post
I'm confused. What's this issue? You can (legally) bring a bottle of booze into Aruba from the States in your checked luggage.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 02:47 PM

I guess what the question is, is can they check your "checked luggage" for alcohol and try to apply a duty tax to it. It is understood visitors passing through arrival customs are allowed 1 Litre per person duty free usually in their carry-on. However, What if one departs the states with multiple bottles in their checked luggage, is this susceptible to duty tax upon passing through arrival customs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdharles View Post
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM

Good explanation Sherry!

QUOTE=sherry;88195]rd, the problem is that if you bring in over the limit, aruba has the right to 'tax' you on it. it is not a cheap tax. for many years they didn't bother anyone and still usually don't for checked luggage. however, as the economy and therefore tourism sours all over the world, convincing people to buy their product locally is a trend you will see in all tourist locations.[/QUOTE]
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Administrator

yes, anything you bring into aruba is included in the count. it isn't when you purchased it that matters. it's where. if it wasn't in aruba then you can't bring it in without understanding that if you are over the limit and they decide to check you are susceptible to a search and then the duty tax.

we in the states know well how many times we were stopped and our luggage opened coming back to the states on a 'tip' that someone on a flight was carrying something illegal. tracy, the lady who just brought my kitten back to the states was on a flight where all luggage was checked in newark after they had all gone thru customs in aruba. if anyone was over the limit they were in trouble.

i'm not being the lecturer or holier than thou but it's the risk you take when you break a law. we all do it but we are shocked when we get caught. so understand that if it's a day where the customs agents have the time, or are bored or have been given orders, your checked luggage could be searched.

Quote:
I guess what the question is, is can they check your "checked luggage" for alcohol and try to apply a duty tax to it. It is understood visitors passing through arrival customs are allowed 1 Litre per person duty free usually in their carry-on. However, What if one departs the states with multiple bottles in their checked luggage, is this susceptible to duty tax upon passing through arrival customs.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM

rdharles is on a distinguished road

Ahhh, I see. You're talking about multiple bottles being brought in and taxed.
Old Monday, April 6th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Karin is on a distinguished road

So we are allowed to each bring just 1 bottle into Aruba? Does anyone know what the tax amount is if we have 4 bottles or more?
Old Monday, April 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM

lmccollom is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Arrival-Bringing Alcohol Through Aruba Customs

I agree, you assume the risk if you take more than what you are allowed. One bottle per person is not much, but the extra you pay to buy it in Aruba far outweighs the tax as far as I am concerned. Here is the IATA website with the info:

IATA - Aruba Customs, Currency & Airport Tax regulations details
Old Monday, April 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM

Thanks, but I didn't see any dollar amount for the tax if you're over the limit. We've always taken bottles in our luggage, but now I'm afraid that this trip they may search our luggage going into Aruba.
If the tax is only a few dollars per bottle, then it's worth it to pay the tax rather than to purchase in Aruba.
Old Tuesday, April 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM

I say bubble wrap it and pack it up Karin! The cost of booze down there is 30-40% more expensive than in Ma. I also think the way the economy is going in the US they'll be happy just to have the visitors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
Thanks, but I didn't see any dollar amount for the tax if you're over the limit. We've always taken bottles in our luggage, but now I'm afraid that this trip they may search our luggage going into Aruba.
If the tax is only a few dollars per bottle, then it's worth it to pay the tax rather than to purchase in Aruba.
Old Tuesday, April 7th, 2009, 08:56 AM

That's what we've always done..bubble wrap and good to go! We will do that again! Thanks!
Old Tuesday, April 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM

lindaspooky is on a distinguished road

For years now we've always brought in 1 bottle each, bubble wrapped and surrounded by clothes in our checked luggage. We've never been stopped and only this past November were we asked if we had anything to declare. We said no, not even thinking about it until I read this post. Do we need to declare that we have them?

Linda
Old Tuesday, April 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM

When they ask if I have anything to declare I always reply, " yes, I'm happy to be here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaspooky View Post
For years now we've always brought in 1 bottle each, bubble wrapped and surrounded by clothes in our checked luggage. We've never been stopped and only this past November were we asked if we had anything to declare. We said no, not even thinking about it until I read this post. Do we need to declare that we have them?

Linda
Old Tuesday, April 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Are you bringing in "premium" liquor for sipping?
I do not understand the rationale of bringing a premium booze for mixing it in a slushy, fruity, blender drink.
We used to make blender drinks (pina coladas) and the rum they sell in AUA is suitable...it contains alcohol. If we got a good bargain on Bacardi (in the US or at the AUA airport cart), we used that...a reasonable splurge. Now, we're more of a "glass of wine in the late afternoon" people and a reasonably-priced Chilean wine is OK. We're obviously not wine-snobs.
Balance cost with hassle...and be reasonable.
Just my opinion, again.

Last edited by JohnJT; Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old Tuesday, April 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Administrator

linda, one bottle is within the limit. you are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaspooky View Post

Linda