Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Friday, August 13th, 2004, 02:26 PM

RichV is on a distinguished road
Default Aruba Card, Cellphone, and Rent a car

Hello,

Another newbie to Aruba. I've read a few of the posts here so sorry if my answers should already be in the forums.

1. Aruba Card - my friend and I are going. Should we each have a card or one of us having a card is enough?
- Can we get the card when we get there in Aruba? Or should I order it here in the states?

2. Cellphone or calling card - From what I have read, renting a cellphone will be good if I want to use it within Aruba only (I'll be there for a week). But calling the US, I need to buy a calling card. Would you agree?
- Renting a cellphone - I believe I can rent it at Rent-A-Cell? Should I rent it already here from the states or when I arrive in Aruba? If I can rent it here in the states, is there a website I can go to? Or contact info?

3. Rent a car - From what I understand, in order for me to really get around Aruba, I should rent a car for the public transportation do not go everywhere and of course I'll have to follow their schedule. If I do not want to rent a car, do you think I can just get a cab wherever and whenever? Like, I'm imagining I'll have a cellphone and I'll simply call a cab to pick me up and take me somewhere. Do you think that's cost effective?
- What would be a reliable cab company esp late at night?

Thanks!
Rich
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, August 13th, 2004, 04:45 PM

jayed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aruba Card, Cellphone, and Rent a car

Rich,

1. I think one card for 2 is plenty but if you are renting a car get the card in the name of who will be doing the renting for the discount. In restaraunts 1 card is enuf for the discount or freebie. You can order it from here and have it delivered to your hotel just dont wait til the last minute you need to give them a full week to do this or you can have it sent to your home but this takes much longer to get as mail is slow from aruba.

2.We did not rent a cell phone while we were there we used the calling cards from the mini mart to call home but you can call home from a rented cellphone you get so many minutes but im sure someone will have more experience with this so i will just say that the calling card worked well for us and cost less than 20 dollars to call the three kids nightly to check in on them and their day.

3. We rented a car for the last 2 days we were there to explore and then took to the airport and returned it there so no cab fare. Other then this we really had no interest in driving here and there all week as my husband drives in boston all week and he was more than happy to take the bus and cab and leave the driving behind. The bus we used daily to go around for 2 bux a round trip and cabs were always around for aa trip home late at night - then you can drink and not worry about driving.
Hope this helped you and have a great trip.
Old Friday, August 13th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

My thoughts:

1. Same as jayed. Basically need one for car and restaurants, but two for shows, snorkeling etc. For $15, you can't go wrong.

2. I rented a cell phone from Rent A Cell and called locally AND the US with no problems. It had $15 worth of calls on it. I rented it online and Alvin delivered it and picked it up - no hassles.

3. We rent a car for half of our week to go to far restaurants like the Flying Fishbone or just exploring on our own. Plus it saves cab fare back to the airport. Many people on this BB rent for the whole week though. The bus system is easy and cheap (and fast - hold on to your seats!)

Old Friday, August 13th, 2004, 11:48 PM

RichV is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Aruba Card, Cellphone, and Rent a car

Ok, thank you all of the response!!
Old Saturday, August 14th, 2004, 01:01 PM

andrea j. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichV
Hello,

Another newbie to Aruba. I've read a few of the posts here so sorry if my answers should already be in the forums.

1. Aruba Card - my friend and I are going. Should we each have a card or one of us having a card is enough?
- Can we get the card when we get there in Aruba? Or should I order it here in the states?

2. Cellphone or calling card - From what I have read, renting a cellphone will be good if I want to use it within Aruba only (I'll be there for a week). But calling the US, I need to buy a calling card. Would you agree?
- Renting a cellphone - I believe I can rent it at Rent-A-Cell? Should I rent it already here from the states or when I arrive in Aruba? If I can rent it here in the states, is there a website I can go to? Or contact info?

3. Rent a car - From what I understand, in order for me to really get around Aruba, I should rent a car for the public transportation do not go everywhere and of course I'll have to follow their schedule. If I do not want to rent a car, do you think I can just get a cab wherever and whenever? Like, I'm imagining I'll have a cellphone and I'll simply call a cab to pick me up and take me somewhere. Do you think that's cost effective?
- What would be a reliable cab company esp late at night?

Thanks!
Rich
you and your friend will each need a visit aruba plus card if you are planning on using the card for land based or water sports, shopping . Using it for dinner discounts, one card is probably suffiecient.

I recommend that if you need to make only local calls, pick up a Setar phone card at any of the Setar shops and most convenience stores. (the Setar card will also allow long distance to the USA)

We always rent a car while in Aruba. If you are staying for 7 days and average $25 a day iin cab fares, it is more cost effective to rent the car.
(example about $25 r/t airport to the high rises including tip)
If you are planning on drinking...by all means take a cab.
We have always had great luck with Tropic car rental. Parking at all of the resorts is free and it really is nice having a vehicle at your disposal 24/7.

JMO
Andrea
Old Saturday, August 14th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board Rich.

1. Buy it now, have it delivered to your resort (they'll give it to you when you check in). One is enough except for watersports etc...

2. Phone cards can be purchased at mini-marts, they cost little as Jayed said but were enough for us. I have no experience with cell rentals...

3. Rent a car, but take a cab if drinking. Not to worry on reliability of cab company, they'll take good care of you and rates are set already.

Have a great trip!
Old Monday, August 16th, 2004, 02:31 PM

TeamTexas is on a distinguished road

Cell Phone option for repeat visitors:

We just got back Sat. What we did was take our cell phone to the Setar Shop next to MacDonalds, inland from the Hyatt. For $20, we purchased an Aruban phone number (lifetime) and then purchased time at $.40/min, about $36 for 90 min. (we had a coaching call to to or that would have been way more time than we needed for 3 weeks!) They showed us how to simply program our Aruban number into our cell while in Aruba and how to switch it back to our US number on return..easy. All calls from the US TO your now-Aruba-phone are no-charge to you...normal long-distance rates for the US caller.

Now, everytime we go back, we simply program in our Aruban number and we still have 30-some minutes left on our card...which does not expire.

Hope that helps someone...

LRW
Old Monday, August 16th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTexas
Cell Phone option for repeat visitors:

We just got back Sat. What we did was take our cell phone to the Setar Shop next to MacDonalds, inland from the Hyatt. For $20, we purchased an Aruban phone number (lifetime) and then purchased time at $.40/min, about $36 for 90 min. (we had a coaching call to to or that would have been way more time than we needed for 3 weeks!) They showed us how to simply program our Aruban number into our cell while in Aruba and how to switch it back to our US number on return..easy. All calls from the US TO your now-Aruba-phone are no-charge to you...normal long-distance rates for the US caller.

Now, everytime we go back, we simply program in our Aruban number and we still have 30-some minutes left on our card...which does not expire.

Hope that helps someone...

LRW
What a great idea! What kind of phone do you have? I have a Samsung. I wonder if it would work?

Old Saturday, September 18th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Aruba Expert

th7799 is on a distinguished road

Could someone please tell me where to order the Aruba Discount Card that you all mention? We are going in November, and I'm planning to order one and have it sent to my home since we have a couple of months.

Thanks,
Tere
Aruba Newbie
Old Sunday, September 19th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by th7799
Could someone please tell me where to order the Aruba Discount Card that you all mention? We are going in November, and I'm planning to order one and have it sent to my home since we have a couple of months.

Thanks,
Tere
Aruba Newbie
hi tere, at the top of this bb there is a link to the home page, visitaruba.com. on that page you will find the links to the card. well worth the money!
Old Sunday, September 19th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Aruba Expert

th7799 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Sherry,

I just clicked on the link and noticed that the card is only good through December 1, 2004. My trip is from November 28th through December 5th, should I make arrangements to get two cards? One for the current year and one for the new year? Sounds a little crazy, but if it's worth it I want to make sure we get that done.

Thanks,
Tere
Old Sunday, September 19th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by th7799
Thanks Sherry,

I just clicked on the link and noticed that the card is only good through December 1, 2004. My trip is from November 28th through December 5th, should I make arrangements to get two cards? One for the current year and one for the new year? Sounds a little crazy, but if it's worth it I want to make sure we get that done.

Thanks,
Tere
wow, what a great question. i never thought about that. i would suggest writing to them and asking. i am sure they won't expect you to pay for 2 cards. there must be a way to do it. when you find out for sure, let us know.

sherry
Old Sunday, September 19th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Administrator

tere, i will quote the webmaster, daphne, so you know exactly what to do...

Normally what we do is give them a 2005 card, which they would be able to start using as of Nov 28 (since the dates are so close) - this happens a lot, people are right on the border of the dates, so we help them out rather than charge them twice! Just make sure to tell him that he mentions my name and that he wants a 2005 card ... that's all!
Old Monday, September 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM

twret is on a distinguished road

I just got back last night, stayed from 9/12-26 used my AT&T International Service on my home Nokia 3595 cell phone, no problems calling U.S.A. from Aruba. I hear lots of other cell phone companies phones do not work in Aruba, but if you have AT&T service, just add the International calling to you cell phone. No monthly additional charges, except for the International calls you make. It does not interfere with your normal cell phone minutes on your plan. From Aruba to U.S.A. $1.69 per minute. I also called my wife cell, but you are using International minutes when you do.
If you have a problem the correct format is +1 area code phone number to call internationally.