Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 05:04 PM

rmccain is on a distinguished road
Smile Aruba in July 2005

My wife and I will be going to Aruba for the first time in July and wanted to know if anyone knows about the weather in July. Also we are looking for fun ideas for a four day vacation. Here are some of our questions:

1. Is it better to rent a car or take the bus or taxi?
2. If you rent a car is there parking?
3. We are not drinkers and want to know about the night life (Clubs, dining)
4. We are staying at The Mill hotel. Can you provide your thoughts about this hotel.
5. Please provide some ideas for a four day stay.
6. Do you know when hurricane season is? Hopefully not July.
7. Any mosquitos? Is the climate dry, humid?
8. Is it expensive? Provide some cheaper places to buy items.
9. Are the people friendly?
10. How far is the airport to the hotels.

I know this is a lot but we need your help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aruba in July 2005

welcome and let's see if i can answer a few for you.

you have only 4 days so keep that in mind.

the weather in july is much like the rest of the year. it's warm to hot and rain will come in short showers if at all.

1. car rental is really not needed. i would recommend using cabs since they really are reasonable and regulated by the government.

2. yes there is parking everywhere and it is free. parking is rather difficult in town though. more cars than spaces.

5. depending on your age group, i would take one of the half day tours. if you are young and rugged i would take a jeep tour. if you are not as young and less rugged i would take one of the bus tours.

6. there is no real hurricane season in aruba. it is below the hurricane belt. there has never been a direct hit by a hurricane in recorded aruban history although they are infrequently hit by the backlash of one of the hurricanes that pass so that you will have high surf. more rarely they have had heavy rain from them as happened last september.

7. most bugs blow away and only right after rain or if there is a windless day will you find mosquitoes.

8. what type of items do you want to buy?

9. the aruban people are bright, educated and friendly. they are proud of their island and make tourists welcome. remember that if they don't speak several languages including english, then are not native arubans.

10. it takes about 15 minutes from the most distant hotel to the airport by taxi. if there is a traffic jam in town, add 5-10 minutes.

hope that helped a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccain
My wife and I will be going to Aruba for the first time in July and wanted to know if anyone knows about the weather in July. Also we are looking for fun ideas for a four day vacation. Here are some of our questions:

1. Is it better to rent a car or take the bus or taxi?
2. If you rent a car is there parking?
3. We are not drinkers and want to know about the night life (Clubs, dining)
4. We are staying at The Mill hotel. Can you provide your thoughts about this hotel.
5. Please provide some ideas for a four day stay.
6. Do you know when hurricane season is? Hopefully not July.
7. Any mosquitos? Is the climate dry, humid?
8. Is it expensive? Provide some cheaper places to buy items.
9. Are the people friendly?
10. How far is the airport to the hotels.

I know this is a lot but we need your help. Thanks!
Old Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

As always Sherry was very helpful for a newcomer full of questions, but allow me to add a few details for you:
1- Not necessary, but we always do anyway. Parking is easy to find and free, and the freedom to go where/when we want is immeasurable. You can decide for yourselves, if it turns out you want to rent a car your resort can help you to arrange.
5- Go to the beach and snorkel, or just soak it all in while Aruba's sun gets into you. Take the tranquilo half-day sail/snorkel trip, excellent way to see the island (and the fish!).
6/7- Dry climate, little if any humidity. Weather is as close to perfect as you'll find anywhere on earth, you certainly don't need to worry about any hurricanes in July. The only issues we've evr encountered with mosquitos are sometimes at sunset, as we dine outdoors or on the beach. Many restaurants provide bug spray in case this happens...nothing to be concerned about.
9- We travel quite a bit, and the people are as friendly as you will encounter anywhere. We feel safer there than anywhere, including here.

#1 piece of advice: Next time try and allow for more time in Aruba, you'll know why I said that as soon as you get there. Have fun!
Old Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Aruba Expert

aprillove is on a distinguished road

Sherry and Kevin offer some great advise...Renting a car does give you freedom to explore on your own time..The island is small and it is hard to get lost

The night life is your choice for everything or nothing but just sitting under the stars... I would suggest some of Aruba's finest or casual dining...

1. Pincho's
2. Madame Janette's
3. Marandi's
4. Flying Fishbone
5. Rumba's
6. Chalet Suisse

to name only a few.....

Where will you be staying? That might help with the car thing or dining.

I have only seen 3 misquito's in 15 years..Maybe they don't like me!!!

The people are friendly, not just because you are a tourist..that's just their natural way....It is "one happy island" and you will see why.

Bring plenty of sunscreen as you are only 12 degrees from the equator...and a hat..it is easy to burn the top of your head.

Before you return home pick up a copy of the book "Aruba Experience". You can take it home and daydream about your return trip.
Old Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

And some good ideas from Kathie, too! (aprilove) I agree about getting a car, at least for a day, especially if you want to go to Flying Fishbone restaurant or Marandis. A cab would be very expensive for those. A 1/2 day Jeep tour is a great idea to see the island.

Now we come to shopping, my favorite subject. If you go downtown, the huts across the street from the mall will have inexpensive souvenirs. The Royal Plaza Mall has alittle more expensive souvenirs, better quality. The Seaport Mall, a little down further going east, has stores with European clothes, cool shoes and perfume stores at a much cheaper price than here.
You will also see some beautiful, unusual jewelry in Aruba. Most of us here on the BB have not been ripped off - prices we paid have been lower than in the US. Little Switzerland store may be a good place to start.

Hope this helps!

Old Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Administrator

at least 7 days...by the time you fly in and unwind a little the first day is gone...the last day is left for flying so you need some in between for relaxing.

as to shopping. there is a great shopping area for anything you would want. it is downtown in the capital. just check which days the cruise ships are in and don't go then. some shops raise their prices.

Quote:
How many days do you suggest? We won a trip and the airfare is free so we can extend the days. Thanks for the tips.
Old Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Aruba in July 2005

Quote:
How many days do you suggest? We won a trip and the airfare is free so we can extend the days. Thanks for the tips.
I agree with Sherry.... at least a week. I'm there 3 weeks and it's still not enough. It's not about what to do... it's about what you don't have to do... that's the magic for me.
Old Monday, March 21st, 2005, 09:12 PM

rmccain is on a distinguished road

Sherry, are things closed or are there less things to do in Aruba on Sunday?
Old Monday, March 21st, 2005, 09:29 PM
Administrator

there is not real shopping on sundays but except for a few hours at the grocery stores. however, you will not need very much to do anyway. go down to the beach or find a good snorkel spot and relax. it's funny, until we found aruba we could never sit on a beach for more than an hour. now you have to pry us off of our lounge chairs.

Quote:
Sherry, are things closed or are there less things to do in Aruba on Sunday?