Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
lizzardo's Avatar
lizzardo lizzardo is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 31st, 2007
Location: Aruba
Posts: 775
lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

Hope it's true!!!

From Amigoe.com - Amigoe English: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’
21 Dec, 2009, 07:41 (GMT -04:00)

Email dit artikel
Print dit artikel
ORANJESTAD — Tourism-minister Otmar Oduber (AVP) strives to re-open The Aruban Resort this week. Some thousand tourists are namely expected in the resort this week. “We could hardly send these people a letter stating there are no more hotel rooms.”
Many tourism accommodations are as good as fully booked due to the holidays, says Oduber. “It is therefore important that The Aruban Resort re-opens.” However, the Minister of Tourism does acknowledge that the role of the government is too restricted to get the bankrupt hotel operational again. Nevertheless, the Minister states, it was also unusual that the SVB had swiftly arranged the payment of the dismissal compensation to the more than 200 employees. These employees will now be receiving their money even before Christmas. The Minister had requested to expediate the process after hotel owner KL Sales Marketing & Management Company had been declared bankrupt by the judge last week. It usually takes at least six weeks before the dismissal compensation is paid. Oduber further states that he no longer has contact with Paul Moor, the owner of the building, regarding the hotel’s future. He is negotiating with the Polycom Group. The Aruban Investors Bank is also being consulted to see whether this bank could come up with any means.
__________________
Aruba Kitten Rescue
www.arubakitten.org
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
lizzardo's Avatar
lizzardo lizzardo is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 31st, 2007
Location: Aruba
Posts: 775
lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

Aruban Resort Casino possibly bankrupt next Monday
22 Dec, 2009, 07:31 (GMT -04:00)

Email dit artikel
Print dit artikel
ORANJESTAD — Rudy Geerman, chairman of the trade union FTA, announced that The Aruban Resort Casino will probably be declared bankrupt by the judge on Monday. Curators Ary Swaen and Winfried Croes are still busy with the inventory of the hotel’s financial situation.

According to Geerman, “the curators could come up with a solution for the employees and the hotel quests much sooner if the casino were declared bankrupt on Monday”. Many tourists are expected this week and next week. “It is possible to accommodate these tourists in other hotels this week, but next week will be more difficult”, says Geerman. The employees, who had not received any salary from the hotel since October, had reported to the Social Insurance Bank (SVB) to submit their documents in order to receive their dismissal compensation. If all goes well, a part of the dismissal compensation will be paid tomorrow. Meanwhile, the government is still trying to re-open the hotel. Buyers have announced themselves in the meantime.
__________________
Aruba Kitten Rescue
www.arubakitten.org
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
felicia's Avatar
felicia felicia is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 102
felicia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

Fingers crossed for all those poor people whom have been impacted by this.
__________________
Is it time for vacation yet?



Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 52
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

totally! i can't imagine planning a vacation for so long and then not knowing where i was going to stay or if my vacation was going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post
Fingers crossed for all those poor people whom have been impacted by this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old Thursday, December 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM
LearJet9 LearJet9 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 26th, 2005
Location: Millis MA
Posts: 239
LearJet9 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

Unfortunately it is not true. Some fibs were told in an effort to slow down the Government intervention. As of late yesterday it appears the resort will remain closed for an undetermined time. There is lots-o-politics involved and many hands in the pot.

All rumors at this point should be taken with great skepticism as they will tend to be untrue. Beleive it when it happens. It's a very sad situation.

Bill & Donna
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old Thursday, December 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM
lizzardo's Avatar
lizzardo lizzardo is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 31st, 2007
Location: Aruba
Posts: 775
lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

I totally agree with you. You can see by the 2 articles that
were published a day apart.

This is a real mess without a 'easy solution'. I just fell
so bad for those who are coming here for their hard earned
vacation and have to deal with a stressful situation. I just
hope that everyone finds a place to stay!!!
__________________
Aruba Kitten Rescue
www.arubakitten.org
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Arubaman's Avatar
Arubaman Arubaman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 31st, 2005
Posts: 134
Arubaman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

Found this on Craigslist:

FYI, Aruban Resort and Casino closed its doors (Aruba)

They went bankrupt last week.
Resort Temporarily Closed.

December 14, 2009

Dear Timeshare Owners,

The Management and Staff of The Aruban Resort & Casino regret to inform you of the immediate closing of the resort, including all Hospitality, Casino and Sales & Marketing operations. Management is endeavoring to relocate, reschedule and/or cancel all reservations for the period of December 14, 2009 - January 31, 2010, to other resorts on Aruba, subject to availability.

Due to the fact that the local utility companies turned off the water and electricity to the Resort this afternoon, no telephone or other communication with the Resort will be possible. Please contact ARCmembers@live.com, as The Aruban server is no longer operational. For Reservations, please contact ARCreservations@live.com.


We deeply regret this turn of events and would to assure all of the timeshare owners that Management is working extremely hard and diligently to secure refinancing for the project, despite the resort’s recent financial problems and worldwide financial crisis. Unfortunately, this has not been made any easier by the litigation brought on by a small group of timeshare owners. Regardless, we continue our efforts to complete the recapitalization of the project.

Please refer to this web site for updates on a regular basis.

Thank you,

KL Resort Development Company N.V.
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM
lizzardo's Avatar
lizzardo lizzardo is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 31st, 2007
Location: Aruba
Posts: 775
lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

I think that had been posted on another thread on the subject.
I would not bet when they will re-open. But what I loved
about that thread was this statement:

this has not been made any easier by the litigation brought on by a small group of timeshare owners
__________________
Aruba Kitten Rescue
www.arubakitten.org
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 02:04 PM
LearJet9 LearJet9 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 26th, 2005
Location: Millis MA
Posts: 239
LearJet9 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

That's funny.. If it were not for this small group of owners it is likey that every owner of TS unit(s) at The Aruban would have already lost everything and would be screaming why didn't somebody do something!
A gentleman named John Cole who is just an owner at The Aruban is very effectively speaking for that small group of owners. Mr. Cole has hired council to represent the owners and has expended a great deal of his own time and money doing so. We are owners at The Aruban and certainly can't thank Mr Cole enough for what he has done and continues to do.

Bill & Donna
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 02:20 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 52
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

i think we all agree that it wasn't the small group that caused the problem, lol. the question i think many have is about the maintenance fee being paid into escrow. i am not an owner but as a moderator here, i want to give everyone an opportunity to understand what the hazards could be and what the good points are. maybe you can explain some of it for us. i don't want inaccurate info and i worry that my opinion may be way off base so any light you or any other owner can shed would really be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearJet9 View Post
That's funny.. If it were not for this small group of owners it is likey that every owner of TS unit(s) at The Aruban would have already lost everything and would be screaming why didn't somebody do something!
A gentleman named John Cole who is just an owner at The Aruban is very effectively speaking for that small group of owners. Mr. Cole has hired council to represent the owners and has expended a great deal of his own time and money doing so. We are owners at The Aruban and certainly can't thank Mr Cole enough for what he has done and continues to do.

Bill & Donna
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #11  
Old Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
LearJet9 LearJet9 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 26th, 2005
Location: Millis MA
Posts: 239
LearJet9 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

Sherry
Unfortunatly it is a complicated issue and is in progress at this time. I certainly don't have all of the answers. I think we all know that a time share purchase should never be considered "an investment" as we generally define an investment. Offered as proof of what can happen is The Aruban! I sincerely hope for our sake as well as that of all owners, The Aruban gets back on its feet. There is the potential here for many people to lose millions of dollars. I don't expect it will come to that however if it does for those involved and those just watching, time share will be a dirty word. For Aruba tourism this will be a real black eye if the Government of Aruba allows hundreds of people to lose millions of dollars. As the saying goes, there but for the grace of God.....Never say it can't happen to you. (Unless you own at Marriott maybe)
John Cole who is the driving force behind the small group of owners advises that the next court date is this week, in fact it is tomorrow 12/30. He will post the result of the decision sometime tomorrow or Thursday. Then we can answer that question; What is going on at The Aruban. Until something concrete is in place owners are holding back any fees so as not to throw any more money away. i.e. (KL Management Co)
Make no mistake, many people have already had their plans ruined and for some this means no trip to Aruba even though they have already paid for it. A sad situation for sure.

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 52
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

thanks bill. please keep us informed. i'm hoping everything works out for the best. owning a timeshare is always iffy. this situation might ruin sales everywhere for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearJet9 View Post
Sherry
Unfortunatly it is a complicated issue and is in progress at this time. I certainly don't have all of the answers. I think we all know that a time share purchase should never be considered "an investment" as we generally define an investment. Offered as proof of what can happen is The Aruban! I sincerely hope for our sake as well as that of all owners, The Aruban gets back on its feet. There is the potential here for many people to lose millions of dollars. I don't expect it will come to that however if it does for those involved and those just watching, time share will be a dirty word. For Aruba tourism this will be a real black eye if the Government of Aruba allows hundreds of people to lose millions of dollars. As the saying goes, there but for the grace of God.....Never say it can't happen to you. (Unless you own at Marriott maybe)
John Cole who is the driving force behind the small group of owners advises that the next court date is this week, in fact it is tomorrow 12/30. He will post the result of the decision sometime tomorrow or Thursday. Then we can answer that question; What is going on at The Aruban. Until something concrete is in place owners are holding back any fees so as not to throw any more money away. i.e. (KL Management Co)
Make no mistake, many people have already had their plans ruined and for some this means no trip to Aruba even though they have already paid for it. A sad situation for sure.

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 03:59 PM
cyn12 cyn12 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 31st, 2009
Posts: 1
cyn12 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

My name is cynthia rowe i am an owner at the aruban. I am trying to reach john cole. Or if any one has info on what we should do. S.o.s.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old Saturday, January 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
LearJet9 LearJet9 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 26th, 2005
Location: Millis MA
Posts: 239
LearJet9 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

Cynthia
Go to; www.TheArubanForum.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old Saturday, January 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
hookedonaruba's Avatar
hookedonaruba hookedonaruba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 6th, 2005
Location: New Castle, PA
Age: 69
Posts: 205
hookedonaruba is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

Hi all! I haven't been on in a very long while, hope everyone is well. My step son & his girfriend are/were owners at the Aruban & I have been trying to get some info for them. I noticed there was a meeting/hearing scheduled on 12/30. Did it happen? What came out of it? Is there any new info?
__________________
We ARUBA!!
January 12, 2011
CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old Saturday, January 2nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 52
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

welcome back hooked!

here's another thread with info:

http://bb.visitaruba.com/f2/aruban-a...31-09-a-13435/


Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonaruba View Post
Hi all! I haven't been on in a very long while, hope everyone is well. My step son & his girfriend are/were owners at the Aruban & I have been trying to get some info for them. I noticed there was a meeting/hearing scheduled on 12/30. Did it happen? What came out of it? Is there any new info?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old Sunday, January 24th, 2010, 12:43 PM
jfazekas jfazekas is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 24th, 2010
Posts: 1
jfazekas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

Wondering if someone could help me. My husband and I bought a week in aruba last July. We have just been informed of the situatino at the Aruban. Currently, I am paying monthly payments for the timeshare. Should i discontinue payments on my credit card? What should I do, thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old Sunday, January 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Liz from N.J.'s Avatar
Liz from N.J. Liz from N.J. is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: East Brunswick, New Jersey
Posts: 1,734
Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ‘The Aruba Resort to re-open this week’

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfazekas View Post
Wondering if someone could help me. My husband and I bought a week in aruba last July. We have just been informed of the situatino at the Aruban. Currently, I am paying monthly payments for the timeshare. Should i discontinue payments on my credit card? What should I do, thanks!
You will get alot of information by visiting the website www.thearubanforum.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com