Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Sunday, September 5th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: arubafastphones.com bait and switch?

good questions. i absolutely haven't got an answer. all i know is that the only way for me to activate my phone (and it happened again this year but a friend in my office activated it before i got to aruba (thank you localisa!!!), is to walk into a setar office and get a new sim card. they removed the old one and inserted a new one. i wonder if having a monopoly makes the difference. that would make sense although it isn't a definitive answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarg View Post
I can understand not wanting to top off someone elses phone number but I don't understand why that would be the case. Sherry has explained that phone numbers of rental phones or a number not used for a period of months is reissued to another customer. Ok I get that. However, the SIM card itself is simply a tiny disk and although minutes expire and it can be deactivated, that SAME sim card should be able to be used for reactivation, a new phone number assigned and airtime and data purchased. I worked as a district manager for Rogers Wireless until I had my baby last year so I'm not trying to be ignorant or argumentative. When I worked in the stores we had customers come in all the time with their own phones and sim cards wanting to signup with a plan or pay as you go. We used those sane old sims (better to recycle) to setup a new number and activate the phone. I myself have used a sim card I already had and called in over the phone to do the same thing. Also, when I had to change my cell number, I simply phoned customer service and they changed it right then, no new sim needed. Therefore, I understand needing to reactivate a phone, getting a new phone number and having to pay activation fees and airtime/data fees. The only thing I don't get is if sim cards are in such high demand, shipped in, run out and hard to get at times as Charles said, why are they not reused as much as possible?
As for unlocking, now that it's legal, most cell vendors sell unlocked phones, even Apple and there's lots of websites and businesses that do it. In the mall down the street there's 2 kiosks that do it. However, through online or your cell provider it's usually cheap or free. I do think if one can get a cheap unlocked phone just for travel, that's a good idea. Less worry about your maincell phone being lost, stolen or damaged.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, September 6th, 2010, 03:43 AM

amarg is on a distinguished road

And, if it works, because of the sim card will I still have my same Aruban cell number???
Yes and yes. I am not sure if an explanation of unlocking a phone has ever been posted on here. In short, cell phone manufacturers make deals with cell carriers such as Verizon or AT and T for residuals for ever customer locked into a cell plan(plans must be paid up though, delinquent accounts don't count). Anyways, I will be as simple as possible. These kickbacks from wireless carriers is why cell phones were not able to be used with another company. Therefore, if you changed wireless providers or traveled, your phone was useless. This has finally been deemed unfair and illegal by courts since the phone is purchased by and belongs to the customer so they should be able to use it as they please and with whomever they choose to. This is a fairly recent ruling so if you've tried to unlock your phone in the past and been denied, try again.
The purpose of a sim card is to activate the phone it's put into with the carrier that sim belongs to. It also stores info like a disk as I said before. Therefore, if your phone is unlocked, you can place ANY carriers sim in your phone and it will work as long as that sim is active and has a number, your phone will work the same as whatever phone you transferred the sim from. Also, if you have an locked phone say with Verizon and your husband has a Verizon phone too and your battery on your cell dues, you can remove his sim and pop yours in and use his phone with all your info. The sim turns the handset into your phone. You can transfer sims between any unlocked phones too. It's like if you have info on a disk saved from your computer at home& you take that disk to another computer away from home and insert it into the drive. You can open that disk and access all the info in it on another computer. That's like a sim, you can access the info on another phone.
Old Monday, September 6th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Administrator

so you are saying that if i remove my sim from my phone before selling it or discarding it my info stays with me? how recently was the 'unlock' law instituted? is that in canada, the states, universal? are you saying that if my phone is unlocked because of that law and i get a sim from setar i will be charged setar rates rather than verizon rates? i certainly would love to do that since i love my phone. does that also mean it would be devoid of memory such as phone #'s and other settings?

sorry for all the questions. never had an unlocked phone although this phone is only 8 months old so maybe it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarg View Post
And, if it works, because of the sim card will I still have my same Aruban cell number???
Yes and yes. I am not sure if an explanation of unlocking a phone has ever been posted on here. In short, cell phone manufacturers make deals with cell carriers such as Verizon or AT and T for residuals for ever customer locked into a cell plan(plans must be paid up though, delinquent accounts don't count). Anyways, I will be as simple as possible. These kickbacks from wireless carriers is why cell phones were not able to be used with another company. Therefore, if you changed wireless providers or traveled, your phone was useless. This has finally been deemed unfair and illegal by courts since the phone is purchased by and belongs to the customer so they should be able to use it as they please and with whomever they choose to. This is a fairly recent ruling so if you've tried to unlock your phone in the past and been denied, try again.
The purpose of a sim card is to activate the phone it's put into with the carrier that sim belongs to. It also stores info like a disk as I said before. Therefore, if your phone is unlocked, you can place ANY carriers sim in your phone and it will work as long as that sim is active and has a number, your phone will work the same as whatever phone you transferred the sim from. Also, if you have an locked phone say with Verizon and your husband has a Verizon phone too and your battery on your cell dues, you can remove his sim and pop yours in and use his phone with all your info. The sim turns the handset into your phone. You can transfer sims between any unlocked phones too. It's like if you have info on a disk saved from your computer at home& you take that disk to another computer away from home and insert it into the drive. You can open that disk and access all the info in it on another computer. That's like a sim, you can access the info on another phone.
Old Monday, September 6th, 2010, 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=sherry;101956]so you are saying that if i remove my sim from my phone before selling it or discarding it my info stays with me? Yes, the sim card stores your information.

how recently was the 'unlock' law instituted?
approximately one month ago.

is that in canada, the states, universal? It was ruled on by the supreme court of the United States. So buying an unlocked phone or going into a US retailer or wireless provider and asking for your phone to be unlocked, is much easier than anywhere else. In fact, it is now against the law for them to turn you down. Therefore, you should be able to go into Verizon or whoever and ask that they unlock your phone. Canada is allowing unlocking phones as they realize that it's just a matter of time now. However, they make it slightly more difficult. The retailers will sell you brand new unlocked phones and only certain ones but won't unlock old phones (the US will). I went into the Apple Store as I am an iphone user and asked for my phone to be unlocked and they wouldn't do it. Said I had to get it done elsewhere or go over the border. However, they were willing to sell me an Iphone 4 that is unlocked. It costs about $899 and there are lineups outside the store every morning for it and it keeps selling out. I didn't want to waste $900 and plan on renting a phone in Aruba anyways so it doesn't matter to me much. I simply went over to the private kiosk in the mall that sells phone accessories and they unlocked my phone for a fee. That's the thing up here, until the law passes, they can charge to unlock, in the US it's free. However, when I upgrade I will buy an unlocked phone and by then I expect there will be more variety as Canada should have followed the US lead in the law about cell phones.

are you saying that if my phone is unlocked because of that law and i get a sim from setar i will be charged setar rates rather than verizon rates?
Yes, as soon as you insert an active setar sim card and your phone is up and running on that sim card, it is a setar phone. The verizon rates don't apply. When you go home and reinstall your active verizon card, your phone reverts back to verizon settings. When you install the different sims, the wireless carrier comes up on your screen as well as under your settings. You can see who you are getting service from.
[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"][COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]
i certainly would love to do that since i love my phone. does that also mean it would be devoid of memory such as phone #'s and other settings?
[/COLOR][/COLOR] Not necessarily, it depends on your phone. Most new phones allow you to save your address book to your sim as well as your phone. Your phone has memory capability as well and it's own internal hard drive. Sims are great cause they allow you to carry your info with your from cell phone to cell phone as you upgrade or in my case, if your toddler decides to throw your phone in the toilet. (There are still some phones that work without sims but they're a different story).I simply bought a new iphone, popped in my old sim, plugged it into my mac book and it activated through itunes. Since iphones are unique in that they link to itunes in your computer, my phone memory was also backed up on my laptop and I was able to restore settings that way too. My address book is also stored on my laptop.
I don't know what kind of phone you have but it should have basic capabilities such as being able to save addresses to your phone and/or sim. Go into the retailer if you don't know and get help or google your phone for the instructions if you don't have them. Nowadays, the manuals for almost everything are online.

sorry for all the questions. never had an unlocked phone although this phone is only 8 months old so maybe it is.
NO your phone wouldn't be unlocked unless you bought it that way intentionally. Unlocked phones have been selling on the internet for years but I assume you bought it close to home. Also, make sure your phone is a world phone and capable of working in other countries. This shouldn't be an issue unless you have a very cheap basic phone and usually one without sim card but just double check.

On another note, my parents and grandmother travel to India every year. My parents for 6-8 weeks and my grandmother for 6 months. Anyways, my dad takes his unlocked Rogers World Phone with him every year and uses a local Indian Sim card and it works just fine while he is there in Delhi and outskirts. Alternatively, since my grandmother is there longer, she has an Indian cell phone that she uses when in India for emergencies. Her phone is kept active throughout the year though so she doesn't have to rebuy sims and reactivate. She keeps a very small balance on it which my aunt tops up before it expires (90 days) and that way, doing a very small transaction on the phone, keeps it going. The phone deactivates if there is no activity within 90 days. All minutes on the phone expire and are lost which is awful. However, if you get someone, or you yourself can with a credit card online or by phone, top up the phone with minutes on day 89, those old minutes are saved and you have more minutes added, less hassle and don't have to rebuy sims or reactivate.

If you go frequently to Aruba or another country where you use a Sim card, this may be worth considering. However, I also like the idea of buying a cheap unlocked phone online (or locally) or a refurbished nicer one for cheap and using that as your travel phone. This way you don't have to worry about getting your phone wet at the pool/beach, lost, stolen or damaged. Using your main cell phone may not be the best idea for travel but millions do it, including my dad and my sister, who uses her Blackberry worldwide, including London, Jamaica, Mexico, DR, and India.
Old Monday, September 6th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: arubafastphones.com bait and switch?

Thanks to the advice on this board, I bought a cheap phone just for my Aruba travel, had it unlocked and had a SIM card put into it. That was several years ago. Now I just ad Digicel minutes whenever I go which is three times a year, two weeks each time. I buy the minutes at Paseo Mall. At first I bought them at the little convenience store at the mall and last time they directed me to a little luggage kiosk in front of TGI Fridays at Paseo. I've also bought minutes at one of the Marriott shops off the lobby.

Maybe members of this board can post other shops around town that sell minutes. That would be very helpful to know where to buy them for all of us who bring our own phones.
Old Monday, September 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Administrator

most hotel and timeshare convenience stores carry them. they have them at costa linda which is where i usually buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGirl View Post
Thanks to the advice on this board, I bought a cheap phone just for my Aruba travel, had it unlocked and had a SIM card put into it. That was several years ago. Now I just ad Digicel minutes whenever I go which is three times a year, two weeks each time. I buy the minutes at Paseo Mall. At first I bought them at the little convenience store at the mall and last time they directed me to a little luggage kiosk in front of TGI Fridays at Paseo. I've also bought minutes at one of the Marriott shops off the lobby.

Maybe members of this board can post other shops around town that sell minutes. That would be very helpful to know where to buy them for all of us who bring our own phones.
Old Monday, September 6th, 2010, 11:22 AM

One last thing, if you want to use your own phone with an Aruba sim card it must work on GSM network, be an international or world phone and be unlocked. All AT and T and TMobile phones fit this bill. All Verizon or other companies don't necessarily. First thing is to see if your phone has a aim card already, second is it a GSM phone. If you have any doubts, check your handset specs online or ask your carrier.
Old Monday, September 6th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to "investigate" to see whether or not my not too old Verizon cell meets these requirements...

Fortunately, I have a friend on the island who keeps my phone active for me, and adds minutes right before I get there so it's "good to go." The newer Nokia phones are easy to navigate, but mine is an old one; not a Nokia, and a real pain in the a.s.s.
Old Tuesday, September 7th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

You are absolutely right. 7 months is outrageously long.
That said, we have the name in the hands of a web master and the delays have been due to a series of misunderstandings. For that reason, I developed an entire new site. It is paramount to depict the truth.

If we are not at the airport, we should not say we are
If we do not have Black Berries, we should not promise them
Nothing is free and we should not pretend to make it that way on the web.

Regarding Charles not being involved and wether or not the company is reputable

Due to these mis communications I made the decision to ask the fat lady to not sing yet. I AM BACK and will fix what is broken and make it run better than ever. Shades of Arnold Shwartznegger ?

This is not about SIM cards, cell phone rentals or the web site. It is about integrity and honesty.

Don't got dat den ya aint got nuttin.

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearJet9 View Post
Thanks dogwriter - I guess it might be easier to rent a phone from Aruba Fast Phones. I did check their website and it still says they are at the airport. I am curious as to what kind of operation this is if they still advertise being at the airport when they have not been there for more than 7 months. Doesn't take 7 months to update a website. With the title of this thread I'm a bit leery of this company!! I know they were reputable when Charles was involved but I'm just not sure now???
Bill
Old Tuesday, September 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Aruba Expert

SIM CARDS AND THE SIMPLE EXPLANATION

Try to think of your cell phone in these comparative terms.

A cell phone (Physically and mechanically) can be compared to a car. It is simply a piece of hardware that has no mind of its own. It is a nothing waiting to be something. This needs and requires , amongst other things, an operating platform

The operating platform is kind of like the brand of car. It also is designed in a manner to work out HOW that car works. Having a brand and a design on how it works is essential but does not make it operational.

Battery - Power source

SIM CARD - The SIM card decides on how it will work and through which "Carrier System" it will work. The SIM card not only designates the carrier but it also has a storage capacity and items (phone book) can be saved on a SIM card. In other words, when you change to a new phone, the old phone numbers are loaded onto the SIM card and when you place this card into the new phone, it becomes part of the new operating system information. The comparison is that the SIM card is the brains behind it all and it is what allows the phone to work. It is the driver of the car.

NOW FOR THE ACTUALITY OF RENTING OR BUYING SIM CARDS
When you place a new SIM card into a phone, it becomes operational under the terms of the company (carrier) that issued the SIM card. The competition for your business is huge so companies subsidize the cell phone by practically giving it to you for free. Why? The money is not in selling the hardware, it is in the airtime and the applications on your cell phone. For that reason, the companies that spend millions in buying and giving away phones (but not the SIM card) will try to lock the phones to avoid other companies using the hardware (cell phone) they gave away. It makes good sense from their part.

Each cell phone platform (the mechanical part) is programmable. When this is done to restrict multiple SIM usage, it is called "locking" or "Blocking" There is a code that enables the locking or blocking. And like all codes (DA VINCI BEING THE EXCEPTION) there is a code to reverse the procedure or to make it open. This is called "unblocking, unlocking or opening" the cell phone. You can find these codes everywhere.

So what is happening when you unlock and use a different SIM card than the original?

#1 you are functioning as a customer of the company that issued the SIM card
#2 you just skipped over the cost of roaming-cell-call communications.
#3 you have taken on a different number to be reached at.
#4 your expenses are more immediate since you are paying as you go instead of being on a monthly plan.

NOW - remember all the platform items that are in your car to begin with? In some cases, the issuing carrier will tie those into their system. No VERIZON SIM card NO VERIZON APPS. That is just an example. But this is not always the case.

The multiple use of SIM cards is very popular with American business men that travel frequently to the Caribbean and Europe. In fact, there are special little wallets for holding up to 35 different SIM cards. Why? Because when you head into Andorra to get your billions out of your hidden secret account there, AT&T and VERIZON and some of the rest, do not have an agreement to work there - so you are left without communications abilities. HOWEVER, there are SIM cards there that will make your phone work. Yep, you can buy the little brains easily there and access the local carrier to let them know all is OK. Well , the same thing applies here on Aruba. When you come to get that much needed vacation, blah blah blah. You know what I mean.

Read over the above, you will be given an exam on this on the third day of your vacation. Failure means being shipped back home.

be well and keep it SIMple

charles
Old Tuesday, September 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Aruba Expert

AMARG,
Excellent with one small detail. Unless I am inproperly informed, only a GSM phone can have a SIM card.

=amarg;101964]One last thing, if you want to use your own phone with an Aruba sim card it must work on GSM network, be an international or world phone and be unlocked. All AT and T and TMobile phones fit this bill. All Verizon or other companies don't necessarily. First thing is to see if your phone has a aim card already, second is it a GSM phone. If you have any doubts, check your handset specs online or ask your carrier.[/QUOTE]
Old Tuesday, September 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Aruba Expert

The SIM has memory capacity and you can store on it.
be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
so you are saying that if i remove my sim from my phone before selling it or discarding it my info stays with me? how recently was the 'unlock' law instituted? is that in canada, the states, universal? are you saying that if my phone is unlocked because of that law and i get a sim from setar i will be charged setar rates rather than verizon rates? i certainly would love to do that since i love my phone. does that also mean it would be devoid of memory such as phone #'s and other settings?

Old Tuesday, September 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info, Charles. I've printed out what you've said, and will take my old Verizon over to their store to see if it meets the capabilities of using it instead of the cell I now have for Aruba which is antiquated.
Old Tuesday, September 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=charlescroes;101973]AMARG,
Excellent with one small detail. Unless I am inproperly informed, only a GSM phone can have a SIM card.

Yes only a GSM phone can have a sim card but not all GSM phones have SIM cards. There are about 4% of phones out there that work on GSM network but take no sim card. Many of these are older phones and some are very very cheap phones, usually sold purely as pay as you go phones here in Canada. I have one from 3 years ago that I bought in another city away from home and only used there for a couple of months. It was sold as a pay as you go phone from Walmart for $60. It didi the job well but had no sim card. Everything was stored in the phone.
Old Tuesday, September 7th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

We finally broke down this last trip and bought a cell phone at that place by Certified. (Really needed to stay in touch as I have an elderly mother). I read the little booklet that came with it, and also asked the employees LOTS and LOTS of questions at the store e.g., if I would have the same number, what I would have to do when we returned next year, etc. I just couldn't get a straight answer, or I just didn't understand what they were saying. I'm absolutely sure any minutes I had will expire, but that's about all I know with certainty. Should I just go back to the store where I bought it? Or can I go anywhere previously mentioned in this thread? At this point, I don't even care anymore if I have the same number. What can I expect to pay? I bought the phone in Aruba and only intend to use it in Aruba. Although I remember the guy in store telling me I could use it in the US if I wanted to. All I want is a phone in Aruba every year with absolute minimal effort.

Old Wednesday, September 8th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road

I bought my phone from the Digicel Store beside the Wendy's at the traffic circle just past the grocery stores a few years ago. The first year I returned I bought a new sim card and had a new number.
The last 3 years I have just gone in to buy "time" and I still retained the same number. There has only been 9 months between visits.
I also was able to retain any time left from the previous visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
We finally broke down this last trip and bought a cell phone at that place by Certified. (Really needed to stay in touch as I have an elderly mother). I read the little booklet that came with it, and also asked the employees LOTS and LOTS of questions at the store e.g., if I would have the same number, what I would have to do when we returned next year, etc. I just couldn't get a straight answer, or I just didn't understand what they were saying. I'm absolutely sure any minutes I had will expire, but that's about all I know with certainty. Should I just go back to the store where I bought it? Or can I go anywhere previously mentioned in this thread? At this point, I don't even care anymore if I have the same number. What can I expect to pay? I bought the phone in Aruba and only intend to use it in Aruba. Although I remember the guy in store telling me I could use it in the US if I wanted to. All I want is a phone in Aruba every year with absolute minimal effort.

Old Wednesday, September 8th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Aruba Expert

Thanks, I guess I'll just have to see how it goes when we return in March.

Old Wednesday, September 8th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-Beach Boy View Post
I bought my phone from the Digicel Store beside the Wendy's at the traffic circle just past the grocery stores a few years ago. The first year I returned I bought a new sim card and had a new number.
The last 3 years I have just gone in to buy "time" and I still retained the same number. There has only been 9 months between visits.
I also was able to retain any time left from the previous visit.
EBB - if you don't want to go down to Digicel by Wendy's you can buy more time at the mini-mart at La Cabana. That's where I always buy more time for my Aruba cell. They might even have the card at the A.M. mini-mart.
Old Wednesday, September 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Aruba Expert

Thanks Liz. Some times I have to get it set up after I change the SIM card. I will try to access it first myself as I should have time left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz from N.J. View Post
EBB - if you don't want to go down to Digicel by Wendy's you can buy more time at the mini-mart at La Cabana. That's where I always buy more time for my Aruba cell. They might even have the card at the A.M. mini-mart.

Old Wednesday, September 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Aruba Expert

Yes - you are absolutely correct.

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes View Post
AMARG,

=amarg;101964]One last thing, if you want to use your own phone with an Aruba sim card it must work on GSM network, be an international or world phone and be unlocked. All AT and T and TMobile phones fit this bill. All Verizon or other companies don't necessarily. First thing is to see if your phone has a aim card already, second is it a GSM phone. If you have any doubts, check your handset specs online or ask your carrier.
[/QUOTE]
Old Wednesday, September 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Aruba Expert

Rochone,
Your unused minutes or credit will not expire, it will hibernate awaiting other minutes to be added and then join them. Let me explain:
Let's assume that you leave Aruba and you still have 10 minutes left. You don't use those minutes and so they become expired (but not exactly dead) When you come down and get an additional 25 minutes (example) then those sleeping 10 minutes jump on board and it becomes 35 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
Old Thursday, September 9th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Can someone summarize?
We have tried to avoid making calls from Aruba to the US. We make minimal calls for restaurant reservations etc. while in Aruba.

Two years ago, we had a critical need to make several calls to the US because of a medical emergency. We bought a "phone card" from a gift shop for about 8 cents a minute. Our resort charged a fee per 3 minute call to a local Aruba number...needed to access an international connection. In summation, we figured we paid about 25 cents a minute for about 2 hours of calls.

Given our history, it is worth the cost of buying a phone, maintaining a phone and buying minutes? Are phone cards still available...I think we paid $10 for 120 minutes. The resort charges amounted to 16 cents a minute and that boosted the total to about 25 cents a minute.
Old Thursday, September 9th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator

what resort were you at? i can tell you that the few calls i made from my room for either the states or local in aruba cost me a fortune.

for people who use cell phones at home and are used to keeping in touch, or those who have children or other people at home that they want or need to hear from, it is a convenience not afforded by calling from your resort. my phone goes to the beach, casino, shopping, meals, or basically anywhere i go. i don't think i have gotten 10 calls that would interfere with my vacation in the years i have had that cell phone. rather i get calls that enhance my vacation (where to meet, where to eat, where to party). it has saved me from having to sit by my phone in the room waiting for those calls.

so the summary, imho, is that you may be able to use the card and sit at the resort. in your case, with the emergency, it was more than needed and if the cost was what you quoted, it was a bargain along with giving you the comfort of being able to contact everyone you needed to talk to. however, for a normal vacation for me, the cell phone has been a godsend.

btw, for international calls, which i make very few of, if you have your computer, skype is the bargain answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJT View Post
Can someone summarize?
We have tried to avoid making calls from Aruba to the US. We make minimal calls for restaurant reservations etc. while in Aruba.

Two years ago, we had a critical need to make several calls to the US because of a medical emergency. We bought a "phone card" from a gift shop for about 8 cents a minute. Our resort charged a fee per 3 minute call to a local Aruba number...needed to access an international connection. In summation, we figured we paid about 25 cents a minute for about 2 hours of calls.

Given our history, it is worth the cost of buying a phone, maintaining a phone and buying minutes? Are phone cards still available...I think we paid $10 for 120 minutes. The resort charges amounted to 16 cents a minute and that boosted the total to about 25 cents a minute.
Old Thursday, September 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Aruba Expert

Hi Elaine,
I should work once it is unlocked. When you are down here I can check it out for you and if it doesn't work, I will send you to someone who is an unlock expert. Give me a call.
be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
I have, what may be a silly question. I have old Verizon cells since every two years I upgrade. My old ones are newer, and much easier to navigate then my Aruban cell which is about 7 or 8 years old. My question is... if I no longer have Verizon service activated on an old cell, will the sim card from my Aruban cell make it "work" if I take it to Verizon and have it unlocked?

Old Thursday, September 9th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Arubaman is on a distinguished road

Charles

I do not post that often but I do read the boards daily.

I checked out the 2 websites www.arubafastphones.com and www.fastphonesaruba.com (new site)

The old site should be taken off the web, it still shows pickup at the airport and other wrong information.

The new site is great with lots of information.

I have used fastphones for a few years now without any proplems, and I made a note of the new website.
Take care
Old Thursday, September 9th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Rochone,
Your unused minutes or credit will not expire, it will hibernate awaiting other minutes to be added and then join them. Let me explain:
Let's assume that you leave Aruba and you still have 10 minutes left. You don't use those minutes and so they become expired (but not exactly dead) When you come down and get an additional 25 minutes (example) then those sleeping 10 minutes jump on board and it becomes 35 minutes.

Thank you Charles - good to know.

Old Friday, September 10th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Sherry,
We were using a phone card that just connected to a local Aruba number, then they accessed an international operator. I believe we paid $10 for 120 minutes (8 cents a minute). We bought the phone card in the perfume store in the CDM lobby. Then Casa Del Mar charges 50 cents for every three minutes of local calls (16 cents a minute). Yes, if we called the US direct using a CDM operator, it would have been big bucks...like $2.50-$3.50 a minute or more.
Old Friday, September 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Aruba Expert

Re changing SIM Cards using one phone:
Different Frequencies.

When I arrive in Aruba I take out my Rogers card and insert my Digicel Sim Card and change the frequency to GSM-900, GSM-1800 . North America operates on a different frequency. GSM-850 and GSM-1900 are used in the United States, Canada,
Sound difficult but it is easy. All explained in your manual.

Old Friday, September 10th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Aruba Expert

Hi Arubaman,

I wanted the old site down a while back, however there are some tricky little issues holding us back from dropping it. One of those is the incredible amount of tourists that know the old site and have it registered in their computers. The second thing is that we have some pending reservations that are still coming in through the site.

There are some minor details pending for the new site. (VERY MINOR) and when they are tweaked, we will drop the old site image but have both addresses direct to the new site.

THANK YOU FOR THE COMPLIMENT ON THE NEW SITE.!!!!!!!

It took quite some planning. Our web master VINOD is absolutely the best. Cant say enough about the guy.

I am involved with the company again and things will be back on track. That said, I have to take my hat off to Iris, (my ex-wife but business partner) She has done a wonderful job of keeping it together. Remember that she is Cuban and only learned to speak English some years back and has never worked in any company before.

IRIS, I admire you - Te admiro

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaman View Post
Charles

I checked out the 2 websites www.arubafastphones.com and www.fastphonesaruba.com (new site)

The old site should be taken off the web, it still shows pickup at the airport and other wrong information.

I have used fastphones for a few years now without any proplems, and I made a note of the new website.
Take care
Old Friday, September 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Aruba Expert

By the way, the addy is fastphonearuba.com . You put in an "S" to make it plural.

Thanks and
be well
charles

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaman View Post
Charles

Take care
Old Friday, September 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Arubaman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
By the way, the addy is fastphonearuba.com . You put in an "S" to make it plural.

Thanks and
be well
charles

B
Like I said before, in the past years never had a problem with the service and I am sure it will be the same in the future. You folks have been wonderfully to the tourist, vacationers and the snowbirds from the northeast. I did see my error with the "S" Thanks for pointing that out.

Thank you
Old Friday, September 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM

clarabell is on a distinguished road

Holy Moly! I haven't been on the forum since way before we left for AUA. We just got back from Aruba and I checked into this site to leave a nice post about my on island experience with fastphonesaruba, formerly arubafastphones.com

Gee, I had no idea my original questions had created such a fervored conversation. This isn't a thread or a rope. It's a noose!

As an epilogue to my saga, we met up with Iris and she took very good care of us. I won't belabor the incendiary details, but we were given excellent customer service. I wholeheartedly endorse using this organization!

I checked the new website and love the clean graphics. Of particular note, the new "price" tab includes a caveat that the $10 Sim cards have limited availablity. If this warning was included on the old site, this whole thing would never have been an issue.

Charles, thanks for your help. As they say, all publicity is good PR. The silver lining is that many will be educated about the Sim card.

Clarabell

PS. Also want to add a nice note about the Bed and Breakfast we stayed in before checking into Costa Linda. I found it on Tripadvisor. Buffam's Tropical Inn. We had a great stay with Sherrie and Rick for a couple days. They were great!
Old Friday, September 10th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator

tell us all about the b&b? where is it located? how were the rooms? do they have their own website? at costa linda did you get to stay in one of the remodeled units. ours was being remodeled the week we were there so they put us in one of the old style.

looking forward to a trip report from you. you can be the first to write one in our new 'trip report' section: Aruba Trip Reports - Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba . where we had a separate page for years we decided to make it easier for our members.

welcome home. glad your cell phone experience was so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabell View Post
Holy Moly! I haven't been on the forum since way before we left for AUA. We just got back from Aruba and I checked into this site to leave a nice post about my on island experience with fastphonesaruba, formerly arubafastphones.com

Gee, I had no idea my original questions had created such a fervored conversation. This isn't a thread or a rope. It's a noose!

As an epilogue to my saga, we met up with Iris and she took very good care of us. I won't belabor the incendiary details, but we were given excellent customer service. I wholeheartedly endorse using this organization!

I checked the new website and love the clean graphics. Of particular note, the new "price" tab includes a caveat that the $10 Sim cards have limited availablity. If this warning was included on the old site, this whole thing would never have been an issue.

Charles, thanks for your help. As they say, all publicity is good PR. The silver lining is that many will be educated about the Sim card.

Clarabell

PS. Also want to add a nice note about the Bed and Breakfast we stayed in before checking into Costa Linda. I found it on Tripadvisor. Buffam's Tropical Inn. We had a great stay with Sherrie and Rick for a couple days. They were great!
Old Saturday, September 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Aruba Expert

Clarabell,
Iris will be glad to hear about your compliment.

Short story from Charles to Clarabell:

A man is wronged and his wife goes in to speak to the opposing side and defends him. He looks up at his wife and says "That's my gal" A few weeks later his wife goes in and talks to the people that wronged her husband - when she is done, the guy says "That's a Lady"

It is eloquent to express clear belief.

be well clarabell

charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabell View Post

Clarabell