Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, February 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM

areezee is on a distinguished road
Default Bad experience U-Save (ACE) car rental

Hi all,

This is my first post, but I felt it was something future travelers should know about.

I booked a 10 day car rental through U-Save (ACE) more then a month ago. I arrived in Aruba on Thursday (2-5-09). Upon arrival, I had to search, but I did find their representative at the Airport. (a 17 year old kid)

The kid was nice, but told me that someone from their office needed to talk to me. He then put me on the phone with a woman. The woman tells me that there has been a problem, and they have no car available for me at all until the next day (Friday) . She continues that she will call me the next day (Friday 2-06-09)...after 12 pm. ....

...After hanging up, I realize that she doesn't have a phone number to reach me at. I called back and asked her what number she was going to call me back on, and she says that she would call my Hotel.....(at this point, i had not yet given her the Hotel I was staying at). ......... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I then gave her my cell number and the name of my hotel.

...of course no call comes on Friday at all.........

After waiting around until 3:30 I have to be the one to call U-save and the same woman tells me that they will have someone to pick me up at my hotel in 1 hour.

.....after an hour and a half goes by, I again have to call U-Save, where the same woman tells me that......... earlier........ the owner had told her, that he would pick me up around 4 o'clock......but since it was already 4:30, she would have to call him, and then call me right back.............

........after another half an hour goes by...............I once again have to be the one to call them.

..................and the same idiot woman answers the phone, and puts me on the phone with the owner (Adolf).............who tells me.................

.........................."Oh Sorry.....but we don't rent cars to people who stay at your hotel".......LOL

....................they obviously never had a car for me, and just decided to jerk me around........

Later that day, I went on their website and they were not offering any cars until March 8th at the earliest..............hmmmmmmm

If they would have just been honest with me from the start, that they had no intention of providing a car for me.....I would have been much better off.

I simply would have went with a different company....

VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.................................... ..

Not the best way to start your first 2 days, ever in Aruba.

Do yourself a favor and rent from someone else.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, February 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience U-Save (ACE) car rental

welcome to our forum!

if this is an accurate accounting of what happened it is a nightmare! i sure hope the rest of the vacation was good.

now i have a favor to ask of you. would you please go to our car rental poll and vote. plus maybe on that thread give a link to this. people need to know when there is a problem like this and that is the place they will look first.

http://bb.visitaruba.com/f2/great-ca...-thread-10204/

Quote:
Originally Posted by areezee View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post, but I felt it was something future travelers should know about.

I booked a 10 day car rental through U-Save (ACE) more then a month ago. I arrived in Aruba on Thursday (2-5-09). Upon arrival, I had to search, but I did find their representative at the Airport. (a 17 year old kid)

The kid was nice, but told me that someone from their office needed to talk to me. He then put me on the phone with a woman. The woman tells me that there has been a problem, and they have no car available for me at all until the next day (Friday) . She continues that she will call me the next day (Friday 2-06-09)...after 12 pm. ....

...After hanging up, I realize that she doesn't have a phone number to reach me at. I called back and asked her what number she was going to call me back on, and she says that she would call my Hotel.....(at this point, i had not yet given her the Hotel I was staying at). ......... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I then gave her my cell number and the name of my hotel.

...of course no call comes on Friday at all.........

After waiting around until 3:30 I have to be the one to call U-save and the same woman tells me that they will have someone to pick me up at my hotel in 1 hour.

.....after an hour and a half goes by, I again have to call U-Save, where the same woman tells me that......... earlier........ the owner had told her, that he would pick me up around 4 o'clock......but since it was already 4:30, she would have to call him, and then call me right back.............

........after another half an hour goes by...............I once again have to be the one to call them.

..................and the same idiot woman answers the phone, and puts me on the phone with the owner (Adolf).............who tells me.................

.........................."Oh Sorry.....but we don't rent cars to people who stay at your hotel".......LOL

....................they obviously never had a car for me, and just decided to jerk me around........

Later that day, I went on their website and they were not offering any cars until March 8th at the earliest..............hmmmmmmm

If they would have just been honest with me from the start, that they had no intention of providing a car for me.....I would have been much better off.

I simply would have went with a different company....

VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.................................... ..

Do yourself a favor and rent from someone else.

Last edited by dwippies; Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old Tuesday, February 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree. What a horrible first impression you must have received.
Old Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road

I didn't believe this last Friday when it was posted on another site & I don't believe it today. Sorry, I just don't buy it.

I'll concede it's possible they didn't have a vehicle. I'll even go with the possibility that they strung this guy along for a day or two (both being completely unacceptable) . But, I can't believe any business person would make a statement like ...............

Quote:

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Old Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Droykelly, you couldn't be more wrong.

It's EXACTLY what was said to me.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. everyone has one..............well, you know how that saying goes.....

ADOLF , the Owner of USAVE, said they

"don't rent to people who are staying at my hotel, ...because a car had been stolen from there...."

That was his lame excuse after 2 days of run around and unprofessionalism,....... when he finally admitted that he didn't have a car for me.

So you don't believe me.......................oh well....

.................just as long as at least one future Aruba traveler, has the opportunity to hear what happened to me, while I was dealing with USave, and then make their rental car company choice,........Well, that's good enough for me................
Old Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Sully56 is on a distinguished road

It's very unfortunate that you were treated like that. That's not the norm for most car rental companies on the Island. I've even had one company call another one year when they couldn't come through for me and sent me to another kiosk outside the terminal. My advise for anyone who is really undecided is to just spend 15-20 bucks to get to your resort by cab. Get settled in and then ask someone at the desk to recommend a car company. Everybody knows someone in the business and chances are they are recommending someone they know personally. Most all of the rental companies will bring that car right to you at the resort within the hour. Good luck in the future and just remember that yours was likely an isolated incident.
Old Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 01:28 AM

djgal8 is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Bad experience U-Save (ACE) car rental

I've rented from Ace/U-Save for the past two years and never had a problem. Adolf is a pleasure to do business with.
He is handing out anti theft devices with all of his rentals now, so I'm not so sure why he would not rent a car to you because of the hotel you were staying. Just doesn't seem like him.
Old Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM

mzade is on a distinguished road

so sorry you had such a bad experience with ACE, that had to put a damper on your vacation.

I have been singing praises for ACE for a couple of years now, we had a lot of horrible experiences with others on the island and ACE has always come through for us. The vehicles are always clean and well taken care of, plus I have always found Adolf and the staff to be helpful and pleasant. I hope this was just an unfortunate one time incident or just some horrible miscommunication. We rented with them just six months ago and the transaction was trouble free. Maybe you should send them an email and find out what truly happened. Sorry it didn't work out.

Last edited by mzade; Saturday, February 14th, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Bad experience U-Save (ACE) car rental

I think it would be a good idea for one of the local moderators to give Adolph a call and let him know about this post and get his side of the story. At face value, it would scare me away from doing any business with his company. I have a short time to enjoy Aruba when I go and I dont want to start off in a bad mood.
Old Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

bob, it has already been done. waiting for a reply. i did it within 24 hours of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
I think it would be a good idea for one of the local moderators to give Adolph a call and let him know about this post and get his side of the story. At face value, it would scare me away from doing any business with his company. I have a short time to enjoy Aruba when I go and I dont want to start off in a bad mood.
Old Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Bad experience U-Save (ACE) car rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
bob, it has already been done. waiting for a reply. i did it within 24 hours of the post.
I should have known you would be on it.
Old Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM

I think it's pretty obvious that ADOLF had no car available for me, (regardless of my reservation) and after stalling me for two days, he still had no car, and that's the excuse he decided to go with.

I've already emailed LocaLisa all my reservation/confirmation info: so I guess at some point he will give his excuses to somebody here.

Aruba is a beautiful and wonderful place, and when I return next year I'll rent my vehicle elsewhere.
Old Sunday, February 15th, 2009, 12:10 AM

dot1 is on a distinguished road

Areezee, you are in exactly the same position as I am, only I had my problem with Royal. While most people have been able to get the car they reserved, you and I ran into problems with them not having a car to give us. I can't understand why the car rental company doesn't just call another company and get the renter another car instead of having angry posts about their company. Maybe they are all so independent they don't care. But I believe you as I went through the same thing with Royal. I am crippled and Royal wanted me to take the only thing they had left which was a pickup truck that I couldn't get into. Three times all Royal could say was that the pickup was all they had. Finally, they did call a local company and got me a car. Why not just do that immediately. Someone pointed out to me that the problem could be that the rental company may have been counting on someone who did not return their rental in time. I guess that could be a possibility. But should a situation like that occur and the rental company has no car, I would think it would be better to just contact another rental company and get you a car without the stalling and making excuses. Yes, they would loose the rental but they would gain in reputation for being helpful and the customer would rent from them the next time.
Old Sunday, February 15th, 2009, 12:14 AM

Dot, Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Yeah, they must've been booked solid and didn't care about me. It took me two days to even speak to the owner, never mind them offering to get me something through another company.

I should have just went to another renter right away, instead of letting them string me along.
Old Sunday, February 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think it's pretty obvious that ADOLF had no car available for me, (regardless of my reservation) and after stalling me for two days, he still had no car, and that's the excuse he decided to go with.

I've already emailed LocaLisa all my reservation/confirmation info: so I guess at some point he will give his excuses to somebody here.

Aruba is a beautiful and wonderful place, and when I return next year I'll rent my vehicle elsewhere.
I still feel like apologizing to you for something I had no control over. I'm glad the rental experience didn't ruin your whole trip and I am really glad to see that you plan to return to Aruba next year.
Old Sunday, February 15th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Charlierat, No need for apologies... U-Save/Ace dropped the ball.

Funny thing is USAVE/ACE finally got around to sending me an email apology today. However, that was ONLY because somebody named "++++" emailed them, encouraging them to give their take on the story.....because she didn't believe my side of things....and she wanted them to respond to my posts.......LOL

They fowarded me the email she sent..... along with a very very very brief apology (no explanations) and of course spelled my name wrong, 1st and last, gender, and reversed etc...

I find it very amusing that some people, just because they had a good experience/experiences with a company, are mystified that someone else could have a bad experience with the same company.....???? (Stuff Happens)

It sure seems like these same people are alot more concerned about U-Save's reputation, than U-Save themselves.......

Good morning,

MR. J.ROCO.
I’m very sorry about the inconvenience of your reservation with,
USAVE AND ACE CAR RENTAL in Aruba ,
Thank you,

Elizabeth.

Last edited by dwippies; Monday, February 16th, 2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sunday, November 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM

Vette96drvr is on a distinguished road

Areezee,
Thanks for this post. I was just minutes away from reserving with these people for my upcoming trip to Aruba when I decided to Google feedback from past renters of theirs. Thats how I found this thread and why I will now rent from elsewhere. Thank you for posting to help to protect other travelers.
Old Sunday, November 1st, 2009, 02:06 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Just curious....
Did the moderators ever receive a follow-up on their inquiry?
I mean poor reports seem to linger forever...and it is always not fair.
Old Sunday, November 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

we only got notification that he sent an apology. we did request that they post a reply as we always do to any business. we try to contact any owner or manager when a problem is posted because they can't improve or explain themselves if they don't know there is a problem.

some decide that replying on a public forum is a mistake. i personally don't see it that way. they can reach the people that they need to explain to.

the only positive is that it has been 8 months or more since that post and we have received no other complaints. however, a reply would have erased the bitter taste that was left here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJT View Post
Just curious....
Did the moderators ever receive a follow-up on their inquiry?
I mean poor reports seem to linger forever...and it is always not fair.
Old Sunday, November 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette96drvr View Post
Areezee,
Thanks for this post. I was just minutes away from reserving with these people for my upcoming trip to Aruba when I decided to Google feedback from past renters of theirs. Thats how I found this thread and why I will now rent from elsewhere. Thank you for posting to help to protect other travelers.

You are definitely welcome.

They didn't even bother responding on here because they probably don't care, and they definitely know they were in the wrong...

Worst rental car experience I've ever had.
Old Sunday, November 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Administrator

i hope everyone realizes we have a rental poll. it is a way to make tourists more savvy to the problem companies. anyone who has a complaint or anyone who has had a great experience should vote and post on the link below. it is the only way we all learn and can protect ourselves.

http://bb.visitaruba.com/f2/great-ca...-thread-10204/

Quote:
You are definitely welcome.

They didn't even bother responding on here because they probably don't care, and they definitely know they were in the wrong...

Worst rental car experience I've ever had.
Old Sunday, November 1st, 2009, 07:48 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Incredible story. Next time, please call Hans at Tropic Car Rental. He and his service are superb. I recommend him highly.
Old Monday, November 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Sherry, for the follow-up information on how this board contacts businesses.
I don't think I've read anything similar on a couple other websites.
I think it is great that you're trying to be fair to both sides.
Three cheers!
Old Wednesday, November 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road

I can tell you I have rented from both ACE and Royal in the past. Adolf is the owner/manager of ACE and we only rented from him after being jerked around by Caribbean Car rental. And we only rented from ACE once. We rented from royal two years in a row because of the free cell phone. Both times they did not have our car ready for us. One year we had to wait 2 hours before they had a car ready and after two days we had a flat tire, they came right out and fixed it. The following year I requested a Van for 6 people and they gave me a pick up truck. Luckily the rest of my party didn't arrive until the next morning. I finally got the van, the next morning when I went to pick up my freinds from the airport (this is when they were still at the airport) and the battery went dead the next day. They did however come right out and replace it. I will be trying someone new when we go in June.

Old Wednesday, November 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

john, to me it's sort of a no brainer. everyone deserves a chance to defend themselves. if they do a good job of it they keep their customers. if they don't they lose it all. it's up to everyone to decide how they feel.

we have another thread going where the rental management replied. now it is up to those who read it to decide what they think about the problem and the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJT View Post
Thanks, Sherry, for the follow-up information on how this board contacts businesses.
I don't think I've read anything similar on a couple other websites.
I think it is great that you're trying to be fair to both sides.
Three cheers!
Old Thursday, June 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM

lalala is on a distinguished road

I used their service in May and was greatly disappointed.

The cars were in absolutely horrible condition (Scrapes and bumps, old battery, and mix matched tires not to mention the suspension)

I told them where i was staying and they informed me it was a very dangerous part of Aruba and that the insurance i purchased would not cover anything if the car was stolen.

They then told me that no one on the island would cover it if it were stolen... this I found fishy since what is the point of insurance. I called budget car rental simply to check if this was true, ie that no one on the island covers that in the insurance. Budget did, so did econo and also value car rental ...those were the first three i called.

I do not like LIARS... First you LIE about insurance on the island Second you tell me that it is an unsafe area where i will spend my vacation... LIE..... it was on the north shore where i knew my neighbors and they have never had a robbery in their area in the entire 30 years they have lived there. Finally you say that the cars are all very new....... LIE ...a 2006 Yaris is 4 years old and your cars show it!

HOw can you do good business if you lie all the time?

went with budget in the end got a 2010 Hyudai no reservation needed, no hassel
Old Thursday, June 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala View Post
HOw can you do good business if you lie all the time?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.... I wish you would have came across my story before you chose to do business with them. The owner lied to me multiple times... most significantly about whether he even had a car available in the first place ... despite my reservation...

Hopefully you still had a great time ... on such a beautiful island...
Old Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 05:07 PM

sammy123 is on a distinguished road
Default My Experience with Ace Car Rental

I actually have 2 little stories. I was in Aruba 2 months ago and had a reservation with Ace Car Rental as I have done for past 5 years. When I get to airport, I am told by the driver that they have no car for me even thought I had a reservation. They drove me to another car rental company and they had only 1 car available that no one else wanted as it was a large car which used alot of gas. I spent more money on gas then the actual rental itself. Really not Happy at all. Suprise, Suprise !!!!

My 2nd little story when I went back 3 weeks later I actually rented from them once again and took a chance anyway. The good thing is they did have a car for me, but when I gave them my credit card and drivers liscense to pay for it all, within 2 hours of this transaction, SOMEONE ??? starting ordering flowers with my credit card information and my home address which was on my drivers liscense.
They ended up placing 8 seperate orders for flowers on the Internet to be shipped to Europe using my credit card information.
These were all fraudulent charges and I had to cancel the card.The credit card company had called me at my home to question all these charges as they felt they were very suspicious and fraud. I also received many calls from the actual Floral Website companies as thaey also thought it was fruad.
I had not used that credit card in over 1 year and only used it at Ace Car Rental in Aruba. I am not a detective, but this was not to hard to figure out who ordered all the flowers
There was a woman who works at Ace Car Rental, and she is the one who had helped me with my credit card. Within 2 hours of giving her my credit card, they started using my credit card to purchase flowers.
Of course, after the Capital One's Fraud Investigation, they labeled it as pure fraud and I was not responsible for these charges.

This experience was not to pleasent as you could imagine.

BE CAREFUL TO THE WISE !!!!!

Karen
Old Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM

Sammy,

I'm guessing you were lucky enough to have never had a problem before with U-save/Ace. So you just shrugged off (story #1) as a one-time thing. Unfortunately, it seems that they haven't changed at all after my bad experience with them two and a half years ago. They've moved on from ineptitude and deceit, to theft and larceny.

I hope you are able to press charges.

Where are all the U-save apologists now?
Old Friday, August 5th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

I hate to read this kind of thing. Over the last year or so, I have been recommending "Smart-Rentals" as a good option. They just took care of four rentals to one large group that I sent there and every one is very pleased. It takes so very little to be nice and do good business and it take so much effort to screw things up. Take the easy road folks.
be well
charles
Old Monday, January 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM

LeavingAruba is on a distinguished road

bad experience with U-Save / ACE, would not stay again at wacamaya

Rented online (Expedia), went to pick up the next day and there was no available vehicle. Waited in the office because no one was available to give us a ride to town while we waited. Someone dropped off a white Toyota Yaris. The rep said we could take it but they might need to switch it out later because it was rented to someone else.

Had the car for 2 days and on the 3rd morning it was *gone* right outside our apt. Spent that day of our vacation with the police reporting the rental car theft and then at the USave /Ace rental office.

The owner of USave/ACE Adolph blamed his employee - he repeatedly told us right in front of her that "the girl" should not have rented us the car because he doesn't rent to people in apartments, only in the hotels due to the risk of theft. Over and over he repeated that "the girl" was new and didn't know any better. He said Wacamaya village is unsafe and that we should move to a hotel for our safety.

The rental owners said this is common. They denied that it was unsafe. But they had already been through a car theft though. They said don't get a white Yaris.

The police said this happens. Usually at the northern beaches. They usually find the car in 1-2 days. He did not know if it happened at Wacamaya.

After an entire day of first feeling violated, then appalled then just exhausted, we couldn't stand the thought of spending one more night in a dank and moldy apartment at Wacamaya where they keep a baseball bat on the coat rack for additional security and our car was stolen less than 20 feet from where we slept.

I am disappointed that the people who rented us this unit told us (after the theft!) that they had had the same experience. The car rental agencies apparently steal their own cars or steal from each other (this is unverified but was widely repeated). I am more disappointed that there seems to be general knowledge that it is a BAD IDEA to rent a WHITE TOYOTA YARIS because they are quite easy to steal and/or breakdown for parts. This was from both the owners and the rental car owner. Yet neither one bothered to warn us.

Lessons Learned:
don't rent from USave/ACE
don't rent a white toyota yaris
noord polis # is 107
be careful at wacamaya
Old Saturday, January 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM

joesage is on a distinguished road

i just left the island, and adolph explained he had a vehicle stolen.
he was sincerely upset, his first concern, was exactly what has been shared on the internet, questioning the integrity of his business....
in the future, adolph will have protection from theft. i'll be involved with his new protection..
Old Sunday, January 15th, 2012, 12:17 AM

classiclincoln is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread, as I am looking at using them in St. Maartin for our April trip. They were not recommended to me (via TUG), but I found them on line. Will have to think about using them, even though it's in a different country.....

Stu