Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile DC/Baltimore snow

Sherry, what is the weather doing there. GMA says up to 14 inces of snow for your area. Hope you are well supplied. We are supposed to get a "significant" amount of snow on Monday. That will be the 3rd time this winter for us. If we get more than 4 inches, it will be the most snow ever for a winter in NE Oklahoma. And we usually dont get any snow until March. This global warming thing sucks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DC/Baltimore snow

actually, 14" is for south of us. we are expecting 12-24". west of us is expecting 24-30". we seem to be the new snow belt for the usa. they are also predicting snow on tuesday/wednesday. it isn't our worst snowy winter yet but it sure is getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
Sherry, what is the weather doing there. GMA says up to 14 inces of snow for your area. Hope you are well supplied. We are supposed to get a "significant" amount of snow on Monday. That will be the 3rd time this winter for us. If we get more than 4 inches, it will be the most snow ever for a winter in NE Oklahoma. And we usually dont get any snow until March. This global warming thing sucks.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Smile Re: DC/Baltimore snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
actually, 14" is for south of us. we are expecting 12-24". west of us is expecting 24-30". we seem to be the new snow belt for the usa. they are also predicting snow on tuesday/wednesday. it isn't our worst snowy winter yet but it sure is getting there.
14/24/30?? Wow, that is a LOT of snow all at one time. I guess after it gets to 10 inches the rest doesnt matter much because I aint going out anyway. Keep safe. Stock up on wine.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Administrator

i barely have enough wine to last but it will have to do. maybe we will break into the good stuff.

in a city that ran out of snow removal funds after the first two inches fell in december, anything over an inch is a disaster. since we normally get little snow, no one has a clue what to do with it. they can't drive in it, they can't and often don't shovel it and they sure can't clear the streets of it. now they have to borrow funds to plow it. amazing!

Quote:
14/24/30?? Wow, that is a LOT of snow all at one time. I guess after it gets to 10 inches the rest doesnt matter much because I aint going out anyway. Keep safe. Stock up on wine.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
i barely have enough wine to last but it will have to do. maybe we will break into the good stuff.

in a city that ran out of snow removal funds after the first two inches fell in december, anything over an inch is a disaster. since we normally get little snow, no one has a clue what to do with it. they can't drive in it, they can't and often don't shovel it and they sure can't clear the streets of it. now they have to borrow funds to plow it. amazing!
Linda said this is poor planning on our part. We should be in Aruba when Tulsa gets all this snow. Looks like we will be there from 10/03 til 10/15. Not finalized yet.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Almost Aruban

ruba4ever is on a distinguished road

Well, we're hunkering down for what they are calling the biggest snowfall (to come all at once) in 7 years. They are tweaking the forecast for the noon news..so don't know what it will be by then. The last I heard last night....was 3 to 6 inches....or 4 to 8....but since I didn't hear any news this morning I don't know what it is now or what it will be. It does look nasty on radar though. Some schools are calling for early dismissals (smart thinking). Maybe some Wii this weekend. Course hubby will be out plowing if this storm does materialize...(can you tell I am a skeptic when it comes to weather forcasters???) Hope everyone stays safe and sound....relax and enjoy your family. That's what I plan to do...maybe some snuggling??
ruba

Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Our grandkids in Richmond VA area had two "snow days" off from school this week. It is common in the Northeast, not very common in central Virginia. Now, they are going to get another blast. Richmond has had more snow this winter than our old home area, Albany, NY. True, it has been nasty cold in Albany, but only 20 inches of snow (where the yearly average is about 70 inches).

Meanwhile, it was the coldest January in Florida in our 7 years. February started out poorly, but we had a nice warm, sunny day yesterday. Today...cloudy, warm, rain and possible severe weather this afternoon.

Sorry, we're all not in Aruba, but our time is September 11th to October 2nd.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Administrator

the snow just started within the last 10-15 minutes here. i guess we will find out if the 12-24" is a reality very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruba4ever View Post
Well, we're hunkering down for what they are calling the biggest snowfall (to come all at once) in 7 years. They are tweaking the forecast for the noon news..so don't know what it will be by then. The last I heard last night....was 3 to 6 inches....or 4 to 8....but since I didn't hear any news this morning I don't know what it is now or what it will be. It does look nasty on radar though. Some schools are calling for early dismissals (smart thinking). Maybe some Wii this weekend. Course hubby will be out plowing if this storm does materialize...(can you tell I am a skeptic when it comes to weather forcasters???) Hope everyone stays safe and sound....relax and enjoy your family. That's what I plan to do...maybe some snuggling??
ruba
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: DC/Baltimore snow

My area at home is expecting a foot to a foot and a half. My brother and sister in law were supposed to fly out of Philly tomorrow, but now are flying out today at 4:15 to Boston, leaving Boston tomorrow morning at 8:15 AM to Aruba. I'm so glad they were able to change flights...

As an aside... it's not snowing here on Aruba!!!
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Administrator

our governor is doing a live speech right now and stating that we are expecting 20-30 inches.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Almost Aruban

Now we're in for 4 to 7....oy. We'll see...it's not snowing here yet...but it's moving southwest to northeast...so it shouldn't be long. It's like waiting for Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny...such anticiapation. lol. They just showed a piece on the news about the grocery stores...people go crazy like they will never get out of there house again...to funny. I have a piece from our local paper that I want to post here...I'll do it later..gotta go pick up a truck with a plow.....blah....later.
ruba

Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM

As an aside... it's not snowing here on Aruba!!! [/QUOTE]

That hurts, but i'm happy for you. Would be nice to have my feet in 12 inches of white sand.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Administrator

bob, we are going to hurt elaine when she comes home. i know where she lives and i am getting her daughter to turn her heat off.

Quote:
That hurts, but i'm happy for you. Would be nice to have my feet in 12 inches of white sand.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
bob, we are going to hurt elaine when she comes home. i know where she lives and i am getting her daughter to turn her heat off.
Thats cold!
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:

Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 05:34 PM

lmccollom is on a distinguished road

Seriously....20 to 30 inches at one time is insane! Our 16 inches in one day in December was awful. We have only had three or four inches here so far, and are expecting three to five....not so bad, though, because it is 30 degrees so the roads are just wet. Sherry, if I could get there, I would bring wine - really!!!
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmccollom View Post
Seriously....20 to 30 inches at one time is insane! Our 16 inches in one day in December was awful. We have only had three or four inches here so far, and are expecting three to five....not so bad, though, because it is 30 degrees so the roads are just wet. Sherry, if I could get there, I would bring wine - really!!!
Me, too. I'd drop everything here!! I know - I'm a brat who's gonna get a hurtin'. lol

Seriously, stay safe.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Almost Aruban

Well.........the snow is here...........and flying fast. Hubby is now out in his plow.....and I am here worrying. Corinne doesn't want to go to work with the snow they have in Ohio already....about 4 inches........and she has to take Kailey out to a sitter. I'm worrying about that too. Hope they close the restaurant/bar that she works at before she has to go out.
We are now up to a possible 8 inches....oh well.....take care everyone..stay warm....stay dry......and most of all stay safe....stay home if you can......
ruba
P.S. Elaine...you just have a good time....don't worry about us at all...we'll be fine...really, really we will.

Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 06:32 PM

JanetB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lora - you may have to parachute it in for Sherry and I!
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

great idea janet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetB View Post
Lora - you may have to parachute it in for Sherry and I!
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Almost Aruban

Okay...I think we are up to 8 inches already and it's still coming....hubby's been out twice already with the plow...and heading to bed for a 4:30 wake-up. Blah......how is it where you are???
ruba

Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Administrator

ruba, i will gladly trade with you. we are in deep s-h-i-t here. not sure we will have power later since lights were blinking a few minutes ago but i can tell you that on the news they just showed 20 inches on a yardstick outside of one of the tv stations. they are expecting several more inches and the records in the books are all falling. this is actually scary.

Quote:
Okay...I think we are up to 8 inches already and it's still coming....hubby's been out twice already with the plow...and heading to bed for a 4:30 wake-up. Blah......how is it where you are???
ruba
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Aruba Expert

TomFrederick is on a distinguished road

A little while ago had to walk my 7 lb. yorkie out in 20 plus inches in the Columbia area of Maryland. A truck had made a path through the snow out on the road so we just followed that. Didn't have to worry about cars.
4 months to go till I can drink some cold Amstel Bright Beer on Aruba's beach. Got my plane ticket for a direct flight out of Dulles airport.
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Administrator

supposedly, this is a public link for facebook photos. let me know if it works. all pics are from our windows.

Sherry Fink Feit's Photos - snow 02-06-10 | Facebook
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Almost Aruban

Well that post last night was just the tip.....we ended up with 22 inches here.....crazy nuts!!!! Haven't seen snow like this since 1993. 4th largest storm here ever. Couldn't open the front storm door this morning, and that was after shoveling twice yesterday. Hubby has been out since 4 am...and not home yet. Thank goodness it seems to be done snowing.
ruba

Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Administrator

still snowing like crazy here. passed 26.5 inches officially a while ago. tied for #2 now for one store and #2 for most snow for the season. wondering if we will ever get out of our house, lol. snow expected again on tues/wed and now they are predicting more snow on friday!

Quote:
Well that post last night was just the tip.....we ended up with 22 inches here.....crazy nuts!!!! Haven't seen snow like this since 1993. 4th largest storm here ever. Couldn't open the front storm door this morning, and that was after shoveling twice yesterday. Hubby has been out since 4 am...and not home yet. Thank goodness it seems to be done snowing.
ruba
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Almost Aruban

Sherry...26.5....that's alot of snow....we finally ended with 24....that's a measurement that Ray took out back. Crazy nuts.....

You guys stay safe....and inside!!!

Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Administrator

ruba, this is exciting news. the snow has stopped!!! i can't believe it. the snow is finally past falling and into freezing on the roads and lasting until the spring thaw. only two more storms to get thru this week.

Quote:
Sherry...26.5....that's alot of snow....we finally ended with 24....that's a measurement that Ray took out back. Crazy nuts.....

You guys stay safe....and inside!!!
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM

you guys stay inside and be safe. no need to go anywhere. makes our 8 inches seem like a dusting. we get more snow sunday night and monday but not supposed to be a huge amount.
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

The snow pictures on Facebook were amazing...bad memories.
I hated snow and ice and I'm glad we moved south 7 years ago.

Summer is usually our cruddy season...like winter elsewhere.
Yet we are happy with air-conditioned summer in Florida.
If we go north to NY in summer, it is also hot and our friends and family suffer through without air-conditioning.
To us, it would be like enduring winter without heat.

All that said, it has been chilly in central Florida and we DID NEED heat for almost all of January.
Today...mid 60's, chilly wind, still sunny.

I don't think we could afford a home in Aruba. After 7 years in Florida (away from NY winters), we are still content. I will contact friends and family in NY; I think they have escaped the worst of the snow events.

I do sympathize with those who are snowed-in...those without power. Blessings for a quick return to usual living.
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Aruba Expert

TomFrederick is on a distinguished road

For our area total snow 26 inches. Have been walking my small dog out on the road. I feel sorry for all those who had plans to leave for Aruba today. Airports have been close today and BWI out of Baltimore may not be open till Monday.
Also a cruise ship is due in Sunday in Baltimore. A lot of those people will have to dig out their cars and others have no planes waiting to take them home. Incoming cruise people(to take a cruise) may/will be late. The ship no doubt was to sail down the coast to either Mexico or someplace down there.

Last edited by TomFrederick; Saturday, February 6th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
supposedly, this is a public link for facebook photos. let me know if it works. all pics are from our windows.

Sherry Fink Feit's Photos - snow 02-06-10 | Facebook
Those pictures are amazing!

We had some severe weather a couple of weeks back as well. The snow turned into ice on the roads and made it impossible to drive. My usual drive home from work took me over 5 hours what I normally do in 40 minutes. Needless to say I was in need of a bathroom break baaaadly!!!

You know, I know it's very inconvenient and possibly dangerous, but I just can't help admiring the beauty of snow. Maybe it's because I grew up in the tropics and did not see my first snow until I was 20, but I love seeing it. I love it when it snows, because it doesn't make as much noise as rain does.

I just can't help admiring nature.
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

Here's a thought! Maybe you can transport it to Vancouver. Seems they are in dire need of snow!
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Administrator

i totally agree on the beauty of snow.

they had a big problem on I95. it seems there was a many mile backup that started at 5am this morning and was still at a standstill at 6pm this evening. people had run out of gas while sitting there with no food, no bathrooms, no heat. i haven't a clue if they ever opened the road again. i don't understand why they couldn't find a way to get them off at exits. they said that many of the exits were closed due to the horrible snows.

there will be a lot of grumpy people wanting to sue the state of maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
Those pictures are amazing!

We had some severe weather a couple of weeks back as well. The snow turned into ice on the roads and made it impossible to drive. My usual drive home from work took me over 5 hours what I normally do in 40 minutes. Needless to say I was in need of a bathroom break baaaadly!!!

You know, I know it's very inconvenient and possibly dangerous, but I just can't help admiring the beauty of snow. Maybe it's because I grew up in the tropics and did not see my first snow until I was 20, but I love seeing it. I love it when it snows, because it doesn't make as much noise as rain does.

I just can't help admiring nature.
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road

Cross your fingers - our 2 little ABC kitten rescues are supposed to leave today.
What a 'weather' shock they are in for! If I could knit, i'd be making them little sweaters right now!
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Administrator

i will assume that they are all staying another night in the heat of aruba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
Cross your fingers - our 2 little ABC kitten rescues are supposed to leave today.
What a 'weather' shock they are in for! If I could knit, i'd be making them little sweaters right now!
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

Lizzardo, good luck with those kittens, and I will keep my fingers crossed!! And to Sherry, rub4ever, et.al., good luck digging out - wow what a storm you had. Take it slow and easy if shoveling. No one needs any back issues. Still can't believe this storm stayed just a few miles south of us. Sorry, not rubbing it in - I swear LOL
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Aruba Expert

oops - I meant rubA4ever. Although rub4ever must appeal to someone!
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Almost Aruban

thanks roshone...doing okay right now...and you're lucky..this storm did move south to north....it dumped more south and lessened as it moved north. Not the normal....

Lizzardo...congrats on the kitties. That's awesome.

And rub4ever is pretty appealing especially, when it's as cold as it is here today...it was 1 degree this morning. High will only be 22. BRRRRRRRR.....
ruba

Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road

Well the kitties are flying today. Seems there is no
direct flights to Dulles except United on Sundays.
So we are a 'go' to drop them off to Alison.

Let's hope their adoptive mommy can get them
when she arrives. She has the 'expectant
mother' jitters right now. I don't blame her!
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Administrator

i can't believe dulles is open! that is so wonderful. bwi is shut for at least today and possibly tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
Well the kitties are flying today. Seems there is no
direct flights to Dulles except United on Sundays.
So we are a 'go' to drop them off to Alison.

Let's hope their adoptive mommy can get them
when she arrives. She has the 'expectant
mother' jitters right now. I don't blame her!
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Glad the kittens are making it. Speaking of cats, my 4 are really getting sick of the snow. Can cats get cabin fever? They are inside/outside cats. They like to be outside a lot but stay in at night mostly and in cold weather. I have been having to change the litter boxes a lot more often since Christmas.
We are due for 3-5 more inches Monday. Supposed to start out Monday at about 39f and raining and drop to 14f by noon. Doesnt sound so bad after what you guys got on the coast though.
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM

Sherry and Ruba and Janet, I hope you guys all still have power and are staying warm! We are supposed to get another 8-10 inches here on Monday into Tuesday, which probably means another snow day. Argh.
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Almost Aruban

Lora...we're good and thankfully the power has stayed on. I am venturing our for the first time for the Super Bowl....if it wasn't for the that..I would keep my butt at home!!!

We're due for a few inches Tuesday into Wednesday...that is gonna be alot on top of the amount we already have...ugh....

Thanks everyone for the well wishes....

Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Aruba Expert

Arubabob - My cat definitely gets cabin fever, and that's putting it mildly. KC is also an indoor/outdoor cat, but just can't make up his mind where he wants to be this time of year. In, out, in, out, in, out - he's driving us nuts and is virtually climbing the walls looking for something to do. He's only 2 and is just not used to sitting around. We have plenty of toys for him, and we do try to play with him, but he loses interest quickly. Those toys just can't compete with the great outdoors. We finally gave him free run of our basement (he just loves the crawlspace down there) so he could have a change of scenery.
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM

My cats are all indoor cats but definitely get cabin fever...two of them have tried to jump into the windows (to get into the window sills) this weekend when I have opened the blinds. They love to sit in open windows where they can "stalk" the birds and the squirrels. Goofballs.
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
i can't believe dulles is open! that is so wonderful. bwi is shut for at least today and possibly tomorrow.
Last I saw on the news here is that Dulles has 1 runway open and will have very limited service - most flights are canceled. Keeping my fingers crossed that United flight is one that is not, Liz.
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Sherry and Ruba and Janet, I hope you guys all still have power and are staying warm! We are supposed to get another 8-10 inches here on Monday into Tuesday, which probably means another snow day. Argh.

My power was off and on all day yesterday - out for about 5 hours or so last night - which was the worst, as the temps had really plunged and it was pretty darn cold - especially by the windows. I bundled up in sweats and wool socks and piled a 2nd down comforter on the bed - woke up feeling like I was in Death Valley - power was back and heat was on and I was waaaaayyyy over dressed (although the cats were very happy!).
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator

my cats are indoor cats. funny thing is my little aruban cat can't get used to the sound of boots and shoveling. he keeps hiding every time we go out to shovel.

i need to move to somewhere hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
Arubabob - My cat definitely gets cabin fever, and that's putting it mildly. KC is also an indoor/outdoor cat, but just can't make up his mind where he wants to be this time of year. In, out, in, out, in, out - he's driving us nuts and is virtually climbing the walls looking for something to do. He's only 2 and is just not used to sitting around. We have plenty of toys for him, and we do try to play with him, but he loses interest quickly. Those toys just can't compete with the great outdoors. We finally gave him free run of our basement (he just loves the crawlspace down there) so he could have a change of scenery.
Old Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Aruba Expert

Aaah, but how we so love our goofballs. Our main concern when we go to Aruba is leaving our baby behind for such a long time. Thank God for good neighbors - we are lucky enough to have someone who loves our cat like her own and takes good care of KC. And we do the same for them. Unfortunately, although they're our closest friends, we can never go on vacation together because of our cats!