Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default it is with deep regret

today, i received information from someone that i may have made a big mistake. rumors abound about tessa. on one board there are statements from her owner that she is in seclusion awaiting transport. seaport says that she has left for atlanta. i personally think because of the volatile nature of all threads on all boards and due to the natural love of arubans for all animals, her owner has possibly tried to protect himself from the anger that might come of the news i am about to post below.

i need to thank bkelly59, a new member, and andrea and 'old' member for trying to keep us straight. i am going to leave this thread open for comments for a day or two and then close it as it should be, in respect to tessa. i also have a copy of an email from bornfree.com that shows how hard the people of aruba worked to try to help her so please remember that as we post our feelings. i am not posting it because it was personal email that was sent on to me and i have absolutely no right to post it here without permission of the writer.

now, as the moderator, i hope you will allow me to make my few comments. i am an avid animal lover. as such, i can't manage to visit zoos, circuses, pet stores that sell animals or anything else. my 'pets' have always owned me. although tessa's cage was about as humane as a cage can be, it was still a cage and i found that i avoided that part of downtown.

i would like to use a quote from bkelly59 who actually knew tessa in england.

'tessa a message for you my darling - at least now you will know what it is like to be free - go run with the wind and be happy - my god you deserve it'

the following is the news from bornfree.com:

Tessa, the "ESSO" tiger dies

On 27th September, Born Free received the sad news that Tessa, the Esso tiger, had died.

Tessa had been used regularly throughout her life on television and appeared in a number of Esso commercials as well as featuring on the Esso bill-broads in petrol stations. She has spent the last four years in Aruba, in the Caribbean. Paraded daily for tourists and chained to a table, Tessa was reportedly being used as a photographic object by her owner, Marc Chandler. Tourists were apparently charged US$25 a photograph.

A source close to Mr. Chandler, Tessa's life-time owner, told Born Free that she had died of a heart attack in early hours on 23rd September at Mr.Chandler's home in Aruba. She was reportedly 13 years old and had been suffering from chronic arthritis.

Daniel Turner, spokesperson for the Born Free Foundation said, "The Born Free Foundation has been receiving reports from hundreds of distressed tourists, pleading with Born Free to help Tessa. We vowed to do what we could and launched a campaign, to try to stop her exploitation and to seek a tolerable retirement for Tessa."

Following a Daily Mail article (01/11/03) reporting on Tessa's plight and the resulting public outcry, the Born Free Foundation launched a campaign in December 2003. Working together with the newspaper, Western Morning News, the campaign appealed to the Aruban authorities to stop Tessa's exploitation and to seek an alternative, more tolerable retirement for her elsewhere away from the camera. The public's support for this campaign has been staggering. People wrote in their hundreds to ask the Ministry of Culture, Labor and Sport in Aruba to stop Tessa's exploitation.

The campaign instigated action and a special envoy from the Royal Embassy of the Netherlands in Washington DC visited the Island in early 2004. The Aruban Government then reportedly asked Marc Chandler to leave the island. Rumour followed that Mr. Chandler was taking Tessa to New Zealand but on speaking with the authorities there, Born Free learnt this was not the case. Further investigation revealed that Tessa would be going to the Big Cat Haven in Dawsonville, Georgia USA for emergency treatment for her arthritis. Upon investigation by Born Free, the US authorities confirmed that Tessa would be going to America but only for a six month period for the treatment, after which time, she would have to return to Aruba. The authorities in Aruba, however, were adamant that Tessa and Mr. Chandler could not return.

Mr. Turner explained, "Prior to Tessa's death, Born Free had secured the offer of a long term home for her at the PAWS sanctuary in California." He continued, "Esso also came forward with an offer of funding, however Mr.Chandler still had to be persuaded to relinquish Tessa".

Born Free was still in talks with the US authorities and investigating other ways to communicate with Mr. Chandler, when the news about her untimely death was received. Born Free hopes that a full post mortem will be carried out to clarify her cause of death. In captivity tigers can be expected to exceed 20 years of age. It is such a tragic ending to the life of a beautiful animal that had, like so many captive wild animals around the world, been exploited for commercial gain.

As far as the Born Free Foundation is concerned, Tessa's life will not be in vain, Born Free will continue to campaign against the exploitation of captive wild animals in zoos, circuses, in magic shows and as photographic props.

Born Free would like to thank all those people who have supported Tessa's campaign, and hope that they will continue to follow and support the work of the Born Free Foundation.

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/SHERRY~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/tessa2.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/SHERRY~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/tessa3.jpg[/img]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 10:46 AM

nanc-arella is on a distinguished road
Default Re: it is with deep regret

horrible news
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry

i would like to use a quote from bkelly59 who actually knew tessa in england.

'tessa a message for you my darling - at least now you will know what it is like to be free - go run with the wind and be happy - my god you deserve it'
This quote from bkelly is so heartwrenching.... and, yet Tessa IS finally free. I remember seeing her years ago in a show..... she was gorgeous. After the show was over, anyone in the audience who wanted to was invited to stay and get close to her. Being an animal lover..... and because she was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen... I stayed and got to pet her and tell her how gorgeous she was. She was so tame and loving! I never wanted to see her in a cage, and when I was at the Waterfront Crab House this past February... I caught sight of a very sad tiger... a shell of the beautiful animal she was. Sad as I am, she finally is fee at last.
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 11:02 AM

bkelly59 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: it is with deep regret

I am so sorry that I was the bearer of such sad news, I have tried to follow Tessa's activities as best as I could ever since she left the UK. I just wish that Marc Chandler had let her go years ago to let her have the lifestyle that she would have loved. There was a very special bond between them I will not argue that and he did love her deeply, but when the pounds started to roll in there was a change. I will never agree with anyone that what he done for her was right. All I know is that now she is free to live as a tiger should live and she will never have to suffer the exploitation again.

Take Care Tessa - No more suffering - You are free

Also out of this I have found a friend in Sherry (speak soon)
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S
. She was so tame and loving! I never wanted to see her in a cage, and when I was at the Waterfront Crab House this past February... I caught sight of a very sad tiger... a shell of the beautiful animal she was. Sad as I am, she finally is fee at last.
I noticed this too Elaine in April. Tessa could hardly move. At least, she is no longer in pain.

Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Aruba Expert

amie is on a distinguished road

What a disgrace....enough said.

She finally escaped. Good for her. I'm just sad it had to be this way.
"I'm not an actress. I just play one on t.v."
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Fisherlady48 is on a distinguished road

I do not understand. How is this so, when I just read that she is scheduled to be flown out of Aruba next week???

This was run in yesterday;s paper in Aruba. Do you have a web site to the paper in England that can be quoted?

hmmmmmm
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Administrator

yes i do. i promise you that i would never post something this serious without written confirmation. this should lead you directly to the article.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/zoocheck/zcnews040929.shtml
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 01:19 PM

andrea j. is on a distinguished road

Ya know, quite honestly I hope that she is indeed in heaven. She was old, very crippled from arthritis and has only known one owner...Marc Chandler.
If she had been taken to Atlanta, she'd be pretty unhappy without her lifelong partner, Marc Chandler. I have no doubt that he loved her and she loved him.

That being said, I seriously think that he did not act in her best interest especially during her later years! Maybe greed? Maybe not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherlady48
I do not understand. How is this so, when I just read that she is scheduled to be flown out of Aruba next week???

This was run in yesterday;s paper in Aruba. Do you have a web site to the paper in England that can be quoted?

hmmmmmm
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Tim & Ang is on a distinguished road

Sherry,

I know it wasn't easy putting the best words together to let us know the sad news and you did it in a very respectful way. I appluade you in the way you handled things. Thank you!

bkelly59,

Thank you also for putting our minds at ease to now know Tessa is in a better place with no questions asked on whether or not she is getting the best care. We all now know she is as you said - FREE!! Thank you again!

Ang
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

I was at Cafe the Plaza last Tuesday and asked the waitress where Tessa was. She said that the owner had told her that he was going to take her to a secluded area awaiting her transport. I asked when this had happened she said a few days ago. She also said that it would not surprise her if they put her down before she was transported because she looked so sick. The last time I saw Tessa was a few day after Ivan. She looked horrible and was obviously in a lot pain and agony. I believe that she was taken away because they knew they did not have a whole lot of time left and wanted to avoid a total scandal.

You may remember I doubted the message from Mr. Mans that she was taken to an airconditioned place to stay away from the heat.

I do not believe her owner loved her. He was using her to make money. If he had he would have gotten her treatment before. He would have paid for the treatment herself and not wait till others jump in.

I am not glad Tessa died, but I am glad she is free from that idiot and is no longer in pain. Marc Chandler should be put on trial for animal cruelty.
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Shelly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
I was at Cafe the Plaza last Tuesday and asked the waitress where Tessa was. She said that the owner had told her that he was going to take her to a secluded area awaiting her transport. I asked when this had happened she said a few days ago. She also said that it would not surprise her if they put her down before she was transported because she looked so sick. The last time I saw Tessa was a few day after Ivan. She looked horrible and was obviously in a lot pain and agony. I believe that she was taken away because they knew they did not have a whole lot of time left and wanted to avoid a total scandal.

You may remember I doubted the message from Mr. Mans that she was taken to an airconditioned place to stay away from the heat.

I do not believe her owner loved her. He was using her to make money. If he had he would have gotten her treatment before. He would have paid for the treatment herself and not wait till others jump in.

I am not glad Tessa died, but I am glad she is free from that idiot and is no longer in pain. Marc Chandler should be put on trial for animal cruelty.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!!!!!!
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra

Ditto! Sherry, thanks for the link to Born Free. The picture of her so beautiful broke my heart.

Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Administrator

for those of you who thought you lost your minds because this thread seemed to disappear, i realized that i had it in the wrong section and moved it where it belongs. ok, so no one said i was brilliant, but i am sincere.
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 10:30 PM

Winebrat is on a distinguished road

When I read this in the AM, there where so many things I wanted to say in response to this tragedy but I've narrowed it down to a statement.

There should be some kind of liscensure/certification/department/whatever that monitors/allows ALL pet owners.

I can't believe the ignorance of some people who own animals. They are living, breathing gifts on this earth that some humans will do anything to exploit. They should be considered a family member not a commodity. OOh! I'm getting all worked up again!!!

PS - I am a dog rescuer and have seen this too often.
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Administrator

amen, winebrat. we as humans aren't always very human, are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winebrat
When I read this in the AM, there where so many things I wanted to say in response to this tragedy but I've narrowed it down to a statement.

There should be some kind of liscensure/certification/department/whatever that monitors/allows ALL pet owners.

I can't believe the ignorance of some people who own animals. They are living, breathing gifts on this earth that some humans will do anything to exploit. They should be considered a family member not a commodity. OOh! I'm getting all worked up again!!!

PS - I am a dog rescuer and have seen this too often.
Old Friday, October 1st, 2004, 04:35 AM

Sandra, could not agree with you more about Marc Chandler going on trial
for animal cruelty.
He knew she was sick, Born Free was there to help and still he continued to
use her right to the end.
Does anyone know whats happened to Marc Chandler is he still in Aruba?
I know he wont be very welcome back here in the UK. There's rumours flying around here at the moment but I really dont want to speculate until I've heard the results of the post-mortem.
Old Friday, October 1st, 2004, 08:19 AM

I have an update on Marc Chandler - apparantly he is unable to leave Aruba until he has paid back all of his debts to the island.

So when is the linching party going out to find him - wish I could be there.
Old Friday, October 1st, 2004, 08:20 AM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

We saw Tessa on sept 15, and were saddened at her appearance. I already knew of the situation, but the rest of our group had not been informed - there was a sign outside the cage explaining the battle over money/legal issues to ship her to the US, which read as though Marc was doing all he could and that other powers were working against him...I suspected otherwise. My point being that to the uninformed, Marc was a hero; to the close followers of her plight, he appeared the villain collecting what he could and using her until her demise.

My wife actually made the comment while were there that she was surprised that Tessa hadn't had a heart attack during Ivan, prophetically it seems...she was just lying there looking so sad and weak, much more so than our visit last year.

Because of our repeated stays at the Ren, she became a part of our vacations. I would agree that it was sad to see her that way, but I understood that she had been born (and lived her life) in captivity and also suffered from arthritic conditions, so I was not one of the people screaming for her to be set free.

Thank you Sherry and bkelly, both of you were very eloquent and respectful in delivering such sad news. In a year (for me) of many eras ending, this is another.

She is indeed as free as can be now, so I hope she runs with the fastest legs she ever knew.
Old Friday, October 1st, 2004, 08:44 AM

jdmoon1 is on a distinguished road

When I saw her in town for the first time I could not believe her conditions.
I hope the powers that be in Atuba don't allow anymore animals to be sentenced to this type of confinement in the future.
Old Saturday, October 2nd, 2004, 06:47 PM
Administrator

i want to thank bkelly59 (better known as sue) for starting the ball rolling on this entire story. i think we all would have been left in the dark if she hadn't sent the article to me. you will note by the date on the tradewinds article following these comments that it took 10 days after tessa's death for it to be known publicly. it is nice to see that
the donors will get their money back:

TESSA DIED TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO HER TRIP FOR TREATMENT
Oranjestad, Aruba October 2nd 2004,

Just two weeks prior to her trip to Atlanta for treatment, Tessa the tiger
died at 13 years of age. The exact cause of death is still being investigated,
though she died of different complications. The news of Tessa’s death is only now
publicly known, it appears that Tessa died on September 22nd.

Veterinary Pieter Barendsen of Animal Rights Aruba (ARA)was the first to receive
the unpleasant news. The owner of Tessa, Marc Chandler called Barendsen on September
21st voicing his concern on Tessa's fast deteriorating health. A few days prior,
Chandler moved Tessa from the habitat at the Seaport Market Place to his home in
order to prepare the tiger in a quiet environment for her trip to Atlanta on October
7th for treatment. The tiger was located in an air-conditioned room as it could
not bare the heat anymore. On the night of September 21st to the 22nd Tessa died of
several complications according to Barendsen. An autopsy would
have to conclude the exact cause of death.

Chandler who had a very special bond with Tessa, would like to have the tiger
buried near his home on the island. According to ARA that is allowed, there is
no Law in Aruba that forbids burying wild animals such as a tiger.

The official cause of death is important in having the ticket refunded
from the airline. Approximately $10,000 was collected from voluntaries
to pay for the trip of the tiger to Atlanta. ARA says that the money
will be given back to those that gave a donation
Old Monday, October 4th, 2004, 07:48 AM

Maybe Tradewinds was prompted to say something after the e-mail I sent
them. They said that:
Bengal White Tiger moved to secret location on the Island.
I said
Tessa is an ORANGE SIBERIAN TIGER the largest tiger in the world
and why were they not aware that Tessa had died from a heart attack
on 23rd September 2004 - I pointed out that I was writing from England and
knew more information than them.
I've had no reply from them either.
Old Monday, October 4th, 2004, 09:39 AM

The money that has been raised through donations could this not be used if the donators agreed, to either build Tessa a memorial on the Island, help the animals of the island or go to a recognised big cat rescue centre on behalf of Tessa.

I'm not sure of the right people to contact to put this idea forward so if anybody has names and numbers please let me know.
Old Monday, October 4th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: it is with deep regret

I don't know about anyone on this board...but I owe a 8 pound Maltese Dog and I would move heaven and earth to get him medical care if he needed it....yes including a bank loan for the 10,000 dollars !!! Marc dickered around with Tessa's health situation for damn near a year !!!! That's what killed her.....the dragging of his feet waiting for everyone else to pay for the trip and treatment. He took on the ownership of her and with that goes the responsibility to care for her totally. I don't buy a horse, even though I love them.....cause I know they are very expensive to care for.....maybe Marc should have anticipated somewhere in the life of an animal vets are needed and with a Tiger that would mean substanial dollars.....I'm so sorry that he bargained damn near 10 months of her life away waiting for some DAMN MONEY !!!!! Irresponsible pet owners make me crazy !
Old Monday, October 4th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Keith'n'Amy is on a distinguished road

I'd echo Kevin's thought. Although I had NO idea about Tessa before we went to Aruba in September, Amy and I nearly hurled after reading the sign on the cage. I literally got a sick feeling in my stomach and we promptly left. (I think I alluded to that in my trip report.)

Hope she's in a better place.... and Marc ain't.

Cheers~
Keith
Old Monday, October 4th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelldiver
I don't know about anyone on this board...but I owe a 8 pound Maltese Dog and I would move heaven and earth to get him medical care if he needed it....yes including a bank loan for the 10,000 dollars !!! Marc dickered around with Tessa's health situation for damn near a year !!!! That's what killed her.....the dragging of his feet waiting for everyone else to pay for the trip and treatment. He took on the ownership of her and with that goes the responsibility to care for her totally. I don't buy a horse, even though I love them.....cause I know they are very expensive to care for.....maybe Marc should have anticipated somewhere in the life of an animal vets are needed and with a Tiger that would mean substanial dollars.....I'm so sorry that he bargained damn near 10 months of her life away waiting for some DAMN MONEY !!!!! Irresponsible pet owners make me crazy !
I agree with you 100% percent, seashell!

Old Monday, October 4th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: it is with deep regret

Aside from the obvious..... making thousands upon thousand of dollars from this beautiful creature, what used to tick me off more than anything was that I was always so warm walking around in the evening, and I could only imagine how uncomfortable Tessa was when I'd see her panting. I can't imagine day after day in that heat.... it was inhumane. If Chandler truly loved her the way so many people said he did, and the way he professed to - he would have seen to her simple daily creature comforts... How should we expect him to see that she got the medical care she needed when he wasn't even concerned about her living accomodations? The few times that I walked passed her cage and saw someone in there having their photo taken, I wanted to scream.... tell them not to do it. As Kevin said... the uninformed had no clue and couldn't be blamed. Hopefully, what goes around comes around, and Mr. Chandler, and I use that word loosely... will get his! Tessa's problems are over now.... she's pain free, and happy! I hope his are just beginning!!! His money "machine" is finished!!