Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, August 15th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Oakley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort Trip Report

Sorry for this but I couldn't figure out how to post it in the other section. The Divi Village didn't have a section.

Have some time so here it goes.

Arrived at Dulles at 6 for a 9 am Takeoff. Absolutely no problems!!! Was turely amazed at that but not complaining. Flight down was interesting sitting next to a family of four with two little kids. WHy the kids were going is beyand me. Parents did little if anything to control them and all they wanted to do is go from Moms lap next to me to there dad in the row infront. Kids continually trying to climb over, through and on top of me. It got old in a hurry and the parents seemed to think that it was OK. Talked to the parents several times and the flight attendents and got little if any releaf. FULL Plane and no where to go. United 1070. I finally grabbed the three year old and told him not to touch me again!! He got the message but the parents looked as if I was some sort of bad guy. Oh well, if they weren't going to do something they sure as heck weren't going to say something to me.

Got to Aruba and left them behind, Thank God, and customs and baggage was a snap. Cab to the resort and found our Unit still not finished. They put us in comparable unit and gave us AI for all Divi resorts to make up. Saved a lot of money but spent it on more bling blings at Kays anyway. Put suits on and of to the pool and then the beach. Went up and said Hi to Jimmy at Ocean view bar and had the first of many free Aruba Aribas. Took a nice walk on the beach and then called it a night.
Got up the next morning and was informed I would have to change rooms one more time. They did make it very easy and helped move our stuff at Noon and lost little if any bar time. This next room was better so it worked out great over all. Can't tell you what I did SUnday but soaked up sun and had great drinks. Dinner at Ocean Breeze CAfe at Divi Village on them but not great. Monday we checked out the time share office and set a time to tour our yet unfinished unit for Tuesday afternoon. More Pool and beach time. Then more bar time, and more bar time, and more bar time and.... well you get the picture.
Tuesday we went to Divi Village golf and Beach Resort time share office and were finally given the straight skinny on a completion date for the time shares. Where originally told that they would be using the first four Eagle units and the first Birdie unit the day we left BUTTTTT..... after we took the tour let me say to all of you out waiting as we have for the last two years, it is still a few months away. Birdie 1,2,3 are ready now but the area around them, including the pool is not ready by a long shot. I would say at least a month or two before I would want to be over in that section. Construction going on all around you and blowing dird and debre everywhere. Birdie not even close. I will try and post pictures tomorrow to show my point. We went back to the office and where told that our maintanece fee for next year was being paid for and RCI member dues for next year also. The contract was moved to start next year, so all in all I was very satisfied. They took great care of us. Then came the sales pitch to buy the ajoining suite to my one bedroom for the same month.We said no but listened to the pitch anyway. Long story short we now own the whole bottom floor of Eagle 1, week 32. GREAT DEAL!!!!!!! Now I get to go twice as much or have many friends to go with me and pay for everything!!!!!!!!
Had Dinner that night at El Goucho and the steaks were better than I remembered.
Wednesday my brother in-law and I went deep sea fishing while the ladies went shopping and all us had a great time. Only time willl tell what it really cost!
We went out on the Jeliray all day and had a great time. My brother in-law was first in the chair and hooked up with a blue marlin sale fish and worked his butt off for 45 minutes. ( I have pictures to prove this also and will be in the same group as the timeshare photos) First fish bigger than a 6 inch bass he ever caught. After pictures and resetting the lines I found him in the cabin where he stated that he was done for the day! He was shaking like a leaf and his arms were about to fall off. But he was one happy fisherman! I was next in the seat and guess what? another sailfish, this one even bigger. The captain and the mate were speechless. After another 45 minute fight and more pictures we were ready for a rest and of course we got one. Nothing more for several hours. Lots of strikes but nothing hooked. Seas at this point were getting very rough but no one got sick. Finally found some luck and reeled in three Albacore tuna. At one point had a wahoo on but right at the bout he got off. After 7 hours of rough seas we headed back and on the way in caught two baracuda. What a great time. The Captain said that the other boats out that day had one or two fish total so we did very well. The mate fileted the tuna and baracuda and we took that to Gilbert the chef at the Sea Breeze cafe and he made most of it up for us. OUTSTANDING!!!!! Best meal of the trip. We told him to keep the rest and said we would do it all again next year.
Thursday we rented a car for two days and toured the island. The in-laws first trip so we went and hit the main spots. Looked for the natural pool for about an hour and finally found the end of the road. We were going to walk from there but it was unusually hot last week (108 degree heat index even with the great breeze) and the trail out to the pool is so bad that eccono wouldn't let us take any of there vehicals out there. One lady had just come back and said that it took her and another jeep over an hour to make the trip. So now I get to look forward to it next trip. That night we did the Le Dome dinner cruise and had a great time and a fabulus Dinner. It was very windy and you had to hold on to everything, drinks included. The sunset was spectacular and all inall was a great time. Friday we played golf at Divi golf course and played OK. Course is in great shape for being so new. only lost one ball. We had dinner at Aqua Grill and had a great seafood dinner. Went to the Alhambra for some gambling and came away even which I count as a win!!
Saturday we turned in the car and layed in the sun until checkout. Got to the airport three hours early and took us about an hour and a half to get all through the maze of getting through to the gate.
1) hour + to check in and get boarding passes
2) Check passport and boarding pass to get into the departure building
3) passport and boarding pass to go through Aruba customs
4) half hour to get through security screening
5) 15 minutes to find and pick out all our luggage to haul through US Customs
6) 15 minutes to get through US Customs (don't forget to fill out customs forms beofe you get to the window)
7) 15 Minutes because we were the unlucky random luggage search
8) 10 minutes to go through US (second) security screening
9) 30 minutes waiting to board the flight.

Bad family from trip down shows up but is in different seats. Three rows behind us but right behind sister-in-law. Kids kick the back of her seat for four hours straight. Again parents and flight attendents do nothing.

Tell me again why parents would pay to take little kids to Aruba?????

Get into Dulles one hour early.

We head straight for the smoking lounge and bar before we go get our luggage and we don't even smoke!

51 weeks until Aruba. Starting to make my little X's on my new calendar all ready!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, August 15th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Almost Aruban

donnie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort Trip Report

Geez oakley get over the kid deal already.
Other than that, it was a good trip report. Valuable information about the Divi.
Thanks.

Last edited by donnie; Monday, August 15th, 2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old Monday, August 15th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Nothing to get over. Just stating the fact that some parents shouldn't have kids if they don't know how to raise them. If I would have known it was happening at the time I would have disciplined them myself. I tell you what Donnie, you can have the kid kick the back of your seat the next flight to Aruba. And for that matter have them bug you the intire trip.

Old Monday, August 15th, 2005, 02:49 PM

EDDIE1 is on a distinguished road

Great trip report!

I stay at Costa Linda and can't wait to see the progress that has been made at Divi.

I also agree with you about kids. I brought up three of my own and NEVER NEVER let them get out of control on an airplane.

Parents should at least have a small consideration of others on a plane, while we all know you can't always control children, you should at least try, and if kids can't be controlled, left at home. People pay too much for vacations to be ruined by unrully children.
Old Monday, August 15th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Almost Aruban

donnie is on a distinguished road

You pay for the trip Oakley and I'll gladly go with kids and their behavior. Most children I have gone on trips with have behaved very well so you can't condemn and entire class of people due to the behavior of 3 bad ones.
Old Wednesday, August 17th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Donnie, You must be in the media to take my remarks and twist them the way you do. All I said was I didn't know why kids would go to Aruba and the ones on my flight were terible. I didn't condem any one, any group, any airline any anything. Is your last name Grace?

Old Wednesday, August 17th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda with Oakley on this one, donnie! My daughter was taught to behave in public. I was pretty strict with this. I have noticed a sharp decline in kid behavior since Jamie was little. Parents do not seem to discipline as much, and Oakley should not have to have kids climbing over him on a plane. My other pet peeve is children allowed to run around in restaurants.

Otherwise, it sounds like a great trip, Oakley!

Old Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Twilyte is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort Trip Report

Thansk for the trip report, Oakley. Rick and I will be in Aruba on Saturday, staying at the Divi Golf and Beach Resort (is that what the're calling Divi Village these days?) Anyway, can't wait to see the progress. Our 2 bedroom unit overlooks the coarse and the bew units. Curious as to what the view will look like when it's all completed.

As for kids ... parents should maintain control of their children's actions at all times. It is so frustrating to have children climbing all over you in planes and waiting areas, kicking you because theyr'e tryign to get comfortable, screaming at the top of their lungs at restaurants, running wild and free while knocking over chairs, luggage, people, etc. This may sound like I hate children, but I do not. My kids were raised to respect others and hardly ever caused a problem whenever we went anywhere. In fact, we got lots of compliments on how well behaved they were. My daughter is raising my grandkids teh same way... and they are a joy to be around. Some day, maybe parents will realize that they are judged by the actiions of their children... and what the parents do or don't do about their kids behavior. IMO, if children are unruley, then there's a set of parents how just don't care enough to make things right.

3 days and a wake-up and we're off for 8 beautiful days!

"Typos are a figmentation of the imagination." -- tea
Old Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

i have a philosophy about families with children. a section of the plane should be marked off for them and no children should be allowed in the adults only parts of the plane. i love kids but i hate behavior problems. we spent 6 hours with a screaming brat on a flight back from england. the flight attendants even tried playing with the child. he had a 6 hour temper tantrum and from what i saw, his parents were used to it. i won't tell you what i wanted to do with him but it has to do with leaving his parachute off.

fyi, most doctors will give you a very mild child approved sedation for if you request it. they should also be given a decongestant of some sort since many are crying due to ear problems caused by altitude. if your children do not behave in closed quarters such as airplanes you have the obligation to control and not subject others to their tantrums.

this is just my personal opinion but i bet most will agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley
Nothing to get over. Just stating the fact that some parents shouldn't have kids if they don't know how to raise them. If I would have known it was happening at the time I would have disciplined them myself. I tell you what Donnie, you can have the kid kick the back of your seat the next flight to Aruba. And for that matter have them bug you the intire trip.
Old Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 04:29 PM

thrix is on a distinguished road

Oakley, I can empathize with you on the kids and plane situation. On our return flight home from Aruba, Sat. three kids, probably 10 - 13 years old sat behind us and thought they were at a Fun House or something. Once they started wrestling with each other bumping into my seat I decided enough was enough and turned to their oblivous parents and them to control their damn kids and act like responsible parents. After they saw me give it to their parents to kids decided it might be a good time to take naps.

One other point is that the flight attendants heard and saw these kids acting up and didn't say a word. Years ago it seemed that they were much more apt to attempt to stop these situations more so than today. At least that's my take on it.
Old Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 06:47 PM

andrea j. is on a distinguished road

Parent's must do a better job being parents!
Sherry's right, parents should check with their children's pediatrician re: decongestants and kiddie tranqs.
Kiddie sections on planes seem like a wonderful idea. Velcroed to the wing?

Reading Oakley's trip report.....................did any of you pick up on the words : "I finally grabbed the three year old and told him not to touch me again!! " ?
No matter what the situation, an adult (a stranger nonetheless) grabbed another person's child and told the kid not to touch him again.
Really it should never have come to that and the parents were the first to make the mistake by failing to deal with and control the situation. Oakley (sorry i do not mean to flaime) should not have grabbed the kid.

andrea j.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley
I finally grabbed the three year old and told him not to touch me again!! He got the message but the parents looked as if I was some sort of bad guy. Oh well, if they weren't going to do something they sure as heck weren't going to say something to me.

!
Old Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Administrator

only thing i disagree with that i probably would have grabbed the kid myself after several trips across my lap. just to hold him still long enough to tell him no and to get the parents attention. however, the best solution would have been to trade places with one of the parents so they were all together. well, that isn't the best solution but the others i am thinking of are illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea j.
Parent's must do a better job being parents!
Sherry's right, parents should check with their children's pediatrician re: decongestants and kiddie tranqs.
Kiddie sections on planes seem like a wonderful idea. Velcroed to the wing?

Reading Oakley's trip report.....................did any of you pick up on the words : "I finally grabbed the three year old and told him not to touch me again!! " ?
No matter what the situation, an adult (a stranger nonetheless) grabbed another person's child and told the kid not to touch him again.
Really it should never have come to that and the parents were the first to make the mistake by failing to deal with and control the situation. Oakley (sorry i do not mean to flaime) should not have grabbed the kid.

andrea j.
Old Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry
only thing i disagree with that i probably would have grabbed the kid myself after several trips across my lap. just to hold him still long enough to tell him no and to get the parents attention. however, the best solution would have been to trade places with one of the parents so they were all together. well, that isn't the best solution but the others i am thinking of are illegal.
Unfortunately, being a social worker, I would have to say that the parents would probably have had you arrested. The parents who do not discipline their children blame anyone and everyone for their children's behavior and will be the first to press charges, that's why the kids act like they do.

Old Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Administrator

yes, you are quite right but that is the major problem, isn't it. many parents today do not accept responsibility for their own children and the inappropriate behaviors they display.

a quick story...several years ago my cousin was at a local affluent mall eating a slice of pizza with her husband. they went to leave and a small child who had been running unsupervised thru the mall the entire time they were eating tried to follow them out the door. my cousin grabbed him enough to turn him around and keep him from running outside. about 15 minutes after she got home, there was a knock on her door. it was the police coming to arrest her for attempted kidnapping. seems the parents saw her touch the child, ran after the car, got the plate number and called the cops.

fortunately my cousin has an even bigger mouth than i do and told the cop her version. her version was 'i raised three kids already. why in the world would anyone want that miserable child?' she then went on to tell the cop that the parents were lucky it was her and not some pedophile that had seen the child. the cop left, nodding in agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiviAruba
Unfortunately, being a social worker, I would have to say that the parents would probably have had you arrested. The parents who do not discipline their children blame anyone and everyone for their children's behavior and will be the first to press charges, that's why the kids act like they do.
Old Wednesday, August 31st, 2005, 06:16 AM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i have a philosophy about families with children. a section of the plane should be marked off for them and no children should be allowed in the adults only parts of the plane. i love kids but i hate behavior problems. we spent 6 hours with a screaming brat on a flight back from england. the flight attendants even tried playing with the child. he had a 6 hour temper tantrum and from what i saw, his parents were used to it. i won't tell you what i wanted to do with him but it has to do with leaving his parachute off.
This is the best idea. They should also be in the back with the engines so you can't hear them yelling. I have been on a lot of planes with kids kicking the back of my seat the whole time. A lot of parents either don't pay attention, or don't care. When I went to DisneyWorld with my nephew last Sept. I was so aware of his behavior, I was probably the biggest B---H because I did not want people to get annoyed, but he was a saint the whole time on the plane and at Disney. It seemed like 99% of the kids at Disney were well behaved which suprised me. It would have been otherwise if he was with my sister.

Quote:
a quick story...several years ago my cousin was at a local affluent mall eating a slice of pizza with her husband. they went to leave and a small child who had been running unsupervised thru the mall the entire time they were eating tried to follow them out the door. my cousin grabbed him enough to turn him around and keep him from running outside. about 15 minutes after she got home, there was a knock on her door. it was the police coming to arrest her for attempted kidnapping. seems the parents saw her touch the child, ran after the car, got the plate number and called the cops.

fortunately my cousin has an even bigger mouth than i do and told the cop her version. her version was 'i raised three kids already. why in the world would anyone want that miserable child?' she then went on to tell the cop that the parents were lucky it was her and not some pedophile that had seen the child. the cop left, nodding in agreement.
Unfortunately this is what our world has come to. Parents always feel their children are right and can do no wrong. Those people were crazy, she would have taken the kid since the parents obviously were not watching. Kids are taught early in school, which is a bad thing, that their parents can't touch them and if they do to tell someone or the police. The kids get mad and threaten to call the social service agency and the parents then get scared and do nothing to control the children. So many kids call in that they are being abused just to 'get back' at their parents because they did something they did not like. What a mess! The schools stress too much that parents cannot touch the children, they over do it, while the really abused kids are afraid to say anything.

OK, I'll shut up. After 17 years working for a social service agency I've seen it all. But I will have 1 week off not to think about it unless I meet up with some unruly children in Aruba, then work comes back to haunt me. LOL

Old Wednesday, August 31st, 2005, 11:48 AM

One last post on this subject that I guess I started and then the end.

First of all the whole problem today is that everyone is affraid to do anything. The more nothing is done the worse it gets. My wife is a teacher and we are very awhere of the problems that are now previlant because of Dr Spock (sp?)and his never spank a child crap.

When I stated that I grabbed the kid I did not say I picked him up and beat him. I said I grabbed him, and it was while he was on top of me for the tenth time. I had no choice but grab him as he was climbing on me and kicking his way over me spilling my drink and interrupting what ever it was I was trying to do. I did my lecture as I was putting him down off of me and blocking his continued assault. As for worried about what the parents might do to me, there would have been 150 passengers that would have been glad to testify on my behalf I'm sure. There was a collective exhale of releaf when they left the plane.

If it were my kid I would have taken him the restroom and tanned his but. But then again my kids were raised to respect others and that not doing so had conseqeunces and it wasn't time out with a gameboy. My kids knew that if you came home from school in trouble you were getting no simpithy from us and in several cases we made them go in and appologize a second time the next day after the butt was spanked when appropriate. Kids will only back you down if they know they can.

Good solid disiple is what this country lacks. Nothing more.

Have a great day everyone and great flights and trips to our happy island.