Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011, 04:50 PM

rooster is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing?

I will be visiting Aruba for the first time during early May, and I知 an avid fisherman. I致e been doing a lot of research on fishing the Island, but I知 always looking for more information.

I plan to arm myself with a spinning rod, some spoons, jigs, and Redfish Magic spinners. Not really sure on the size/color of the lures? I知 primarily interested in snook, and love fishing topwater (but, I致e read that topwater lures are not the most effective in Aruba). All of my fishing will be done early in the morning as my wife has plans for the remainder of the day/night.

I知 considering bringing an inflatable kayak to reach deeper water, and maybe the Spanish Lagoon. Do you think that it is worthwhile to bring the kayak? It is a hassle, but if it is going to improve my chances for fish, I will get it on the plane!

Any suggestions on lures or locations for Snook (anything really) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Fishing?

Check this thread out, rooster. I remember when there was a "snook" conversation going on!

Click here: Fishing for Snook - Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
I will be visiting Aruba for the first time during early May, and I知 an avid fisherman. I致e been doing a lot of research on fishing the Island, but I知 always looking for more information.

I plan to arm myself with a spinning rod, some spoons, jigs, and Redfish Magic spinners. Not really sure on the size/color of the lures? I知 primarily interested in snook, and love fishing topwater (but, I致e read that topwater lures are not the most effective in Aruba). All of my fishing will be done early in the morning as my wife has plans for the remainder of the day/night.

I知 considering bringing an inflatable kayak to reach deeper water, and maybe the Spanish Lagoon. Do you think that it is worthwhile to bring the kayak? It is a hassle, but if it is going to improve my chances for fish, I will get it on the plane!

Any suggestions on lures or locations for Snook (anything really) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Old Friday, March 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM

Merel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing?

Hi Rooster,

Your best change for fishing is at Malmok. Malmok is located in the North of Aruba. If you drive from Oranjestad in the direction of the Lighthouse (north),you will find Malmok. Right after you pass the Marriott you will find a beach of rocks, short before you can turn right to go to the lighthouse. The beach of rocks is called Malmok.

I wouldn't recommended you to bring your kayak, because I don't think it will improve your change at fish.

Other option that you can might consider is going on a deep sea fishing trip. Please take a look at the following page: Aruba - Deep Sea Fishing - VisitAruba.com

Good luck, hope that you will catch something.
Old Sunday, March 27th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing?

[QUOTE=rooster;106295]I will be visiting Aruba for the first time during early May, and I知 an avid fisherman.

Following is my advise _ humble as it may be.

I plan to arm myself with a spinning rod, some spoons, jigs, and Redfish Magic spinners. LEAVE THOSE THINGS AT HOME AND GO TO THE LOCAL STORES HERE AND FIND OUT WHAT IS HAPPENING LOCALLY. I ONCE TOOK A TON OF FLIES TO NAVAHOE DAMN TO FISH FOR TROUT AND THE LOCAL GUYS WERE USING DOUGH BALLS AND CORN. SO ..... MY STUFF STAYED IN THE CABIN AND I BOUGHT BREAD AND CANS OF CORN KERNELS.

I知 considering bringing an inflatable kayak. DO NOT GO BEYOND CONSIDERING. FIRST IF YOU GET OUT IN THE OCEAN, REMEMBER THAT WE HAVE STRONG CURRENTS AS WELL AS WINDS THAT RIP ACROSS THE TOP OF THE WATER. SECONDLY, IT WOULD BE A PAIN TO TRANSPORT, FILL, DEFLATE, AND TRANSPORT BACK.. NOT EVEN A MARLIN IS WORTH THE AGGRAVATIONS.

Any suggestions on lures or locations for Snook. MOST SNOOK I HAVE CAUGHT HAS BEEN OFF THE SHORE LINES FROM COSTA LINDA DOWN TO THE LA CABANA AREA. EARLY IN THE MORNING IS PERFECT. I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH SPOONS OR ANYTHING SHINY. I AM CONVINCED THAT SNOOK IS THE STUPIDEST FISH IN THE OCEAN SINCE I HAVE SEEN THEM CAUGHT ON TIN FOIL WRAPPED AROUND THE HOOK.

Your wife. SPEND SOME TIME WITH HER. IF SHE PUTS UP WITH A FISHERMAN HUSBAND IT IS OUT OF LOVE.

be well
charels