Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, February 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM

Juststoms2000 is on a distinguished road
Smile Fishing

Hi everyone I am new to this site and I am glad I found it I was in Aruba last year with my GF my son and her family and I loved it well now it is a new year and were going back on 3/30/08 to 4/7/08 we will be staying at the Holiday Inn just wondering if anyone that likes fishing or is planning on fishing will be down there around then if so let me know would not mind having a fishing buddie. My Girlfriend and I are planning on shorefishing but hey if you like fishing and now where to go let me know thanks.

Last edited by Juststoms2000; Tuesday, February 26th, 2008 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, February 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Aruba Expert

chrisnwillie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing

We miss you by a week! maybe next year!

I replied to your PM.....any other ?? please feel free to ask!
Old Tuesday, February 26th, 2008, 08:15 PM

Well you can let me know how the Fishing is atleast lol but let me know next year I am planning on making this a yearly thing maybe a couple times a year later down the road.

Old Tuesday, February 26th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Aruba Expert

Chip is on a distinguished road

I have taken charters from downtown, twice, and once from the docks between the HI and the Surf Club. Always had a good time. The last trip, when it was just my wife and me, I started talking fishing with a dealer at the Marriott, we ended up going out the next day. We talked about the island, our families and things we did growing up. He told me all about the different ways they fish, I want to try the fishing with balloons our next trip 9/4-13 this year. I gave him all the fish we caught, wahoo, mahi and cuda. The next evening he brought us a full dinner that he and his wife prepared, including salad, cornbread and fried plantains. Best dinner of the week.
In the evening, if you head north towards the lighthouse, you will see people fishing off the shore with balloons floating out a few hundred yards. These are like big bobbers and when the wind catches them they go out as far as you let them. I plan to ride down there this year to watch and learn.

Here's a trick he taught me, from his grandfather. Not all Baracuda is edible, some are poisonious. Clean the fish and keep them seperate, clean the knife between each fish. Cut a piece of meat from each one and slice an X into it, make sure you keep track of the piece to the fish. Put the pieces in the yard, on the ground over night. The next day see if any pieces have ants on them. The ones with the ants are OK to eat, the ones without.......are not. The ants know.

Good luck
Old Tuesday, February 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM

Cathy&Jim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juststoms2000 View Post
Hi everyone I am new to this site and I am glad I found it I was in Aruba last year with my GF my son and her family and I loved it well now it is a new year and were going back on 3/30/08 to 4/7/08 we will be staying at the Holiday Inn just wondering if anyone that likes fishing or is planning on fishing will be down there around then if so let me know would not mind having a fishing buddie. My Girlfriend and I are planning on shorefishing but hey if you like fishing and now where to go let me know thanks.
We'll be at the HI the same week! We don't fish but love to hear the stories. Hope to see you at the bar and you can tell us all about your catches! Have fun!
Old Wednesday, February 27th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Aruba Expert

We have fished from shore for 10 years in front of Playa Linda and the HI.

We are catch and release.....we don't keep anything. We have people begging us for our catch every year and the answer is always the same...NO.
Old Wednesday, February 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Jim View Post
We'll be at the HI the same week! We don't fish but love to hear the stories. Hope to see you at the bar and you can tell us all about your catches! Have fun!

Awsome I love meeting new people I will look forward to seeing you there I sent you message also please respond.

Old Wednesday, February 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Aruba Expert

millertime is on a distinguished road

A few years ago we went out on the Rainbow Runner. They supplied
all the equipment and bait. They anchor offshore and you bottom
fish. Your odds of catching fish are like 99%. This is all the information
I can find on them. Maybe someone can confirm they are still in business.

Rainbow Runner
Rainbow Seekers
Alto Vista 39 B
Renaissance Marina
Phone 586 4259
Fax 586 4269
41 foot Air-conditioned Sports yacht
Twin diesel engines
Children welcome/under 12 must wear life jacket
Bottom fishing Private charters
Snorkel chartersincluding equipment
Four Hour Charter
Complimentary equipment& instruction
Bait Ice Snacks Non-alcoholic beverages
Cash bar availablefor beer & wine
Anchored Fishing
Grouper Red snapper
Trigger fish Yellow-tail
Four to Eight Hour Private Charters
6 personsmaximum
Natasha 36 Foot Twin Engine Sport Fisherman
Lucky Star 33 FootTwin Engine Sport Fisherman
Email
Reservations

Later,
millertime

Old Thursday, February 28th, 2008, 12:47 AM

I was in Aruba Last year and did a charter it is somthing that I will never forget it was alot of fun and I caught alot of whahoo and dolphin fish also caught a Portuguese Man-of-War that got caught on the line which was very cool got lots of pics of that.

On the other hand they took my GF and I to the North shore where we rode up and down 7 to 14 foot waves THANK GOD FOR SEA SICK PILLS LOL!!! or it would have been 6 hours of hell but anyways charter fishing was a experience but I rather shore fish for the fact I can catch more types of fish and I get to set my own damn hook lol also I don't eat any of the fish I catch all fish caught will be released another reason I will have no clue which fish you can eat and what ones you can't lol.

Put me in a Lake and I know what to eat stick me in a ocean only thing I know you can eat is tuna and whahoo lol

Old Thursday, February 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM

I have yet another question but first I would like to thank all the people that gave me some shore fishing info it will help me out alot.

Now for the question I talked to a couple people that say they walk out into the water and are about chest deep in water then stand on a reef was just wondering how deep is the water when your acually standing and fishing off the reef ? Just wondering cause if I hook into a shark I do not really want to be in chest deep water with it when I bring it in to release it lol for certain reasons involving their mouth and teeth heh

Old Friday, February 29th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Aruba Expert

It's becomes chest deep in front of the HI walking out to the reef, but once you step onto the reef, you're ankle deep in water.

Also, the shark hubby hooked last year was hooked between the reef and the shoreline in front of the HI.... I don't think this is really "good news". Although it wasn't hooked with his feet/ankles in the water, it was hooked in their fishing area. And....it was 4.5 feet long.
Old Friday, February 29th, 2008, 11:08 AM

2nd Trip is on a distinguished road

Holy Toledo Chris! I thought sharks were a rarity -- especially around Palm Beach. Yikes!
Old Friday, February 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Larry Moore is on a distinguished road

I'll be doing alot of fishing also, but when my cold balashi's are gone then its time to retreat and get ready for the next day. Id love to tie into a 4 foot shark, bring back alot of memories from seal beach in california. I hope the couple that's going to be there in aruba a couple days before us, will happily show us where to fish but of course if it in the middle of a topless beach then fishing will be on the bottom of the list. Ha, taking some bass fishing plugs with me to try... good luck
Old Friday, February 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Trip View Post
Holy Toledo Chris! I thought sharks were a rarity -- especially around Palm Beach. Yikes!
Also, google it. He caught a black tipped shark and this one was mature.

If you look closely under pelican pier right there between the HI and Playa Linda before all the boat traffic starts up in the morning and the water is clear, you'll see hammerheads as well.
Old Saturday, March 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM

I'm surprised, but should have known better. They don't talk about it much!
Old Saturday, March 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Trip View Post
I'm surprised, but should have known better. They don't talk about it much!
I agree.....it's a very hush subject.

The hammerheads we see are very small, but we see them daily since we're up at 4am to chickee hunt (at PL LOL) and fish.
Old Saturday, March 1st, 2008, 08:20 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnwillie View Post
I agree.....it's a very hush subject.

The hammerheads we see are very small, but we see them daily since we're up at 4am to chickee hunt (at PL LOL) and fish.
OK you caught my interest, what is chickee hunt? Can anyone hunt them and do you need special equipment?
Old Saturday, March 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM

Kathy from Ohio is on a distinguished road

Chip
I had to chuckle--Chickee hunt means getting up early to stake out your chickee hut on the beach. Those of us that go in high season know you have to get up early in the morning to get the exact hut you want. At ABC, they have instituted a new rule that owners can save a hut starting at 6:00 a.m. (earlier if they physically stay with the hut). I can see where the term "chickee hunt" could've caused some confusion. To answer your question--Anyone can hunt them, and no, you don't need any special equipment!
Old Saturday, March 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM

tinad is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Fishing

Looks like we will arrive around the same time. Staying@ Surf Club, DH loves to fish. I understand there are some charters right in front of HI oe @ the pier. Kent went on Paradice. I hope we meet up. Have a safe trip.
Old Sunday, March 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Aruba Expert

Kathy, thanks for the info, in our parts we call it tiki hunting. I thought, maybe, chickie hunting was something to do after tiki hunting.
Old Sunday, March 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM

Kathy from Ohio is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Fishing

OK Chip--You got me! I should've known it was a "guy" thing. So the correct way to answer your question is "any guy can hunt them preferably with his own equipment!!
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 10:53 AM

-- Now that was a good laugh for a Monday morning!
Old Wednesday, March 5th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

Ah, not too often we cover both fishing and hunting in one thread!

Charters can be hit or miss, but always a fun day on the water and the price is right. As millertime said the Rainbow Runner is an inexpensive option and almost a guarantee to bend a rod.

My advice on any fish that you have to wonder if it's poisonous or not? Put it back in the water. I've caught probably 60 cudas in Aruba (lost twice as many) and all of them swam away - to hopefully be caught again.

The small hammerheads being talked about are bonnetheads, which are harmless. No worries

Good luck!
Old Wednesday, March 5th, 2008, 11:04 PM

bonnetheads are also known as Shovelhead's caught those in Florida but I just went out and bought a ton of saltwater stuff for shore fishing I can't wait only 25 days to go. WOOT!!!

Old Thursday, March 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Larry Moore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
bonnetheads are also known as Shovelhead's caught those in Florida but I just went out and bought a ton of saltwater stuff for shore fishing I can't wait only 25 days to go. WOOT!!!
Good luck......... Ive got some fresh water baits Im taking.. about the same thing I use In canada for northern pike and Muskie's.. which should work for anything that swims in aruba surf.... Let me know how you do...

Old Sunday, March 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM

zaandam99 is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Fishing

Hi to all of you fishing freaks like me out there!!! Just became a member of this bulletin board. I am not in Aruba as of yet but will be on april 14, I am a native but live in Pittsburgh for 12 years. I will be there for 6 months and I'm planning of doing alot of shore fishing. Charter boats can get very expensive, while shore fishing you can have just as much fun and you wont feel as bad if you have not caught any fish because did not have to spend $400,-. Are you planning a trip to Aruba from april 14 on and want to do some shore fishing I would love to take you out on these excurtions. Will be doing some night fishing at the Hi Rises and Lo Rises when waters are calmer from boaters and swimmers for snooks,baby tarpons, permits and bonefish. And day fishing at locations away from the hustle and bustle from the resorts like Arashi, Surf side near the airport, Barcadera, the Spanish Lagoen maybe hooking some tarpons there and snook, Mangel Halto, piers at Zeerover where fresh catch of the day comes in every day and grab a quick bite of their local dish and a cold balashi, Rogers Beach, Baby beach, behind the old Esso Club alot of reefs there, also before getting in the Coloney there is a nice cove near the prison where they do kite surfing great for surf fishing and also some inlets of the Northern coast. Ofcourse we can not fish all these places in one day but can plan the days you would like to go fishing I'll be always ready for a day of fishing. If you do not have your own equipment not to worry I will have spinning gear,tackle and baits available. Looking forward in seeing you in Aruba having some fun in the sun in doing what we love best where ever there is water FISHING!!! I will be posting my shore fishing trips with you and some pics. hopefully with a "biggen" and also info. on shore fishing here in Aruba. Send me a post if interested. Good fishing!!!!
Old Friday, March 14th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I was in Aruba Last year and did a charter it is somthing that I will never forget it was alot of fun and I caught alot of whahoo and dolphin fish also caught a Portuguese Man-of-War that got caught on the line which was very cool got lots of pics of that.

On the other hand they took my GF and I to the North shore where we rode up and down 7 to 14 foot waves THANK GOD FOR SEA SICK PILLS LOL!!! or it would have been 6 hours of hell but anyways charter fishing was a experience but I rather shore fish for the fact I can catch more types of fish and I get to set my own damn hook lol also I don't eat any of the fish I catch all fish caught will be released another reason I will have no clue which fish you can eat and what ones you can't lol.

Put me in a Lake and I know what to eat stick me in a ocean only thing I know you can eat is tuna and whahoo lol

What I wanted to ask you was, what is Portugeuse man of war never heard of that might be e species I know under a different name maybe, I don't know. I have experience a trip on the North part of the Island it was rough their were was a family with the daugther in law on the boat that they have chartered, I have just met these guys, from the charter boat where used to be Hadi Curari Rest. & pier infront of Mariot that was before the MAriot took over the local fishermen establishment, the day before I was looking for a fishing trip as going along and ofcourse using your femininaty always helps sometimes for us girls....lol...I got to ride along on a fishing trip one day, I tell you what it was no fishing conditions that is for sure. I felt bad for the daughter in law she was sick the whole time we were at the Northern end. I personaly enjoyed it it was scary at times but not enjoyable to fish it was like crab fishing in Alaska type of scenario.....lol...did not catch much 2 cudas a little over 3ft. But any hows have a nice trip and enjoy your vacation with your family.
Old Saturday, March 15th, 2008, 12:50 AM

A Portuguese Man-of-War is a type of Jelly Fish one of the many types you can be killed by due to Cardiac arrest Google them or look them up hard to miss alot of kids in Florida mistake them for bright purple ballons and try to pick them up or Pop them and also note even when the Portuguese Man-of-War is dead it can still sting you there tenticals have a secondary nervous system that will live long after the jelly fish is acually dead so becarful if you see one on the beach.

Also note if you do happen to get stung by any type of jellyfish find some Vinegar and rub it on the area you have been stung the vinegar it will nutralize the stinging cells in your body making instant relif hehe

Old Friday, April 18th, 2008, 12:44 PM

HELLO FOLKS,

Finnaly in Aruba, glad to be back. No problems at the airport regarding the strike that's been going on here on the Island against the Goverment its was just a scare tactic from the Gov. by saying that their strike is hurting the turism to make the manifestants feel like crap so they would back off from the airport. But any of their actions has not done so thus far its more likely that the prime minister don't want any turist to see these type of actions especialy this kind that is against them. Any ways enough of that for now......I went out fishing Wednesday night between Divi and Tamarin Hotel. Its tough if you don't have a car to go out different places when ever you want. Next week I will rent a car for e few days and will only do some fishing while I have the car. This weekend my brother is off so I will do some fishing this weekend also. Caught quite a bit of small fish about 5" to 6" I don't know what they were but some were bottom feeders their mounths were like carp like and others were like snappers like mouth structure and not to forget to mention also crabs so have to keep the bait about 12" above the bottom.
I will keep you all posted in how it all went I will have more to talk about then. In the mean time tight lines see ya in Aruba.....

Lulu