Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010, 12:02 PM

WillFish4Fun is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing questions

We are heading to the island in 31 days (for the first week of April). I've tried to go through all the info on this site about fishing on the island and still have a few questions. We are going on at least one fishing charter (going to look up Montie on Paradice Charters - thanks Kent!) and every other day I plan to try and fish early morning from shore (we're staying at Costa Linda/Eagle Beach area). (I'm a very early riser, the fam-damily like to sleep in till 9 or so - that's 4 hours lost in my book!) Almost all of what I catch will be returned to the sea (after a quick photo shoot!). May keep a 'cuda if I catch one for a dinner. So here goes:

Fishing regulations for Aruba - Where can I find these? What's in season and what isn't?

What gear would you bring vs. expect to purchase on the island? I'm thinking spoons, plastics/lures, couple of quick release bobbers and reels with line. Anything else?

Fresh bait or spoons/lures?

Anybody ever pack or bring their own poles with them? (on the plane ) Can you 'carry-on' fishing poles?

Where can you purchase inexpensive poles/tackle on the island?

What spots would you recommend? I've seen recommendations for Eagle beach (in early AM) the Spanish Lagoon and Arashi beach. Any others?

Also, where on the island is the natural pool? (I'm not planning to fish there, but can't seem to see it on google's maps and want to rent a 4WD to take the family there one of the days.

Thanks!
Bill

P.S. - Will try to make a point to post a daily report when we're there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010, 11:05 PM

phillyboater is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing questions

Would suggest a fishing pole that comes apart or collapses and can be packed in your checked luggage. You may be able to carry on board by TSA regs, not sure, but airlines restrict you to one carryon and one personal item like a purse or laptop.

The Natural Pool is just southeast of the Natural Bridge. If you go to google earth the lat and long are approx N12deg31min w69deg55min. The roads to the Natural Pool are very challeging. A Jeep Wrangler 4X4 is the minimum vehicle. If you are not an experienced off road driver I would suggest ABC Tours.
Old Friday, March 5th, 2010, 09:27 AM

gumbo al is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Fishing questions

Areas reccommend to me are Spanish Lagoon, there's a walkway on the ocean side 0f the bridge. If you go in across from the Talk of the Town and work your way to the end along the airport fence there's a cement pad. iwas there last night and talk with the locals. They reccommended something like a Rapala in the evening and flashy spoons during the day. they were using live and cut bait and as they said,fishing not catching. so far $ and the docks when the charters come in has been the most productive for fresh fish.
Old Saturday, March 6th, 2010, 10:17 AM

ponzaleo is on a distinguished road

Got a charter boat rented for Monday 8 Mar. My friend had to return today. I am looking for 1 or 2 people to share expenses. I am experienced fisherman.

Don
Old Saturday, March 6th, 2010, 10:58 AM

gumbo al is on a distinguished road

Don ,Where are you staying? what are you looking at as far as cost? I've got a cell phone but as of now I don't know the #. Al
Old Saturday, March 6th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Almost Aruban

BigPapa is on a distinguished road

My family of 4 went on the Driftwood...Morning..1/2 day...$360.00...gave the two crew men a $50 as a tip....The waters were calm...because the tradwinds were quiet for 3 or 4 days....

We caught a 80lb...4ft. Wahoo....a 50lb..3ft. Wahoo....and 2 Barracuda in the 2ft.+ range....As I was reeling in my Barracuda....another larger Barracuda chomped off the tail fin area of the fish.

My 25 and 18 year old sons...had quiet a time reeling in the Wahoo....We went to the Driftwood and had them fix it up for Dinner that night...

On the sign out side the Restaurant it said...." Catch of the Day...Wahoo " ..and surprise....They also had Barracuda to serve @ $28.00 a plate...

Our food was good...service was good...but they charged us $18.00 a plate...to fix our fish..plus side dishes...Just water to drink...No take home with you...We feed the whole restaurant fish..for a couple days...On what we caught..

Next time...We will do things differently....You..( we )..assume when we pay to go fishing we get to keep our catch...but In reality....You..( we )...pay to fish...and we did that....I will check into that better next time...

Best fishing experience..( deep sea )...My family has ever had...Because of the lack of the winds...The water was like glass....and when all told...

We fished and ate..The 4 of use...our fish..or at least a very small amout of the catch....for a mere...$610.00.

Dan & Sweet Georgene
Old Saturday, March 6th, 2010, 11:49 AM

ponzaleo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo al View Post
Don ,Where are you staying? what are you looking at as far as cost? I've got a cell phone but as of now I don't know the #. Al
Got it booked for $ 300 for 4 hours. I saw this guy come in Friday with 200 lbs of Wahoo.

Send me an email with your phone #. I am staying at the Marriott Surf

Don
ponzaleo@gmail.com
Old Monday, March 8th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road

Barracuda is good eating!

When we were at Starbucks a couple of weeks ago -
we saw them bring in a dog shark about 6 feet. Big fish.

I said to Mick - If I caught that fish - I would get it
stuffed to put in my house! But then we were kidding
about how you'd get THAT thru the airport!
Old Monday, March 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Fishing questions

Lizzardo.....I totally agree, Barracuda is THE BEST !!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it......hate living back here in the states, for 7 years in Aruba I ate myself silly on Cuda....I couldn't get enough of it. It can't be bought in the states cause all the baricuda in and around Florida and the Carolinas are infected with a reef fungus !!!
Old Tuesday, March 16th, 2010, 03:33 PM

WillFish4Fun is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info everyone...
So as far as gear, Baracuda have big teeth - so I presume I'll need steel leaders too? Can't wait! 16 days and counting...

I wondered why everyone on the board here was raving about the 'cuda when my experience in the US has been "it's a trash fish - you can't eat it!" Now I know why!

So I did some homework: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/wilde...article_em.htm
Looks like a scary proposition for a meal or two... Unless someone can safely say the Aruban Caribbean 'cudas are ciguatera free, I'd just as soon eat something without the risk...

Last edited by WillFish4Fun; Tuesday, March 16th, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old Sunday, May 2nd, 2010, 03:26 PM

riclagriclag is on a distinguished road

Fishing buddies for either May 10,11 or 12, Also
"I'm Looking to charter a boat"

Hi looking for 2 other people to offset rental charge for charter.
Rick
Old Wednesday, May 5th, 2010, 10:42 AM

mafalda is on a distinguished road

barracuda is safe to eat in aruba... no copper in our waters!!!
i heard in st kitts people were not eating it and was surprised....IT is my favorite fish!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFish4Fun View Post
Thanks for the info everyone...
So as far as gear, Baracuda have big teeth - so I presume I'll need steel leaders too? Can't wait! 16 days and counting...

I wondered why everyone on the board here was raving about the 'cuda when my experience in the US has been "it's a trash fish - you can't eat it!" Now I know why!

So I did some homework: Ciguatera Toxin (Fish Poisoning) Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment on MedicineNet.com
Looks like a scary proposition for a meal or two... Unless someone can safely say the Aruban Caribbean 'cudas are ciguatera free, I'd just as soon eat something without the risk...
Old Wednesday, May 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Aruba Expert

Chip is on a distinguished road

I have a friend, a dealer at Stelaris, that told me of a way to determine if the Cuda is edible. Said his grandfather taught him.

Make sure to use clean knives, cutting boards, etc for each fish and keep the fish separate after cleaning.

Take a piece of the fish and slice an X into the surface of the skin and set the piece(s) outside on the ground. keep track of which piece can from which fish.

The next day, if you find ants on the fish, it's good to eat, if not toss it. The ants won't eat the bad fish.

Sounds like a valid test, but I am not guaranteeing it.