Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Monday, December 27th, 2010, 09:30 AM
riekky riekky is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 26th, 2010
Posts: 7
riekky is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing in Aruba

Dear people,

On July 4, 2011 I am on vacation in Aruba with my family. I will bring my fly rods because if there is a possibility to fish there I will do so.

Have read various articles about fishing in Aruba but there is not really much information available. My main goal is tarpon but have read that they are mainly caught at the Spanish Lagoon and a boat is needed.

Because I've never caught a bonefish it will be my goal to catch one but every other fish is welcome.

Do you have advice where to fish for bonefish, barracuda, permits, jackets or any tarpons from the coast / shore?

Possibly a fishing guide would be welcome or a local fisherman with a small boat.

Because I have 16 days on the island, I will mainly DIY fish.

I hope you can provide me with tips. I only do Catch and Release! I don't even like eating fish.

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Riekky
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old Wednesday, December 29th, 2010, 02:09 PM
riekky riekky is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 26th, 2010
Posts: 7
riekky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

56 views but nobody who wants to share some information?

Riekky
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old Wednesday, December 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Arubaman's Avatar
Arubaman Arubaman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 31st, 2005
Posts: 134
Arubaman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

I will be there the 1/1/2011 to 1/15/2011, I have 4 fishing trips planed for those 2 weeks. I will give you some info when I return.
I will return to Aruba again in March.
__________________

Last edited by Arubaman; Thursday, December 30th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old Thursday, December 30th, 2010, 11:21 AM
NH Mary NH Mary is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 8th, 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 18
NH Mary is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekky View Post
56 views but nobody who wants to share some information?

Riekky
Perhaps beacuse nobody has any information.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old Thursday, December 30th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Muncher33 Muncher33 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 10th, 2006
Posts: 22
Muncher33 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

Here is some info for ya.... Go to Fly Fishing Aruba | Guided Tours, Aruba Fishing Information and more*, the guys name is Laurenz, met him a few years ago in town and he is excellent. He used to be a bartender in town at the seaside mall. He does tours and such but you can also email him and he might be able to tell you where to go. Hope it helps!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old Thursday, December 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM
riekky riekky is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 26th, 2010
Posts: 7
riekky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaman View Post
I will be there the 1/1/2011 to 1/15/2011, I have 4 fishing trips planed for those 2 weeks. I will give you some info when I return.
I will return to Aruba again in March.
I can not wait for your report. Have a nice trip.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Mary View Post
Perhaps beacuse nobody has any information.
Apperently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncher33 View Post
Here is some info for ya.... Go to Fly Fishing Aruba | Guided Tours, Aruba Fishing Information and more*, the guys name is Laurenz, met him a few years ago in town and he is excellent. He used to be a bartender in town at the seaside mall. He does tours and such but you can also email him and he might be able to tell you where to go. Hope it helps!!
I'll contact him.

Thanks for the replies!

Riekky
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old Monday, June 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM
riekky riekky is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 26th, 2010
Posts: 7
riekky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaman View Post
I will be there the 1/1/2011 to 1/15/2011, I have 4 fishing trips planed for those 2 weeks. I will give you some info when I return.
I will return to Aruba again in March.
How were your trips? Did you caught anything?

Riekky
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old Monday, June 20th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Kent's Avatar
Kent Kent is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: April 1st, 2006
Location: Indiana
Age: 55
Posts: 472
Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

Hi Riekky. There is not alot of fly fishing in Aruba. I spend 15 weeks a year there and I love to fish and I see very few fly fisherman there. I go out and deep sea fish but summers are slower than in the winter. I will be leaving in 2 days for a 6 week trip. If you would like to snorkle sometime I would love to show you the best snorkling on the Island. If you are interested, please e-mail me direct and I can e-mail you some pics and info. Thanks alot. Kent kentgerber@adamswells.com
__________________

29th trip Nov 4th for 5 months!!
Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
www.arubabobsnorkeling.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old Monday, June 20th, 2011, 09:22 PM
JohnJT JohnJT is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: April 21st, 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 437
JohnJT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
If you would like to snorkle sometime I would love to show you the best snorkling on the Island. Thanks alot. Kent
Sorry to send the topic off in a different direction.
However, Kent, after reading your messages, I am very sorry that I am too old and decrepit to enjoy snorkeling with you. Haven't snorkeled since 2007. Also, it probably would not have happened as we're only in Aruba in September. Keep up your reports!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old Thursday, June 23rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
charlescroes's Avatar
charlescroes charlescroes is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: February 21st, 2005
Posts: 960
charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

Hi,
Try GOOGLE and look up Fly Fishing on Aruba. There is a great guide that handles fly fishing in the mangrove areas, including Spanish Lagoon. I have never used him but understand that he is super. I have his link below.

Fly Fishing Aruba | Guided Tours, Aruba Fishing Information and more*

The Tarpon in Spanish Lagoon has been caught once to often. He is a nice fish and actually a friendly fella. He hates hooks and will toss them until your frustration has maxed. Try offering him a beer.

Bone fish and Snook are super candidates for exciting fly-rod catches and will keep you busy.

You are to be commended on your Catch and Release. Best way to go.

Hope that this helps.



Quote:
Originally Posted by riekky View Post
Dear people,

On July 4, 2011 I am on vacation in Aruba with my family. I will bring my fly rods because if there is a possibility to fish there I will do so.

Have read various articles about fishing in Aruba but there is not really much information available. My main goal is tarpon but have read that they are mainly caught at the Spanish Lagoon and a boat is needed.

Because I've never caught a bonefish it will be my goal to catch one but every other fish is welcome.

Do you have advice where to fish for bonefish, barracuda, permits, jackets or any tarpons from the coast / shore?

Possibly a fishing guide would be welcome or a local fisherman with a small boat.

Because I have 16 days on the island, I will mainly DIY fish.

I hope you can provide me with tips. I only do Catch and Release! I don't even like eating fish.

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Riekky
__________________
RENTING A CELL PHONE MAKES $EN$E
FAST PHONE ARUBA - A cell phone rental company
http://www.fastphonearuba.com/
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #11  
Old Sunday, June 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM
riekky riekky is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 26th, 2010
Posts: 7
riekky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Hi Riekky. There is not alot of fly fishing in Aruba. I spend 15 weeks a year there and I love to fish and I see very few fly fisherman there. I go out and deep sea fish but summers are slower than in the winter. I will be leaving in 2 days for a 6 week trip. If you would like to snorkle sometime I would love to show you the best snorkling on the Island. If you are interested, please e-mail me direct and I can e-mail you some pics and info. Thanks alot. Kent kentgerber@adamswells.com
Hi Kent,

Thanks for the offer. I've send you an email.

Riekky
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old Sunday, June 26th, 2011, 06:29 PM
riekky riekky is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 26th, 2010
Posts: 7
riekky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

Hello Charles,

I've already hookup with Laurenz of Fly Fishing Aruba. I'll be fishing with him for at least one day. Trying to catch a tarpon. Last year I went to Curacao and caught me some baby-tarpons but hopefully I can catch me a bigger tarpon.

Maybe I'll go fish with him a second time but I'm more a DIY fly fishermen. Not only that it's cheaper but I like the extra challenge.

As I said earlier, I seldom eat fish and only C&R. My main goal is to catch my first bonefish or even a permit but I'll be happy with any other species like snook, snapper, cuda or rainbow runner.

One of the tarpon I've caught in Curacao:


Riekky
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old Monday, June 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Kent's Avatar
Kent Kent is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: April 1st, 2006
Location: Indiana
Age: 55
Posts: 472
Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Fly fishing in Aruba

you have a safe flight and I will hook up with you when you get here. Kent
__________________

29th trip Nov 4th for 5 months!!
Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
www.arubabobsnorkeling.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com