Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile High Rise/Low Rise/Palm/ Eagle??

At first I was going to post a reply on the thread about the new Ritz Carlton deal, but I decided I needed a new thread to be clear.There is a lot of banter on this and other boards about which area is better to visit. A little background is in order so that you will understand my conclusions.
We started going to Aruba in 1994. We traded our timeshare in Las Vegas for a week at the Aruba Beach club. We knew nothing about Aruba at the time except that it was an island with beaches and nice weather. We have returned to Aruba 11 more times since then and the first trip was the only time we stayed for 1 week. We have stayed for 10 to 13 days on each trip since then. We stay a week in a timeshare and the rest of the time in hotels. Sometimes we go 2 or 3 days in advance or after the timeshare week. Several times we have gone both in advance and stayed after. It all depends on airfare and frequent flier availability. We try to stay in a hotel we have not stayed in before if we can get a decent price.
I think this gives us a unique perspective on staying on Aruba that a lot of travelers dont get.
On our first trip we went to Divi Village for breakfast one morning. We met a couple there and talked for a bit. It was their 3rd trip to Aruba and they were staying at the Divi all inclusive for the 3rd time. We asked them about the island and their reply was-we dont know anything about it, we never leave the Divi for the whole week.
I am sure they are not representative of most tourists to Aruba, but there are probably a lot like that.
We rented a car for 3 days on that first trip and have rented one for the whole trip since then.
We have stayed at the ABC(3), Casa Del Mar, Costa Linda(3), Dutch village, Divi village(2) and Divi links at the low rise/eagle beach area.
We have stayed at the Phoenix, Playa Linda, Surf club, Westin/Wyndham(3), Hyatt(2), Holiday Inn(2) and Marriott(2) on Palm beach/high rise area. We have also stayed at the Renaissance Ocean suites(2) and the Renaissance hotel.
What we have found is that we enjoy ALL of it. We like the low key low rises and we like the hustle and bustle of the high rises. The only place we have stayed on the island that we were not happy with was the one time we stayed at the Renaissance hotel. It was a noise problem with the room we were in and not the hotel itself. You can pick the kind of vacation you want simply by choosing where you stay. If you own a time share there, I am sure you bought it in the area you wanted to stay in. This is called personal preference and cant be argued with. If you own on Palm beach and have never stayed on eagle beach then I would suggest that on your next trip, stay at one of the places on eagle to see what you think. If you own at eagle beach and have never stayed at palm beach, stay a few nights at one of the hotels there on your next trip. I bet you will enjoy it.
Our favorite day trip-snorkeling and swimming at BABY BEACH and lunch at Charlies bar on the way back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: High Rise/Low Rise/Palm/ Eagle??

We own at the Golf Links at Divi Village (Druif Beach) and the Phoenix (quiet part of Palm Beach) and Playa Linda (more crowded part of Palm Beach) and enjoy all three for different reasons. We've also stayed on Eagle Beach and loved it too.

Conclusion: It's ALL good!
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: High Rise/Low Rise/Palm/ Eagle??

Well, this is no fun. Now I can't get into a heated argument with you why Rodgers beach is better then Eagle beach. You enjoy it ALL!!!!
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
Well, this is no fun. Now I can't get into a heated argument with you why Rodgers beach is better then Eagle beach. You enjoy it ALL!!!!
THANK YOU!!! Let's hear it for Rodgers Beach!!!!
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: High Rise/Low Rise/Palm/ Eagle??

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlierat View Post
THANK YOU!!! Let's hear it for Rodgers Beach!!!!
We even like to park by the big anchor and walk that beach. Im not sure but it might be bachelors beach. Yes, Rodgers beach is nice too.
Old Wednesday, February 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
We even like to park by the big anchor and walk that beach. Im not sure but it might be bachelors beach. Yes, Rodgers beach is nice too.
The beach at the big anchor is boca grandi. A little to the right is bachelor beach. Rodgers beach is on the right from the old Esso club, with a good view on the refinery.
Old Wednesday, February 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM

arubasurfclubcanada is on a distinguished road

I've always stayed at Palm Beach. How is the Ocean water at Eagle Beach compared to Palm Beach? Looking at the onl;ine cam it looks rougher, is this correct.

Jim
arubasurfclub@yahoo.ca
Old Wednesday, February 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

yes it is correct. rougher and deeper. on occasion, as it has been for the last several days, it is rougher than you would want it to be. we actually almost drowned there several years ago when the seas suddenly spit out a huge wave that wasn't expected in calmer waters. however, there is also a soft smooth bottom without any seaweed.

another odd thing is that there is little or no 'tourist trash' so i don't wear beach shoes in the water on eagle beach but do wear it on palm beach.
tourist trash is what tourists bring into the water or blows away from tourists that seems to never be retrieved. i think because it is more timeshares and less hotels, plus wave action, the people tend to consider it 'their' beach and are a little more responsible than the one time tourists. that is not the fault of the beach but a problem with indifferent tourists.

i love the still waters of palm beach but i love the expansive beach at eagle. i love the fact that at the phoenix, i can snorkel on the jetty at the timeshare and i love that at costa linda i don't hear the conversation at the next palapa.

again, as you can see, there are differences, some good and some bad, for both areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubasurfclubcanada View Post
I've always stayed at Palm Beach. How is the Ocean water at Eagle Beach compared to Palm Beach? Looking at the onl;ine cam it looks rougher, is this correct.