Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road
Default Interval Owners!

To all Interval Owners...
* Are you able to trade to Aruba easily?
* From what resorts are you able to trade to Aruba (where is your home resort)?
* Do you own a red, yellow or green week?

I am having so many problems with RCI and am thinking of buying an II related time share which I will trade for, hopefully to Aruba. I have not gotten an Aruba trade since 6/19/04 (Casa Del Mar) which I will be going next month, no hits since. Meaning, I booked on 6/19/04 and am going in Nov. '05. Even finding people banking Aruba weeks with RCI not being able to trade into Aruba.

Does anyone have comments suggestion? Either post, or PM me please.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Interval Owners!

Divi - I have not joined either II or RCI, so I can't get you any advise from personal experience.

But these sites are excellent for timeshare info.

Tug http://www.tug2.net/

Timeshare Forums http://www.timeshareforums.com/main.php?
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 10:50 AM

wlwmoose is on a distinguished road

Why bot buy a time share in Aruba instead of trying to trade into Aruba>
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Karin is on a distinguished road

We bought our timeshares in Aruba because we knew if we bought elsewhere we would have a hard time trading for Aruba. We know we have 2 weeks in Aruba every year.
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

Moose has some good advice there...

We use an exchange company that doesn't require that we own anything, just belong to their group ($100/yr). We get a week anywhere in the world for appx $800 (sometimes less!), always in a nice timeshare. We've used them for the Ren ocean suites and Costa Linda in Aruba, also in Sedona AZ and Atlantic City NJ. Worth checking out...
http://www.traveltogo.com/default.asp
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Divi - I am an II member. So far I have no complaints. I have successfully exchanged my unit in Aruba in April (High time) for Aruba in October with no problems. But I have never tried to exchange in the winter or spring. I have also exchanged for Las Vegas, very easy.

Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Aruba Expert

2hokies is on a distinguished road

We own two Marriott weeks, one in Orlando and one in Palm Beach Shores, FL. We locked off our Orlando 2BR (turned it into two separate tradable parts of 1BR and studio) and traded each half for our two upcoming trips to Aruba. If we had gone to Aruba first, maybe we would have bought there....and who knows what may happen in the future! Oh, and we own a "Gold" week, which is still considered Red in the scheme of things but is not as desirable as a "Platinum" week. Marriott uses precious metals to describe their seasons.

We have been happy with II (and with Marriott)! They got us a trade to Hawaii, and now two trades to Aruba.
Cathy
~~~~~~~~~~~
46 more days!!
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 02:26 PM

remilk is on a distinguished road

I exchanged into Aruba for our trip this past August through Interval International. I had no problem.

Enjoy,
Bob
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Luckydog is on a distinguished road

Divi,
We have both II and RCI, I have some advise for you , PM me!
Barb
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Aruba Expert

TomFrederick is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Interval Owners!

>>>>> "We bought our timeshares in Aruba because we knew if we bought elsewhere we would have a hard time trading for Aruba. We know we have 2 weeks in Aruba every year."
----- Ditto. Recommend buying a week in Aruba at the timeshare you like the best. Been coming to Aruba since 1987. Only year didn't come rented to a friend in a few days. For us it doesn't pay to join any of the trading companies so we cancelled after the first free year. We still take other vacations. One year they called wanting me to rejoin and they gave me a free 90 day period. It was time for me to get plane tickets. So called back in a few weeks to see their prices on plane tickets. I already had a firm price. They quoted me a price $50 higher per ticket. So cancelled membership again.
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 06:34 PM

arubaforfamily is on a distinguished road

We tried using one of my father's weeks through RCI last year and put in a request 9 months in advance for ANYWHERE IN THE CARIBBEAN and got only off beach resorts (none in Aruba). This was a trade from Smuggler's Notch which is a gold crown resort in February which is one of their most popular months-RCI is worthless for trading. We ended up renting from someone.
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Aruba Expert

I should have mentioned that I am semi afraid of buying in Aruba because I do not want to be locked into a week and be unable to trade back into Aruba. Main. fees are pretty high in Aruba compared to other places. We go all different times, Nov - March, but usually New Year's for which I am willing to pay the cost of a hotel compared to the cost of a timeshare.

Last edited by DiviAruba; Thursday, October 20th, 2005 at 05:38 AM.
Old Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Aruba Expert

chrisnwillie is on a distinguished road

I own two weeks in Aruba and have belonged to both. I own weeks 10 and 11, prime time. I was never able to get a single trade worth anything using my Aruba weeks. So I figured out quickly that knowing Aruba is a strong trader, I was requesting 2 years in advance (YES 2 YEARS!) and they still were unable to get me anything good....so I dropped them both, I rent my weeks if I'm not using them, and use the cash to go elsewhere.
Old Thursday, October 20th, 2005, 03:24 AM

EDDIE1 is on a distinguished road

I also dropped RCI, although I was able to get Casa Del Mar on a trade, I still find it easier to not use them

I own at Costa Linda, a great resort. If I can't use my week, will rent it out, CL is an easy rent. I usually get between $1,000 and 1,300. I use the money to pay my fees $620 and bank the rest for a future vaction.

I find flying to Aruba from Boston is expensive for a 7 night vacation, so I usually try and go for a minimum of 10 to 14 days. I can get 3 nights at Costa Linda for $500, or rent a week for $1,000.00.

My advise is, if you can't use your week, try and rent it. Most resorts have rental boards to post your rental, you can also try e-bay or TUG (Timeshare Users Group).

When I travel, I also try and rent a timeshare, Disney area is one of the easiest to get a great buy on renting.

Each resort is different, if you own at Costa Linda, Divi Village, Casa Del Mar, or the Marriott, you can usually get a good price and if you want to extend your stay, you can get a good deal from an owner.

In other words, get rid of the Middleman (RCI or II). That has worked for me.
Old Thursday, October 20th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Aruba Expert

th7799 is on a distinguished road

Greetings,
I own two Platinum weeks in Scotsdale through Marriott and have no problem trading into Aruba. I like to go to Aruba during weeks 42-46 and since those are considered "Gold" it trades nicely. I trade the lock off and end up with room for 8. (don't take 8, but could) We have been very lucky with the trades. In fact, we are also going to Hawaii in February on a trade. Traded to the french country side earlier this year.

II has always worked well for us. In fact, I like that they can usually beat the airline prices that I bring to them.

This year when we go to Aruba, in 38 days, I think it might be time to buy another week.
Tere
Old Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Aruba Expert

Weed is on a distinguished road

When I bought at the Marriott Surf Club (they use II), I was told you couldn't trade Aruba-Aruba, so I'd be SURE to find out if that's the case before you join II or buy a time-share that uses II.
Lynda
Old Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 10:15 PM

daka630 is on a distinguished road

An interesting and informative thread! To add some seasoning ..
My wife used an RCI trade of Aruba-Divi Village-Studio to put us into
a two bedroom "gold crown" in Orlando/Kissimmee for a
Christmas-New Years visit. While more challenging for end of year,
Feb. & April visits we have had positive results with RCI.
Like the ~$175 getaway weeks that are available. We use them
for destinations other than Aruba or for long weekend trips.
Old Wednesday, October 26th, 2005, 01:31 PM

PSUArch93 is on a distinguished road

I own two Marriott weeks (Aruba & Orlando). Two of the top three vacation destinations. Being a Marriott Owner with two weeks to trade/exchange, I have always had an easy time trading/exchanging within Marriott or through Interval. I even traded/exchanged my Orlando week in 2006 for a week in Hawaii at one of Marriott's resports. I also tacked on another week (different island) with my Marriott Reward points so that we can have an extended two week vacation.
Old Wednesday, October 26th, 2005, 09:30 PM

Par2Tee is on a distinguished road

We own in a 2 bedroom in Saint Martin and easily got our trade into a one bedroom at the Divi in Aruba for Thanksgiving week - although we had to make it nearly one year ahead. It is on the RCI points system. And it looks like we have enough points left over (because we only took a one bedroom at Divi) for another week some where else this year.
We have had goods luck with this in our five years of ownership. Bermuda, Key West, Gulf Coast of Fla. (Marco Island) and St. Martin for extra weeks and now Aruba.
Old Saturday, October 29th, 2005, 06:45 PM

DebbieB is on a distinguished road

We have gotten a 2 for 1 deal the last 2 years from Interval International. For instance, last year we deposited 1 week at LaCabana, and got a week at CPV and Puerto Vallarta this year. Sometimes we rent the week, but I think I like the trading better. It's just fun! another benefit, you get a 30% discount at LaCabana for any days you rent form them. Also, we used a II get-away this year to stay at Lacabana on a week we do not own.
Old Monday, October 31st, 2005, 06:11 PM

dmilbury is on a distinguished road

We use RCI, and if you are patient you shouldn't have a problem. You just have to realize you can't get a week unless someone else deposits it. So I always get my airfare, and put in an exchange request, sometimes you don't get a place until a month before, but it has never failed me. I always check out hotels for a back up just in case. This is just an observation, so I am not complaining or anything. But people renting their weeks instead of exchanging adds to the problem of getting a place. That is why one shows up available at the last minute, when they couldn't rent it then they deposit it. And that doesn't work out well for them either, since trading power is based on certain criteria, one being how far in advance you deposit it.
Old Tuesday, November 1st, 2005, 04:17 AM
Aruba Expert

I actually just got an exchange through RCI for 2007, 2 bedrooms at Casa Del Mar. I am psyched. Also got two weeks three bedrooms each at Orange Lake in Orlando. Probably making up for my complaining!

Last edited by DiviAruba; Tuesday, November 1st, 2005 at 04:50 AM.