Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Sunday, July 19th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Aruba Expert

Dogwriter is on a distinguished road
Default Just Returned.

Back from two amazing weeks at CDM. Saw lots of weather, ate too much good food and discovered Aruba's own rum. The rum won.
Walt

"Vacation is what you make of it, what you take from it and what you leave behind."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, July 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Just Returned.

Welcome back, Walt ~ tell us more!! How are the beaches at ABC and CDM???? Did you go to karaoke at Matthews on Wednesday night???
Old Sunday, July 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Aruba Expert

Default Re: Just Returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
Welcome back, Walt ~ tell us more!! How are the beaches at ABC and CDM???? Did you go to karaoke at Matthews on Wednesday night???
The beach between the jetties at CDM is still a little rough and narrow. Two levels: above the rocks and below the rocks. Entry was fine. As you walk north, the beach widened nicely. We loved going in by ABC. Calmer surf and more beach. By Manchebo and north, it was perfect as the topless nymphs enjoyed that area, (along with their topless grandmothers.)
Went to kareoke night the first week and it was fun. Didn't go the second week. Nice to see things going on there.
Won two bingo games at CDM and Wendy won one at ABC. Cleaned up in food and drink vouchers, t-shirts,beach bags, wine, water wallets, cash and sealed drink cups! Life was good!
Ate at Tortuga Grille several times. Best kept secret on the island for good food at good prices. Early specials and Pasta night were right on. Matthews on Rib Night was excellent. Also loved breakfast and lunch there.
Liked Pizza Bob's and loved Texas de Brazil, The Promenade (for the "appetizer/entrees), Driftwood and The French Steakhouse. All homeruns. Nice lunch downtown at La Petite Cafe and dinner at the Dutch Pancake House.
Crazy weather for Aruba. More pop-up rains than ever. Felt like Antigua or Jamaica. Then, the day would turn beautiful. Even rained Saturday as we were leaving. I hear this marked the end of a long drought after a rainy Autumn.
Had some higher than normal winds and rough seas one day. Did Sunset Sail with Pelican the next day and it was wonderful. Nice two hour sail with snacks and lots of drinks. Lots of drinks. (Lots of drinks.)
Had Visit Aruba Card and used it some, but specials are out there and since you can't combine, it is a toss-up if it is worth it. At Driftwood, ask for special menu, it doesn't appear unless you ask. Great food and a good deal. At Promenade, ask for the appetizer menu. At Tortuga, ask about specials each day and the times they are available.
Drinks are the killer everywhere. Shopped at Hong King(?) for a few provisions as well as wine, soda and booze. Worked out very well.
Had the best time ever and saved a ton over all-inclusive. Loved the adventure and exploration. Hated coming home.

"Vacation is what you make of it, what you take from it and what you leave behind."
Old Monday, July 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Walt... this past February when I got there the beaches at ABC and CDM were absolutely beautiful! All of a sudden the sea began churning, and within days every rock was exposed! Two trees from Bucuti wound up on ABC's beach, and I'd watch the sand begin to cover them. I left a month later, and one tree was totally covered; the other somewhat exposed. Mother Nature's amazing.

As far as I'm concerned, ABC and CDM are jewels, and now we have so many choices to walk to for dinner. I eat at Tortuga a few times while there, and plan to eat at Matthews next trip since I've only had breakfast there.

I found the karaoke nights so much fun. Our whole group would go, and it was a real "happening."

Glad you had fun, and everything was so positive.

Eventually, even though I have a long time, my countdown will begin again... Meanwhile, I live vicariously through all of you that are there, are going or who just got back.

Thanks!!
Old Monday, July 20th, 2009, 09:36 AM

TomR is on a distinguished road

I've had breakfast and lunch at Matthews a few times and really enjoyed it, especially because it is right on the beach. I know Tortuga must be in the same area, but I don't remember seeing it. Is it right on the beach too? Maybe I can convince my son and his family to join me there for lunch if I can pull them away from Baby Beach. They are big on snorkeling. I am big on laying on a lounge chair. Lunch on a beach seems a reasonable compromise.
Tom
Old Monday, July 20th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Tom...

I, too, am a total beach person, and can't be dragged away to do anything else but lounge.

Tortuga's on the beach at ABC... pretty much like Matthews, but much smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
I've had breakfast and lunch at Matthews a few times and really enjoyed it, especially because it is right on the beach. I know Tortuga must be in the same area, but I don't remember seeing it. Is it right on the beach too? Maybe I can convince my son and his family to join me there for lunch if I can pull them away from Baby Beach. They are big on snorkeling. I am big on laying on a lounge chair. Lunch on a beach seems a reasonable compromise.
Tom
Old Monday, July 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road

Beware of the "demon" rum!!!! I can relate to that - swore off that stuff years ago - still remember the room spinning !!!
Old Monday, July 20th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
Tom...

I, too, am a total beach person, and can't be dragged away to do anything else but lounge.

Tortuga's on the beach at ABC... pretty much like Matthews, but much smaller.
Exactly. You have to know that Tortuga is there. Our first night, we were snooping around and the waitress showed us the Early Bird Menu. $19.95 per person. Wow! One of the best meals ever. Salad/appetizer, entree and desert. Had seafood crepe for starters and the best grouper ever. They have a Fisherman's soup that is awesome as well. Monday is Barbeque Night and Thursday is all you can eat pasta night. I had both red and white clam sauce.
They got a chef from the D.R. that makes amazing sauces, but because you cannot see the place from the road, you have to know it is there. Dining is at tables in a semi- open pavillion with the ocean yards away...
Ahhhruba!

Old Monday, July 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Thumbs up Re: Just Returned.

Roy really takes care with the running of Tortuga. A couple years ago, a friend and I ordered something from the menu, and when the bill came it was $6 more then the menu price. When we questioned it we were told we were looking at an old menu. Heck, that was the menu given to us when we walked in. Anyway, when the manager checked with Roy after the fact, he invited my friend and for dinner on the house!! That was really sweet, and an offer we couldn't refuse!! lol
Old Monday, July 20th, 2009, 11:13 PM

TomR is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I'll try to check Tortuga out when I get there the week after next. All you can eat pasta night on Thursday may be just what the Doctor ordered to satisfy my grandson and his friend, especially since that is the only night I agreed to babysit them .
Tom