Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Kent Gerber back to Aruba for 20th trip

I just flew in Sunday night for my 20th trip on Aruba. I will be here for 1 month and its just going to be a month of snorkling. I have alot of guest and friends coming so I will be playing tour guide for a month which that is what I LOVE to do. I am staying at the Marriott Surf Club the first week and then I will be going to Club Arias for 3 weeks. The wife and kids stayed home to keep the lawn buisness going and they will be joining me in Florida after this trip is done. It was pouring down rain when I landed late Sunday night. Yesterday I took a family snorkling and we seen 3 turtles. The wind was calm and it was overcast all day and all the grass along the roads are green so it must have been raining alot lately. I probably won't post everyday because I will just be snorkling everyday and I brought a small cooler of meat from home so I really like to grill out so I won't have much to talk about. I really feel like I'm at home when I come to Aruba. This is such a great Island. Talk to you soon. Kent Gerber

29th trip Nov 4th for 5 months!!
Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
www.arubabobsnorkeling.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM

Joann71 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kent Gerber back to Aruba for 20th trip

So jealous of a month in Aruba! Where were you snorkeling when you saw the turtles?

Enjoy!
Old Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010, 09:45 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Kent Gerber back to Aruba for 20th trip

I'm soooooooooo jealous, too!!

Keep us updated when you can, Kent!! Have fun!!
Old Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
I'm soooooooooo jealous, too!!

Keep us updated when you can, Kent!! Have fun!!
ditto from me Kent.
Old Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Aruba Expert

One Happy Island Re: Kent Gerber back to Aruba for 20th trip

I snorkle Mangel Halto once or twice a day. The current gets strong but I have water scooters to pull you around. Otherwise its not a smart place to go without a guide. Let me know if you are ever here when I am and I would be glad to take you. I just got back from my second trip today and it poured rain and all the roads were flooded. It was another overcast day but oh well, its Aruba!!!!!

Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
Old Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010, 09:45 PM

Joann71 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the offer...don't have our next trip planned yet. Do you bring those water scooters with your or rent them on the island? I had no idea something like that even existed and I had to google it to find out what you were talking about. We do have a local friend who could probably take us there.

One of my friends has been trying to spot a sea turtle since our first snorkeling trip in St. Maarten! (I have to admit I went to Aruba 3 times before that and never went snorkeling...I enjoy my time relaxing on the beach! Snorkeling is amazing but can be exhausting!) This was the first time she came to Aruba with me and we did spot on but only from the boat.

Enjoy the rest of your month in paradise!
Old Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010, 11:10 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I snorkle Mangel Halto once or twice a day. The current gets strong but I have water scooters to pull you around. Otherwise its not a smart place to go without a guide. Let me know if you are ever here when I am and I would be glad to take you. I just got back from my second trip today and it poured rain and all the roads were flooded. It was another overcast day but oh well, its Aruba!!!!!
A little surprised at all the rain - but I'm sure it's not holding you back from having a wonderful time.
Old Thursday, June 24th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Aruba Expert

I leave these scooters and all my gear in storage here on the Island.

Old Thursday, June 24th, 2010, 01:43 PM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you're having a great time, Kent. I wish we could be there too. We would definately like to meet up with you the next time we come.

Bobbie

ps. Thanks in advance for your help w/the Ocean Club unit!
Old Thursday, June 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Aruba Expert

Bobby, You are welcome. I will take you guys snorkling this winter. I am booked from Jan 25 thru March 15. You guys take care. Kent

Old Saturday, June 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Aruba Expert

Everything is still good on Aruba. Been snorkling twice a day and this morning was the best morning yet. The water was crystal clear. Seen a big school of jacks, then seen 2 turtles, then a really big school of squid. and a school of tangs at least a couple hundred. Thats why I like to snorkle twice a day. That way you are always there on the good days. Today I leave the Marriott and go to Club Arias for 3 weeks. Thats going to be very nice since I will be 3 minutes away from my snorkling. I ate supper on Wed. night at club Arias and they have a pizza night which is great! Anyone can go for all the pizza and sald you can eat for $20. Then Friday night I went back and they have wing night for $15. It was great. I know I got my moneys worth. I have met several people here from the boards and thats always very nice. I'm one I like to put faces with names. I will keep you posted but for now, its sleep, eat and snorkle. Kent

Old Saturday, June 26th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Good morning, Kent!!

Love your reports.... Looking forward to meeting you on island one of these years!!
Old Sunday, June 27th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Aruba Expert

went to Charlies bar last night and had shrimp scampi and it was great. Since I'm only 10 minutes away its not a bad drive. Here at Club Arias they serve you breakfast every morning so I met Laura from Paris. She is very nice and has a nice family. They have 2 girls. Laura is going snorlking with me in the morning. She is on these boards and its so nice to meet some people who you just here about. They will be here for 2 weeks so I'm sure I will get to know her family better. The wind and sun is back with us. Last week it was overcast alot and rain at night. The greass along the roads are all green so they have had plenty of rain. I went snorkling myself this morning and saw 2 turtles and I can't believe how quick I got to Mangel Halto. 3 minutes!!! Thats all it takes. I am off to the airport to get some friends that are first timers so I will be back in the entertaining mode. Kent

Old Sunday, June 27th, 2010, 01:43 PM

DANNY O is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Kent Gerber back to Aruba for 20th trip

Hi Kent,
Didnt know that you posted on both boards.
Have A great time
Danny

Old Sunday, June 27th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear the rains have left and the sun and winds have returned. Keep these reports coming. It's like we're there with you.
Old Tuesday, June 29th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Aruba Expert

I took Laura from the board snorkling yesterday. She lives in Paris and we had a great time. She wants to go again so thats a great sign to me that she liked it. Check some other people in at the Marriott so I took them snorkling at Molmeck just to make sure they were comfortable with snorkling and the scooters. They are in their 70's so they really did a great job. Took then to Lindas Pancakes for breakfast and then sent them to Wacky Wahoos last night. I stayed at Club Arias last night for Pasta Night. Chef Gabrial does a awsome job. It was fantastic!!! Kent

Old Thursday, July 1st, 2010, 10:56 AM
Aruba Expert

Tuesday evening we went to Mirandies and you cant beat the Grouper special. Thats always good there. Been taking 2 groups a day snorkling and its really been nice. Yesterday I wanted to rent a 4 door jeep for the day to take the 4 older people on a jeep tour. Nobody had one so I went on the internet and found out Smart had one so I signed up for 10 pickup. Nobodt was around so I left a note on the door with my cell # on it and right beside them some guy was washing a 4 door jeep from Top Drive. I went in the office and they had 2 availible for even cheaper than smart. I took that one and at 10:15 a guy from Smart called me and said we don't have any 4 door jeeps availible. Why would they give me a res # the day before and then not be there at the time I told them and then call 15 min later and say they don't have any. I won't be using them again but I will use Top Drive again for a nice 4 door jeep. Ate at Club Arias for Pizza night last night and its the best pizza on the Island from Chef Gabrial. Did the Island tour and ate lunch at Charlies bar. They had a special of pork tenderlion and it was so tender and thats the best I have ever had. Off to buy a cell phone so people can get ahold of me. They have a free phone to call the US at Club Arias for their guest buy to call local, I need a cell. Kent

Old Thursday, July 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM

DANNY O is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Kent Gerber back to Aruba for Th trip

You're going to need a secretary if you keep this up.You may have to give up your other business to take all these people snorkeling.What a life...Enjoy my friend.

Old Monday, July 5th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Aruba Expert

Thurseday night we went to Madem Janetts and it was great. Friday was Papementoes and when the sun went down the flies moved in and for 20 minutes it was flies all over your food. I have never seen that before. Saturday was my guest last night so we went to Flying Fishbone and they all said that was their best meal of the week. The grouper was the special and it was the BEST!!! Jonic used to work at Rumbas but now she is at FFB. She is the BEST waitress on the Island so if you ever go there, ask for her and tell her Mr. Gerber sent you. I took Aquaman snorkling from Canada yesterday and it was very nice to meet him in person. Yesterday I went snorkling 3 times. I was shot last night. I ate at a Columbian place last night in San Nicholas and they lock the door and only let in who they want. There were some drunk guys banging on the door and ringing the buzzer to come in but the waitresses wouldn't let them in. The one guy washes your car and wants money and he makes your car worse than what it was so when he went to my car, I opened the door and asked him to get away from my car and he did. He was at Charlies Bar last time and took a dirty rag and smeared dirt all over my jeep windows and then he wanted paid. I shook his hand and went into Charleys. After we ate I came out and he was waiting on me. I kept walking and then he got right into my face. My wife told me to just give him a few bucks so I did and thats all he wanted. They say there is about 5 guys in San Nicholas who have their special places and they just want money. Its alot more scary at night. I am off to snorkle. I have some more people coming from the boards this week so its always great to meet people from the boards. I forgot to mention thet at FFB the mosquetoes about ate us up when the sun went down. Everything is green here so mornings and evening they are terrible. Later. Kent

Old Monday, July 5th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Our one experience with FFB, they put a bottle of OFF on the tables as they handed out menus. It was needed and it didn't help. I haven't mentioned it in a while, but it confirms what Kent just said.
Old Monday, July 5th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Aruba Expert

Never been to the island this time of year -- does the wind just disappear? The constant breeze is a main attraction for us, and for many reasons, one of which is it keeps the bugs away.
Old Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Aruba Expert

There is still a breeze here but when you get the rains like they have been getting, then the bugs are a problem morning and evening. I haven;t seen much rain or else its at night but before I came down it rained alot. Kent

Old Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road

There was no wind on the day we arrived, needless to say the mosquitos were out in full force. The mosquitos were the worst this year! I really get bitten up if there is a mosquito nearby, day or night. I ran out of insect repellant so I went into the store at the Casa Del Mar and the girl at the counter reccommended "Mosquito Milk" it is a roll on and really worked. One other of my friends told me she buys it there and it is not available in the states. Let me tell you that stuff really worked! So I brought a bottle home with me!

Oh Kent by the way, I saw you made the news papers...very impressive!

Last edited by captmorgnsgrl; Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
Never been to the island this time of year -- does the wind just disappear? The constant breeze is a main attraction for us, and for many reasons, one of which is it keeps the bugs away.

That really is one of the reasons I love it there is the because of the wind. But this was quite unusual, it was because of a tropical depression in the area. But after two days it was wind as usual! Many of the locals were saying it was much more humid than normal. Yes the wind does keep those pesky critters away...

Old Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

The last three days of my vacation in February were just like that... no wind at all!! The mosquitos weren't bad, but I spent a whole lot of time in the water because it was oppressive!
Old Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, 08:54 PM

JohnL is on a distinguished road

Hi Kent:

Looks like everything is going well for you. I get there Friday and we have a snorkel date on the 14th. Can't wait. Did you manage to get that cell phone?

Hope we have time to go to Charlie's after snorkeling for a little shrimp and pork. On me. Thanks for doing what you do. Much appreciated.
Old Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmorgnsgrl View Post
There was no wind on the day we arrived, needless to say the mosquitos were out in full force. The mosquitos were the worst this year! I really get bitten up if there is a mosquito nearby, day or night. I ran out of insect repellant so I went into the store at the Casa Del Mar and the girl at the counter reccommended "Mosquito Milk" it is a roll on and really worked. One other of my friends told me she buys it there and it is not available in the states. Let me tell you that stuff really worked! So I brought a bottle home with me!

Oh Kent by the way, I saw you made the news papers...very impressive!
Wow, I have to remember that mosquito milk roll on. I would buy it by the case I swear. My brother tells everyone that he never has to worry about bug bites if I'm around because they all bite me. Sticks right by my side and says it's better than citronella LOL. Seriously, I get really weird and bad reactions to mosquito bites so I'm always on the hunt for something that works. Believe it or not, about a year ago I read that if you tuck a plain old dryer sheet in your pocket it keeps the bugs away. I figured what did I have to lose? Of course, more is better - so I garden with dryer sheets in my socks, pockets, tied onto my hat and only let my very best friends see me! You know, so far the only times I've been bitten is when I forgot to use those dryer sheets. I even tucked them in my pocket when we went to MJ's once last March. And it worked. When we went back the next time, I forgot and sure enough I got bit a bunch of times. Could be coincidence, but it's easy enough to carry one. Now if I add mosquito milk to the mix, maybe it'll be foolproof! One can dream, right?
Old Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
That really is one of the reasons I love it there is the because of the wind. But this was quite unusual, it was because of a tropical depression in the area. But after two days it was wind as usual! Many of the locals were saying it was much more humid than normal. Yes the wind does keep those pesky critters away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
The last three days of my vacation in February were just like that... no wind at all!! The mosquitos weren't bad, but I spent a whole lot of time in the water because it was oppressive!
Usually when we go in March, there aren't too many days with no wind, but every once in a while you get a few days without it and you just have to stay in the water til you get pruney... and without wind, when they ask do you want to eat inside or out - it's most definitely IN. I want to EAT dinner not BE dinner. LOL
Old Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Aruba Expert

John, We are all set for the 14th and we will be at the RIU at 7:50 am. I have 2 other people and Charlies won't be open that early. We should be back by 10 or so. I do have a local cell which I get mornings and evenings. 560-0104. Kent

Old Wednesday, July 7th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Wow, I have to remember that mosquito milk roll on. I would buy it by the case I swear. My brother tells everyone that he never has to worry about bug bites if I'm around because they all bite me. Sticks right by my side and says it's better than citronella LOL. Seriously, I get really weird and bad reactions to mosquito bites so I'm always on the hunt for something that works. Believe it or not, about a year ago I read that if you tuck a plain old dryer sheet in your pocket it keeps the bugs away. I figured what did I have to lose? Of course, more is better - so I garden with dryer sheets in my socks, pockets, tied onto my hat and only let my very best friends see me! You know, so far the only times I've been bitten is when I forgot to use those dryer sheets. I even tucked them in my pocket when we went to MJ's once last March. And it worked. When we went back the next time, I forgot and sure enough I got bit a bunch of times. Could be coincidence, but it's easy enough to carry one. Now if I add mosquito milk to the mix, maybe it'll be foolproof! One can dream, right?

Same with me, I have the worst reactions to mosquito bites...I mean bad..blisters and everything! People think I am paranoid about mosquitos. Well they haven't waken up in the middle of the night on fire from those bites! I hear you on allergic reactions. So take my word for it...this stuff works. I also use bounce dryer sheets, they are the only ones that work for me! I think I posted something like that a couple of years ago. Anyway...yes the mosquito milk is great! I did a bit of research on it and it is made in the UK...you can order it online from their website. It is great stuff and really worked for me!

Old Wednesday, July 7th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Same with me, I have the worst reactions to mosquito bites...I mean bad..blisters and everything! People think I am paranoid about mosquitos. Well they haven't waken up in the middle of the night on fire from those bites! I hear you on allergic reactions. So take my word for it...this stuff works. I also use bounce dryer sheets, they are the only ones that work for me! I think I posted something like that a couple of years ago. Anyway...yes the mosquito milk is great! I did a bit of research on it and it is made in the UK...you can order it online from their website. It is great stuff and really worked for me!
I get the same reaction from people about my feelings on mosquitos. I believe I have found a kindred soul on this topic LOL. Not only are the bites bad, but they NEVER seem to go away. I have them for weeks sometimes. Thanks a bunch for info on Mosq.Milk - I can't wait to give it a try. I may be pushing the envelope, but does the MM smell any better than the traditional OFF or Cutters stuff? Not that it will really make a difference, because if it works I don't think I'd care what it smelled like. And I have never tested one brand dryer sheet against another.... Thanks again.
Old Thursday, July 8th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
I get the same reaction from people about my feelings on mosquitos. I believe I have found a kindred soul on this topic LOL. Not only are the bites bad, but they NEVER seem to go away. I have them for weeks sometimes. Thanks a bunch for info on Mosq.Milk - I can't wait to give it a try. I may be pushing the envelope, but does the MM smell any better than the traditional OFF or Cutters stuff? Not that it will really make a difference, because if it works I don't think I'd care what it smelled like. And I have never tested one brand dryer sheet against another.... Thanks again.

Mosquito Milk mainly contains deet, but I don't care it worked! We are kindred spirits on the mosquito issue. The smell is not offensive and does not smell any worse than the othere sheets or sprays. I will tell you another product that is outstanding and works great for me. It is through Avon and it is their insect repellant sheets. That is what I ran out of when I went looking for the MM. Give them a try also, they contain picardin (sp) And they really kept the mosquitos away.

Old Thursday, July 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Aruba Expert

Sunday night went to a Columbian place which was good. Monday night was dinner at Club Arias. Tuesday night was bacon wrapped shrimp on the grill. Wed was pizza night at Club Arias. Tonight the chef at Club Arias, Gabriel has his parents here for a week and they cooked us up Mexican. Wow! That was some good home cooken. I took some more people from the boards snorkling and also keep taking the new guest that come to Club Arias. Been going about 3 times a day. Yesterday I saw my first big green eel this trip. He was right below me and it was awsome!!!! Later. Kent

Old Sunday, July 11th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Aruba Expert

Friday was wing night at Club Arias. He does wings 4 different ways and then he did a shrimp appetizer which was out of this world. Sat night he did Almound crusted grouper for us. I brought some fish and shrimp from home so Chef Gabriel is doing some cooking and showing me some new ways to cook fish and shrimp. He is a GREAT Chef!!! I guess all the locals are going to be sad because of the WORLD CUP.

Old Sunday, July 11th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Aruba Expert

thanks for sharing kent. as usual, sounds like you're doing it right. sure wish I was there...
Old Tuesday, July 13th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Aruba Expert

I have just been snorkling everyday. The other night I went to Mangel Halto by myself and when I got done alittle after 5 pm I say a couple snorkling in the shallow area and I flew by them on my water scooter. I seen they were up talking to each other so I went close to them and when I came up the guy asked if I was Kent Gerber. I said yes but who are you. He said we are from Oklohoma and I never post but I read your post all the time. They said this was their last day in Aruba and they got up early to snorkle Mangel Halto and they liked it so much they came back that afternoon. I told them they haven't seen the good stuff because they never went out into the nice fire coral. He said they had res at Passions at 8. I told them I would be glad to run back to Club Arias which is 3 min away and get 3 good scooters and come back and give them the tour. They said they couldn't pass it up so thats what we did. We got done just at dark and had a great time. He worked for the electric company and she was a Band teacher. I hope to meet them again in Aruba one of these days. Sunday night we went to Sultans which was my first time and we had the meat platter and it was awsome. We are going to go back. Lunch was at Casa Veeza which Dan and Heather took me there last time and thats the 3rd time I went this year. Thanks Dan or San Nicholas 44. Last night was Pasta night at Club Arias which is always a treat. My month is winding down and I hate to see it come to a end so soon but all good things must come to a end. Kent

Old Sunday, July 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Aruba Expert

The party is over because I flew to Florida yesterday and I already miss Aruba. A month flew by so fast. I met a guy that took over the cafe Capri so I ate lunch with him there one day and it was really, really good. Thats the first time I was there and I will be going back. Took the Island tour on the helecopter for the first time and thats a great way to see the Island. I really enjoyed myself this year and I never go in the Spring or fall but I just talked my wife in going back mid Oct for (I told her 4 days but I'm booking 6, please don't tell her.) Its our 27th year anniversary so we will celebrate it in Aruba. Then I have 7 weeks booked for end of Jan thru mid March. Can't wait! If anyone wants to snorkle from Jan 25 thru March 15 please e-mail me direct and give me your dates and I would be glad to show you the great underwaters of Aruba. Kent Gerber
kentgerber@adamswells.com

Old Sunday, August 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM

hcazoo is on a distinguished road

Kent - thanks for your expertise - I visit every year and snorkel at Malmok, Arashi and Baby beach. Have not tried Mangel Halto but understand (from you and others) that it is the best.

Is it safe for me to park a rental car at Mangel Halto? I heard that there is a high risk of break-ins. Remove stock radio from the car?

I am a fairly good swimmer, with fins; do I need a device to get to the good coral?

Going 8/23-30.

Thanks!

Henry
Old Wednesday, August 11th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Aruba Expert

Henry. I don't leave anything in the car except in the trunck. Its pretty safe like that. I even leave the glove box open but lock the car. That way they know you don't have anything worth stealing. The only thing with Mangel Halto is the current sometime can be pretty strong. I would go to the left into the current that way if you get tired, the current will bring you back.

Old Wednesday, August 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Aruba Expert

swim straight out to the dark stuff. Thats the fire coral and its the best!! You will be good with fins. With the water scooters we go clear over to the shanny on the Island to the right. I wouldn't go that far without a water scooter. Kent

Old Thursday, August 12th, 2010, 11:17 PM

hcazoo is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the info. Really looking forward to checking it out. 11 days to go...

Henry