Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default KLM returned on Monday

KLM returns on Monday
28 Jan, 2010, 09:20 (GMT -04:00)

Email dit artikel
Print dit artikel
ORANJESTAD — The first KLM-flight to Aruba on Monday, February 1st, is fully booked, says the Minister of Tourism, Labor & Transport, Otmar Oduber (AVP). It is the first KLM-aircraft flying to Aruba since the airline company had decided to discontinue the regular service between Amsterdam and Aruba on March 29th, last year.
At the invitation of the airline company, Premier Mike Eman (AVP) will be flying from the Netherlands back to Aruba with the inaugural flight on Monday. Since the cabinet Eman had assumed office, there had been intensive contact between the government and KLM in order to induce them to include Aruba as destination again in their flight schedule. “We are extremely happy we succeeded in convincing KLM to resume their flights to Aruba,” says Eman. Colleague-minister Otmar Oduber and I had spoken with KLM several times, in particular with general director Peter Hartman. These meetings had been exceptionally cordial.”
Minister Oduber states that KLM’s presence is ‘very important’ for the European market. “Thirty percent of the people who had flown with KLM had come from elsewhere besides the Netherlands. In order to diversify the tourism market, it is important that we focus on the European market. This market is very interesting in view of the strong euro.” The Minister is still negotiating with KLM to increase their number of flights. Martinair currently has six flights per week; ArkeFly 4, and KLM will start next Monday with two flights per week, on Monday and Thursday.
Until 2009, KLM had been a regular on Aruba. The company had flown to Aruba for seventy consecutive years. Eman: “Due to circumstances, they had decided to discontinue the flights to Aruba.”
According to the Premier, the relation with KLM has been regenerated. “I find it hard to avoid the impression that the airline company had also considered it important to connect all parts of our Kingdom with one another.”
The return of KLM is sooner than expected. KLM’s new flight schedule for the coming season only starts officially as of March.
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM

ArubaMilie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KLM returned on Monday

This was very exciting news... let's hope soon they will use Calloway again as their caterer.... that would be even better! But this is a good start!

Babymoon trip to West Coast- April 24-May 9
San Fran-Yosemite-Las Vegas-GC-UT NP's-Salt Lake City-Rapid City
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

uhm, milie? is that ticker factory in your signature what i think it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaMilie View Post
This was very exciting news... let's hope soon they will use Calloway again as their caterer.... that would be even better! But this is a good start!
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
uhm, milie? is that ticker factory in your signature what i think it is?
mg_smile yes it is... will be our first! Finally decided on starting a family!

Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator

that is so exciting! i remember a picture of you as a college kid that you sent me quite a few years ago. it's so much fun to see the changes in your life and to see you so happy. can i be an adopted auntie?

Quote:
mg_smile yes it is... will be our first! Finally decided on starting a family!
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
that is so exciting! i remember a picture of you as a college kid that you sent me quite a few years ago. it's so much fun to see the changes in your life and to see you so happy. can i be an adopted auntie?
It feels like it was just yesterday!!!! Been in the US for almost 12 years this year, working for 7, married almost 7! You sure can be an adopted Auntie, especially since I am only child...

Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Administrator

it's so hard to believe it's been 12 years since you moved to the states! so many years ago that we chatted. heck, i remember i used to be almost young in those days, lol.

Quote:
It feels like it was just yesterday!!!! Been in the US for almost 12 years this year, working for 7, married almost 7! You sure can be an adopted Auntie, especially since I am only child...
Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
it's so hard to believe it's been 12 years since you moved to the states! so many years ago that we chatted. heck, i remember i used to be almost young in those days, lol.
LOL! Tell me about it! I'm 30 now!

Old Thursday, February 4th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Administrator

OMG! that is hard to believe!

i think we just hijacked another thread here. ok, i'm guilty!

Quote:
LOL! Tell me about it! I'm 30 now!
Old Monday, February 8th, 2010, 08:06 AM

SunSeeker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: KLM returned on Monday

Luckily enough KLM flies to Aruba again. I had many airmiles at KLM. Airmiles are a kind of savings points you can earn when you fly with KLM. Today I booked 2 tickets with my airmils card.
In June we come.
Old Monday, February 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSeeker View Post
Luckily enough KLM flies to Aruba again. I had many airmiles at KLM. Airmiles are a kind of savings points you can earn when you fly with KLM. Today I booked 2 tickets with my airmils card.
In June we come.
CONGRATS!! I love skymiles too with Delta.. luckily they fly straight to Aruba from here...

Old Wednesday, February 10th, 2010, 05:44 AM

mequese is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Minister Oduber states that KLM’s presence is ‘very important’ for the European market. “Thirty percent of the people who had flown with KLM had come from elsewhere besides the Netherlands. In order to diversify the tourism market, it is important that we focus on the European market. This market is very interesting in view of the strong euro.” The Minister is still negotiating with KLM to increase their number of flights. Martinair currently has six flights per week; ArkeFly 4, and KLM will start next Monday with two flights per week, on Monday and Thursday.
I couldn't agree more with Mr Oduber. Living in Italy, we used to buy (or use Flying Blue miles for) a single KLM ticket from Milan with an official connection in Amsterdam, with our luggage ticketed to the final destination. To do this now with the current schedule, we would have to add/subtract 2 nights before/after our Saturday-Saturday timeshare.
What we are doing instead in a couple of weeks is flying to Amsterdam on a KLM ticket on a Friday and then taking Martinair to Aruba on Saturday. Coming back, we have 5 hours to transfer in Amsterdam between the Martinair and KLM flights. The flights are not linked, no protection is offered for making the "connection". We will have to pick up our luggage and check in again, and if the Martinair flight should be very late, we risk missing our return to Milan and having to buy a very expensive ticket on the spot.
An important factor in deciding to purchase our timeshare was the availability of frequent KLM flights from Italy to Aruba. Much as we love Aruba, we would have made a different decision given the current situation.