Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, December 31st, 2007, 09:31 AM

Bernie157 is on a distinguished road
Default Lack of street/road signs

I was looking for a better place to post this.

We've been to Aruba the last 3 Decembers and despite having a few maps in hand, have a tough time finding our way around in some cases. Unless something is on Irausquin, Smith Blvd, or some of the main downtown streets, or we get good directions from reception desk or on the phone, the lack or dearth of road and route markings, esp. at night, makes getting from here to there a little difficult.

Bernie in CT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, December 31st, 2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lack of street/road signs

you posted in the right place. i totally agree with you about the street/road signs. however, i have realized it is fun getting lost except when you have dinner reservations and can't find the place as happened to us in august. i think that if the signs became that clear it would take away something from the adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie157 View Post
I was looking for a better place to post this.

We've been to Aruba the last 3 Decembers and despite having a few maps in hand, have a tough time finding our way around in some cases. Unless something is on Irausquin, Smith Blvd, or some of the main downtown streets, or we get good directions from reception desk or on the phone, the lack or dearth of road and route markings, esp. at night, makes getting from here to there a little difficult.

Bernie in CT
Old Monday, December 31st, 2007, 11:39 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
you posted in the right place. i totally agree with you about the street/road signs. however, i have realized it is fun getting lost except when you have dinner reservations and can't find the place as happened to us in august. i think that if the signs became that clear it would take away something from the adventure.

I have to say, I agree with Bernie. I don't find driving around getting lost fun at all! I want to get to where I am going. Besides, hubby has no patience and gets easily frustrated.

Old Monday, December 31st, 2007, 12:59 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Lack of street/road signs

We also dont mind getting "lost on Aruba". Make a great movie huh? That being said, we solved the problem on our third trip. We get directions, writing them down and then go look for the place in the daylight sometime before we are supposed to be there. We take some mental notes of landmarks and turns. This is how we found Madame Janettes, Papiamento, and Charlies bar plus a few other places. That way if we do get lost, its in the daylight. Hope this helps.
Old Monday, December 31st, 2007, 02:51 PM

Tom and Pam is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Lack of street/road signs

Hey kids,
It's an island, 20 miles long and 6 miles wide. How lost can you get? ? ? ? Just look for the high rise hotels and you have a land mark. Pick a landmark on the rotaries and make a note as to which rotary leads where. Not that difficult. Of course it took us about 4 trips to the island to figure this out. . . . Hey, you are on vacation, in no hurry to get anywhere, take your time and relax. Enjoy the island and it's little out of the way places you find that you did not look for. . . Besides, like Pam says, "It's an island, how long can it take to get there?"

Tom and Pam
Old Monday, December 31st, 2007, 02:55 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

From almost 20 YEARS of experience, may I say that signage is better now than it was in 1988. Saying that, I think that distinct addresses are hard to find.

Maybe an Aruban can explain, but it seems to me that individual addresses are fairly random...almost self assigned. The addresses in the hinterlands are based on a district...like Ayo, Cashero, or Alto Vista. I almost think that someone can pick an address if they build a house between two existing buildings. If Aruba ever went to something like a '911' system, I think they would have to do a major, massive re-ordering.

After 20+ trips, we manage. I am a typical male, usually good at directions, and I don't like to ask. My wife, I think, would be disoriented. We moved to Florida 5 years ago. She manages, but I think she is frequently lost...especially after dark.

As they say, the divi-divi trees point to the hotel area. Happy traveling!
Old Monday, December 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJT View Post
She manages, but I think she is frequently lost...especially after dark.
Ditto!

Old Monday, December 31st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

On Aruba we just know where the things are. Asking for directions is a bit hard too, since we tell you to take a right at such and such building, while that building isn't there anymore, so it's where such and such building used to be... Makes it hard on newcomers, but they do get some island history. :-)

But seriously, yes it's hard, but there is a book you can buy in the bookstore that has almost all the streets and neighborhoods in Aruba with pretty good and actually accurate descriptions on how to get there.
Old Wednesday, January 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Aruba Expert

Sandra,

Am I more or less right that individual homes in the residential areas are somewhat "self-assigned"? I can't see any other explanation.

Even the addresses on some of the major roads leave me puzzled...on streets like J.E. Irauquin Boulevard or L.G. Smith. To me, they just don't follow in sequence.

The US is also far from perfect. I've lived on two streets in New York where the addresses were very hard to find....the numbering was poor, almost ridiculous. The '911' system was supposed to rectify it, but neighbors on the good part of the street objected to change.

Oh well!
Old Wednesday, January 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road

I spent 1 hour this morning looking for Tiara Air's office which is supposed to be near Ling and Sons. Did not find it.

Old Thursday, January 3rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

I live here. Signs are the pitts.

I get lost all the time. Am late to about everything. Can never find places of interest.

Give me a well laid out city with buses, taxis, trams, subways and tons of blue and green signs that block the sun.
Give me a place where everyone knows exactly where they are going all the time.

There is something about getting lost on a small Caribbean island that really bugs me.

I think that government should act on this at once.

be well
charles
Old Thursday, January 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes View Post

Give me a well laid out city with buses, taxis, trams, subways and tons of blue and green signs that block the sun.
be well
charles
That would be New York City!

Old Thursday, January 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sandra,

Am I more or less right that individual homes in the residential areas are somewhat "self-assigned"? I can't see any other explanation.

Even the addresses on some of the major roads leave me puzzled...on streets like J.E. Irauquin Boulevard or L.G. Smith. To me, they just don't follow in sequence.

The US is also far from perfect. I've lived on two streets in New York where the addresses were very hard to find....the numbering was poor, almost ridiculous. The '911' system was supposed to rectify it, but neighbors on the good part of the street objected to change.

Oh well!
That's because most addresses were created from history. In principle it's even numbers on one side of the road, uneven on the other side. But there are so many situations where you had i.e number 35 and 37 next to each other but a piece of land in between so when a house was put there they would number it 35A and with more houses B and C (sometimes they use the entire alphabet.

My house for example is nr. 35. My neighbours on the left are nr. 33 but my neighbors on the right are 34K... Makes sense right? So now everyone looks for my house on the other side of the road but that is nr. 34 as well. Would have made more sense if my neighbors were 35A etc. but for some reason their not. I can't explain it. They did not take growth into account when they started the numbering of the houses.

But like I said there is a book with pretty good directions to many locations. Get it at the bookstore.

As for the Irausquin blvd. and LG smith blvd. they do follow a sequence albeit a strange one. For example nr. 1 is the Havana club, nr. 2 is the surfside hotel, then there is nothing for a long time on the left side, so they skip all those numbers and start again at the Renaissance hotel, which are uneven nrs. again (I believe somewhere in the 30ties), but the right side just keeps on numbering. So there is a nr. 10, but no nr. 11.

Same for the Irausquin blvd. Because there are a lot of buildings "missing" in between the Costa Linda is nr. 25 (or something like that) and the Hyatt is nr. 88 (or 81 don't know the exact nrs).

Does that explain it a bit?
Old Friday, January 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM

aaahruba is on a distinguished road

I kind of like it that way. There are enough fast food eyesores to remind me of home. I don't want to look for 57th Street. I'd stay here for that. I say let the island be the island.

Old Saturday, January 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM

mafalda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-Beach Boy View Post
I spent 1 hour this morning looking for Tiara Air's office which is supposed to be near Ling and Sons. Did not find it.
That office is not open yet, and will be located at sun plaza building, across from ling and sons.....
tiara only at airport and near airport by texaco gas station
Old Saturday, January 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Aruba Expert

I wrote a lengthy response and somehow it has vanished into thin virtuality. Am sure it is my fault since this is a new puter and am not used to all the functions yet.

In any event.....+

The basics and origins of our street system is as follows:
Long ago, there were fewer persons owning land on Aruba and those that did had (by the nature of the beast) huge plots in different sectors that each have names. These large land plots were used mostly for agriculture or other farming needs - including livestock.

As families grew and small "Cunucu" houses did not, there was a need for more houses and these were put close to the main homes and on the same large family plots. With time, this repeated itself and lines of small homes started to become apparent in the country sides.

The :Cunucu" houses all have the main roof spar that runs directly with the wind and the Sun. This is something you can still see today. They also all have the kitchen or cooking area. As such the front doors were all on the same side and paths from one house to the other became lanes that turned into streets.. etc. etc.

Sooo... a plot locted in (as an example) Moko might have an address as follows:
Moko 13-c

This would imply that the house is in MOKO and that historically it was given a sequential number based on the amount of houses or land divisions made by the original owner and that in this new division or plot that it was the fourth house built. (M13, M13-a, M13-b, M13c)

This (by deduction ) also means that there aren't many street names needed but instead the knowlege of knowing where the section is. In fact, most of the streets on Aruba do not have names. Only the newer ones and those in the new townships or developments have names.

It is actually a bit more detailed than this however, this is a basic idea on how our street system started.

Source - Post office historian

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaahruba View Post
I kind of like it that way. There are enough fast food eyesores to remind me of home. I don't want to look for 57th Street. I'd stay here for that. I say let the island be the island.
Old Monday, January 7th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Aruba Expert

Arubalisa is on a distinguished road

I have to admit, the signs are MUCH better than they used to be when we first began visiting Aruba in 1995. With that said, one of the reasons why we use a taxi vs. a rental car is that we do not have the worry about getting lost. We get in and ask where we would be dropped off and we have never been with a driver who did not know where we wanted to go.
Old Monday, January 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Larry Moore is on a distinguished road

In may of 07 we bought into a timeshare with Aruba Phoenix. We listened to a 3 hour speech at this other resort to get a jeep for the day. Ill tell ya what, we had a blast, took off and went plum around the island, what a great time and getting lost was a plus except when I went down this off beaten path and meet up with a bunch of goats that thought that this was theres and I was trespassing..Inwhich it was there place.. Doing this again in May and renting a jeep for a week... Ill follow this wierd looking tree and bends to the west for directions.. I think its west. ha
Old Monday, January 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wrote a lengthy response and somehow it has vanished into thin virtuality. Am sure it is my fault since this is a new puter and am not used to all the functions yet.

In any event.....+

The basics and origins of our street system is as follows:
Long ago, there were fewer persons owning land on Aruba and those that did had (by the nature of the beast) huge plots in different sectors that each have names. These large land plots were used mostly for agriculture or other farming needs - including livestock.

As families grew and small "Cunucu" houses did not, there was a need for more houses and these were put close to the main homes and on the same large family plots. With time, this repeated itself and lines of small homes started to become apparent in the country sides.

The :Cunucu" houses all have the main roof spar that runs directly with the wind and the Sun. This is something you can still see today. They also all have the kitchen or cooking area. As such the front doors were all on the same side and paths from one house to the other became lanes that turned into streets.. etc. etc.

Sooo... a plot locted in (as an example) Moko might have an address as follows:
Moko 13-c

This would imply that the house is in MOKO and that historically it was given a sequential number based on the amount of houses or land divisions made by the original owner and that in this new division or plot that it was the fourth house built. (M13, M13-a, M13-b, M13c)

This (by deduction ) also means that there aren't many street names needed but instead the knowlege of knowing where the section is. In fact, most of the streets on Aruba do not have names. Only the newer ones and those in the new townships or developments have names.

It is actually a bit more detailed than this however, this is a basic idea on how our street system started.

Source - Post office historian

be well
charles
Fascinating! Thank you, Charles. This actually sounds plausible!
Old Tuesday, January 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Aruba Expert

Hey Charlie,
I met up with a person at the Post Office and this is his version. When he explained it to me, he shoed me the maps and earlier family names in those areas. Kind of interesting.

For example (depending on the amount of male children) an area might have a great deal of "Smiths'"

Someday I am going to dig into that a bit more.

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlierat View Post
Fascinating! Thank you, Charles. This actually sounds plausible!
Old Tuesday, January 8th, 2008, 09:45 PM

carrelli is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Lack of street/road signs

Charles,
Thanks for the history. Very interesting how things come to be. I also actually liked Aruba better a few years back when it had even less signs and less paved roads. Loved the handwritten road signs you'd come across in the middle of what seemed to be a cactus field. Getting lost in Aruba is half its charm and quaintness for us foreign city folk. Specially when you can go anywhere on the island safely and explore so many different things. Plus you can always be sure to find your way back to the hotels/ resorts...Just follow the divi trees. I really think besides the always perfect weather and lovely people that live there . That outside the man made resort areas that are beautiful in their own way. The rustic diversified nature of Aruba and its people is what keeps most of us coming back year after year.
Deb in Ma.
Old Thursday, January 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Aruba Expert

zerokarma is on a distinguished road

Signs in Aruba aren't too bad, I've been to places that are far worse.

Once you start traveling outside of America it just tends to be this way quite often.
Old Monday, January 14th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Aruba Expert

Thanks, Sandra and Charles...for in-depth explanations.
Many years ago, some friends had made friends with some Aruban craft people who came to exhibit wares at various resorts...cocktail parties etc.
We made the effort to find their home base/location. The address was something like Cashero 51. We NEVER found it...after driving around in circles for about 90 minutes.
The addresses are still are puzzle to me!
Old Wednesday, January 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT,
Actually if you look at what has been written here then it gets a bit easier.

Get a map and look for the area called "Cashero" Go there and then start to look at the numbers.

be well
charles

Quote:
Thanks, Sandra and Charles...for in-depth explanations.
Many years ago, some friends had made friends with some Aruban craft people who came to exhibit wares at various resorts...cocktail parties etc.
We made the effort to find their home base/location. The address was something like Cashero 51. We NEVER found it...after driving around in circles for about 90 minutes.
The addresses are still are puzzle to me!
Old Saturday, January 19th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

My favorite post of all of these (sarcasm at its most delicious):

Quote:

I get lost all the time. Am late to about everything. Can never find places of interest.

There is something about getting lost on a small Caribbean island that really bugs me.

I think that government should act on this at once.

be well
charles
Old Sunday, January 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Aruba Expert

Thank you for the compliment - however sarcasm???/ What gives you that idea?

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post
My favorite post of all of these (sarcasm at its most delicious):
Old Sunday, January 20th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

As Corrine noted - we've already got NYC, we don't need another one in the Caribbean. I say knock down ALL the signs and let's have fun!

Quote:
Thank you for the compliment - however sarcasm???/ What gives you that idea?

be well
charles
Old Sunday, January 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Aruba Expert

ScubaBOS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
On Aruba we just know where the things are. Asking for directions is a bit hard too, since we tell you to take a right at such and such building, while that building isn't there anymore, so it's where such and such building used to be... Makes it hard on newcomers, but they do get some island history. :-)

But seriously, yes it's hard, but there is a book you can buy in the bookstore that has almost all the streets and neighborhoods in Aruba with pretty good and actually accurate descriptions on how to get there.
That's how you give directions in New England. You might tell someone. "'bout half mile before the bridge take a right."

I know the streets on Aruba have names, but admitably away from the urban areas signs are few and far between. I used the map published by Borch which is very accurate. Even without signs I find it a great help.

Aruba for me
Old Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM

LearJet9 is on a distinguished road

We actually look forward to getting lost in Aruba. We always have a rental and we just pick a day we call our Aruba road trip day. We start driving turning left and right randomly down streets or dirt roads that look interesting. We have always had a blast doing this and oddly enough even after having done this many times, we still find things we haven't seen before. (Or at least didn't remember seeing)
Bill & Donna