Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, April 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road
Default Marriott's Dinner for Two - A Great Deal

Marriott offers "Dinner for Two" certificates which can be ordered from Marriott's website. It's for Marriott, Renaissance and Courtyard Restaurants in North America and outside North America.

The cost of the certificate is is $90.00 which entitles each individual to: choice of appetizer, salad, entree, dessert and unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. I bought this for my daughter when she went to Aruba in Feb. They used it for Tuscany Restaurant at the Marriott.

Last week I ordered one for myself. DHL delivered it yesterday. Last night I called the conciere desk at Renaissance in Aruba to see if it could be used at LG Smiths at the Marina Hotel. The conceire didn't know anything about it so she called LG Smith's and they said "no". I don't think she understood what I was talking about.

The back of the certificate does includes a list of restaurants that the certificate cannot be used at (one is The View Restaurant at the N.Y. Marriott Marquis). Also there is a statement that the certificate may not be honored at restaurants within the hotel not owned or operated by Marriott.

I then called directly Tuscany's and they said yes "they do take the certificate". I made reservations for Sat. April 22nd when my husband will be in Aruba with me.

I have read reviews on the boards that Tuscany's is not as good as it used to be. I have never been there but I would like to try it. My husband asked my daughter last night and she said she really enjoyed it. She had a pasta dish.

When I looked at Tuscany's menu in December, the entrees I saw where all $32.00 and over. For $45.00 a person I think this is a great deal because it includes everything INCLUDING tax (there's no tax on food in Aruba is there). And it also INCLUDES gratuity.

BTW - this morning I called Marriott customer service and asked about LG Smith's. I was switched all over since no one has the answer about LG Smith's. Finally, I got a woman who called the Ren for me and the hotel called me back. Susan at the front desk at the Marina Hotel called Food & Beverage Dept. and they said yes, that LG Smith's does honor the Dinner for Two Certificate. Since I already made the reservation for Tuscany's I will keep that.

I think this is a great deal - do you?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, April 4th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Almost Aruban

elisabeth_nj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Marriott's Dinner for Two - A Great Deal

When I was at Iguana Joe's last week a girl behind me asked the waiter if they accept Marriott cards and he said yes. She gave him her card and got a discount! What's that all about?
Old Tuesday, April 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_nj
When I was at Iguana Joe's last week a girl behind me asked the waiter if they accept Marriott cards and he said yes. She gave him her card and got a discount! What's that all about?
I have no idea what that is about. Can't understand why you would get a discount for Marriott card.

I will have to remember to check that out. I still have never gotten to Iguana Joe's. Day before I left Jan 4. it rained so I went downtown by myself. Went over to I.J.'s to finally try it. It was packed so I left. I'll get there someday.

You don't have to be a Marriott member to buy the Dinner for 2 certificates.
Old Tuesday, April 4th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Almost Aruban

elisabeth_nj is on a distinguished road

Not to stray from the Marriott subject, but last night on the plane they were passing out USAir credit card apps and explained all the perks. Well I have one and didn't know that I could board with First Class with it and check in at the First Class counter. Dang...I didn't have to wait on the long line in Philly afterall!!!
Old Tuesday, April 4th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Darryl is on a distinguished road

THere seems to be a lack of communication between Marriott corporate and the individual Marriott properties. Two years ago, we cashed in our American Airlines points with one of the web sites that will handle that for Marriott "Dollars". When I asked at the front desk at the Aruba Marriott whether they would be accpted at Tuscany's the clerk disappeared into the office behind the desk for at least ten minutes! When he came out, the answer was.."Yes they will be accepted". A couple of nights later, when checking in at the reservations desk at Tuscany's, I showed the card to the maitre d'...he was taken aback and said he would have to check with management. He returned some time later, after we had been seated and told us, "yes they are acceptable," only that we should not expect change or credit if the entire value of the card is not used. We got that straightened out and presented the card to the wait person who was equally perplexed. Finally....the card was accepted...no problems. We did the same thing last year....with the same reactions!!! But...be persistent!!

Old Tuesday, April 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl
THere seems to be a lack of communication between Marriott corporate and the individual Marriott properties. Two years ago, we cashed in our American Airlines points with one of the web sites that will handle that for Marriott "Dollars". When I asked at the front desk at the Aruba Marriott whether they would be accpted at Tuscany's the clerk disappeared into the office behind the desk for at least ten minutes! When he came out, the answer was.."Yes they will be accepted". A couple of nights later, when checking in at the reservations desk at Tuscany's, I showed the card to the maitre d'...he was taken aback and said he would have to check with management. He returned some time later, after we had been seated and told us, "yes they are acceptable," only that we should not expect change or credit if the entire value of the card is not used. We got that straightened out and presented the card to the wait person who was equally perplexed. Finally....the card was accepted...no problems. We did the same thing last year....with the same reactions!!! But...be persistent!!

Seems everyone is confused at Marriott. Alittle while ago I called with a question about the Dinner for Two certificate. It was the phone # listed on the Marriott website for questions about the certificate. The guy couldn't even answer my question. I said "can't you look at the website" and "read what I'm reading". He said "I can't look at the website" - I don't know what website your on. I said "aren't you Marriott - I'm on the Marriott website. I can't beleive he said this - but he did "I don't know how to get on the Marriott website".

Duh - I couldn't beleive he said that.
Old Tuesday, April 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM

andrea j. is on a distinguished road

Well ....................that is way more money for dinner than
Paul and I would spend.
BUT, if you and Charlie get a wonderful dinner and a nice night out
then the money is well spent.

I bet LG Smiths would be a nice bet too.
Everyone i know that has gone there has loved it.

andrea
Old Wednesday, April 5th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Smile Re: Marriott's Dinner for Two - A Great Deal

Sorry to sound ignorant....where on the Marriott website is the offer for the dinner special? Please let me have the URL. THANKS!!

Old Wednesday, April 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl
Sorry to sound ignorant....where on the Marriott website is the offer for the dinner special? Please let me have the URL. THANKS!!
Don't be silly Darryl. Asking is not sounding ignorant. Here's the site. Click on where it says "Dinner for Two". You can order the certificate from the website or call to order. To get the phone # you have to click on "shopping cart".

https://gifts.marriott.com/(jqtz3l45...45)/index.aspx
Old Wednesday, April 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Thanks, Liz!

Old Wednesday, April 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM

scrappy119 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Marriott's Dinner for Two - A Great Deal

Marriott has a discount card for people who stay at the ocean or surf club that you can use at different places around the island. When you check in they tell you to see the concerge and they give you the card and a list of places that excepts the discount card.