Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Saturday, April 9th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Jerseygirl is on a distinguished road
Talking More questions

OK, I've never been out of the US. Shame on me right? So the whole declaration thinggy with customs scares me. So, say I want to take some of my jewelry the with me. How do they know it is mine, I brought it there, and not make me have to pay duties on it? Also, what is the paper work you have to fill out on the plane. What kind of questions are they asking? I am so excited about this trip! You guys all have me stoked!! This is gonna be awesome!!

Stacy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, April 9th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Aruba Expert

barbiesara2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: More questions

Calm down - millions of people travel every day, wear their jewelry, carry lots of money and wear expensive clothes. The form you fill out on the way to Aruba is for Aruban Customs and they ask your name, address, birth date, where you were born, where you are staying and for how long. No big deal - they don't look at your jewelry believe me. Coming home you have to fill out a form for US Customs and Immigration and on that form you list all of your purchases on the island up to $800 (heard they just raised it from $600). No big deal. Go and have a great time.
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Almost Aruban

BigPapa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OK, I've never been out of the US. Shame on me right? So the whole declaration thinggy with customs scares me. So, say I want to take some of my jewelry the with me. How do they know it is mine, I brought it there, and not make me have to pay duties on it? Also, what is the paper work you have to fill out on the plane. What kind of questions are they asking? I am so excited about this trip! You guys all have me stoked!! This is gonna be awesome!!

Stacy
Jerseygirl - Stoked is a good word -Awesome is a good word - But when you are really their - You'l know what those words Really mean. You should have a Great time, and when you finally do have to come home - felling Sad is normal and should go away in about a Month. Don't get burnt.<BigPapa>
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 10:58 AM

PamC is on a distinguished road

Jerseygirl,

go to customs.gov there on the right side of the page is a blue column, go to "what to know before you go". All the info you need. I too have never been outside of the USA. The site says to just take any receipts for expensive jewelry, cameras, laptops, etc.

You'll also find out about passports and the like.
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

can i also give a suggestion? do you really need to take expensive jewelry? remember, if you forget to lock it up, it could be history. use your good stuff at home and take some costume jewelry with you. nothing that can ruin a good vacation more than losing something you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamC
Jerseygirl,

go to customs.gov there on the right side of the page is a blue column, go to "what to know before you go". All the info you need. I too have never been outside of the USA. The site says to just take any receipts for expensive jewelry, cameras, laptops, etc.

You'll also find out about passports and the like.
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Aruba Expert

TomFrederick is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: More questions

>>> "No big deal."
---- Ditto. Just keep your receipts, add them up, put total on form.
I guess if you get some very expensive ring or something like that you should list it but I have always just written "Misc items and gifts" and the total. And they have never asked me to spell it out. Don't think they want you to list every single shirt, box of candy, dress, bed sheet, ...... you purchase with the price listed.
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry
Leave your good stuff at home and take some costume jewelry with you. nothing that can ruin a good vacation more than losing something you love.
I have to agree. My wife and I see people on the beach wearing jewelery and ask ourselves, "Why?". Who are they trying to impress? We know you have money because you are here. Why take a chance of losing you good stuff.

Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Smile Re: More questions

OK, I don't need a lecture here, lol. I don't bring my really good stuff anywhere. I know better. But I don't wear custom because I am allergic on my wrists, my neck and my ears. I am talking about stuff I usually wear, a few rings, including my wedding, my mother's, and my grandmother's wedding bands on my pinkies that I never take off (very thin gold bands, one with diamond chips), a couple bracelets maybe (don't usally wear them, but I do like to when I dress up) two small petite necklesses and a cross that I never take off, and earrings (diamond studs) I don't take off except to clean. I just want to know if I am going to be able to wear what I usually wear without having to have receipts that I no longer have, or are they gonna try and say I bought them there? I know what you mean about people with big pieces on the beach, I think it's stupid too, but my pieces I always wear are small and personal. If the Marriott has a room safe I should be OK. I mean if that's the case, we'd better not even take cash with us, right?

I saw the web page, but I'm just wondering if they hassel people about this kind of thing...it seems rediculous to me to have to have receipts for everything you take on vacation. Will I need a receipt for other things too, like a digital camera, ipod, etc., you know what I mean, right? What I mean to say is how strict are they with this stuff? Do you need receipts for all of this stuff?

Thanks, Stacy
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

well you answered the most important question...you do wear it. if you wear it, bring it. no one will bother you at customs. you are not talking about extravagant multi $ items. just be cautious in the ocean. if the jewelry is at all loose it will get more so. anything such as a ring that comes off easily in tub, shower, or sink should be removed and locked in your room safe or you will be running around looking for that guy with the metal detector instead of sitting with a frozen drink.

btw, i swear we aren't trying to lecture you. you haven't been to the islands and some of us have several times. there are people who wear more heavy jewelry than mr t and leave it on dressers and in purses. we have all seen it and know that they really risk theft. it rarely is the housekeeping staff or the aruban people that would take the items. it's other 'tourists' or supposed tourists who are out there looking for the easy mark.

also stacy, i can't do under 14k myself or i look like the green, rashy, swollen itchy lady. i don't take much but what i take is 14k or more. so i do understand but just want to protect the newbies.

Quote:
OK, I don't need a lecture here, lol. I don't bring my really good stuff anywhere. I know better. But I don't wear custom because I am allergic on my wrists, my neck and my ears. I am talking about stuff I usually wear, a few rings, including my wedding, my mother's, and my grandmother's wedding bands on my pinkies that I never take off (very thin gold bands, one with diamond chips), a couple bracelets maybe (don't usally wear them, but I do like to when I dress up) two small petite necklesses and a cross that I never take off, and earrings (diamond studs) I don't take off except to clean. I just want to know if I am going to be able to wear what I usually wear without having to have receipts that I no longer have, or are they gonna try and say I bought them there? I know what you mean about people with big pieces on the beach, I think it's stupid too, but my pieces I always wear are small and personal. If the Marriott has a room safe I should be OK. I mean if that's the case, we'd better not even take cash with us, right?

I saw the web page, but I'm just wondering if they hassel people about this kind of thing...it seems rediculous to me to have to have receipts for everything you take on vacation. Will I need a receipt for other things too, like a digital camera, ipod, etc., you know what I mean, right? What I mean to say is how strict are they with this stuff? Do you need receipts for all of this stuff?

Thanks, Stacy
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks, Stacy
I bring about the same as you, including stuff I have previously bought in Aruba. When at the beach or pool, I leave them in my room safe, except for the studs. Then when I go out at night, I take out what I want to wear.
I have never had a problem at customs coming home, even with the Aruban stuff I had previously bought.
Just be wise and of course, have fun!

Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Thanks everyone!! Now I know. Yes, I want to be sipping frozen drinks while floating on my raft!! Damn, I can't wait, *BIG GRIN* I just found out from Marriott I can stay in the same suite for the last two nights and not have to move. I AM a happy girl. Now I just have to see about getting that ocean view since I'm reading on my confirmation "standard view" and the guy on the phone last night told me it was basically a "view of nothing", which does not please me. I need to "visual" of the water, beach, pool, garden. Do you think a $50 at the time of check in may persuade them to give me a nicer view?? Money always helps, right?...has anyone dealt with that at the Marriott?

Stacy
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 07:22 PM

CalifTeresa is on a distinguished road

Hi, I travel out of the country as much as possible. I agree with some of the other posters, especially when it's a beach atmosphere. I wear my wedding rings, my watch and a pair of earrings. My advice is to take more in the swimsuit line,at least three! I try to pack lite becuase I always wash our clothes mid week. That way I have more room in my luggage to bring crap home in By the way, Aruba has some Great tanning creams and lotions! There is one, I forget the name of it but it's supposaly made from carrot extract. I buy tons of that stuff to bring home.Teeheehee.....Good Luck, Teresa