Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Thursday, November 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM

DJSTEVEZ is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb NEW Essential Items for trips to Aruba...they'll save you money!!!

I'm a technology junky, but you don't need to be one to use the items I brought with me to Aruba this year that saved me serious cash!

My Laptop. I don't go anywhere without it, but in addition to entertainment, it is a key piece of technology to save you serious bucks and enhance your good time.

Magic Jack Magic Jack is a device that allows anyone to use Voice Over Internet Protocol to make phone calls for nearly nothing. You buy the device which includes a years worth of unlimited free calls for $39.95. You get to pick the number assigned to it, or can port over your home phone if you like. You plug the device into your laptop's USB port, it self loads & adjusts, then either through the computer or with any standard phone plugged into Magic Jack, you can call the states from Aruba, direct, for NO ADDITIONAL MONEY!!!! Of course you need an internet connection, which depending on where you stay in Aruba may cost a few $ more. You can even try magic Jack for a free 30 day trial if you like. magicJack PLUS - FREE Local and Long Distance

Cordless Phone I took my cordless phone from home and that's what I plugged into Magic Jack. This way I wasn't tethered to a wired phone & the Laptop when I was talking on the phone.

Wireless Router One of the places I stay during my annual 2 weeks in Aruba is the Marriott Surf Club. In spite of all the luxury you still need to plug their Cat 6 cable directly into your Laptop if you want an Internet Connection in your room...it's free so that's cool, but not having a wireless connection (aka WiFi) is a major hassle...but not if you bring your wireless router from home. I plug my Marriott Room's Cat 6 cable into my wireless router, plug the router's a/c cable into the wall, fire up my lappy and viola, a wireless Internet Connection (aka WiFi). This is also key for Smart Phones...you can get texts, Internet & E-mail on your Smart Phone via WiFi for free WITHOUT using a very costly international roaming rates/data package.

Last edited by DJSTEVEZ; Thursday, November 8th, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook