Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default New Zero Tolerance rule for drinking and driving

Someone posted this on another post and I thought it was important to make it a topic:

So, first of all, in past vacations we have found that drinking a beer in public was not frowned on, and in some places encouraged by the local retailers. Even more, having an open drink in a vehicle was not an issue.
Are the same rules followed in Aruba or can someone shed some light on this? *note* I'm not thinking of drinking all day and night and driving home from a club but rather a nice cold beer in the middle of the day on the drive "home" from the beach...

Aruba police are stepping up these days. It is "Aruba Security & Crime Prevention" month and there has been alot happening since the new government has stepped in. They announced a 'zero tolerance rule' due to the many deaths and accidents that have been occurring on the island. So yes, they will stop you if you are drunk and driving. You do not want this to happen. Stay at your resort, take cabs. Drinking and driving is not a 'sport' or something you can 'get away with' because you are a tourist.

You wouldn't dare do this in the US - - it's not something to even consider anywhere you go.

Last edited by lizzardo; Monday, January 11th, 2010 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Aruba Expert

LocaLisa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Zero Tolerance rule for drinking and driving

Just an addition to Lizz post they are also stopping you if you don't have seatbelt on
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

yes liz, they posted here too and i told them exactly the same thing about the dangers and safety. thank you for reinforcing it with the additional information.

one reminder that you will know about by living on the island. if you are caught doing something illegal the jail is named kia. kia is not air conditioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
Someone posted this on another post and I thought it was important to make it a topic:

So, first of all, in past vacations we have found that drinking a beer in public was not frowned on, and in some places encouraged by the local retailers. Even more, having an open drink in a vehicle was not an issue.
Are the same rules followed in Aruba or can someone shed some light on this? *note* I'm not thinking of drinking all day and night and driving home from a club but rather a nice cold beer in the middle of the day on the drive "home" from the beach...

Aruba police are stepping up these days. It is National Safety month and there has been alot happening since the new government has stepped in. They announced a 'zero tolerance rule' due to the many deaths and accidents that have been occurring on the island. So yes, they will stop you if you are drunk and driving. You do not want this to happen. Stay at your resort, take cabs. Drinking and driving is not a 'sport' or something you can 'get away with' because you are a tourist.

You wouldn't dare do this in the US - - it's not something to even consider anywhere you go.
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Aruba Expert

KIA has no air conditioning. You sleep on a concrete slab with a hole
in the floor for a toilet. You are only allowed to be visited by your
attorney, only allowed to have the bible and the food is not 'resort'
quality to say the least.

They are kidding anymore. There have been a lot of deaths and
really bad accidents. The Aruban government is really looking at
things, talking about it and doing something. I for one am glad
to see this happening.
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 12:24 PM

jawz is on a distinguished road

Last time I stayed at Kia I had a fabulous ocean front suite.
I recommeneded it on Trip Advisor! NOT!
Ever see "Locked up Abroad" ?
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Administrator

hahahaha... love it.

we who know the island know it really is ocean front. but the breezes don't blow in the cells. not my idea of how to spend even a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz View Post
Last time I stayed at Kia I had a fabulous ocean front suite.
I recommeneded it on Trip Advisor! NOT!
Ever see "Locked up Abroad" ?
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Weekends are a little crowded but if you make a reservation early on a Friday there is plenty of room and no one at the pool. Great Gym. Okay, I cant help myself, I need a drink.
P.S. Now you know where JAWZ comes from!
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 12:58 PM

surlee is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this update!
It's good to know and that's why I posed the question.
In St. Maarten, there was no issue with having a beer while driving although I'm sure that being drunk would not have been accepted.

No problem with respecting this law as I prefer to spend my nights in the place I've paid for and although the island is beautiful and all, I would prefer to leave on the flight that I'm scheduled to be aboard!

Thanks!
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator

you are a wise person and a welcome addition to this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlee View Post
Thanks for this update!
It's good to know and that's why I posed the question.
In St. Maarten, there was no issue with having a beer while driving although I'm sure that being drunk would not have been accepted.

No problem with respecting this law as I prefer to spend my nights in the place I've paid for and although the island is beautiful and all, I would prefer to leave on the flight that I'm scheduled to be aboard!

Thanks!
Old Monday, January 11th, 2010, 10:12 PM

phillyboater is on a distinguished road

It is wonderful news to hear that the new government is getting tough on drunk driving. I hope this also includes getting tough on crime.
Old Sunday, January 17th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Aruba Expert

Just an example - from Jawz's news article:

Jail Time
A Venezulano was sentenced to 4 mos. in Kia, with 160 days of community service for a DUI conviction and causing an accident while running a red light.
Old Sunday, January 17th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

ouch! love it! you know, we had multiple accident deaths caused by drunk drivers in baltimore city and county last year. most had been drunk drivers that were released with probation before verdict if they went to AA meetings. there is something wrong with that picture.

Quote:
Just an example - from Jawz's news article:

Jail Time
A Venezulano was sentenced to 4 mos. in Kia, with 160 days of community service for a DUI conviction and causing an accident while running a red light.
Old Sunday, January 17th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Not that I ever plan or hope to visit, but just curiosity.....

Is KIA both short term and long term "stays"?

I assumed it was like "prison" in the US as contrasted with "county jail".

(Edit: If I carefully read what Jawz submitted, I would have seen that someone had a 4-month sentence)

Last edited by JohnJT; Sunday, January 17th, 2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Apology
Old Sunday, January 17th, 2010, 11:17 PM

JohnJT, the interpetation of KIA, I really don't know, But it is PRISON, not the local hold up for few hours. Trust me , it is prison. Thanks for the question.
Old Sunday, January 17th, 2010, 11:22 PM

JohnJT, forgot to mention, one day in jail is to long. Kia is the final sentence unless your own country has reason to prosecute you when you are done here.
Don't forget or watch : locked up Abroad"
Regards
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM

Helmut is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't you think the ATA would make visitors more aware of this"zero tolerance policy" by posting on it on their website and making the ground rules clear for all?

Quote:

Aruba police are stepping up these days. It is "Aruba Security & Crime Prevention" month and there has been alot happening since the new government has stepped in. They announced a 'zero tolerance rule' due to the many deaths and accidents that have been occurring on the island. So yes, they will stop you if you are drunk and driving. You do not want this to happen. Stay at your resort, take cabs. Drinking and driving is not a 'sport' or something you can 'get away with' because you are a tourist.

Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Aruba Expert

Think about what the ATA does - promote tourism....
This is not something on the 'One Happy Island" theme.

Also you think Jamaica, St Croix or any other island would
say anything about it either? Nah.....

Been on both of those islands and have to say they are
both WAY WORSE than Aruba as far as their attitude
of drinking and driving is concerned!
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Almost Aruban

donnie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyboater View Post
It is wonderful news to hear that the new government is getting tough on drunk driving. I hope this also includes getting tough on crime.

Ditto.

I think the new government has been hearing about and/or reading some of the bulletin board comments.
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Administrator

helmut, no one wants to say anything anywhere. i always use my home town as an example. baltimore is a wonderful city-as much or more history than dc. great shopping, world famous restaurants, lovely parks, terrific museums, the national aquarium, and the list can go on forever. however, we have crime and if you accidentally walk away from the tourist areas that are heavily patrolled you can easily be a victim of crime. rarely are the crimes in these areas mentioned and certainly not in travel brochures.

if ata mentions the new policy, they assume tourists will think that there is a problem. therefore, they don't mention it and you don't know until you are caught. in some ways i tend to agree on drinking and driving since if you are idiot enough to do on the island what you wouldn't do at home you deserve to be caught and if you do it at home too and are caught on the island then bravo for the polis.

honestly, most are aware that this is a dutch island. those that aren't should make themselves aware as travelers on foreign soil. the laws for crime are strict and should be. the legal system is several centuries older than our system and in general is tougher on crime. even if it wasn't, we should not do as a visitor somewhere what we shouldn't do at home. it's simple. if you visit a place, treat it as you would expect visitors to treat your home town.

also, understand that i don't direct this at you, helmut. i have read enough of what you have written to know that you respect where you travel. i have absolutely no doubt of it. but maybe, you and i will see a difference because the new administration is making a big effort to fix whatever they find wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Wouldn't you think the ATA would make visitors more aware of this"zero tolerance policy" by posting on it on their website and making the ground rules clear for all?
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Aruba Expert

The new government has been talking about crime. Which is better
than 'sweeping it under the rug' like before.

Many arrests of 'organized' crime due to a commission. They are
also investigating the police department and I heard (99% sure)
that they will be bring dutch police here to help out w/ training
(and possibly looking at the attitudes and approach to crime).
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Sherry, have you ever seen "The Wire" series on HBO? Not a tourist view of Baltimore.
Our Daytona area of Florida still calls itself "World's Most Famous Beach". But the city of Daytona Beach has big problems. Many people would not go to Orlando if they knew about the high homicide numbers in the city of Orlando and surrounding Orange County.
Bad things happen to good people...and it is always advisable to be aware of your surroundings.

I think tourist literature should concentrate on the positive things, but it is good to have access to a realistic view. Someone like Jawz can provide that.

As visitors, we will most usually comment on the positive things!
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Administrator

yes, i sure have seen it and it is accurate. before that was homicide which won many awards also. it was filmed and was about an area a short distance from our office. not the tourist side of things but shows like that should not scare off tourists, it just should scare them into reality.

nothing and nowhere is totally safe. we need to see both sides. as long as the news is legit and honest reporting i want to see it. i hope ata and ahata allow it to be seen. an informed tourist is a good, safe and comfortable tourist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJT View Post
Sherry, have you ever seen "The Wire" series on HBO? Not a tourist view of Baltimore.
Our Daytona area of Florida still calls itself "World's Most Famous Beach". But the city of Daytona Beach has big problems. Many people would not go to Orlando if they knew about the high homicide numbers in the city of Orlando and surrounding Orange County.
Bad things happen to good people...and it is always advisable to be aware of your surroundings.

I think tourist literature should concentrate on the positive things, but it is good to have access to a realistic view. Someone like Jawz can provide that.

As visitors, we will most usually comment on the positive things!
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

Wow, this has been eye-opening. We have been gong to Aruba for many many years, and drinking in the car or out never seemed to be discouraged. You say this is because of the new government? I just hope they are coming down as hard on the locals as they are on the tourists. Seems like the tourists would be an easy mark for the polis (you can pick out a tourist a mile away). But plenty of locals are drinking and driving I can tell you that. Let's just all use our heads here. Drinking and driving never mix, no matter where you are.
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Administrator

you are totally correct in that last sentence or two. btw, no, they are not picking on tourists. they are going after anyone guilty of it. the injuries and fatalities caused by drunk driving have increased there as they have everywhere and they are doing something about it. i say bravo to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
Wow, this has been eye-opening. We have been gong to Aruba for many many years, and drinking in the car or out never seemed to be discouraged. You say this is because of the new government? I just hope they are coming down as hard on the locals as they are on the tourists. Seems like the tourists would be an easy mark for the polis (you can pick out a tourist a mile away). But plenty of locals are drinking and driving I can tell you that. Let's just all use our heads here. Drinking and driving never mix, no matter where you are.
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
you are totally correct in that last sentence or two. btw, no, they are not picking on tourists. they are going after anyone guilty of it. the injuries and fatalities caused by drunk driving have increased there as they have everywhere and they are doing something about it. i say bravo to them!

I am so sorry. I certainly didn't mean to imply they would be picking on tourists. I am all for zero tolerance. I wish we had it right here. You're right, there's way too many injuries/deaths from drunk driving EVERYWHERE. It's pretty sad when I can think of 4-5 people in the last few years that I know personally that have been affected by this crime. Maybe we could take a lesson from this government. I am truly glad for this thread.
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Administrator

oh dear, i didn't mean to pick on you. you had a very valid question. your comments and questions are wonderful and help this discussion along greatly.

i totally agree about the lesson we can learn from this new government. my community is losing people almost daily to drunk or drugged drivers. if only we could do what they are doing.

Quote:
I am so sorry. I certainly didn't mean to imply they would be picking on tourists. I am all for zero tolerance. I wish we had it right here. You're right, there's way too many injuries/deaths from drunk driving EVERYWHERE. It's pretty sad when I can think of 4-5 people in the last few years that I know personally that have been affected by this crime. Maybe we could take a lesson from this government. I am truly glad for this thread.
Old Monday, January 18th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Aruba Expert

Oh I know you weren't picking on me. That's why you're the mild mannered meek supermoderator. You have the best way with words.....even at this hour. Always enjoy your comments so much.
Old Tuesday, January 19th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Administrator

thank you

Quote:
Oh I know you weren't picking on me. That's why you're the mild mannered meek supermoderator. You have the best way with words.....even at this hour. Always enjoy your comments so much.
Old Tuesday, January 19th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Helmut is on a distinguished road

OK, You're all right, the ATA website wouldn't be the site for awareness on this issue. But, anyone should be able to visit the Polis website and have any new initiatives clearly spelled out for potential visitors. I know all of our local police departments have anti-drunk driving slogans on their websites and they get federal funding for sobriety checkpoints periodically.