Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Sunday, October 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Helmut is on a distinguished road
Default Passing through Aruban Customs upon Arrival

Passing through Aruban Customs this year went well, I had heard some rumbling about searching bags but encountered no problems. They asked if we had anything to declare and I held up my bag from duty-free from Miami but they were not that interested. We like to pack food and also quite a bit of alcohol. This year I bubble wrapped 6 1.75 Litre plastic bottles of alcohol and wine in my checked bags, it lasted the entire two weeks I was therearty:. I calculated the cost savings at $150 compared to buying it at Lings, not too shabby. This was the first time I tried the TSA 3-1-1 liquid carry-on program, I brought 4 3 OZ containers (in a 1 quart ziplock bag) of Absolut Vodka and used for my Bloody Mary on the flight down, worked out well. Another great trip to "One Happy Island".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, October 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Aruba Expert

TomFrederick is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Passing through Aruban Customs upon Arrival

>>>> "They asked if we had anything to declare"
----- Everytime we walked to the exit door the uniform agents by the exit door just stand there.
>>>> "I held up my bag from duty-free from Miami"
----- Now have heard by carrying a duty-free bag they sometimes will look in it. Its may be duty-free taking it out of the States but if over the Aruban Import Limit have heard they will tax you.
Old Monday, October 12th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Passing through Aruban Customs upon Arrival

Hello Tom, I only had the allowable one litre per person in the duty free bag I bought in Miami, the remaining 6-1.75 litres I had packed in my 4 checked bags. I also noticed when leaving Aruba this year, the duty-free shops(all new stores from 2 years ago) they had posted under the cigarettes, the allowable two carton amount you can return with. The saleswoman told me to keep 2 cartons in the duty-free bag and pack the remaining in my carry-on. When I passed through US customs, the agent there was not too interested in seeing what I had in the bag, he eventually glanced in the bag and saw the three cartons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFrederick View Post
>>>> "They asked if we had anything to declare"
----- Everytime we walked to the exit door the uniform agents by the exit door just stand there.
>>>> "I held up my bag from duty-free from Miami"
----- Now have heard by carrying a duty-free bag they sometimes will look in it. Its may be duty-free taking it out of the States but if over the Aruban Import Limit have heard they will tax you.
Old Monday, October 12th, 2009, 11:53 AM

JanetB is on a distinguished road

Did you know there is actually a limit to the amount of alcohol you can pack in your checked bag? This is from the TSA site:

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage
Please note, you canít take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.
You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if itís packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.
Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

Also - you are not allowed to bring your own alcohol on the plane at all - I've seen them confiscate drinks from passengers before - so you're lucky you didn't get caught Not sure if this is to prevent passengers getting snookered enroute or to assure the airline makes the $5/drink.
Old Monday, October 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetB View Post
Did you know there is actually a limit to the amount of alcohol you can pack in your checked bag?
We had no alcohol coming in on September 12th, but we did hear the Aruba customs people asking several people if they had alcohol. Maybe it is just coincidence, but it is the first time we have heard that in 20 years.
Old Tuesday, October 13th, 2009, 06:35 AM

I hand carry it on from the duty-free shop every year. The TSA screeners never asked what was in my 3 OZ containers in my ziplock bag. I asked the stewardess for a V8 when the drink cart came around, she said they either Tomato Juice or Bloody Mary mix. Do people actually drink Bloody Mary mix straight?

"Also - you are not allowed to bring your own alcohol on the plane at all - I've seen them confiscate drinks from passengers before - so you're lucky you didn't get caught Not sure if this is to prevent passengers getting snookered enroute or to assure the airline makes the $5/drink."
Old Tuesday, October 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM

JanetB is on a distinguished road

Sorry - worded wrong - you are allowed to bring unopened alcohol on the plane - but you are not allowed to use your own alcohol on the plane to mix drinks. Had the flight attendant seen you adding the alcohol to your drink, they would have confiscated it (at least this is what I've observed in the past).
Old Tuesday, October 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM

That's what I've heard as well.