Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, February 20th, 2006, 03:21 PM

carlaw is on a distinguished road
Default Phone Cards

What does everyone do about calling home to the states and calling to confirm restaurant reservations while in Aruba?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, February 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Aruba Expert

susanna is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Phone Cards

Some people buy calling cards for calling home to U.S. Others rent cell phones if they want to be able to stay in touch. Try Charles at Aruba fastphones...nothing but good comments from his clients!!! He has a web site.
Old Monday, February 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

Ask the conciere desk at your resort to make your dinner reservations. Or you can buy a phone card to call home to the U.S.
Phone cards can be brought at gift shops, mini-markets, Ling's supermarket, gas stations, etc.

If you are planning to make (or receive) atlot of calls to the U.S., I would suggest renting a cell phone. Try Charles at Aruba Fast Phones. Low rates and good service. http://www.arubafastphones.com
Old Monday, February 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

I also find that renting a cell phone is the cheapest and easiest way to go!

Old Monday, February 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Phone Cards

I bought a new phone this year directly from Setar for $94 and had them load it with $25. I also bought $20 worth of Ventaha cards giving me 120 more minutes. So far I haven't even started the second card. I'll keep it for next year. I have my own number, and after six months the phone is deactivated if I don't use it on island, but next year I'll simply go back to Setar and they'll reactivate it free of charge. I've called home many times and used it to call people on the island... it's great. Now, with the Ventaha cards, you only have to give the pin # one time, and it gives you the option to have your phone remember the pin... no more dialing a gazilion numbers... simply call wherever you need to with the area code and number. It's worked well for my needs!
Old Monday, February 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S
I bought a new phone this year directly from Setar for $94 and had them load it with $25. I also bought $20 worth of Ventaha cards giving me 120 more minutes. So far I haven't even started the second card. I'll keep it for next year. I have my own number, and after six months the phone is deactivated if I don't use it on island, but next year I'll simply go back to Setar and they'll reactivate it free of charge. I've called home many times and used it to call people on the island... it's great. Now, with the Ventaha cards, you only have to give the pin # one time, and it gives you the option to have your phone remember the pin... no more dialing a gazilion numbers... simply call wherever you need to with the area code and number. It's worked well for my needs!

Elaine - I also bought a phone from Setar (in December). My phone cost $74.00. I thought you had to use a Setar card to load more minutes. I didn't think a Ventaha card would work. Are you sure?

Setar told me that you had to use the phone within 8 months (not 6 months) but if the phone wasn't used within the 6 months, they said it would cost $40.00 to activate the phone again. I'm so confused.
Old Monday, February 20th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Phone Cards

Liz... I bought a Segam from Setar, and have had absolutely no problem with the Ventaha card. They told me 6 months for deactivation if not used, and no activation fee when I'm back here next year. Guess I'll see next year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz from N.J.
Elaine - I also bought a phone from Setar (in December). My phone cost $74.00. I thought you had to use a Setar card to load more minutes. I didn't think a Ventaha card would work. Are you sure?

Setar told me that you had to use the phone within 8 months (not 6 months) but if the phone wasn't used within the 6 months, they said it would cost $40.00 to activate the phone again. I'm so confused.
Old Tuesday, February 21st, 2006, 07:50 AM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

We buy the phone cards (ventaha) for calling home, I think they cost like $10. Easy to use, and the phone tells you how many minutes you have left. They sell them at convenience marts everywhere...

For restaurants - your concierge will do it for you, or you can call from the phone in your room (local call)
Old Tuesday, February 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM

Jeff Stanley is on a distinguished road

My wife has a T-mobile cell phone. It is a world traveler phone and that is what she uses. It cost a little bit more but it is well worth it.
Old Monday, March 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Selenia is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I visit Aruba very often and this time I had the chance to buy an IRIE CALLING CARD, incredible rates!!!

USA for only 8.5 cents per MINUTE!!! with a $5.00 I was able to speak for almost 1 HOUR!!!
These calling cards have a local access number, therefore, you can use them from your HOTEL ROOM!!!
Great quality!!! Lost of minutes, don't miss the chance to call home with the best calling card in the Island.

They are for sale at MAGNET Perfume & Gift shop in CASA DEL MAR, also I got them in SWEET HEART (Kiosk at the Mill Hotel).

Enjoy!
Selenia.
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Tom L is on a distinguished road

if you rent a phone from charles at arubafastphones you can not only call out but also receive calls. the rates are excellent and convenience is great.
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 09:19 AM

andrea j. is on a distinguished road

If you make reservations with charles (fastphones) a week or 2 or more in advance, he can issue you your cell phone number prior to you arriving in aruba, so that you can can leave that number with the folks at home in the event they have to reach you.

We had rented 2x from charles and eventually bought a cell phone from setar and add the minutes when we are in aruba.
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Selenia is on a distinguished road

Any idea about the rates? how much to call the USA?
Do I have to leave a deposit or do I have to give my Credit card information?? Do I pay for receiving calls?

Thanks,

S.
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenia
Any idea about the rates? how much to call the USA?
Do I have to leave a deposit or do I have to give my Credit card information?? Do I pay for receiving calls?

Thanks,

S.
Here is Charles' webpage:
http://www.arubafastphones.com/

You can email him with any questions you may have! I am renting from him also this year! If you purchase an Aruba Plus Card, he will waive the credit card deposit!